PDA

View Full Version : 2006 WBC Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

HotelWhiteSox
02-27-2006, 01:37 AM
Okay, I see it as an excuse to make money, find many aspects as embarrasing, and would wish that none of our pitchers participate, but I'm still going to watch. I am mainly interested in looking at some of the Japanese talent, there's always news of players who get out of their contracts or want to test themselves in MLB. It kicks off Thursday night as Korea takes on Chinese Taipei, with the Japan segment starting while the other brackets play exhibition games against MLB ST and split squad rosters.

Rosters, schedules, all that is at http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/

I have a bit of a side question. Do players get any extra compensation for participating? I know MLB loves to play the "national pride" angle but yeah...
Also, I've observed that while many American players are dropping out and seeing this for what it is, many of the international countries and players are taking this seriously and really see it as their new Olympics. I know we have members all over, just wondering, the response and interest of the people in the different countries participating?

patbooyah
02-27-2006, 01:39 AM
i'm excited to watch real baseball again, and i also have tickets to the championship. i figure it will be like a baby all star game.

UofCSoxFan
02-27-2006, 01:53 AM
I think the idea is great...if they could ever actually get this to even half of what the world cup is (where it is assumed the top players play) it would be unbelieveable....that being said I don't think it will ever get there.

Still, baseball is baseball.

There probably is a tv schedule online somewhere, but does anyone know off hand if any of the Japanese bracket games will be televised?

HotelWhiteSox
02-27-2006, 02:30 AM
Interesting article with Contreras, he says he is cheering from Cuba, and sounds like deep down he wants to play with them. Also kind of shows how other countries are taking this seriously, with him saying this is the best competition Cuba has ever faced

http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060224&content_id=1321376&vkey=wbc_news&fext=.jsp&sid=wbc

"If they see me and talk to me, they will be punished," he continued. "Imagine if I could play with the Cuban team? They don't let me. The government is mad at me and I don't want to be political. I play and they put me together with Fidel as a supporter of the government. I'm Cuban and I love my country and the people, but I can't play with them because of politics."

He'd fit in well at WSI :cool:

HotelWhiteSox
02-27-2006, 02:32 AM
There probably is a tv schedule online somewhere, but does anyone know off hand if any of the Japanese bracket games will be televised?

Some are http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/schedule/index.jsp?mc=television&sid=wbc Looks like they split the games with ESPN2 and ESPNDeportes, with them switching off on live and tape delayed games

Rooney4Prez56
02-27-2006, 12:18 PM
I don't like the WBC. It's a waste of time and it puts MLB players at risk of injury. Besides, the whole "which country should I play for" decision is inane and time-consuming. Just ditch the whole idea and get ready for Opening Day.

skottyj242
02-27-2006, 01:01 PM
I really like the idea of the WBC especially now because baseball in no longer part of the Olympics but the execution of it just seems pretty horrible to me.

oeo
02-27-2006, 10:45 PM
I don't like the WBC. It's a waste of time and it puts MLB players at risk of injury. Besides, the whole "which country should I play for" decision is inane and time-consuming. Just ditch the whole idea and get ready for Opening Day.
But it means a lot to the other countries. Like Ozzie said, we may not care much about it because we see baseball every year, but the people in Venezuela (and DR, PR, etc.) are crazy about it and want to win the thing.

It also gives baseball world-wide recognition, it will be good for baseball in the end. I'm actually pretty excited about it.

CLR01
02-27-2006, 11:09 PM
IMO the WBC trophy looks better than the WS trophy.:?:

areilly
02-28-2006, 11:44 AM
I think it's a great idea despite some of the affiliations being extremely lame (Piazza, I'm looking at you) and the poor timing.

However, the different format of competition, the national teams, the unbelievable amount of talent being fielded at any one time...awesome.

Imagine you're Buck Martinez: Clemens pitching the second time through the middle of a Dominican Republic lineup that reads Soriano-Tejada-Pujols-Ortiz-Guerrero? Looks tough, better start warming up Lidge and Street. On second thought, make if Shields and Wagner.

Sick. Absolutely sick.

I understand how some owners and GM's stand to get screwed over by this. But as a spectacle of pure baseball talent I think this might be the greatest thing in the history of the game since the color barrier was broken. I always thought it was cool how basketball and soccer had their own international tournaments, and I hope this works out the way Selig envisions.

Personally I'd vote for a Champions League-type arrangement if it got to a point where MLB wouldn't be such a lopsided victor every time out, but that's another story...and as a side note, my money's on Venezuela.

ondafarm
02-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Personally I'd vote for a Champions League-type arrangement if it got to a point where MLB wouldn't be such a lopsided victor every time out, but that's another story...and as a side note, my money's on Venezuela.

First, there's no way you could do a champions league tourney because the Caribbean World Series just ended and the southern hemisphere teams are just finishing their seasons now. Do you give a huge advantage to teams wrapping up now by playing in March or do you give a huge advantage to northern hemisphere teams by playing in October?

I'll take your action. I still go with the USA.

Railsplitter
02-28-2006, 12:15 PM
The WBC does not expose players to injury any more than Spring training does. Players have been hurt in Spring Training (Think Robin Ventura)

There are ways ball players can be injured in the off season.(Monty Stratton's hunting accident and Roy Campinella's car wreck are two extreme examples of this.)

In other words, fear of injury is way overblown.

SOXintheBURGH
02-28-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm excited about it. I'm not going to buy any gear, but I'm going to watch every game I possibly can just for the talent level. I may not watch Canada vs. Italy but I will most certainly watch DR vs. PR or DR vs. USA. Remember, no one is forcing any of these players to compete in the WBC, some organizations are forcing players NOT to compete.

areilly
02-28-2006, 02:54 PM
First, there's no way you could do a champions league tourney because the Caribbean World Series just ended and the southern hemisphere teams are just finishing their seasons now. Do you give a huge advantage to teams wrapping up now by playing in March or do you give a huge advantage to northern hemisphere teams by playing in October

Good point. Not that I could ever see MLB suspending the season for a few weeks in July, but I guess you'd have to aim for some time in the middle of the year. Or cut the season in half and turn every American ballpark into a dome.

At any rate, it would lend a little more credence to the idea of there being a "world champion" of baseball (yes, I know, MLB has the best players, managers, etc.). So it'd no longer be enough to just embarass a team from Boston...we're talking global domination here! :cool:

areilly
03-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Alright, this thing kicks off TOMORROW and the more I think about it, the more psyched I'm getting.

I saw today that Wagner and CC changed their minds. Too bad, as this probably weakens US pitching enough that their replacements (Al Leiter? Ugh!) are going to cost them. And I wonder how long 'til this shirt (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2215855&cp=2164444.2167085&page=2&doVSearch=no&pageBucket=0&parentPage=family) appears on eBay...

You know what's even worse? The USA jerseys actually look kind of cool...too bad the only ones you can buy say JETER or DAMON or LEE on the back. :angry:

soxfan26
03-01-2006, 10:39 PM
I saw today that Wagner and CC changed their minds.

Add Pedro & Vlad to the list.

Professor
03-02-2006, 07:54 AM
One thing I am worried about is due to the mass exodus from the WBC this year (they have to be sore about how many of the elite players have withdrawn), Bud will try to bring this up during the upcoming contract negotiations. Perhaps he will go so far as to require players to participate in the event. I hope it doesn't prove to be an unnecessary hurdle during contract talks.

soxwon
03-02-2006, 08:40 AM
besides me who is going to any of the wbc games?

HotelWhiteSox
03-02-2006, 09:22 PM
First game is tonight. Ok, does anyone actually get ESPN Deportes? I know it's probably part of a Spanish package, but I don't think my Comcast area even offers it. It kind of blows since I'm quickly glancing at the schedule, and the other option is ESPN2 where it is usually delayed to like 2 am

Kogs35
03-02-2006, 10:46 PM
i was watching some of the first game on mlb.tv . doesnt look like it has alot of people there.

patbooyah
03-02-2006, 11:03 PM
besides me who is going to any of the wbc games?

me

HotelWhiteSox
03-03-2006, 01:55 AM
i was watching some of the first game on mlb.tv . doesnt look like it has alot of people there.

Yikes, just saw highlights, understatement!

dcb56
03-03-2006, 02:54 AM
Yikes, just saw highlights, understatement!

Attendance was 5,193. :o:

thewalkoffshot
03-03-2006, 03:37 AM
Attendance was 5,193. :o:
They knew Jeff Brantley was there and wanted to enjoy his insight on their television sets.

These guys slide into first headfirst way too much. A Korean player just got hurt, not only did he slide headfirst, but his slide also looked horrible.

Looks like he is leaving the game after jamming his shoulder.

itsnotrequired
03-03-2006, 09:33 AM
I noticed that there wasn't a 9th inning in the Japan-China game. Is there some type of slaughter rule in effect for the WBC?

illini81887
03-03-2006, 09:38 AM
I noticed that there wasn't a 9th inning in the Japan-China game. Is there some type of slaughter rule in effect for the WBC?
yea 10runs

itsnotrequired
03-03-2006, 09:40 AM
yea 10runs

Thanks. I didn't know such a rule existed.

Madvora
03-03-2006, 10:06 AM
The WBC does not expose players to injury any more than Spring training does. Players have been hurt in Spring Training (Think Robin Ventura)

There are ways ball players can be injured in the off season.(Monty Stratton's hunting accident and Roy Campinella's car wreck are two extreme examples of this.)

