View Full Version : The spineless wonder's escape clause

Daver
01-10-2002, 07:17 PM
Has been announced.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2002/01/10/selig_conyers_ap/

Think he's smart enough to take it?

OfficerKarkovice
01-10-2002, 07:23 PM
A. I wouldn't put anything past that scum bag and...

B. I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather have contraction take place and Selig's ass kicked the hell out than have this whole thing just drag on another year.

Daver
01-10-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

B. I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather have contraction take place and Selig's ass kicked the hell out than have this whole thing just drag on another year. [/B]

He may get the boot without contraction happening,and soon.

Paulwny
01-10-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by daver
Has been announced.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2002/01/10/selig_conyers_ap/

Think he's smart enough to take it?

His ambulance chasers and spin doctors are preparing an answer.
This may get very interesting.

cheeses_h_rice
01-10-2002, 07:33 PM
Heh, I thought this threat was gonna be about :moron and his Bears prediction.

Daver
01-10-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

I pay little attention to Fluffy lately,there are bigger fish to fry.

Fox 2 6 21
01-11-2002, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by daver

He may get the boot without contraction happening,and soon.

One can only hope.... :angry: .....why can't they all just ditch their spiked butt-plugs and go to a game that doesn't concern their teams? That way MAYBE they'll remember what it is to be a fan and get a glimpse of how baseball USED to be.....hell, the only way there would've been contraction before is if a team went bust...they sould just quit adding new teams and let it go back to where it was...IMO... :angry: :angry: GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

- Foxo :angry:

I grew up, playing ball before I was two, so, maybe it's just me, but this s*** ain't BASEBALL....it's an over grown game of Monopoly.....What the hell happened???

czalgosz
01-11-2002, 10:09 AM
Actually, before 1900, contraction happened quite a bit, and mostly because the teams weren't competing. Back in the days before the reserve clause, baseball had more problems with disparity (both economic and on the playing field) than they do today. The early National Association tried to put on a salary cap; when they did that, all the good players jumped ship and went to one of the rival leagues. The 1880s and 1890s were pretty chaotic times; the National Association, the American Association, the Federal League, and the Players' League came and went during that period.

The last time contraction happened was after the 1899 season, when the National League cut their Cleveland, Washington, Louisville, and Baltimore franchises. Of course, the fledgling American League picked up three of those four cities as charter members for the 1900 season, and Louisville was a pretty dumb place to have a Major League team.

The main reason that pre-1900 leagues had so much trouble staying afloat is that they were in direct competition with each other for players and fans. They tried to both boost player salaries and cut consumer costs; it's a recipe for disaster economically.

The current situation does call for some kind of attention. I don't know if contraction is the answer, but it is a fact that cities like Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Montreal, and St. Petersburgh can't support baseball the way that they're playing it in New York and Boston. You're seeing about a half-dozen franchises out there being run basically as a favor to the other members of their league, just to fill out the schedule. They run things as cheaply as possible and wait for revenue-sharing to cover their costs.

So, I do agree with the owners that something needs to be done. I just think that something should be done for the good of baseball as a whole, not for the good of the owners.

Paulwny
01-11-2002, 11:16 AM
The anti-trust exemption given baseball has stopped teams from moving or contracting since the majority of owners must give their approval.
If baseball loses this exemption any owner could be the next Al Davis and move to "greener pastures" whenever he wanted.

KC, Pit, Min, and Mont. had supported teams in the past when they were competative. If a team is competative it will draw. When a team becomes a test lab for players who leave the team when they become FA's fans lose interest. Attendance is not the issue, it's market size.

Small market vs. big market does in some ways mean population but to mlb it's tv/cable saturation. Herein lies the problem, the cable revenue received by teams with small cable saturation (KC, Pit, Min) cannot and never will come close to the revenue gained by big market teams (NY,LA, Atl). When the yanks RADIO revenue exceeds the tv revenue of Pit, KC and Mont. how will these teams ever financially compete.

Fox 2 6 21
01-12-2002, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I do agree with the owners that something needs to be done. I just think that something should be done for the good of baseball as a whole, not for the good of the owners.

Same.... :gulp:

And ty for clearing up something for me.... :gulp:

- Fox...:gulp:

rmusacch
01-13-2002, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

What was his Bears prediction? If it was bad, he was in the majority. I can honestly say that I did not expect anywhere near what the Bears did this year.

RichH55
01-14-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

You're seeing about a half-dozen franchises out there being run basically as a favor to the other members of their league, just to fill out the schedule. They run things as cheaply as possible and wait for revenue-sharing to cover their costs.

Wow...almost verbatim from Rany on the Royals...I thought it was damn clever when he wrote it....he get any royalities from this particular post:)