PDA

View Full Version : Nancy Faust's Favorite Songs

cards press box
02-25-2006, 07:18 PM
Greetings. I have read flyingsock.com for a while and wanted to post a question.

As all White Sox fans know, Nancy Faust has many favorite songs that she will play periodically (e.g., Nancy seems to play something from My Fair Lady whenever Chone Figgins bats against the Sox.) I am trying to compile a playlist of Nancy's favorite songs for my iPod.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Half Cocked Jack
02-25-2006, 08:33 PM
I've noticed she likes Green Day. I've heard "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" and even "American Idiot".

RadioheadRocks
02-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Hmmm let's see... lots of these go back a ways but here's some of her more notable tunes (these are just off the top of my head):

RUNAROUND SUE/Dion
FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS/Neil Diamond
ROSANNA/Toto
JOY/Apollo 100
SHINE/Collective Soul
IRON MAN/Black Sabbath
NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE/Jackson Five (usually the very last song she plays at the end of the night)

Also if you have a chance I know the gift shop at the Cell has a cassette tape of Nancy, and she also had a vinyl LP about 20 years ago called "Nancy Faust's Crowd Pleasing Favorites"... may have to do some real searching to find that one though (I've never seen any on eBay... and no I'm not parting with my autographed copy!!!). Was hoping those would be made available on CD, but apparently that's not happening any time in the foreseeable future.

thomas35forever
02-25-2006, 11:01 PM
I've noticed she likes Green Day. I've heard "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" and even "American Idiot".

She played both of those during the Prior-Garland game. She played "Idiot" after the third inning or so and she played "Boulevard" when Todd Walker came to bat: "I'm the only one and I walk alone."

SouthSide_HitMen
02-26-2006, 12:03 AM
Hmmm let's see... lots of these go back a ways but here's some of her more notable tunes (these are just off the top of my head):

RUNAROUND SUE/Dion
FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS/Neil Diamond
ROSANNA/Toto
JOY/Apollo 100
SHINE/Collective Soul
IRON MAN/Black Sabbath
NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE/Jackson Five (usually the very last song she plays at the end of the night)

Great start. I'll add

Kiss Him Goodbye / Steam
Build Me Up Buttercup / The Foundations
In A Gadda Da Vida / Iron Butterfly

Also, from her work with the Blackhawks

Wipeout / The Surfaris
Gonna Fly Now / The Rocky Orchastra
Send in the Clowns / Frank Sinatra

If I think of anymore I'll add them here.

MrRoboto83
02-26-2006, 06:42 AM
She used to play the 80's reggae hit "Break my Stride" at lot.

Stoky44
02-26-2006, 07:31 AM

She also played the theme song to Beverly Hills Cop a lot in the 80's.

One of my favorites she still plays: Classical Gas by Mason Williams

Also Lake Shore Drive is another great Nancy play.

TornLabrum
02-26-2006, 09:48 AM
For Saturday games, she always starts with Saturday in the Park by Chicago.

areilly
02-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Sometimes she'll play "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World when the visitors' #5 hitter comes up.

And I think "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" is the standard tune for when an opposing batter gets a walk.

johnr1note
02-26-2006, 10:40 AM

"Break My Stride" was by Matthew Wilder and the group Ace of Base. I wouldn't say it was reggae.

I would be more interested in a list of the creative things Nancy would play as the short introduction when certain visiting players came to the plate (or even in the old days when she was the only music feature at old Comiskey, and she played intros for the Sox players). Some of you have remembered a few of those. For example, i remember chuckling when she would play "Tavern in the Town" whenever Jesse Barfield came to bat.

TornLabrum
02-26-2006, 10:41 AM
And I think "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" is the standard tune for when an opposing batter gets a walk.

That or "Baby Elephant Walk"

cards press box
02-26-2006, 12:31 PM
"Break My Stride" was by Matthew Wilder and the group Ace of Base. I wouldn't say it was reggae.

I would be more interested in a list of the creative things Nancy would play as the short introduction when certain visiting players came to the plate (or even in the old days when she was the only music feature at old Comiskey, and she played intros for the Sox players). Some of you have remembered a few of those. For example, i remember chuckling when she would play "Tavern in the Town" whenever Jesse Barfield came to bat.

I agree. When I posted the question about Nancy's favorite songs, I was not only referring to standards like Dion's Runaround Sue and Betty Everett's The Shoop-Shoop Song but also to the clever riffs that Nancy played for opposing players and for White Sox players, as well. For example, Kansas City used to have an infielder named Jeff King and I recall that Nancy would play Roger Miller's King of the Road when he came to bat. Nancy would also playTake Five for opposing players with the #5 or the theme from The Magnificent Seven for opposing players with the #7.

Anyway, I knew that the sum of the posters on this website would remember more of Nancy's favorites than I could by myself. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. My White Sox playlist is filling up.

RadioheadRocks
02-26-2006, 06:22 PM
She also played the theme song to Beverly Hills Cop a lot in the 80's.

Otherwise known as AXEL F. :D:

RadioheadRocks
02-27-2006, 12:43 AM

She used to play the Rice-A-Roni jingle whenever Jim Rice came to the plate ("Rice-A-Roni, the San Francisco Treat!").

McCuddy
02-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Song that sticks out for some reason: "You Can't Change That" by Raydio. Used to be a part of the pre-game at the old park a lot.

4th Gen. Sox Fan
02-27-2006, 01:13 PM
A few years back she played "Centerfold" by The J. Geils Band when Brian Giles came to bat. She also plays "Norwegian Wood" by The Beatles after a player breaks his bat or "Get Back" when someone hits one just foul and trots back to the batters box

BearSox
02-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Seems like everytime i'm at the park I hear Safety Dance by Men Without Hats which is becoming one of my favorites of hers.

SOXPHILE
02-27-2006, 01:22 PM
She sometimes plays Stop ! In the Name of Love (Before You Break My Heart) when the opposition strings together a couple of hits.

mcg
02-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Does anyone know where I can find Nancy Faust tunes to play in iTunes? I found "Take me out to the ballgame" and "Chicago" online but that's it so far. I know WSI has some of her tunes but they download as RealMedia files and iTunes can't open them. Or does anyone here know how to convert RealMedia files so they can play in iTunes? Is that even possible?

BiancaCalzini
02-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Nancy has always had a good "ear" both for what is going on in the game in progess as well as in sports news:
When we had a good lead - If You're Happy and You Know It, Clap Your Hands.
When we had just given up the lead - Good Thing, Where Have You Gone?
Before a James Baldwin start - Piano Man
Dave Winfield's first at-bat in old Comiskey after scoring a HUGE (at that time) contract - If I Were A Rich Man
Steve Lyons' first at-bat after dropping trou in Detroit - Bad Moon on the Rise (as the Jumbotron gave a shot of the moon)
After Jeff Torborg mentioned he'd begun to believe in the team's ability to win ugly, and had in fact just done so - I'm a Believer
After Torborg mentioned he was beginning to be leary of a late lead of 9 - whatever, as the team seemed to fold at that point, and at this particular game had a lead of 9 - 2 going into the top of the ninth - Very Superstitious
One of the last songs played at The Great Lady - Places (I'll Remember) by the Beatles. It brought tears to my eyes that day and still does.

retro1983hat
02-27-2006, 01:52 PM
I have a question:

Since Nancy will only be working day games, have we seen the end of the "Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye" chant at the Cell?
She would start her organ with the first few bars so that everyone could sing along at the same time.
I will miss that more than anything else Nancy did.

soxinem1
02-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Her version of NaNaNaNa, HeyHeyHey, Kiss Him Goodbye' she came up with during the 1990 season, and her 'Star Wars Theme' for Game One of the 2005 World Series are my classics.

But her 'She was only 16' and 'Your 16' for Luis Polonia a few years back were great taunts, too bad Polonia probably never understood the joke, the dip****!