In other words, fear of injury is way overblown.
Words of wisdom!
This isn't like the NFL people. They're just playing baseball, just like they would be doing in spring training at this time anyway.
I love the idea and sure there are a few uncertain things because this is the first year, but maybe they can work on strict rules for which team you are eligible to play for and stick to that. Otherwise, it's great.

schmitty9800
03-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Attendance was 5,193. :o:That's really not suprising, though. The Japanese are very patriotic and don't care at all about a game between Korea and Taipei. Saduharu Oh, the Japanese home run king, isn't known as "Mr. Giant" because of resentment because he's half Chinese. Also the game started at 11:30AM on a weekday...what kind of attendance would that game get in America?

Although the Japan/China game only got 15,000.

areilly
03-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Let me go on record as saying I'm furious that the Korea/Taipei game was pre-empted in Chicago on ESPN2 by DePaul women's basketball. No offense to the girls, they're great, but it sucked all the same.

And 18-2? Seriously? Is China that bad, or could Japan be the sleeper here?

ChiSoxRowand
03-03-2006, 01:16 PM
And 18-2? Seriously? Is China that bad, or could Japan be the sleeper here?

I'd say both. Japan and Cuba are kind of the mystery teams.

HotelWhiteSox
03-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Damn, China had just tied it a 2 with a HR when I finally went to sleep, and I wake up and it ends 18-2.

That guy who pitched the 9th for Chinese Tapei was impressive

HotelWhiteSox
03-04-2006, 06:11 AM
Looks like the prospect of the mercy rule implemented again

Tad's replacement, not too shabby!

Edit: Interesting to watch the differences. E.g. A Japanese player just stold 2nd base with a 12-1 lead

Beautox
03-04-2006, 09:26 AM
yeah Tsuyoshi Nishioka was tearing it up, needless to say i was impressed.

flo-B-flo
03-04-2006, 10:41 AM
This is a great idea and great for baseball. I always wondered why this wasn't done earlier. Lots of folks here are fed up with international play but, baseball in South America is in a frenzy about the WBC. Stayed up real late and caught some of the Japanese team dealing out a spanking. They're gonna be tough to beat.

VenturaSoxFan23
03-04-2006, 11:22 AM
The "mercy"/slaughter rule is 15. Dunno why.

Also, if anybody has Wide Open West, we get ESPNDeportes on Channel 15 in NW IN. They play Sunday Night Baseball as well.

ondafarm
03-04-2006, 11:50 AM
That's really not suprising, though. The Japanese are very patriotic and don't care at all about a game between Korea and Taipei. Saduharu Oh, the Japanese home run king, isn't known as "Mr. Giant" because of resentment because he's half Chinese. Also the game started at 11:30AM on a weekday...what kind of attendance would that game get in America?

Although the Japan/China game only got 15,000.

Sadaharu Oh is 100% Korean but he was born and grew up in Japan. His granparents were forced labor imported during the Japanese occupation of Korea.

soxwon
03-04-2006, 06:16 PM
me

what games are you going to and where?

areilly
03-05-2006, 05:34 PM
I don't know if anyone else here saw that Japan-Korea game last night (areilly was up waaaay past his bedtime) but that was unbelievable! I don't think anyone was predicting Korea to take Pool A, but the final is in. Awesome stuff! I don't know what any of the chants in Japanese or Korean meant but I imagine they weren't very nice. A rematch could be interesting...

And I like this bit:

"In the days running up to their WBC openers, marquee Japan star Ichiro Suzuki had urged his teammates to hammer their opponents "in such a fashion that they won't think they can beat Japan for 30 years.""

Sorry it didn't work out for you!

The Tokyo Dome looked pretty full too. Not sure if it was sold out entirely but I'm glad to see people are actually going to these games. Kind of makes me think about looking for cheap flight to Arizona next week..

HotelWhiteSox
03-05-2006, 05:51 PM
I don't know if anyone else here saw that Japan-Korea game last night (areilly was up waaaay past his bedtime) but that was unbelievable! I don't think anyone was predicting Korea to take Pool A, but the final is in. Awesome stuff! I don't know what any of the chants in Japanese or Korean meant but I imagine they weren't very nice. A rematch could be interesting...

And I like this bit:

Sorry it didn't work out for you!

The Tokyo Dome looked pretty full too. Not sure if it was sold out entirely but I'm glad to see people are actually going to these games. Kind of makes me think about looking for cheap flight to Arizona next week..

Yeah, I was up too. It was cool to see both teams taking it so seriously, even though they were both in. I loved that great diving catch in RF, and then that Korean player stuns em all with the HR.

Railsplitter
03-06-2006, 10:53 AM
The "mercy"/slaughter rule is 15. Dunno why.

15 runs after the 5th inning, 10 runs after the 7th.

Railsplitter
03-06-2006, 12:15 PM
I remeber after the first interleague games in 1997, somebody appearing of "Baseball Tonight" and saying something to the effect of "Interleague is here and the world hasnt ended" in a rather snide tone. It would be ironic if he's part of the anti WBC crowd.

As for me, I think the WBC is overdue, but as a traditonalist, I'd want to see pitchers hitting and all games played outdoors on grass.

areilly
03-06-2006, 02:27 PM
SI.com has an interesting interview (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/john_donovan/03/03/martinez/index.html) with Buck Martinez today.

SI.com: Any worries about dealing with egos?
BM: That's always a concern when you have a group like this. But [coaches] Davey Johnson and Reggie Smith told me that when they step into that clubhouse, something changes, because it's Team USA. And I'm only with them for three weeks. [Laughs.] I don't have to listen to them for six months.

HotelWhiteSox
03-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Nice way to kick off the week, Venezuela vs Dominican Republic (Johan Santana vs Bartolo Colon). This crowd is pretty pumped, sounds like a great atmoshpere. First 3 DR hitters were Soriano, Tejada, and Pujols, yikes.

It would be wise for Venezuela to use Johan Santana for every inning of this tournament

dcb56
03-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Yeah, I was up too. It was cool to see both teams taking it so seriously, even though they were both in. I loved that great diving catch in RF, and then that Korean player stuns em all with the HR.

Apparently the Korean player that hit that home run, Seung Yeop Lee, is one of the best power hitters in the Far East as he holds the Asian single season home run record at 56. I read he just signed with the Yomiuri Giants this past offseason after spending the past couple seasons playing in Japan's Pacific League. He hit a couple monster home runs in Korea's win over China as well.

I stayed up and watched four of the Pool A games, and am now a Korea fan. Gotta love the sky blue hats with the big white K on the front! I know they probably don't have the horses to compete with teams like the US or DR, but they do have outstanding pitching (they only gave up 3 runs in their three Pool A games), and they did beat Japan, so if the Japanese get mentioned as a sleeper pick to win it all then I think Korea at leasts deserves mention as a possible darkhorse.

All of the games I watched, even the blowouts, were exciting and the level of play was serious. Now that the games have moved over here to the USA I think this whole event is going to take of like gangbusters with baseball fans, maybe even with those who have constantly bashed the whole idea from the start, as any competitive baseball is better than the snoozer known as Spring Training.

Right now Venezuela is playing the Dominican Republic in the top of the 2nd, Bartolo Colon vs. Johan Santana. I'm glad MLB has it on Gameday so I can follow it here at work!

Jjav829
03-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Big Papi jacks one to dead center. 1-0 DR.

HotelWhiteSox
03-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Wow, this umpire behind the plate blows. Both pitchers hitting the outside corner beautifully and not getting a call. Colon had a decent inside pitch that also got no call, so a very tight strike zone. The players have looked pretty mad, Santana was screaming at him, shows how serious this is for them.

2-0 Dominican Republic, middle of the 3rd. Santana probably out (a little over 50 pitches?) with Zambrano warming up

elrod
03-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Ha Ha. Carlos Zambrano gets shelled for four runs, including a three-run bomb from Beltre.

I have to say that this game is a blast to watch. It's March, for crying out loud, and the crowd of 10,000 is louder than a World Series game. It's certainly louder than it was in Houston for Games Three and Four anyway.:D:No seriously, this game is great. I hope Freddy Garcia shuts down the DR and the Venezuelans come back and give him the W.

Flight #24
03-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Ha Ha. Carlos Zambrano gets shelled for four runs, including a three-run bomb from Beltre.

I have to say that this game is a blast to watch. It's March, for crying out loud, and the crowd of 10,000 is louder than a World Series game. It's certainly louder than it was in Houston for Games Three and Four anyway.:D:No seriously, this game is great. I hope Freddy Garcia shuts down the DR and the Venezuelans come back and give him the W.

My ideal scenario: Freddy shuts 'em down & Venezuela loses. Repeat for all games Freddy pitches in, the idea being that they get knocked out in rd 1 and Freddy returns to ST.

Puerto Rico - ditto.

Gavin
03-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Marte is in!

Yeah I don't know why [the Chicago White Sox] soured on him

Oh Harold.

Iwritecode
03-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Marte is in!

and promptly gives up a lead-off double...

cburns
03-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Marte is in!

Harold Reynolds says he doesn't know why the Sox gave up on him...then he gives up a leadoff double to Vizquel..lol

Taliesinrk
03-07-2006, 03:56 PM
I've been a fan of the WBC from day 1. I know many here... and many that i've heard from period, aren't fans. But I don't care how you stand on the issue; who you're rooting for; or where you come from.. turn it on the game right now. This game is truly a joy to watch. The players are into it, the crowd is into it, and honestly, I think it'd be nice if some/ almost all of our fans were this into the Sox games. I am about to change it over to the USA game, and I can only hope the fans there will be as passionate about our team as the DR and Ven fans are about theirs.... If this tournament can have this type of support world-wide, it could truly have one hell of a future.

