PDA

View Full Version : Will the sox ever get new uniforms?

comiskey2000
02-25-2006, 01:28 PM
This has been talked about before but I thought I'd reopen the discussion. The current uniforms (16 years old) are great. However the Sox have switched so many times, I was just wondering how long these will last. Frankly the uniforms of the mid-80's (the one that many have the jersey of) would be a good replacement. But again, the current uniforms are great.

IlliniSox4Life
02-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Why change the best uniforms in baseball?

TheOldRoman
02-25-2006, 01:39 PM
No.
We have a history of not just many different uniforms, but many different logos and color schemes. We have finally found one to stick with. I think they will wear these current uniforms for a long, long time.

Furhtermore, the mid 80s jerseys would be a HORRIBLE replacement. Many people have them (myself included), but not because they are great jerseys. They look nice with jeans, and we love them for the nostalgia. Seeing tapes of the 83 team, those jerseys were absolutely garrish. International laws should be created to ensure that they are never worn except once a year as throwbacks.

Erik The Red
02-25-2006, 01:40 PM
I don't want to see any change in the uniforms, unless it's to bring back the ones from the 1950s. Best uniforms ever, in my opinion.

BV2005
02-25-2006, 01:47 PM
why change a good thing

The Racehorse
02-25-2006, 01:48 PM
This has been talked about before but I thought I'd reopen the discussion. The current uniforms (16 years old) are great. However the Sox have switched so many times, I was just wondering how long these will last. Frankly the uniforms of the mid-80's (the one that many have the jersey of) would be a good replacement. But again, the current uniforms are great.

My eyes are just now recovering from the color scheme of those mid-80s style uni's. In fact, it's because of that very assault on all our visual senses that validate keeping the current style for an other 16 years or so. You're right, the current uniforms are great.

jdm2662
02-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Why change the uniforms? I said in 1990 when they released it, it's the best I've ever seen. Those SOX shirts across the shirt where hideous.

itsnotrequired
02-25-2006, 01:57 PM
You mean they are still using the same uniforms from last year? Wouldn't they be tattered?

:redneck

tick53
02-25-2006, 02:00 PM
The current uniforms are the best in baseball. I want to see them wear those unis for a long time. I don't want to see them change a thing. Even if
I was'nt a Sox fan, I'd still say they're the best. The 80's uniforms made
them look like a softball team. They're good for nostalgia but that's it. At the
time the club was trying to come up with something to make everyone forget
the ones Mary Francis Veeck designed. :cower:

JoeCrede4MVP06
02-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Frankly the uniforms of the mid-80's (the one that many have the jersey of) would be a good replacement.
No way. If any uniform would be an awful looking replacement, those mid-'80's uniforms are it. And why should the Sox change their uniforms anyway? The current uniforms are the best in the history of the team, and with last year's championship, there is a lot of history within these uniforms. I say the Sox should not change their uniforms. The organization should build a winning tradition, and keeping the same logo and color scheme is part of having an identity to begin with.

kevin57
02-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Keep the unis as is.

Chicken Dinner
02-25-2006, 02:21 PM
The only change I want to see is another World Series patch on the sleeve.

caulfield12
02-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Keep the unis as is.

i donīt know, the late 70īs jerseys (Lamar Johnson, Mike Squires era) with the collars and then the shorts should be reinstitued, lol

SweetnesSox
02-25-2006, 02:30 PM
The answer to your question, will they ever change the uniforms: The answer is yes.

ssirish317
02-25-2006, 03:29 PM
My favorate is easily the current uni's but I also have always liked the ones they wore previously from 1987-90.

Nellie_Fox
02-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Personally, I'm hoping that the Sox are done changing uniforms forever, and that many of the travesties they have worn (the mid-eighties softball uni with the propeller-beanie cap in particular) become faint, distant memories.

white sox bill
02-25-2006, 03:53 PM
I love current unis but...change would be good.

SaltyPretzel
02-25-2006, 04:14 PM
My favorate is easily the current uni's but I also have always liked the ones they wore previously from 1987-90.

The script is incorrect on the road uniform in the thumbnail. It wasn't the same as the current road uniform.

WSox597
02-25-2006, 04:21 PM
I've seen all of the uniforms since the '50s, and I say keep them the way they are. I like the current unforms the best, and someone above said, now they've won a Series wearing them.

Why mess with success?

robertks61
02-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Hopefully they will change at the end of the season. World Series '06 patch on them!

