PDA

View Full Version : Any reports or sightings of the following players?

caulfield12
02-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Don't know very much now, everyone says Javier Lopez has looked like the best of the lefties, and that Borchard is off to a good start (cross your fingers).

Ben Grieve (was late getting to camp)
Rob Valido
Jason Stumm
Corwin Malone
Kris Honel (is he ready to pitch again at 100%)
Anderson Gomes
Rusty Tucker (how does his fastball look?)
Chad Bentz
Agustin Montero (the Rangers pitcher who we claimed, suspended for steroids)

from the newberg report...
Montero has bounced up and down as a middle reliever in the Dodger system the last five seasons, after beginning his career on the Oakland farm. He split the 2004 season between AAA Las Vegas and AA Jacksonville, struggling at the higher level in the first half as he went 1-4, 7.69 over 45.2 innings, permitting 55 hits (.289 opponents' average) and 26 walks while striking out 38. After a demotion to AA, where he'd spent parts of the two previous seasons, he dazzled the Southern League with a 2-0, 2.40 mark, holding hitters to a .190 average as he scattered 20 hits and 16 walks in 30 innings, punching out 36.
Montero is about the same age as new Ranger manager of professional and international scouting A.J. Preller, who also arrived from the Los Angeles organization last month. Preller, incidentally, is a Cornell graduate just like the similarly aged Jon Daniels, the Rangers' assistant general manager. And Preller clearly must have arrived with good reports on Montero, and shared them with Daniels and John Hart.
Montero throws hard, generally in the mid-90s, according to a few reports I read last night. And he did well with a cameo in big league camp last spring, appearing six times for the Dodgers and giving up one run (1.50 ERA) on three hits (.143 opponents' average) and a walk in six innings, punching out seven. And if the website I found is up to date, he has permitted only 10 hits and four walks in 13.1 Dominican Winter League innings, racking up 19 strikeouts and posting an ERA of 1.35 in relief.

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-26-2006, 01:32 PM
I saw a brief Rusty Tucker interview on the news last night. I didn't pay that much attention to it but I saw that his number is 39. They showed him working on fielding ground balls from the mound. He looked pretty good to me.