Iwritecode
03-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Ortiz and Beltre both go deep (again) and the DR is stomping Venezuela 10 - 5 in the 9th.

SoLongFrank
03-07-2006, 04:14 PM
I was just down there for the Daytona 500. Had I been aware that the WBC would be starting in Orlando, FL this week I would have stayed a few more weeks!

I blame MLB. Instead of getting the word out where the games would be played they focused the press on who would be playing.

The Dominican's are stacked! Lawn tickets are just $14! Bleacher tix $19, & Lower Deck $25. Best bargain in MLB!

Jjav829
03-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Peavy gets 3 outs for the US. US coming to bat now.

Jjav829
03-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Does anyone know why the hell Buck decided to bat Chase Utley 9th? He has Brian Schneider and Randy Winn batting 7th and 8th, but Utley 9th. Maybe he wants to turn over the lineup a little better because otherwise it really makes no sense.

Taliesinrk
03-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Does anyone know why the hell Buck decided to bat Chase Utley 9th? He has Brian Schneider and Randy Winn batting 7th and 8th, but Utley 9th. Maybe he wants to turn over the lineup a little better because otherwise it really makes no sense.

sounds about right...

SoLongFrank
03-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Castilla made a nice play on A Rod's chopper to end the inning. 0-0.

Now that I know better I'm going to make it a part of my vacation plans. I'll give up Speedweek, check-in the day of the Hershey's Kisses 300 & then hang around for the opening of the WBC. That's about 3 wks.

I'd like to take March off some year as well. Spending ST with the White Sox & taking in the WBC. That's a dream I want to make happen.

I'm really surprised. I thought the whole point to the WBC was increasing the exposure of MLB in other baseball circles. So I was under the impression that Mexico City, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, the DR would be hosting the games. It doesn't make much sense to say "Hello World, look at me!" from your own backyard.

Italy is the lone European entrant. I think MLB would like to see an 8 team European qualification tourney for that lone spot in the future.

Etownsox13
03-07-2006, 05:06 PM
hmm guess who hits the first HR for the U.S.

:(:

cleanwsox
03-07-2006, 05:17 PM
hmm guess who hits the first HR for the U.S.

:(:

No frowning, go D Lee. I mean he might as well waste all his HR's now.

:bandance:

Over By There
03-07-2006, 05:39 PM
I got to watch about an inning of the US/Mexico game a little while ago, and I have to say I'm warming to the idea of the WBC. Despite all the news of big-name players flip-flopping on participation, there are a lot of good players in this thing. Also, it was hard to tell how big the crowd was, but they were definitely buzzing. Sounds like a lot of support for Mexico. I think this will be fun to watch.

Jjav829
03-07-2006, 05:48 PM
No frowning, go D Lee. I mean he might as well waste all his HR's now.

Lee really has become quite a good hitter.

Chipper goes deep. 2-0 USA.

Deebs14
03-07-2006, 05:54 PM
I got to watch about an inning of the US/Mexico game a little while ago, and I have to say I'm warming to the idea of the WBC. Despite all the news of big-name players flip-flopping on participation, there are a lot of good players in this thing. Also, it was hard to tell how big the crowd was, but they were definitely buzzing. Sounds like a lot of support for Mexico. I think this will be fun to watch.

I agree. Plus I'm just a huge baseball fan in general, so I'll pretty much watch anything baseball related.

TomBradley72
03-07-2006, 06:49 PM
I'm digging the WBC. The Venezuala/DR game today was great baseball. The unique way each country's fans are into the game adds a great dimension that is different than MLB. I'd take this afternoon's game ahead of at least 50% of MLB's regular season match ups.

HotelWhiteSox
03-07-2006, 06:51 PM
32,727 for USA/Mexico (MLB Stadium)

10,645 for DR/Venezuela, which looked like a ST facility, so I'm guessing it was around full capacity. It sure as hell looked/sounded like a great atmosphere to be in.

HotelWhiteSox
03-07-2006, 06:59 PM
About to get underway at 6 is Puerto Rico with our Javy Vazquez starting against Panama , but it's not on American TV until 2 am on ESPN. I'm going to follow on Gamecast, and I think I'll make a thread in the Clubhouse where we can have updates on both Freddy and Vazquez if no one wants it spoiled here

HotelWhiteSox
03-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Italy beating up on Australia 10-0. Granted it is Australia, but still, I kind of had Italy as my mini sleeper (to advance a round) since I want to follow them because of my background, but they got put in a tough group. Now if thye can only beat Venezuela...

Jason Grilli helped combine in a 1 hitter, didn't he used to be one of our 5th starters?

Jjav829
03-08-2006, 12:54 AM
In a riveting game that I am sure kept Baby Fisk glued to a TV all night long, South Africa put up a strong fight against Canada but ultimately lost 11-8. How the hell they managed to score 8 runs, I don't know. Canada actually trailed by a run going into the 9th but put up 4 runs to pull out the win.

elrod
03-08-2006, 01:15 AM
I'm still shocked over South Africa. The Canadian team was pretty decent.

chisoxfanatic
03-08-2006, 10:45 AM
I guess it's time for the USA to up their record to 2-0 with a win over Canada this afternoon! I predict at least a 5-2 victory for the Americans.

The game can be seen on ESPN2 at 3 pm.

AZChiSoxFan
03-08-2006, 02:36 PM

I agree. I was pretty down on the WBC, but watching the game yesterday really got me into it. So much so that I'm even planning on going to the Canada-Mexico game tomorrow evening. I think the attendance (will I get banned for bringing this up??) was about 33K.

Right now on XM radio, Wimpy is doing the color for the Cuba-Panama game.

UofCSoxFan
03-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Anyone else somewhat suprised to see Bruce Chen playing for Panama? I had no idea he was born in Panama City as I always assumed him to be Chineese American or born in China or Hong Kong.

After doing some research online, I guess there is a small but significant ethnic Chinese population in Panama. Who would have thought?

I learned something new today.

Taliesinrk
03-08-2006, 03:53 PM
The announcers on ESPN keep saying that if you win 2 games, you get into round 2. But I don't think that this scenario necessarily works. In pool C or D (the one w/ cuba, panama, PR, and the netherlands), it could play out like this (more likely if Panama beats Cuba today):

PR - 2-1
Cuba - 2-1
panama - 2-1
Netherlands - 0-3

In this case, one of the 2-1 teams will be going home as only 2 of the 4 go to round 2.

Furthermore, the reverse could also work, which would go against them saying today: "Panama is trying to pull the upset against Cuba to keep their hopes alive". If Cuba beats Panama today, I don't think Panama is necessarily eliminated. The following scenario could still play out:

PR - 3-0
Cuba - 1-2
Panama - 1-2
Netherlands - 1-2

Although unlikely for the Netherlands, they could get one win vs. cuba and this scenario could very easily happen. I just think ESPN is wrong, but maybe I'm showing my ignorance here....

Furthermore, how is there a guy on Cuba's team named Leslie Alexander/Anderson? I (like Bruce Chen = Panama --> go figure) thought that was a pretty english name.. if that makes sense. It just doesn't seem like the name of a person from a Spanish-speaking nation.

ilsox7
03-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Anyone else somewhat suprised to see Bruce Chen playing for Panama? I had no idea he was born in Panama City as I always assumed him to be Chineese American or born in China or Hong Kong.

After doing some research online, I guess there is a small but significant ethnic Chinese population in Panama. Who would have thought?

I learned something new today.
And thanks to the wonderful rules of the WBC, b/c of its timing, he had to be pulled after 5 innings. And 5 innings is actually a long time on the pitch counts they are on.

The idea of the WBC is fantastic. But how it is currently organized and scheduled is simply awful. Then again, I'd expect nothing less from Unclue Bud.

Taliesinrk
03-08-2006, 04:03 PM
And thanks to the wonderful rules of the WBC, b/c of its timing, he had to be pulled after 5 innings. And 5 innings is actually a long time on the pitch counts they are on.

The idea of the WBC is fantastic. But how it is currently organized and scheduled is simply awful. Then again, I'd expect nothing less from Unclue Bud.

When else would you schedule it???

ilsox7
03-08-2006, 04:10 PM
When else would you schedule it???
I would hold the tournament once every 4 years in November. This gives MLB players 1 month off (except players in the playoffs). They take the month off, then spend a couple of weeks training, then play at full strength. Either that or you shut down the season for the week or so needed to play this thing in the summer. There really is no good time to play the event, but there are certainly times better than others. Having it when players are not in top condition is the absolute worst time imaginable. As we all know, starting pitching dictates the strength of a team. And those strengths are limited b/c pitchers have pitch counts. I'm sure you'll see a ton of games where a team gets shut down for 3-4 innings by one of the top 3 pitchers, but then comes back to win when they have to go 7 deep into their staff.

It's not baseball. Until it is, it doesn't really matter.

cleanwsox
03-08-2006, 04:21 PM
1-0 Canada. Stubby Clapp (what a great name) triples and Morneau scores him with a groundout.

Taliesinrk
03-08-2006, 04:22 PM
I would hold the tournament once every 4 years in November. This gives MLB players 1 month off (except players in the playoffs). They take the month off, then spend a couple of weeks training, then play at full strength. Either that or you shut down the season for the week or so needed to play this thing in the summer. There really is no good time to play the event, but there are certainly times better than others. Having it when players are not in top condition is the absolute worst time imaginable. As we all know, starting pitching dictates the strength of a team. And those strengths are limited b/c pitchers have pitch counts. I'm sure you'll see a ton of games where a team gets shut down for 3-4 innings by one of the top 3 pitchers, but then comes back to win when they have to go 7 deep into their staff.

