PDA

View Full Version : Marble-mouthed Oaf Santo to "sing" 7th inning stretch regularly

Hangar18
02-27-2006, 03:19 PM
File this one under Were-not-very-original-are-we Pt38.

According to yesterdays Cubune, the Cubs are quietly going to have self-congratulator, broadcast oaf and media darling Ron Santo singing "take me out to the ballgame" on a semi-regular basis. What the Cubs are really trying to do in my opinion, is ease that buffoon into the public eye and completely take over a concept that was originally begun with Chicagos south-side White Sox. Have fun with this ..........

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-0602260257feb26,1,3730928.story?coll=chi-sportscubs-hed

SOXPHILE
02-27-2006, 03:32 PM
I saw this in the paper. HILARIOUS ! I love it. It continues to make that organization and their "fans" look dumber and dumber. I can't wait for the first time they're losing by a bunch of runs, and he's getting all upset and ready to weep in the booth, and all of a sudden, he's gotta stand up and be cheery, and sing the song. HA HA HA HA HA HA !! I hope one time he's leaning over, and his toupe falls off on national t.v.

cheeses_h_rice
02-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Reason #5,181 to say away from the Urinal.

:rolleyes:

veeter
02-27-2006, 03:41 PM
A very sad and pathetic organization, just got worse.

MadetoOrta
02-27-2006, 03:44 PM
This is about the right spot for Gary Coleman,,,,

1951Campbell
02-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Oooooohhhhhh nooooooooooooooo!!!!

:)

SOecks
02-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Great move by the Cubs marketing department. This will further the circus-like joke atmosphere of that place and their fans.

Dan Mega
02-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Reason #23407908272345 why Hangar should pay less attention to the Cubs and not give a crap what they do.:redneck

SouthSide_HitMen
02-27-2006, 04:46 PM
After complaints over the last few years that the Cubs are inviting too many minor celebrities to become guest conductors of the seventh-inning stretch

The bold phrase should be replaced by "too many so called celebrities from television programs aired by the Tribune's network "The WB".

They should have Santo or someone else sing it every day and concentrate on winning baseball, though that would go against nearly 100 years of tradition at the Friendly Confines.

MarySwiss
02-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Great move by the Cubs marketing department. This will further the circus-like joke atmosphere of that place and their fans.

Do the Cubs even HAVE a marketing department? I've seen no signs of one. :?:

SOecks
02-27-2006, 05:02 PM

Yeah, I guess I should have put "rumored marketing department":tongue:
And Hangar, I think it would be more realistic if you put "Fan favorite and all around nice guy Santo to sing 7th inning at cherished and historic Wrigley Field".

MarySwiss
02-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I guess I should have put "rumored marketing department":tongue:
And Hangar, I think it would be more realistic if you put "Fan favorite and all around nice guy Santo to sing 7th inning at cherished and historic Wrigley Field".

In fact, Hangar, it would not hurt to add, "Home of the Reigning (forbidden word that starts with an "A") Champions." :smile:

Hoffdaddydmb
02-27-2006, 07:25 PM
In fact, Hangar, it would not hurt to add, "Home of the Reigning (forbidden word that starts with an "A") Champions." :smile:
:roflmao:

hsnterprize
02-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Oh...dem Cubbies. Don't you just love how desperate they are in trying to maintain their lemming fan base? Sox...just keep winning. Everything will take care it itself.

The momentum towards the south side is clearly building up. "Frank vs. Kenny" soap opera or not...we all know the ultimate sign of a champion is what will fly over the Cell in April, and what jewelry players will show off.

JohnBasedowYoda
02-27-2006, 10:25 PM
man bring back ozzie.

Foulke You
02-27-2006, 10:46 PM
man bring back ozzie.
I assume you mean Ozzy as in the prince of darkness and not Ozzie as in good ol' #13:redneck

Foulke You
02-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Will Santo even be able to remember the lyrics to the song? What's the over/under on the first game that Santo botches the song up?

soxinem1
02-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Santo in HOF: Not Good
Santo in booth: Worse
Santo singing: Give me a ****ing break!

Honestly, I see this as a feeble attempt to get him more publicity to boost his HOF profile, as silly as it may sound.

They will probably hand out little brochures to fans and media people on the days he sings with his career highlights pasted all over it to try an build momentum.

Steelrod
02-28-2006, 05:26 AM

Honestly, I see this as a feeble attempt to get him more publicity to boost his HOF profile, as silly as it may sound.

They will probably hand out little brochures to fans and media people on the days he sings with his career highlights pasted all over it to try an build momentum.
Next, they'll have him bat in order to get him 10 more years of HOF ballots!

BackNBlack
02-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Thats funny I cant understand his Chevy comercials.

Hangar18
02-28-2006, 11:17 AM

Dont be surprised at how the Tribune Entertainment Corporation thinks ..........
This is exactly what Cubune is up to by having him sing it semi-regularly (to gauge response-then later slip him in full-time) to keep him in the public eye.
Shameless on their part and his.

