PDA

View Full Version : Fabio Castro

cws05champ
02-26-2006, 12:03 AM
Has anyone heard any reports out of Rangers camp on Fabio Castro? If I'm not mistaken if he doesn't stick on Texas' roster the whole year they have to give him back to the Sox.

KRS1
02-26-2006, 12:05 AM
Has anyone heard any reports out of Rangers camp on Fabio Castro? If I'm not mistaken if he doesn't stick on Texas' roster the whole year they have to give him back to the Sox.

Yeah we get him back for 25k I believe, half the price he cost in the rule-5. No I havent heard anything, but I'll check it out soon.

In the Rangers mailbag at mlb.com this was submitted.

"What are your thoughts regarding the makeup of the opening pitching staff. Who makes it? Who doesn't? Two or three lefties? What happens with Fabio Castro?
-- Jim, Grapevine, Texas
There are at least 14 candidates for four spots in the bullpen. Best best this early is that there will be two left-handers in the bullpen. Erasmo Ramirez, Brian Shouse and Wilson are in the pole position at the start. Castro is a long shot to make the team as a Rule 5 guy, but the Rangers could end up cutting a deal to keep him."

Can someone tell me how they could cut a deal to keep him? Rules state he must be offered up to us for half the acquired price, so would that mean a trade?

Here's a Dallas Morning News Piece on him, but you have to register....... http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/registration/register.jsp?fw=http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/022106dnsporangbriefs.cec0621.html

The article basically says the Rangers love Castro's upside, and don't plan on giving him up. Looking over a couple different articles, this is the only one that thinks he actually has an inside shot at the 25 man. All of them however say they really like his stuff and want to keep him. His curve has impressed everyone at camp, and everyone is amazed by his velocity considering his frame.

pearso66
02-26-2006, 12:49 AM
I believe they can offer the Sox money or something. I know the Sox kept Jason Grilli for like 25k after they sent him down to AAA a couple of years ago. He was a rule 5 guy from Florida.

caulfield12
02-26-2006, 12:09 PM
I believe they can offer the Sox money or something. I know the Sox kept Jason Grilli for like 25k after they sent him down to AAA a couple of years ago. He was a rule 5 guy from Florida.

Well, they have to pay $50K to draft him, and $25,000 is the price his former club would pay to take him back.

It's simply a matter of negotiations between the two teams when the drafting team really wants to keep him. However, a lot of teams re-analyze the talent of a player that has been so-to-say stolen from them and want to bring them back, because it would make them look bad if he succeeded somewhere else.

Of course, then there are other situations, like with Bobby Jenks or Wil Hancock, the pitcher that was waived for reporting to the Reds 17 pounds overweight.

I wonder if there's any possibility he (Castro) pitches well, doesn't make the Rangers but pitches better than all of our lefthanders and makes the White Sox? Doubt that would happen, but who knows?

cws05champ
02-26-2006, 01:09 PM
I beleive that the Rangers would have to negotiate with the Sox if they wanted to keep him and send him to the minors. They would have to pay the Sox $$, or work out a trade with one of their own prospects in return.

Would like to see him back in the Sox Org...only 20yrs old and has good stuff. Potential bullpen arm in 1-2 yrs.

California Sox
02-26-2006, 02:29 PM
The Sox might not want him. How else do you explain the failure to protect him while clogging up the 40 man with the likes of Adkins and Diaz, players who were later released outright?

I think the roster is currently at 36, which means they could easily have protected Castro if they liked him. Maybe one Arnie Munoz is enough for them?

cws05champ
02-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Well, I havn't seen him pitch but from articles I read on Sports weekly, his #'s and age, I thought that he seemed like a good prospect. There had to be some reason he was the overall #1 Rule 5 draft pick.

rdivaldi
02-26-2006, 06:20 PM
The Sox might not want him. How else do you explain the failure to protect him while clogging up the 40 man with the likes of Adkins and Diaz, players who were later released outright?

I think the roster is currently at 36, which means they could easily have protected Castro if they liked him. Maybe one Arnie Munoz is enough for them?

They liked him, but I think they thought that it would be a major stretch for a team to waste a roster spot on a guy who pitched at A-Ball last year.

caulfield12
02-26-2006, 06:44 PM
They liked him, but I think they thought that it would be a major stretch for a team to waste a roster spot on a guy who pitched at A-Ball last year.

The last Sox pitcher to make that jump was Scott Radinsky, and Rads had much better stuff than Castro.

I think he went from Low-A (South Bend) all the way to the bigs.

Randar68
02-27-2006, 03:36 PM

Castro is very raw, that's why. He's a converted infielder (IIRC) and still learning to pitch.