It's not baseball. Until it is, it doesn't really matter.

No way.. I'm sure the pitching would be "full strength" in November, that's a joke. Furthermore, you wouldn't shut the season down for a week, it would be shut down for almost 3 weeks!!! not very practical during a 162 game season. I understand the timing of this sucks, but there is no better time in the season, the way I see it. While they may not be in October form, guys would be playing right now anyway...
While I or anyone else may not like Bud Selig, he is getting wayyyy too much grief for this. I think it's a hell of an idea, and will only get better as time goes on. I wish the people in the U.S. would get more into it, ala the DR and Venezuelan fans.

But seriously.. can someone answer my ESPN question??

chisoxfanatic
03-08-2006, 04:33 PM
THIS IS B.S.!!! This is the United States of America, and ESPN2 is waiting for this Panama/Cuba game to be done before showing us OUR game? That's just IDIOTIC!!!

Iwritecode
03-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Bases loaded, bottom of the ninth, his team down by a run...

and Carlos Lee strikes out. :(:

Then the next guy gets hit by a pitch to force in a run. :o:

HotelWhiteSox
03-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Pssh, I want to see the US game too, but are you watching this? This Cuba/Panama game is awesome

SoxFanPrope
03-08-2006, 04:37 PM
The Panama-Cuba game is becoming a very exciting game why wouldn't they show the end of it??

Oh yeah, nice job in the clutch Caballo! :tongue:

Iwritecode
03-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Is anyone else thinking that if El Duque was pitching for the Cuban team right now this game would be over? :cool:

Taliesinrk
03-08-2006, 04:52 PM
THIS IS B.S.!!! This is the United States of America, and ESPN2 is waiting for this Panama/Cuba game to be done before showing us OUR game? That's just IDIOTIC!!!

they're showing it on ESPN

Deebs14
03-08-2006, 04:54 PM
they're showing it on ESPN

I didn't even realize that, thanks.

gbergman
03-08-2006, 04:58 PM
uggh 3-0 Canada. Willis is off big time today, looks like its going to be a long day for the U.S.A.

gbergman
03-08-2006, 05:03 PM
5-0 turn out the lights the parties over

Jjav829
03-08-2006, 05:09 PM
The US is losing 5-0 to Canada? What the ****? :?:

If we lose this game, Baby Fisk gets banned. :tongue:

Viva Medias B's
03-08-2006, 05:11 PM

Have you ever heard of Heidi?

MUsoxfan
03-08-2006, 05:16 PM
I've given myself honorary Canadian status today due to the fact that I picked them in the pool (for pride:wink:) I have going with my friends

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee

:D:

Taliesinrk
03-08-2006, 05:17 PM
The US is losing 5-0 to Canada? What the ****? :?:

If we lose this game, Baby Fisk gets banned. :tongue:

I second this motion.. what the hell kind of baseball team plays a pick-up hockey game before the WBC?!?! everything's backwards up there.

StockdaleForVeep
03-08-2006, 05:22 PM
wow, this cuban\panama game has turned out to be a real good game, eso right now, 2 outs, carlos lee at bat as tieing run

Can we steal any of this cuban talent?

Viva Medias B's
03-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Maybe Panama should trade Caballo for Pods.

Jjav829
03-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Al Leiter sucks. Who the hell decided it was a good idea to put him on the US roster? They couldn't find a better lefty reliever?

Oh great, now Gary Majewski is going to come in and save the day. :rolleyes:

Viva Medias B's
03-08-2006, 05:27 PM
Canada by a touchdown.

Jjav829
03-08-2006, 05:30 PM
7-0 Canada. I guess it's not over yet since the Canada pitching is, well, bad. Bang up job of managing Buck. It's the 4th inning, Majewski is in now and there are only three pitchers left who didn't pitch yesterday; Street, Shields and Fuentes. Even if they all go 1 inning, two relievers who went yesterday will have to come back today. And the early termination rule is actually possible at this rate...

cleanwsox
03-08-2006, 05:32 PM
7-0 Canada. I guess it's not over yet since the Canada pitching is, well, bad. Bang up job of managing Buck. It's the 4th inning, Majewski is in now and there are only three pitchers left who didn't pitch yesterday; Street, Shields and Fuentes. Even if they all go 1 inning, two relievers who went yesterday will have to come back today. And the early termination rule is actually possible at this rate...

I was just thinkin about the mercy rule. What are the specifics on that again? LOL, I except this in hockey but mercy rule against the US in baseball??? :o:

Jjav829
03-08-2006, 05:34 PM
I was just thinkin about the mercy rule. What are the specifics on that again? LOL, I except this in hockey but mercy rule against the US in baseball??? :o:
It's something like a 10 run lead after 7 innings or a 15 run lead after 4. That might not be completely accurate, but it's close enough.

I want Mags back
03-08-2006, 05:35 PM
its 7-0 in the middle of the 4th. What the **** is going on with this team. Im embarassed to be American after watching part of this game

cleanwsox
03-08-2006, 05:41 PM
its 7-0 in the middle of the 4th. What the **** is going on with this team. Im embarassed to be American after watching part of this game

This offense looks like a White Sox team facing a pitcher for the first time. :?:

oeo
03-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Inside the park homerun...

Nice to know that at least one of these teams is playing with pride and heart. Too bad the US isn't that team.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Ouch. Inside the Park HR for Adam Stern. 8-0 Canada. I don't know what to say, I think it'd be pretty funny to see the mercy rule enforced. :D:

Viva Medias B's
03-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Ouch. Inside the Park HR for Adam Stern. 8-0 Canada. I don't know what to say, I think it'd be pretty funny to see the mercy rule enforced. :D:

This game has become "fun-bad." Not that I necessarily want Team USA to lose, but it would be poetic justice to see them have the slaughter rule used on them.

TomBradley72
03-08-2006, 05:56 PM

100% disagree....the Cuba/Panama game was a great game..no way do you cut away during the 9th/extra innings...

Jjav829
03-08-2006, 06:00 PM
U.S. coming back. 8-2 now after a Griffey double and Lee single. This isn't over yet. South Africa scored 8 runs off team Canada.

Jjav829
03-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Tek with a slam! 8-6 game now. Tek is clutch. :cool:

oeo
03-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Wow, that didn't take long...

rookie
03-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Grand slam! :) It's so nice watching baseball again.

Taliesinrk
03-08-2006, 06:14 PM
YEAH BABY!!!! THAT WAS AWESOME!!! need a few more. this game is far from over..

goon
03-08-2006, 06:16 PM
these WBC games are actually pretty entertaining, i also find myself cheering for people i wouldn't normally. chipper jones, jason varitek, sp huston street and the panama - cuba game was good too.

Jjav829
03-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Utley just missed giving the US a one run lead on a blast to center. He certainly thought he did. Gotta win it in the 9th now...

:hawk
"Mercy!"

gbergman
03-08-2006, 07:06 PM
never thought id say this but lets go francouer d. lee and a-rod

gbergman
03-08-2006, 07:09 PM
come on arod

gbergman
03-08-2006, 07:12 PM
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Jjav829
03-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Team USA loses to Canada. :o::mad:

MUsoxfan
03-08-2006, 07:17 PM
The teams in my pool are 2-0...hopefully 3-0 after tonight:D:

cleanwsox
03-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Team USA loses to Canada. :o::mad:

Unbelievable, those pitchers for Canada in the last 3 some innings were single A to triple AAA pitchers. Nonetheless, they breeze right through guys like D. Lee, Teixera, etc.

kevingrt
03-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Embarassing and funny... I don't know what else to say.

HomeFish
03-08-2006, 07:39 PM
I think its wonderful that foreign lands are getting excited about this. In the strategic long-term, the more popular baseball is worldwide, the more kids are gonna grow up playing it, and the more talent will be harvested for MLB. The game will have nowhere to go but up.

Its not that important that the WBC catches on in the USA. Baseball is already big here. Its the rest of the world we need to convert, and I think the WBC is being shown to be more credible than many of its critics think. I know that I was always a WBC apologist, but its going better than I thought it would.

elrod
03-08-2006, 07:47 PM
I was a fan of the WBC before it started and I'm a huge fan now. The Venezuela-DR game was one for the ages. And the Panama-Cuba game was a thriller to the end. Watching the guys on the Panamanian dugout steps all excited when they almost got a game-winning walk in the 9th reminded me of some of the great NCAA basketball upsets. And with the US losing to Canada, I hope it's a wake-up call to the American team. It's a great embarrassment to lose to Canada, but it's probably good for the game in the long run. I'd be thrilled if we beat Canada in ice hockey. I'm sure they're lopping it up in TO right about now.

Madvora
03-08-2006, 09:39 PM
I have a few WBC question that I'm not sure if I've ever heard mentioned before...

- What are the plans for the WBC in the future? Is this an annual thing or something every 4 years?

- What about teams that compete? With it be the same 16 teams every time? Will there be some kind of qualification?

- What about Cuba, who was going to be the 16th team before they were allowed to play? Some team must have been bumped to make room for Cuba, right?

soxfanatlanta
03-08-2006, 09:45 PM
I have a few WBC question that I'm not sure if I've ever heard mentioned before... - What are the plans for the WBC in the future? Is this an annual thing or something every 4 years? - What about teams that compete? With it be the same 16 teams every time? Will there be some kind of qualification? - What about Cuba, who was going to be the 16th team before they were allowed to play? Some team must have been bumped to make room for Cuba, right?

