PDA

View Full Version : Bob Shaw Interview

Lip Man 1
02-26-2006, 11:26 PM
He’s a member of the distinguished White Sox past and also was around for the amazing 2005 season.

He’s a player who has a unique perspective of what it’s like to pitch in pressure situations both in the regular season and in the World Series.

He’s BOB SHAW and he is the latest interview on the main page at White Sox Interactive www.whitesoxinteractive.com (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com)

Shaw was an important member of the White Sox starting rotation in 1959 winning 18 games. He also started two games in the 1959 World Series and was on the mound for some of its signature moments... namely Al Smith’s ‘beer bath’ in the 7th inning of game #2 and outdueling Sandy Koufax to win 1-0 in game #5 (thanks to a miraculous catch by Jungle Jim Rivera.)

Shaw talks about both series games and some of the important games that he pitched in the regular season in 1959. He talks about his roommate Early Wynn and the sage advice he got from him. He talks about Al Lopez and the misconception’s that sprung up over the years thanks to Jim Bouton’s book, ‘Ball Four’, leading many to think the two men didn’t get along and he talks about coming back last season for the ‘Turn Back The Clock’ promotion in June and game #1 of the World Series.

He’s an articulate man and I hope you’ll enjoying reading his story at White Sox Interactive.

Lip

SouthSide_HitMen
02-27-2006, 12:03 AM
Bob Shaw won Game 5 (I wish it was 6 - that would have meant a Game 7 and possible World Series Championship).

Look forward to reading the interview.

PaulDrake
03-01-2006, 05:24 PM
These interviews always exceed my expectations. Being in the information business I'm looking for something beyond the usual pap and tripe most sports journalists provide. Once again Lip gets his interview subject to reveal something out of the ordinary and of great interest. Maybe the White Sox did get it wrong in their scouting report on Charlie Neal. Shaw's contention that he had success against Neal in the NL is borne out by researching some old box scores at http://www.retrosheet.org/. Charlie Neal had a big series against the Sox, and is one reason the Dodgers prevailed. I'm glad that the Sox sought to include Shaw and his teammates in the 2005 postseason. It's great that Al Lopez lived just long enough to see the Sox finally win one. The 59 team was not the best White Sox team in the go go era IMHO. However, they were the only one to win a pennant.

Paulwny
03-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Lip, another great interview !!!!!!!!!!!!!

BainesHOF
03-02-2006, 05:32 AM
Congratulations on yet another great interview. I'd encourage you to publish a book featuring all of your interviews.

Wsoxmike59
03-02-2006, 07:01 AM
Congratulations on yet another great interview. I'd encourage you to publish a book featuring all of your interviews.

Hear, hear! I second that motion. Whenever I read your Interviews Mark, I immediately think of Bob Vanderberg's first book SOX: From Lane to Fain and Zisk to Fisk.

It came out in the early 80's and Vanderberg caught up with a lot of players from the Sox storied past, he interviews them and gets some insight on what it was like to play for the Sox back in the day, and then catches up with them in their current lives.

It's an awesome read, and Lips' excellent articles/interviews are like an addendum to the Vanderberg book. They are wonderful addition to this website and should be put in book form one day if possible.

PaulDrake
03-02-2006, 08:51 AM
I forgot to mention Kluszewski's homer that wasn't in 1960, which is in the interview. Things like that always seemed to happen to the Sox, so if they had a little luck in 05, so be it. It was long overdue.

wilburaga
03-02-2006, 11:31 AM
I wonder if the following episode actually took place. (Originally related by Rich Lindberg.)

When Bill Veeck's White Sox wouldn't give him the raise he felt he deserved for 1960, Bob Shaw reportedly stood atop a catwalk outside Comiskey Park and shouted down to fans, "We're not going to win! Why are you people here?"

W

Cambridge
03-02-2006, 01:49 PM
As always, a very good read.

Lip Man 1
03-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Wilbur:

I asked Bob about that 'incident'. He denies that or anything like it ever took place.

Lip

wilburaga
03-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Wilbur:

I asked Bob about that 'incident'. He denies that or anything like it ever took place.

Lip

Interesting. I'll have to take Bob's word on that. I always questioned the 'incident' because it never got much play.

BTW, great interview, as usual.

W

my5thbench
03-06-2006, 04:22 PM
very nice interview both entertaining & informative, Mr Shaw seems very down to earth

thanks Lip it was great

go go SOXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX again