PDA

View Full Version : Canseco staying?

irish rover
01-10-2002, 11:27 AM
a guy I work with said that TSN is reporting that Canseco is going to stay with sox for insurance for frank

rmusacch
01-10-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by irish rover
a guy I work with said that TSN is reporting that Canseco is going to stay with sox for insurance for frank

He cannot join the Sox until May 1st.

Foulke You
01-10-2002, 02:41 PM
Why is that?

czalgosz
01-10-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Why is that?

They declined to offer Canseco arbitration. If you don't offer a restriced free agent salary arbitration, you can't talk to them until May 1. It's in the rules.

kermittheefrog
01-10-2002, 03:50 PM
I think the Sox did offer him arbitration, I remember reading it somewhere.

Cheryl
01-10-2002, 05:22 PM
NNOOOOOO!!!!!

I hate Canseco. I have always, I will always. Even in a Sox uni, I still hate him.

RichH55
01-10-2002, 05:29 PM
Damn you Kermit! I thought that too(unless you are mocking me), but it was proven to me that I simply read it wrong....he was on the list of guys we didnt offer

Daver
01-10-2002, 06:00 PM
Kenny Williams is on record stating that Jose Canseco will not return to the White Sox.

kermittheefrog
01-10-2002, 06:25 PM
Hmmmm.... I thought Jose was offered arbitration. I could swear I read that somewhere, guess not. Anyway we could still bring in Rickey Henderson.

Daver
01-10-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Hmmmm.... I thought Jose was offered arbitration. I could swear I read that somewhere, guess not. Anyway we could still bring in Rickey Henderson.

Why?

kermittheefrog
01-10-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by daver

Why?

He's just about the most patient hitter in baseball and still a pretty decent ballplayer. We could use someone like that.

Daver
01-10-2002, 06:33 PM

He's just about the most patient hitter in baseball and still a pretty decent ballplayer. We could use someone like that.

Yeah just what the Sox need,another outfeilder.

rmusacch
01-11-2002, 09:29 AM
I think the Sox did offer him arbitration, I remember reading it somewhere.

They did not offer him arbitration and even if they did and he rejected it, I think the date that they could sign him by has already passed.

Mathew
01-11-2002, 03:29 PM
Henderson is patient but what is your definition of decent? Harold Baines?

Mathew
01-11-2002, 03:30 PM
I would not be surprised, ya another DH with no speed,and 140Ks great!

KempersRS
01-11-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
NNOOOOOO!!!!!

I hate Canseco. I have always, I will always. Even in a Sox uni, I still hate him.

Dead on, Cheryl. Canseco was on my list, I am sure, for the players I wanted out of here and I thought it was going to happen. Now I am not so sure he is out, ugh, this is mistake. If he stays on, it will mean trouble...

RichH55
01-14-2002, 07:40 PM
I like Rickey and think he is still a major league viable player, but he just doesn't fit in for the ballclub right now

RichH55
01-14-2002, 07:43 PM
I've siad it a couple of times now...there has to be a team out there for Jose....no one has ever really questioned his talent, and he knows the end is near and that he still hasthings left to prove....thats a motivated guy with a lot of talent who isnt going to cost you more than the minimum....I can't fathom how there isnt a team for him...you know playing a stint with Newark shows the guy still wants to play...even if he is playing for his numbers, if he gets to the numbers he wants, doesn't the team benefit? Still the White Sox aren't the team for jose this year but I hope he catches on somewhere

nut_stock
01-14-2002, 09:07 PM
Im suprised someone like Kansas City doesn't go after him, but then again I don't remember who their DH was.

RichH55
01-14-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
Im suprised someone like Kansas City doesn't go after him, but then again I don't remember who their DH was.

KC should have taken a run at him if they were going to make moves like they did....Does anyone think Michael Tucker has more value than Jose? I like the Knoblauch signing, but you can make a definate case that Jose could have been better than Chuck especially due to cost and the fact that KC isnt exactly selling out everygame.....though if they take at-bats away from youngsters with potential(read: Dee Brown) upgrading from Michael Tucker to Jose is like putting a bandaid on a shotgun wound

kermittheefrog
01-14-2002, 11:54 PM
I think Minnesota of all teams needs Jose. They were a contender last year and their offense fell on it's ass because it lacked strong bats. Jose could give them a boost if no one else.

RichH55
01-15-2002, 12:03 AM
I think Minnesota of all teams needs Jose. They were a contender last year and their offense fell on it's ass because it lacked strong bats. Jose could give them a boost if no one else.

Hey the price is right.....