They are planning on having it 3 years from now, then yes, every four years after that. The 3 years is to make sure it does not overlap with the Olympics, world cup, etc. The plan was for Cuba to play all along, I'm not too sure what they would have done if they could not compete; there was some talk of scrapping the whole thing.

As for the participants, well that kinda depends on whether countries have the personnel to field a team. The intention is to increase popularity, so other nations can play, but I do not know of specific plans.

flo-B-flo
03-08-2006, 09:45 PM
I was a fan of the WBC before it started and I'm a huge fan now. The Venezuela-DR game was one for the ages. And the Panama-Cuba game was a thriller to the end. Watching the guys on the Panamanian dugout steps all excited when they almost got a game-winning walk in the 9th reminded me of some of the great NCAA basketball upsets. And with the US losing to Canada, I hope it's a wake-up call to the American team. It's a great embarrassment to lose to Canada, but it's probably good for the game in the long run. I'd be thrilled if we beat Canada in ice hockey. I'm sure they're lopping it up in TO right about now. Man I was gonna write some gushing, WBC is great thing but, you took care of it fine. Well done.

HotelWhiteSox
03-08-2006, 09:47 PM
I have a few WBC question that I'm not sure if I've ever heard mentioned before...

- What are the plans for the WBC in the future? Is this an annual thing or something every 4 years?

- What about teams that compete? With it be the same 16 teams every time? Will there be some kind of qualification?

- What about Cuba, who was going to be the 16th team before they were allowed to play? Some team must have been bumped to make room for Cuba, right?

- It's going to be every 4 years, but according to the telecast last night, they are going to start that policy in 2009 to keep it from coinciding with the Winter Olympics and World Cup.

- Not sure, but I'm hoping/guessing they would expand and I wouldn't think that any of the current teams would drop out.

- IIRC Cuba was originally scheduled as one of the 16 teams, then the US said they wouldn't allow it or whatever, but the WBC didn't substitute them and then the US or whoever said it was okay.

Madvora
03-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the responses.
By the way, did anyone notice that some of the teams are playing MLB teams in exhibition games? That's kind of cool. I really wish the Sox were playing somebody. That would be great to watch.
http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/schedule/index.jsp?mc=exhibition&sid=wbc

StockdaleForVeep
03-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Unbelievable, those pitchers for Canada in the last 3 some innings were single A to triple AAA pitchers. Nonetheless, they breeze right through guys like D. Lee, Teixera, etc.

Jenks was a AA player before comin to the sox

elrod
03-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Freddy Garcia was absolutely dominant today against Italy. 3 1/3 IP 1H 1BB 7K 0R. The "Italy" lineup included Piazza, Delucci, Menechino, Catalanotto and some other people I've never heard of. They destroyed Australia 10-0 the other night so they can definitely hit. Carlos Silva followed up Freddy and shut down the Italians just the same: 3 2/3, 1H, 1BB, 3K, 0R. Imagine if Luis Sojo threw Freddy or Silva in the game against DR instead of Carlos Zambrano or that loser Carlos Hernandez.

soxwon
03-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Ill be at fridays Dominican republic-australia game
right behind home plate
7 rows
i paid $61 for 2 tickets on ebay.

gbergman
03-09-2006, 12:12 AM
whats crappy about the wbc we beat mexico but if mexico wins 1-0 2-1 or 2-0 even if we win mexico gets to go on with canada.edit: just read if mexico scores 3 runs or more we are in

HotelWhiteSox
03-09-2006, 12:30 AM
According to the WBC site:

In both rounds, ties shall be broken in the following order of priority:

The winner of head-to-head games between the tied teams;
The team allowing the fewest runs per nine innings (RA/9) in head-to-head games between the tied teams;
The team allowing the fewest earned runs per nine innings (ERA) in head-to-head games between the tied teams;
The team with the highest highest batting average (AVG) in head-to-head games between the tied teams;
Drawing of lots, conducted by WBCI.So the US are fine if they win, since because of #1, they already beat Mexico.

If the US loses, Mexico must lose and must allow more runs per 9 innings (right now the US has allowed 4 while Mexico has allowed 2.25).

You never know, but I don't see the US losing to South Africa, so I don't think what Mexico does will matter?

EDIT: Now that I think, it would be a 3 way 2-1 record tie, so it might go to runs allowed for all 3? Canada has allowed 7 per 9 innings.

gbergman
03-09-2006, 02:24 AM
basically
US to advance 1 of these three must happen
1. US Wins mexico loses
2. US wins mexico scores 3 runs or more
3. US loses mexico loses, mexico must give up 3 more runs then us does.
exm. US 2 SA 3 Can 7 Mex 6

ilsox7
03-09-2006, 02:29 AM
No way.. I'm sure the pitching would be "full strength" in November, that's a joke. Furthermore, you wouldn't shut the season down for a week, it would be shut down for almost 3 weeks!!! not very practical during a 162 game season. I understand the timing of this sucks, but there is no better time in the season, the way I see it. While they may not be in October form, guys would be playing right now anyway...
While I or anyone else may not like Bud Selig, he is getting wayyyy too much grief for this. I think it's a hell of an idea, and will only get better as time goes on. I wish the people in the U.S. would get more into it, ala the DR and Venezuelan fans.

But seriously.. can someone answer my ESPN question??

Well, we disagree. But I will say that you're the first person I've talked to (and I have talked to a lot) who have said the current timing is the best option.

cburns
03-09-2006, 05:03 AM
For some reason I'm up watching the Puerto Rico and Ned. game and when they removed the Ned pitcher the crowd was chating "Na Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye". It was pretty cool to hear coming from a crowd in Puerto Rico.

cleanwsox
03-09-2006, 10:01 AM
basically
1. US Wins mexico loses
2. US wins mexico scores 3 runs or more
exm. US 2 SA 3 Can 7 Mex 5

So if Mexico is winning 2-0, they need to put on the breaks and hope the game ends that way?

TomBradley72
03-09-2006, 10:34 AM
The WBC has been very entertaining so far....I think they will learn alot from this first "trial run" and can explore future adjustmments (time of year, some of the unique rules designed to protect the players, etc.).

Anyone else surprised by ESPN's lack of comprehensive coverage? I'm surprised there's not a Baseball Tonight broadcast every night between all the WBC and spring training games...seems like more than enough content. I'm also surprised they are not using all of their channels to increase live coverage of games vs. tape delay/no coverage. As an international channel....seems like it would be in ESPN's interest to promote this more effectively.

The local Chicago newspaper coverage has been horrible...no real box scores (just line scores)...very sparse information on game write ups, WBC results to date, future games, etc...I think the Canada upset of USA and the Panama/Cuba, DR/Venezuala games were much bigger stories than the sports coverage indicates.

Taliesinrk
03-09-2006, 10:47 AM
So if Mexico is winning 2-0, they need to put on the breaks and hope the game ends that way?

No. In this case (I believe) that Canada would be the odd man out, not Mexico. Mexico should go all out, all the time. The interesting scenario is if Canada beats Mexico. In this case, Canada could determine our fate because by holding up and only beating mexico, let's say 1-0, would help MExico's runs given up/ 9 innings. If they say, let's win a low run nail-biter, they could be letting Mexico advance and sending us home regardless of whether we 10 run S.A. or not.

Another thing we need to be careful of when analyzing the situation is that it's not how many runs a team has given up/ 9 innings like many have inferred. It's, as stated, how many runs a team gives up/ 9 innings vs. the teams that are in a tie. This is important because although we look like we're doing pretty well in this catagory, Canada's stats are inflated because they gave up 9 to S.A. The only game that Canada and Mexico have to count right now are each of their games against us. Therefore, Mexico is in the driver's seat having only given up 2 runs (in 8 innings b/c we were the home team, IIRC) --> so 2.25 r/ 9 inn. Canada has given up 6/9 and we've given up 4/9 --> 0 vs. Mexico and 8 vs. Canada (and our stats are final). IMHO, today is the biggest game of the tourny (for us), and we're not even playing.

AZChiSoxFan
03-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Well, we disagree. But I will say that you're the first person I've talked to (and I have talked to a lot) who have said the current timing is the best option.

Bottom line is what A-Rod said. Regardless of when you play this thing, the mediots are going to say it should be played some other time. People always want to criticize.

AZChiSoxFan
03-09-2006, 11:12 AM
No. In this case (I believe) that Canada would be the odd man out, not Mexico. Mexico should go all out, all the time. The interesting scenario is if Canada beats Mexico. In this case, Canada could determine our fate because by holding up and only beating mexico, let's say 1-0, would help MExico's runs given up/ 9 innings. If they say, let's win a low run nail-biter, they could be letting Mexico advance and sending us home regardless of whether we 10 run S.A. or not.

A few corrections to make here. I'll take your second point first. If Canada beat Mexico 1-0 and the USA beat RSA, Canada and USA would advance. In that scenario, Canada would be 3-0, USA would be 2-1, Mexico would be 1-2 and RSA would be 0-3. Thus Canada and USA advance.

Your first point was stating that you believe Canada would be the odd team if Mexico beats them tonight 2-0. This is incorrect. USA would be the odd team out if that happens. If that happens (again assuming USA beats RSA) Canada, USA and Mexico would all be 2-1 and each of those team would be 1-1 against the other two. The next tiebreaker is runs allowed vs. ONLY the other two teams involved in the tiebreaker. Under the Mexico beating Canada 2-0 scenario, USA would have allowed 8 runs vs. the other two, Mexico would have allowed 2 runs, and Canada would have allowed 8 runs. Then, Mexico wins the pool and since Canada beat USA, Canada is the runner-up.