LongLiveFisk
02-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Otherwise known as AXEL F. :D:

I miss hearing that one at the park. I know it's old news now, but it's still a fun song. :smile:

SouthSideHitman
02-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Nancy seems to play something from My Fair Lady whenever Chone Figgins bats against the Sox
I do believe she plays what's called Servants' Chorus on the official soundtrack (the line being "wait, Professor Higgens.") On April 15 she'll play Taxman [Beatles], during rain delays or long pitching chanes she'll sometimes bust out The Waiting [Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers], etc, etc. I noticed that she plays Sixteen, Going On Seventeen from The Sound of Music whenever number 16 comes up, or alternately, Only Sixteen [Sam Cooke]. She does that with a lot of numbers. One Is the Lonliest Number [Three Dog Night], The Magnificent Seven [The Clash], etc. I do believe that I remember her playing Johnny Angel [Shelley Fabares], either for Peralta or Damon last year (can't remember) and Young at Heart [Sinatra] for one of the Youngs. Of course things like Walk Like a Man [Dion and the Belmonts, I believe] after a walk are a given, but I wish I could think of more spoofs on players' names, those are where she really shines.

Dolly
02-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Does anyone know where I can find Nancy Faust tunes to play in iTunes? I found "Take me out to the ballgame" and "Chicago" online but that's it so far. I know WSI has some of her tunes but they download as RealMedia files and iTunes can't open them. Or does anyone here know how to convert RealMedia files so they can play in iTunes? Is that even possible?I just open it in RealMedia and burn it to a CD, then import the CD into iTunes. There's probably a better way to do it than that, but not being a techie, I don't know of any other way.

the gooch
02-28-2006, 03:47 PM
i laughed when she played the adams family tune for jonny gomes.

BiancaCalzini
02-28-2006, 10:21 PM
I just remembered: during Thigpen's record saves season, she played "I Wanna Be Bobby's Girl."

VenturaSoxFan23
03-01-2006, 11:06 AM
i laughed when she played the adams family tune for jonny gomes.

She usually does that when there's a lull in the action, too, to get the crowd involved.
I seem to recall during rain delays, she'd play "It's Raining Men". Pretty funny, I must say. Then again, I haven't been at a Sox rain delay since 1989, so times have changed.

Nancy is definitely on the cusp of pop culture. It's like "Name That Tune" , whenever my family went to a game. She'd play something and to see my mom or dad's face light up was priceless. ("I haven't heard that song in years!") That's why this switch to exclusive day-games will hurt for awhile.

RadioheadRocks
03-01-2006, 02:19 PM
She also would play SOLID by Ashford and Simpson for Bob James whenever he would come in for a save situation back in 1985.

FielderJones
03-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Or does anyone here know how to convert RealMedia files so they can play in iTunes? Is that even possible?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60997

cards press box
03-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all the suggested songs. I thought I would list the Nancy Faust favorites not previously posted that I have been able to remember:

Classical Gas -- Mason Williams
I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) -- The Proclaimers
Wedding Bell Blues -- The 5th Dimension or Laura Nyro
California, Here I Come -- Al Jolson
Peter Gunn Theme -- Henry Mancini or the Blues Brothers Band
The Chicken Dance
The Theme from Dragnet
The Theme from Superman
We're Off To See The Wizard -- Judy Garland/Ray Bolger (guess who Nancy used to play this for?)
Y.M.C.A. -- The Village People
Walk Like An Egyptian -- The Bangles
When You Wish Upon A Star
Rockin' Robin -- The Jackson 5
In My Life -- The Beatles
Bohemian Rhapsody -- Queen
Hold That Tiger
Hail To The Chief
Limbo Rock -- Chubby Checker
Love Potion No. 9 -- The Drfiters
Funky Cold Medina -- Tone Loc
Sweet Little Sixteen -- Chuck Berry
Great Balls of Fire -- Jerry Lee Lewis
Theme from Star Wars
Theme from Flipper
Theme from Back to the Future
Where Everybody Knows Your Name -- Gary Portnoy

and, of course

Go Go White Sox -- Cap'n Stubby and the Buccaneers

cards press box
03-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Two corrections on that last post. The Tone Loc song that Nancy used to play was Wild Thing and not Funky Cold Medina. And the correct title for Cap'n Stubby and the Buccaneers' song should be Let's Go Go Go White Sox.

By the way, it's off-topic but Javier Vazquez pitched a terrific game today for Puerto Rico in the WBC. I have a hunch that he will be top-notch this year.

Bobbo35
03-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Dancing Queen always sticks out in my mind. Always a pre game song.