Brian26
02-25-2006, 05:06 PM

Actually, no, in this case change is not good. Baseball uniforms are symbolic of the team in more ways than one. In reality, when we root for the Sox or any other team for over the course of many years, we are really rooting for the uniform. Players come and go, but the team name and the uniform should remain constant. The Yankees and Dodgers have a classic look and style that hasn't been tinkered with for the last three generations. The Sox should remain the same. The uniforms (BOTH road and away) are perfect and should not be tinkered with at all. No red highlights, no color changes, nothing. Keep them forever. This is a way we can link our memories of the team together. I find it cool that you can say the this current uniform was worn not only by the 2005 World Series Champs, but also Robin Ventura, Carlton Fisk, Frank Thomas, ...even Jose Canseco...there's something great about establishing tradition and identity, and uniforms have a big part in that.

Professor
02-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Actually, no, in this case change is not good. Baseball uniforms are symbolic of the team in more ways than one. In reality, when we root for the Sox or any other team for over the course of many years, we are really rooting for the uniform. Players come and go, but the team name and the uniform should remain constant. The Yankees and Dodgers have a classic look and style that hasn't been tinkered with for the last three generations. The Sox should remain the same. The uniforms (BOTH road and away) are perfect and should not be tinkered with at all. No red highlights, no color changes, nothing. Keep them forever. This is a way we can link our memories of the team together. I find it cool that you can say the this current uniform was worn not only by the 2005 World Series Champs, but also Robin Ventura, Carlton Fisk, Frank Thomas, ...even Jose Canseco...there's something great about establishing tradition and identity, and uniforms have a big part in that.

Nice Seinfeld reference.

TornLabrum
02-25-2006, 05:22 PM
I was at the Turn Back the Clock game and enjoyed seeing the '59 uniforms again. I used to love them when I was a kid. That being said, looking at those next to the current uniform, I like this one better. There is no need to change the best uniform design in baseball.

Witness the New York Yankees, who made their last change in the mid-'30s sometime when they put the NY logo on it. I think the only other change since then has been color added at the bottom of the jersey sleeve. The Dodgers haven't changed since the late '30s or early '40s (at least their home uniforms). Wouldn't you say those teams have some of the best product recognition (just from that) of any MLB club?

chisoxfan64
02-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Change is always good.

Except this time.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-25-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm about as big a student of White Sox uniform history as you'll find, and even I don't think the Sox should change anything about the current uniforms. They're damned near perfect.

TornLabrum
02-25-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm about as big a student of White Sox uniform history as you'll find, and even I don't think the Sox should change anything about the current uniforms. They're damned near perfect.

The only thing they need to do to improve them is put numbers back on the pants.

JoeCrede4MVP06
02-25-2006, 06:15 PM
I've seen all of the uniforms since the '50s, and I say keep them the way they are. I like the current unforms the best, and someone above said, now they've won a Series wearing them.

Why mess with success?
Don't mess with success. Now's the time for the Sox organization to build a winning tradition that baseball fans everywhere can identify with, and the current logo and uniform is a great start.

pearso66
02-25-2006, 06:25 PM
If there was a uniform change, I would have it be for the Throwback uniform they wear on Sundays. Instead of having a whole year of 1 jersey, this year its the 1906 jersey, maybe every Sunday they should wear a different uniform from the past. Start with 1906, then 1919 or whatever year those were, all the way to the late 80's ones. That way every year we can be reminded of all the old uniforms the Sox had worn, but still keep the normal ones the same.

soxinem1
02-25-2006, 06:27 PM

No more major changes. If they want to change color schemes, like bringing back the 1950's type ones, sure, but the basics of the black pinstripes should remain forever!!!

CaptainBallz
02-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Bring back the Einhorn 'E'!!

Wsoxmike59
02-25-2006, 07:16 PM
I remember when the Sox switched to their current look at the end of the 1990 season that Reinsdorf said the Sox were not going to change uniforms for a LONG LONG TIME.

I whole heartedly agreed with him and applauded his decision to go back to the Go-Go Sox era logo. aka the "normal look".

I remember when the Sox switched from the softball style Winning Ugly uniforms of '82-'86 to the uniform they wore in '87-'90, I remember a good buddy of mine remarking "Why don't they just go back to the Old English S-O-X design??

I said to him, that's a great idea, look at the Braves and Athletics who went back to a "classic" look in '87 and how popular those designs were with their fans. I said if the Sox ever went back to their "classic" look, it would be a run away best seller with the fans!

I love the current Sox uniforms, (both home and road) and I even like the alternate tops (Black and the sleeveless vest look) Those are sharp too.