Bottom line, USA needs either a Canada win, or a Mexico win in which they score at least 3 runs. If either of those things happen, and USA beats RSA, USA moves on to the next round. If Canada wins tonight, USA can still advance even with a loss to RSA, provided they only allow a certain number of runs to RSA (I don't know that number off hand).

Check out this link:

http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/news/preview.jsp?ymd=20060309&content_id=1341576&gameid=2006_03_10_usaint_rsaint_1&sid=wbc

ilsox7
03-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Bottom line is what A-Rod said. Regardless of when you play this thing, the mediots are going to say it should be played some other time. People always want to criticize.

As I said, there is no perfect time. I just believe that of the possible times to do it, theo ne chosen was the worst. Pitch counts, ties, out of shape players, etc do not appeal to me.

gbergman
03-09-2006, 12:46 PM
basically
1. US Wins mexico loses
2. US wins mexico scores 3 runs or more -US in winner of mex/can in
exm. US 2 SA 3 Can 7 Mex 6
i quote myself to show what must happen for us to advance will update once results

Taliesinrk
03-09-2006, 05:31 PM
A few corrections to make here. I'll take your second point first. If Canada beat Mexico 1-0 and the USA beat RSA, Canada and USA would advance. In that scenario, Canada would be 3-0, USA would be 2-1, Mexico would be 1-2 and RSA would be 0-3. Thus Canada and USA advance.

Your first point was stating that you believe Canada would be the odd team if Mexico beats them tonight 2-0. This is incorrect. USA would be the odd team out if that happens. If that happens (again assuming USA beats RSA) Canada, USA and Mexico would all be 2-1 and each of those team would be 1-1 against the other two. The next tiebreaker is runs allowed vs. ONLY the other two teams involved in the tiebreaker. Under the Mexico beating Canada 2-0 scenario, USA would have allowed 8 runs vs. the other two, Mexico would have allowed 2 runs, and Canada would have allowed 8 runs. Then, Mexico wins the pool and since Canada beat USA, Canada is the runner-up.

Bottom line, USA needs either a Canada win, or a Mexico win in which they score at least 3 runs. If either of those things happen, and USA beats RSA, USA moves on to the next round. If Canada wins tonight, USA can still advance even with a loss to RSA, provided they only allow a certain number of runs to RSA (I don't know that number off hand).

Check out this link:

http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/news/preview.jsp?ymd=20060309&content_id=1341576&gameid=2006_03_10_usaint_rsaint_1&sid=wbc

Holy hell.. wow.. sorry about that. I promise that I really did know the rules and procedures before hand, I just mispoke and was trying to hurry because I was very tired and rushing to class this morning. You are right..
If you take out my last sentence about 10-runing S.A. and say there's a possibility we lose to them, then my statement you quoted holds true.
At the beginning, all I wanted to stress was that people needed to only consider runs given up against the tied teams and not vs. SA (throw those games out).

HotelWhiteSox
03-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Mexico already up 6-0 over Canada, according to ESPNEWS, a USA win gets them in

Taliesinrk
03-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Mexico already up 6-0 over Canada, according to ESPNEWS, a USA win gets them in

Whatever, I'll take it. Let's smoke RSA tomorrow and go to town on Sunday. Maybe that Canada game is what we needed.

santo=dorf
03-09-2006, 10:35 PM
If Canada doesn't score, the US is done.

9-0 Mexico in the bottom of the 6th :o:

EDIT: 1 run away from the slaughter rule

santo=dorf
03-09-2006, 10:40 PM
:eloaiza:
"Go home USA. I'm dealing tonight."

I wonder if the Canadians laying down to the Mexicans to elimate us is grounds for invasion.

Jjav829
03-09-2006, 10:41 PM
If Canada doesn't score, the US is done.

9-0 Mexico in the bottom of the 6th :o:

EDIT: 1 run away from the slaughter rule
Not true. Canada is on the brink of elimination. The US just needs to win tomorrow to advance. If we can't beat South Africa with Clemens starting, we don't deserve to advance.

BTW, did anyone see that blast by Jorge Cantu? Holy ****!

santo=dorf
03-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Not true. Canada is on the brink of elimination.

Ah yes. I forgot about how many runs the Canadians gave up between the US and Mexico.

Canada-15 Runs
US-8 Runs
Mexico-3 Runs

soxwon
03-09-2006, 10:55 PM
anyone know who is pitching for dominican republic friday?
ill be there tommorow night
in warm florida.

Deebs14
03-10-2006, 12:25 AM

I saw that bomb a few hours ago..man did he knock the **** outta that thing! I think they estimated it at 460 something, but it seemed like more than that!

The D-Rays got some nice offensive players...if they could only get some damn pitching they'd be a pretty decent team.

AZChiSoxFan
03-10-2006, 10:51 AM

Yes I did. Wow, what a blast that was. I was at the game last night and that's one of the longer homeruns I have seen at BOB/Chase Field.

areilly
03-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Caught part of the Dominican/Italy game and the Italians looked awful. It wasn't even like they were outmatched, they just flat-out stunk. Routine DP's turning into 2-run doubles? 2 walks on 8 pitches? Terrible...absolutely terrible.

ondafarm
03-10-2006, 12:40 PM
The good news in the WBC today is: if Team USA with Roger Clemens on the mound can beat South Africa, then we are thru to the next round with games against Mexico, Japan and South Korea. Team RSA has no one who's played above AA ball so hopefully this should be a game that can be won.

Of course, they could bring Al "Call me Mr Bat Away" Leiter in and spot RSA fifteen runs, maybe even give up an inside the park homer or two.

DaveIsHere
03-10-2006, 01:28 PM
What channel are these games on?

longshot7
03-10-2006, 01:40 PM
The good news in the WBC today is: if Team USA with Roger Clemens on the mound can beat South Africa, then we are thru to the next round with games against Mexico, Japan and South Korea. Team RSA has no one who's played above AA ball so hopefully this should be a game that can be won.

Of course, they could bring Al "Call me Mr Bat Away" Leiter in and spot RSA fifteen runs, maybe even give up an inside the park homer or two.

What I don't get is how do we beat Canada out for the 2nd round if they are also 2-1? Run differential? I don't like it.....

ondafarm
03-10-2006, 02:10 PM
What I don't get is how do we beat Canada out for the 2nd round if they are also 2-1? Run differential? I don't like it.....

Two teams advance out of each pool of four.

Obviously, the first standard is best record. RSA is out because they've lost two games already and will lose today to USA. So three teams are tied at 2-1 and RSA is 0-3.

The first tie-breaker is runs allowed among tied teams. This keeps games from being weak sisters counting and being massacres ala Florida State.

Three teams are tied at 2-1 so we consider the games between them:

USA 2, Mexico 0
Canada 8 USA 6
Mexico 9 Canada 1

So, Mexico allowed 3 runs in 17 innings against tied opponents (2 to USA, 1 to Canada)

Canada allowed 15 runs in 18 innings against tied opponents (6 to USA, 9 to Mexico)

USA allowed 8 runs (0 to Mexico and 8 to Canada)

This ranks Mexico first, USA second and Canada third. Presuming the USA beats RSA and is 2 wins and 1 loss.

TomBradley72
03-10-2006, 02:56 PM
What channel are these games on?

As far as I can tell....they are only on tape delay later on tonight. I'm surprised ESPN isn't finding a way to get the "other" channels (ESPN News, Classic) to provide live coverage...especially of the USA game.

cleanwsox
03-10-2006, 03:16 PM
2-0 U.S. on an A-rod double. Hopefully the US is a little ticked after losing to Canada and puts the mercy rule on RSA.

ma-gaga
03-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Not true. Canada is on the brink of elimination. The US just needs to win tomorrow to advance. If we can't beat South Africa with Clemens starting, we don't deserve to advance.

so... Jorge Cantu for Justin Morneau?

what?

itsnotrequired
03-10-2006, 03:24 PM
2-0 U.S. on an A-rod double. Hopefully the US is a little ticked after losing to Canada and puts the mercy rule on RSA.

Looks like the mercey rule is about to be applied to Panama. They are down 10-0 in the 7th.

cleanwsox
03-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Looks like the mercey rule is about to be applied to Panama. They are down 10-0 in the 7th.

And El Caballo gets pinch hit for with a runner on 1st? :?:

itsnotrequired
03-10-2006, 03:33 PM
And El Caballo gets pinch hit for with a runner on 1st? :?:

...and his replacement grounds into a game-ending double-play on the first pitch. Brilliant managing!

:rolleyes:

itsnotrequired
03-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Griffey with a 3 R homer. 7-0, USA...in the second inning.

cleanwsox
03-10-2006, 03:41 PM
...and his replacement grounds into a game-ending double-play on the first pitch. Brilliant managing!

:rolleyes:

So much for getting Carlos to play for you in the next WBC Panama. Geez, what a bad move even if you are down 10-0.

itsnotrequired
03-10-2006, 03:42 PM
DLee doubles in a pair. 9-0.

itsnotrequired
03-10-2006, 03:50 PM
USA up 10-0. Clemens needs to retire three and the USA is on to the next round...

itsnotrequired
03-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Well, that was quick.

29 pitches for Clemens.

gbergman
03-10-2006, 03:55 PM
is it on tv or is college bball only on espn now

cleanwsox
03-10-2006, 03:56 PM
USA up 10-0. Clemens needs to retire three and the USA is on to the next round...