Hangar18
02-28-2006, 11:19 AM

"..............you know, 1969 really brought Chicago together" -Ron Santo.
what a bunch of bs

"I see a World Series very soon here " - Ron Santo

Dick Allen
02-28-2006, 02:04 PM

They will probably hand out little brochures to fans and media people on the days he sings with his career highlights pasted all over it to try an build momentum.They'll probably also hand out a sheet with the words to the song for those simpletons.

soxinem1
03-01-2006, 07:57 PM
They'll probably also hand out a sheet with the words to the song for those simpletons.

They should have Randy Hundley sing on the days Santo doesn't!!!!

How embarrassing to their fans who really care....... nah, I'm all for it!!!!!

Scottiehaswheels
03-01-2006, 08:21 PM

Does diabetes rob you of your eyesight too?

SOXSINCE'70
03-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Reason #5,181 to say away from the Urinal.

:rolleyes:

I was up to 10,091 reasons.:D: :D:

SOXSINCE'70
03-03-2006, 08:17 AM
I assume you mean Ozzy as in the prince of darkness and not Ozzie as in good ol' #13:redneck

I still say Ozzy Osbourne sang the funniest version of "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" i've ever heard.IIRC,he started it "Let's go out to the ball field"
and at one point actually sang the lyric "I don't remember what I
have to sing".:D: :D:

MsSoxVixen22
03-03-2006, 09:12 AM

*****! I know.....everytime my Dad and I see those commercials and he says I see a Championship in the future...my Dad and I just look at eachother and laugh our asses off!

SOXPHILE
03-03-2006, 11:27 AM
*****! I know.....everytime my Dad and I see those commercials and he says I see a Championship in the future...my Dad and I just look at eachother and laugh our asses off!

Well, he was right....sorta.:cool:

I'm sure that, just like the rest of us, he was excitedly watching that glorious 11-1 post season, resulting in the WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP for the White Sox back in October. (He might have even gone to the parade !)

:santo "Zzzzz...uh...what ? Huh ? Pat, I got a fax here that says the White Sox won the World Series, and my Cubbies finished YET AGAIN under .500. Awww..jeez..."

miker
03-03-2006, 11:31 AM
You don't have to market when your product is the perfect baseball experience...

I think I just got sick typing that sentence!:puking:

miker
03-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Does diabetes rob you of your eyesight too?
Actually it does. Don't hate the man because he's a diabetic...there are plenty of other reasons.

0o0o0
03-03-2006, 11:47 AM
what would be even better (worse) is if they brought back crappy old cubs players to sing it like hector villanueva, mike harkey, and corey patterson

SOXPHILE
03-03-2006, 11:53 AM
what would be even better (worse) is if they brought back crappy old cubs players to sing it like hector villanueva, mike harkey, and corey patterson

Carmelo Martinez. Steve Ontiveros. Barry Foot. Man, those were some great teams.

slavko
03-03-2006, 12:03 PM
"..............you know, 1969 really brought Chicago together" -Ron Santo.
what a bunch of bs

He wasn't entirely wrong about 1969. It brought me together...with the White Sox. Plus he wasn't entirely wrong about the WS either. He was only 8.5 miles off.

In one of his memorable Blue Cross commercials where he talks about what good health he's in, his second leg was amputated during the TV run of the commercial and the jerks kept running it anyway.

Letting him sing the "stretch" may be a way of phasing out the celebs and if so, that's a good thing and long overdue..

VenturaSoxFan23
03-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Letting him sing the "stretch" may be a way of phasing out the celebs and if so, that's a good thing and long overdue..

Actually, that's the truth right there. Half of those people they ask to sing don't know the first thing about baseball, then they interview them over the next half-inning. I'm waiting for one of them to just blurt out, "I flipped through the channels while waiting for my room service and the Cubs were on one of them. I watched it and been a fan ever since...of the Braves."

Besides, the whole trick to singing "TMOTTBG" is to get to a part you don't know/forgot, then wave it over the crowd and the audio picks up maybe 100 drunken oafs botching the lyrics themselves.

thomas35forever
03-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Wow! This is great for America's team! I can't wait to see how the love for Santo is going to spread outside Chicago and beyond!

RadioheadRocks
03-06-2006, 12:00 AM

How about Carmen Fanzone playing it on the trumpet??? :rolling:

TornLabrum
03-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Wow! This is great for America's team! I can't wait to see how the love for Santo is going to spread outside Chicago and beyond!

:tealtutor:

SoxFan76
03-06-2006, 12:48 AM
Actually it does. Don't hate the man because he's a diabetic...there are plenty of other reasons.

My grandpa did. I think he had a good reason though, if there is such a thing. He gets his leg amputated and before you can blink an eye he's got a fake leg and is on the golf course. My grandfather? In a wheelchair in constant, agonizing pain. (yes, he had diabetes)

Never bitched once though.