PDA

View Full Version : Productive Outs

hold2dibber
02-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Interesting blurb (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=olney_buster#20060227&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos3) on ESPN.com about productive outs in '05. Not surprisingly, our man Tadahito was first in all of baseball in terms of productive outs (i.e., sacrificing himself by moving a runner along). More interstingly was the guy tied for 6th in all of baseball in this category -- Mr. Juan Uribe. This seems to give some credence to the thought that Uribe may be able to adjust to the number 2 spot in the order.

Madvora
02-27-2006, 03:19 PM
I love it when you analyze.

INSox56
02-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Just read the same article. Very interesting. Guillen said something last week about this in Uribe. He said something about his productivity with runners on is much better than people think and laughed saying that it's a different story when no one's on. I think these stats illustrate that perfectly. The article also mentions he's the #2 in productive percentage in the AL. Cool stuff, makes me anxious for the season baby

mjharrison72
02-27-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm sure this is available in another thread, but it is set in stone that Uribe will hit second this year, or is it just something Ozzie mentioned he'd try?

Either way, a stat like "productive outs" and the fact the Sox had two guys in the top six in the majors in that stat goes to show you that the "usual" stats don't always tell the whole story, and give more evidence as to why the Sox were able to be successful last year despite what some would perceive as a lack of solid stats.

Dan Mega
02-27-2006, 03:26 PM
I can't get the link to work.

Tekijawa
02-27-2006, 03:31 PM
I can't get the link to work.

So what your saying is that this thread is towards the bottom of the league in Productive links?

chisox06
02-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Very interesting. After reading that little blurb I feel a lot better about Uribe hitting 2nd. For some reason I see still view Juan as a some what undisciplined free swinging hitter (although it looks like he is improving that), but by those stats he looks like he would fit the two hole pretty good. As for Tadahito, I would like to see Ozzie put that bat in that guys hand, should be interesting.

Tekijawa
02-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Don't forget that Juan had trouble with Breaking balls, I have a feeling that he will see a lot less breaking balls with Pods on first in a lot of his At bats.

Iwritecode
02-27-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm sure this is available in another thread, but it is set in stone that Uribe will hit second this year, or is it just something Ozzie mentioned he'd try?

They've been talking about doing this all off-season. They are going to try it out in Spring Training and if it works, great. If it doesn't, we all know Ozzie is not afraid to make a change. See Takasu, Shingo.

Half Cocked Jack
02-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Uribe was the king of the sac fly last year. Dunno if that translates to being a good 2 hitter, but we'll see eh?

jabrch
03-01-2006, 12:47 AM
Don't forget that Juan had trouble with Breaking balls, I have a feeling that he will see a lot less breaking balls with Pods on first in a lot of his At bats.

Pods on 1st, and Thome/Konerko/Dye coming up after him...yeah, I see a lot of hittable fastballs. Uribe could really have a solid year in that spot.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-01-2006, 12:50 AM
So what your saying is that this thread is towards the bottom of the league in Productive links?

we need a tag for "sarcastically clapping"

Trav
03-01-2006, 12:51 AM
Pods on 1st, and Thome/Konerko/Dye coming up after him...yeah, I see a lot of hittable fastballs. Uribe could really have a solid year in that spot.

Does that mean Gooch's numbers will go down significantly because he won't be getting as many fastballs?

TheOldRoman
03-01-2006, 01:16 AM
Does that mean Gooch's numbers will go down significantly because he won't be getting as many fastballs?
No.
I don't believe he is as much of a fastball hitter as Uribe is, but I could be wrong. Either way, Iguchi will have Thome, Konerko and Dye hitting in front of him. Pitchers don't mess around as much when runners are on base. They will stay in the strike zone because they don't want to put another guy on base.

HomeFish
03-01-2006, 10:09 AM
So wait, Iguchi was a better #2 guy than Uribe, so therefore we should move Uribe into the #2 hole?

santo=dorf
03-01-2006, 10:42 AM
So wait, Iguchi was a better #2 guy than Uribe, so therefore we should move Uribe into the #2 hole?
:?:
He had one more productive out. Remember when you were whining about Iguchi not being a patient enough hitter in the 2 hole? I guess you just needs something to complain about. :rolleyes:

If Uribe can be a similar hitter to Iguchi in the #2 spot, he should be able to reproduce Iguchi's 2005 results. This will now allow Iguchi to improve his power numbers and drive more runs in down in the order.

But why try and improve the team? Homefish needs something to complain about.

batmanZoSo
03-01-2006, 11:24 AM
That's interesting, I admit I never picked up on that from watching. It does give the Uribe batting second argument some foundation. He'd see a lot of fastballs in front of Thome and with Pods on first scaring the hell out of the pitcher. It might really unleash his potential. And Tadahito would also be in a position to reach his potential batting down in the order, free to swing away.

VenturaSoxFan23
03-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Exactly, Ozzie wants to put Iguchi down in the order because he has the ability to get RBIs that way.

RichFitztightly
03-01-2006, 02:20 PM

No, what that study shows is that Uribe is a pretty good #2 guy hitting in a position where he had very little #2 responsibilities. What Ozzie is banking on is that Uribe will be as good as Iguchi in the #2 spot, while Iguchi will be much better than Uribe in the #6-#7 spot.

SoLongFrank
03-01-2006, 03:17 PM
I think the real basis for the move is that Ozzie looked at Uribe's #'s in 2004 & & 2005 & felt we should try moving him back to see if his number's pick up.

The big difference between the two yrs is about 30 runs.