Isn't it 15 or so runs before the 4th or something like that?

gbergman
03-10-2006, 04:01 PM
11-0 derek jeter singles in randy winn. that rhymes:D:

itsnotrequired
03-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Isn't it 15 or so runs before the 4th or something like that?

Yeah, I was jumping the gun a bit...

Maybe not. Griffey hits another 3 run shot. 14-0, USA.

gbergman
03-10-2006, 04:04 PM
14-0 griffey homers johnny damon scores, derked jeter scores. nother 3 runner

jdm2662
03-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Wow, this looks ugly just watching it on the gameday. Um, when did South Africa ever play baseball?

gbergman
03-10-2006, 04:07 PM
they'd be better than the royals

AZChiSoxFan
03-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Well, thats it. The USA is in the next round. Games against Japan (12Mar) Korea (13Mar) and Mexico (16Mar). At this rate it may be USA against Loaiza.

Yes it looks that way. Next Thur, Clemens vs. Loaiza.

ondafarm
03-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Well, thats it. The USA is in the next round. Games against Japan (12Mar) Korea (13Mar) and Mexico (16Mar). At this rate it may be USA against Loaiza.

HotelWhiteSox
03-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Griffey with 7 RBIs through 5 :o:

Hawk, :talktothehand:

jdm2662
03-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Griffey with 7 RBIs through 5 :o:

Hawk, :talktothehand:

:hawk

Where's he going to play????? :D:

chisoxfanatic
03-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Yes it looks that way. Next Thur, Clemens vs. Loaiza.

The game's actually this Sunday afternoon.

Go Team USA!!!

We should have an American flag smiley over here.

elrod
03-11-2006, 01:57 AM
Shairon Martis of the Netherlands pitched a no-hitter against Panama. He had 65 pitches to get it done and he finished the slaughter-rule game on his 65th pitch. The last out was a double play by some loser pinch hitting for Carlos Lee!

AZChiSoxFan
03-11-2006, 09:39 AM
The game's actually this Sunday afternoon.

Go Team USA!!!

We should have an American flag smiley over here.

Team USA does play this Sunday (tomorrow) but they do not play Mexico that day and Clemens will not be pitching that day either.

I was responding to a post that stated we will most likely face Loaiza when we play Mexico.

areilly
03-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Shairon Martis of the Netherlands pitched a no-hitter against Panama. He had 65 pitches to get it done and he finished the slaughter-rule game on his 65th pitch. The last out was a double play by some loser pinch hitting for Carlos Lee!

Unbelievable. I thought Panama had a decent team. I also thought NDL's only shot at anything was at going 0-3.

I'm glad there's been upsets like this. One of the biggest worries I had was that the dominant/favorite teams (USA, Japan, DR) were just going to get in and massacre everyone else.

And hats off to Martis!

PaleHoseGeorge
03-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Did anyone else watch any of the ass whupping Puerto Rico laid down on Cuba? They had over 19,000 going crazy in San Juan. Good stuff!
:thumbsup:

The game was very intense in spite of the 12-2 mercy kill final score. It started when Bernie Williams hit a moon shot 2-run dinger clear out of the ballpark in the second inning. So this young punk from Cuba, Borroto, throws a pitch high and behind the head of Ivan Rodriguez. The guy was out of his mind for the rest of the game. I wouldn't be surprised if a fight broke out when these two teams play each other again.

It was also good to see our guy Manos starting for PR. I miss the pornstache.
:wink:

:manos <--- Hands of stone, Heart of fire, Bat of steel.

rookie
03-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Will any of the WBC be on ESPN2 tomorrow or is it all college ball? I don't have Deportes and these regional BB tourneys are kind of annoying. I love the actual tourney, but these mini-tourneys don't seem to matter except to a couple of teams.

Taliesinrk
03-11-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm beginning to be a bit surprised by this thread and it's length and enthousiasm. I mean.. I thought everyone here hated the WBC and thought it was a horrendous idea??

PaleHoseGeorge
03-11-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm beginning to be a bit surprised by this thread and it's length and enthousiasm. I mean.. I thought everyone here hated the WBC and thought it was a horrendous idea??
I would rather watch a WBC game than some lame spring training game. 95 percent of the MLB roster positions have already decided before camp even begins. The last 5 percent involve the very last guys on the end of the bench. Sorry... I have better things to worry about than who will become the next Willie Harris.

Watching the Cubans throw behind the head of Ivan Rodriguez? Now that's what I call entertainment!
:cool:

Taliesinrk
03-11-2006, 06:13 PM
I would rather watch a WBC game than some lame spring training game. 95 percent of the MLB roster positions have already decided before camp even begins. The last 5 percent involve the very last guys on the end of the bench. Sorry... I have better things to worry about than who will become the next Willie Harris.

I agree 100%... I just thought that there'd be about 3 of us posting in this thread based upon the reaction to the WBC idea a couple weeks/months ago. It just seems to me that some have changed their minds. I think I'd rather watch these games than a lot of regular season ones at that..

Taliesinrk
03-12-2006, 02:27 PM
I just turned on the TV to find out when I could watch the U.S. play today, and to my dismay found out I wouldn't get it because I don't have ESPN deportes!!!!!!
How is it that we don't even get this round of games?!?!? and when will we actually get to watch our country's team compete??? this is ridiculous!!

TomBradley72
03-12-2006, 02:38 PM
I just turned on the TV to find out when I could watch the U.S. play today, and to my dismay found out I wouldn't get it because I don't have ESPN deportes!!!!!!
How is it that we don't even get this round of games?!?!? and when will we actually get to watch our country's team compete??? this is ridiculous!!

The Sun Times has the USA/Japan game being shown on ESPN2 at 3pm CST. It's not listed on my tivo/satellite channel guide....but I'm hoping that's accurate.

Taliesinrk
03-12-2006, 03:24 PM
The Sun Times has the USA/Japan game being shown on ESPN2 at 3pm CST. It's not listed on my tivo/satellite channel guide....but I'm hoping that's accurate.

yeah.. on the ESPN ticker, it now says that it will be on ESPN2...

rookie
03-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Yea, it's on ESPN2 right now, even though it wasn't listed.

rookie
03-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Dang opens with a homer, Ichiro

doublem23
03-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Well, after pounding the baseball powerhouse that is South Africa, it's good to see that the Americans once again look like the have no idea how to play their national past-time here against Japan.

itsnotrequired
03-12-2006, 05:31 PM
Well, after pounding the baseball powerhouse that is South Africa, it's good to see that the Americans once again look like the have no idea how to play their national past-time here against Japan.

Definitely. Japan is practically putting on a fundamentals clinic out there. The USA should be nervous...

HomeFish
03-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Derrek Lee tied it on a 2-run homer.

According to gameday, the new Japanese pitcher threw two "automatic balls". Am I to assume that this was because he held on to the ball too long before making his next pitch, or what?

SectionBNole
03-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Bats seem to be warming up now. Young leads off the 7th with a single up the middle. Jeter AB now.

Taliesinrk
03-12-2006, 06:32 PM
that HBP could be a blessing in disguise for USA... need a double play here..

EDIT: nevermind??

cleanwsox
03-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Wow, they take the run off the board after the guy at 3rd for Japan left early.

3-3 going into the bottom of the 8th.

Taliesinrk
03-12-2006, 06:39 PM
OH BABY!!! YOU TELLIN ME THIS **** ISN'T EXCITING?!?!?!? THAT'S AWESOME... there's no way he was all the way down the line that far on a ball hit that shallow...

EDIT: interesting replay.. maybe nevermind.. the announcers are saying he got it wrong, and it certainly appears the ump may have. One thing to take into consideration is that it's not when the ball hits the leather of the glove, it's when he has possesion of the ball.

cleanwsox
03-12-2006, 06:40 PM
OH BABY!!! YOU TELLIN ME THIS **** ISN'T EXCITING?!?!?!? THAT'S AWESOME... there's no way he was all the way down the line that far on a ball hit that shallow...

Looks like a bad call, too close to tell.

rookie
03-12-2006, 06:43 PM
I was wondering earlier why is the umpire crew not from a different country...poses too many problems if the crew is from the country of one of the participating teams...of course that means a lot of interpreters out on the field...how does soccer do it?

FarSouthSoxFan
03-12-2006, 06:47 PM

EDIT: interesting replay.. maybe nevermind.. the announcers are saying he got it wrong, and it certainly appears the ump may have. One thing to take into consideration is that it's not when the ball hits the leather of the glove, it's when he has possesion of the ball.

Gotta take into consideration Winn's limp noodle of an arm, too. :cool:

Taliesinrk
03-12-2006, 06:48 PM
I guess we should load the bases in the 9th and then hit a walk-off slam to end the controversy...

Taliesinrk
03-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Gotta take into consideration Winn's limp noodle of an arm, too. :cool:

yes.. yes.. i know, that was my bad. notice the very prompt edit. give me a break, i was pumped up people... sorry about that.

Taliesinrk
03-12-2006, 06:53 PM
oh my gosh.. this is AJ - Josh Paul all over again.. I wish the damn announcers would say their peace and call the game.. instead they're going to relive this moment for the next year.

Furthermore, I can't believe they're making comments talking about if they needed one guy in baseball to get an out, it'd be Brad Lidge. I can think of two guys in particular that would disagree: one with a bird on his hat, and the other w/ a really good looking white sock on his sleeve.

rookie
03-12-2006, 06:58 PM
oh my gosh.. this is AJ - Josh Paul all over again.. I wish the damn announcers would say their peace and call the game.. instead they're going to relive this moment for the next year.

