PDA

View Full Version : Gammons gives Sox/Rowand Some Love

California Sox
02-25-2006, 03:06 PM
According to Baseball Info Solutions, Rowand was the best defensive center fielder in the game in 2005.

Jeremy Reed was second.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) PG's ESPN column is insider's only (meaning you've got to take a subscription to their mag).

Pretty interesting article about statistical analysis to rank player's defensively. Sox ranked fourth overall in baseball behind Phillies, Indians, and Angels.

Players who do well: Mark Teixira, Chase Utley, Adam Everett, Adrian Beltre, Coco Crisp, Trot Nixon.

Not so good: Robinson Cano, Soriano, Sheffield, Jeter, Nomar, Yankees as a team.

kevin57
02-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Jeremy Reed was second.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) PG's ESPN column is insider's only (meaning you've got to take a subscription to their mag).

Pretty interesting article about statistical analysis to rank player's defensively. Sox ranked fourth overall in baseball behind Phillies, Indians, and Angels.

Players who do well: Mark Teixira, Chase Utley, Adam Everett, Adrian Beltre, Coco Crisp, Trot Nixon.

Not so good: Robinson Cano, Soriano, Sheffield, Jeter, Nomar, Yankees as a team.

Of course, old George in NY knows better. Yanks in '06!

spiffie
02-25-2006, 03:44 PM
Randar is going to have something to say about this...esp this quote from the article

The ESPN set when the World Series was in Houston was in dead center, which provided Larry Bowa and I a perfect position to watch what became a favorite show -- Aaron Rowand (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6742)'s jumps in center field.
At one point Bowa made the observation that Rowand seemed to be two steps into his jump before the ball was hit.

patbooyah
02-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Randar is going to have something to say about this...esp this quote from the article

i have a feeling it will be along the lines of: "Two steps in the wrong direction"

SOXintheBURGH
02-25-2006, 05:56 PM
i have a feeling it will be along the lines of: "Two steps in the wrong direction"

But he's a Bears fan and loves the city so much, we can't let him go! :whiner:

SOXSINCE'70
02-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Of course, old George in NY knows better. Yanks in '06!

Pardon me while I steal from Artie Lange and
Howard Stern:"wahh,wahh,wahh".:whiner:

"WAAAH!!!!:whiner: WE HAVEN'T WON A WORLD SERIES IN 5 FRIGGIN' YEARS,
WAAAAHHH!!:whiner:WE HAVE TO BE NUMBER ONE,WAHH!!WE'VE ONLY WON 26
WORLD SERIES IN 39 TRIES,WAHHH!!!":whiner:

Could MLB please contract the Yankmees,Blow Sawx amd sCrUBS??:rolleyes:
Is it just me or is everyone sick of these damn teams??

Dadawg_77
02-25-2006, 06:53 PM
Jeremy Reed was second.

The ranking are from John Dewan at Baseball Info Solutions. I haven't read the book the arguably the best metric out there URZ, allways has Rowand at the top of the list for CF.

jabrch
02-25-2006, 07:26 PM
The ranking are from John Dewan at Baseball Info Solutions. I haven't read the book the arguably the best metric out there URZ, allways has Rowand at the top of the list for CF.

URZ? Are you talking about UZR? (transposed letters?)

Cuz UZR is as crappy as any other single monolithic stat that purports to measure defensive skills.

Rowand made himself into a strong CF. He will be missed. But it isn't as if he was THAT dominant that he is the difference maker. Thome's offensive contribution over Everett should be much greater than the slippage from Rowand to whomever we end up putting out in CF.

champagne030
02-25-2006, 09:37 PM
URZ? Are you talking about UZR? (transposed letters?)

Cuz UZR is as crappy as any other single monolithic stat that purports to measure defensive skills.

Rowand made himself into a strong CF. He will be missed. But it isn't as if he was THAT dominant that he is the difference maker. Thome's offensive contribution over Everett should be much greater than the slippage from Rowand to whomever we end up putting out in CF.

Agreed. Rowand was one of my favorite players. I will say, as a season ticket holder in the outfield, he didn't get the best reads on balls. He made up for this with pure determination. I know that Anderson will come up short on a ball this season and people will say "Rowand would have had it", but that's because BA is so smooth. I have not seen him play in the minors, but he just plays the position so naturally, IMO. Rowand would be going 'balls' out on a ball that BA will make look relatively easy. I only hope that BA (along with Thome) can provide the spark they are losing in Rowand....

thomas35forever
02-25-2006, 11:57 PM
When the Sox were sliding in September last year, Gammons still believed the Sox were gonna win the division. He must be the only ESPN analyst that has even a little bit of respect for the Sox. Why would Kruk blow off a team he used to play for?