Furthermore, I can't believe they're making comments talking about if they needed one guy in baseball to get an out, it'd be Brad Lidge. I can think of two guys in particular that would disagree: one with a bird on his hat, and the other w/ a really good looking white sock on his sleeve.

I know for sure Pods, but did Willie or Dye or both get a hit off of him in game 4?

Taliesinrk
03-12-2006, 07:03 PM
man.. i think i'm starting to sweat.. this is like the Sox sept-oct.. oh my.. big pitch.

and i don't know about willie and jermaine.. you'd think lidge would be on the hill in the 8th with dye up facing elimination, but i don't remember. i just saw the ball past the bag at second and started jumping on my pool table..

rookie
03-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Oh the drama...the drama...

itsnotrequired
03-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Oh the drama...the drama...

No doubt. This game is turing into a nail-biter.

cleanwsox
03-12-2006, 07:13 PM
I guess we should load the bases in the 9th and then hit a walk-off slam to end the controversy...

Might have to take off the deep pink in a bit........:cool:

Taliesinrk
03-12-2006, 07:14 PM
here we go..

rookie
03-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Anyone else find it funny how when the shortstop came to talk to the pitcher they had their mouths with their gloves...like anyone on Team USA understands Japanese. :rolleyes:

cleanwsox
03-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Anyone else find it funny how when the shortstop came to talk to the pitcher they had their mouths with their gloves...like anyone on Team USA understands Japanese. :rolleyes:

Commentators were saying Derrick Lee grew up in Japan and knows Japanese fairly well. Although, lip-reading it may be a bit hard for him. :wink:

rookie
03-12-2006, 07:16 PM

Well, here are your loaded bases...where's the walk off?

Taliesinrk
03-12-2006, 07:20 PM
And That's A u.s.a. Winner!!!!!!!

cleanwsox
Way to go A-rod!!! Big win for the U.S. seeing that Japan is probably the best team in the pool.

Taliesinrk
Well, here are your loaded bases...where's the walk off?

whatever... I'll take it..

rookie
03-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Commentators were saying Derrick Lee grew up in Japan and knows Japanese fairly well. Although, lip-reading it may be a bit hard for him. :wink:

Well, that's pretty cool. Shame on me for stereotyping our team. Yea us, though it's a little bittersweet. Though for some reason I didn't feel it was at all bittersweet when it was AJ or Dye's HBP, I thought it was awesome! Be nice to understand Japanese and hear what they are saying right now.

FarSouthSoxFan
03-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Be nice to understand Japanese and hear what they are saying right now.

It probably rhymes with "full hit."

Taliesinrk
03-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Well, that's pretty cool. Shame on me for stereotyping our team. Yea us, though it's a little bittersweet. Though for some reason I didn't feel it was at all bittersweet when it was AJ or Dye's HBP, I thought it was awesome! Be nice to understand Japanese and hear what they are saying right now.

you certainly shouldn't have on AJ's... his was too close to call and no1 can prove to date that that ball was caught.

gbergman
03-12-2006, 07:41 PM
whats funny about this tourney is im am becoming a fan of and rooting for people i thought i never would. arod

Jjav829
03-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Arod got a clutch hit? :o:

ondafarm
03-12-2006, 07:42 PM

I knew his uncle, who also played in Japan. He speaks fairly good Japanese. I think it's more force of habit as this covering your mouth with your glove is common in Japan.

ondafarm
03-12-2006, 07:47 PM
I was wondering earlier why is the umpire crew not from a different country...poses too many problems if the crew is from the country of one of the participating teams...of course that means a lot of interpreters out on the field...how does soccer do it?

In the soccer World Cup, each national federation posts one and only one referee from their country. Actually three additional referees work each game, all from different countries, one as the sideline official (handles subs entering) and two as linesmen.

Rugby uses one officiating team from each country and they work together. They never call a game with their own country in it.

FarSouthSoxFan
03-12-2006, 08:27 PM
espn2 PR vs DR

Cintron and Vazquez are playing

Vazquez goes through Soriano, Tejada, Pujols, and Ortiz (error by Cintron let Pujols on).

Interestingly, Mustache Valentin is playing short for PR.

gbergman
03-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Home Run Adrian Beltre off Javier Vasquez

itsnotrequired
03-12-2006, 08:59 PM
That throw by Rodriguez was awesome. Nice job by Cora as well getting his leg in front of the base.

Strike 'em out, throw 'em out...I love it.

FarSouthSoxFan
03-12-2006, 09:08 PM
That throw by Rodriguez was awesome. Nice job by Cora as well getting his leg in front of the base.

Strike 'em out, throw 'em out...I love it.

Why do people still try to run on Pudge?

Silly, silly, silly.

1-1 now.

ilsox7
03-12-2006, 09:12 PM

Not True:

A CATCHis the act of a fielder in getting secure possession in his hand or glove of a ball in flight and firmly holding it; providing he does not use his cap, protector, pocket or any other part of his uniform in getting possession. It is not a catch, however, if simultaneously or immediately following his contact with the ball, he collides with a player, or with a wall, or if he falls down, and as a result of such collision or falling, drops the ball. It is not a catch if a fielder touches a fly ball which then hits a member of the offensive team or an umpire and then is caught by another defensive player. If the fielder has made the catch and drops the ball while in the act of making a throw following the catch, the ball shall be adjudged to have been caught. In establishing the validity of the catch, the fielder shall hold the ball long enough to prove that he has complete control of the ball and that his release of the ball is voluntary and intentional. A catch is legal if the ball is finally held by any fielder, even though juggled, or held by another fielder before it touches the ground. Runners may leave their bases the instant the first fielder touches the ball. A fielder may reach over a fence, railing, rope or other line of demarcation to make a catch. He may jump on top of a railing, or canvas that may be in foul ground. No interference should be allowed when a fielder reaches over a fence, railing, rope or into a stand to catch a ball. He does so at his own risk. If a fielder, attempting a catch at the edge of the dugout, is "held up" and kept from an apparent fall by a player or players of either team and the catch is made, it shall be allowed.

itsnotrequired
03-12-2006, 09:32 PM
I can't believe Beltre still made that throw.

Round 2 of the WBC has been on FIRE!

dlee120
03-12-2006, 09:40 PM
That was a really impressive outing by Vasquez. 5 strong innings vs one of the best lineups in the WBC! I love it.

dcb56
03-12-2006, 09:42 PM
The game got held up because Marte was wearing the wrong hat. LOL!

And true to form, he walked the leadoff hitter.

gbergman
03-12-2006, 09:43 PM
LOL!!! Damaso had wrong hat on you would think if everyone had a redbilled one you would get one. BTW back to old form leadoff walk

dcb56
03-12-2006, 09:48 PM
LOL!!! Damaso had wrong hat on you would think if everyone had a redbilled one you would get one. BTW back to old form leadoff walk

Followed by a double and a two run single! I'm glad this guy won't have the chance to deep six the Sox anymore.

3-1 Puerto Rico, man on 2nd with nobody out

FarSouthSoxFan
03-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Wow. Damaso is pissing this game away. That's familiar.

esbrechtel
03-12-2006, 09:51 PM
glad to see that marte is playing so well....i will miss him this year!

ondafarm
03-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Interestingly, Mustache Valentin is playing short for PR.

No, he's playing third.

Kogs35
03-12-2006, 09:55 PM
nice there playing nanana hey hey hey goodbye

FarSouthSoxFan
03-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Marte got pulled, and the crowd was signing "Na na na na!"

HOLY CRAP!

Marte got Na Na'd!

esbrechtel
03-12-2006, 09:57 PM
that was a hell of a bunt

ilsox7
03-12-2006, 09:57 PM

This game, IMO, has defined what is horribly wrong with the WBC and what also can be great about the event, if done right. The passion of the players and fans here is what is and could be so good about this event. But having to pull Colon after 5 innings b/c of when the event is held, thus allowing Marte to piss away the game, is what is so very wrong about this thing.

FarSouthSoxFan
03-12-2006, 09:59 PM
I hope PR doesn't put in some version of Marte to ruin Javy's good game.

esbrechtel
03-12-2006, 10:02 PM
im trying to figure out when would be the best time to hold the WBC...there really is no good time to actually hold it, i like the idea but the MLB season is too long....

FarSouthSoxFan
03-12-2006, 10:03 PM
im trying to figure out when would be the best time to hold the WBC...there really is no good time to actually hold it, i like the idea but the MLB season is too long....

Yep.

ilsox7
03-12-2006, 10:04 PM
I mentioned earlier in this thread (and was disagreed with) that the best time is every four years during November. It gives the players some time off to rest after the season, but not so much that pitchers couldn't go 8 innings or more. And it's obvious that the players are willing to sacrifice to represent their country for this.

esbrechtel
03-12-2006, 10:09 PM
is it every four years?

FarSouthSoxFan
03-12-2006, 10:11 PM
is it every four years?

Yah.

esbrechtel
03-12-2006, 10:12 PM
thanks, i really didnt know too much about it, i figured it would flop in the US because it messes with ST.... we will see i guess, although the games are more fun to watch than ST games because it looks like everyone really wants to win

FarSouthSoxFan
03-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Wow. The Sox could out-field the Dominicans all day long. This is sad.

itsnotrequired
03-12-2006, 10:20 PM

The final line:

0.1 IP, 3 H, 3 R (2 earned), 1 BB, 1 K, 20.25 ERA