I hope they keep this uniform til the day I die.....and then some.

chisox77
02-25-2006, 08:02 PM
I love the current uniforms - color scheme, classic design, everything! Stick with them forever and ever - a championship was impressively won in these duds. I have always said that the White Sox, since the end of that fun 1990 season, wear the best uniforms in all of baseball. They respresent the best of how the Sox look and play (the same style, though with different color schemes, they had through the 1950s and 1960s, almost two decades of averaging 90 wins a season, with many of those seasons having 154 as opposed to 162 games).

KEEP THEM!!!DON'T MESS WITH SUCCESS!!!

LongLiveFisk
02-25-2006, 08:22 PM
I agree that the current uniforms should stay forever. The Yankees uniform stays the same. The Red Sox uniform stays the same. When a player becomes a White Sox, he needs to picture that silver and black on himself and be proud. That uniform must become a symbol of pride and identity, something this franchise did not have (in my humble opinion) for a long time.

Plus they look awesome. :D:

jehosaphat
02-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Frankly the uniforms of the mid-80's (the one that many have the jersey of) would be a good replacement.

I suppose fashion, like beauty and art, is truly in the eye of the beholder; your taste are not better or worse than mine. But, IMO the 80s uniforms look like a liscense plate slaped on all purpose jersy, not like a baseball uniform. The 80s uniforms are butt ugly. Now, kinda like that cheezy grade school picture, they are sort of charming in reterospect, but restrospect is the key word. If I'm not mistaken, Jane Byrne was partially responsible for selecting the mid-80s uniform from a selection of other choices that looked just as bad if not worse.

Fortunately for the White Sox, the Houston Astro uniforms of the same era (except they had them longer) easily go down in history as the ugliest uniforms of all time. Personally, other than something with pink flowers and cute animals (e.g., cubbie bears) on it, I don't think a designer could come up with a lamer uniform than the Astros' old orange nad yellow sunshine unis of the 80s.

The Sox should keep their current uniforms because they are winning at this point in time. I think a franchise should dump its uniform when they want to change their image and send the word out that they are starting over. The current uniform is equated with a championship and greatness, and my guess is the marketing folks of the Sox have no intention of changing things at this point in time.

oeo
02-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Don't ever change them, we may end up with a butt ugly uniform like the Padres. Blegh...what is that home plate logo even supposed to be?

Or something amateur like the Nationals...

soxfanatlanta
02-25-2006, 09:18 PM
I cannot imagine a better home uni. The Sox emblem just oozes class, and since they won the ring, their brand recognition is way up. It would take years to rebuild something like that. Good guys wear black!

ewokpelts
02-25-2006, 10:24 PM
When Gallas proposed the now-current uni in 1990, Uncle Jerry's biggest concern was changing the uniform again ina couple of years.....he told gallas he wanted a uniform that could last 15-20 years.......
which this one has....with SPECTACULAR results.....if i have a vote, you keep this uniform for A LONG TIME.....
Gene

Deebs14
02-25-2006, 10:27 PM
When Gallas proposed the now-current uni in 1990, Uncle Jerry's biggest concern was changing the uniform again ina couple of years.....he told gallas he wanted a uniform that could last 15-20 years.......
which this one has....with SPECTACULAR results.....if i have a vote, you keep this uniform for A LONG TIME.....
Gene

Agree 110% my man!

thomas35forever
02-25-2006, 10:41 PM
No. Never. Absolutely not. These are our Sox's permanent uniforms. If they change, the team will never look good again. They're here to stay!!!!!!!!!

RadioheadRocks
02-26-2006, 12:33 AM
Perish the thought!!!!!

Nellie_Fox
02-26-2006, 02:37 AM
...Plus they look awesome. :D:I'll even accept this use of the horribly overused and misused term "awesome." This uniform certainly inspires a mixture of fear and respect. I have a special place in my heart for the black and red of the fifties, but that is in the past. This uniform should stay. Forever.

white sox bill
02-26-2006, 09:52 AM
Since I seem to be one of the few that would welcome change..Don;t get me wrong, I like current design. I guess its like eating lobster. I love lobster, but if I ate it for 30 straight days, I'd be ready for steak, or chicken or shrimp. You get the idea.

But then again, its not up to me to ponder for too long.

mccoydp
02-26-2006, 10:05 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.:D:

ewokpelts
02-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Since I seem to be one of the few that would welcome change..Don;t get me wrong, I like current design. I guess its like eating lobster. I love lobster, but if I ate it for 30 straight days, I'd be ready for steak, or chicken or shrimp. You get the idea.

But then again, its not up to me to ponder for too long.that's WHY you have alternate jerseys, as well as the occasional throwback or special event(1/2 way to st. pats') jerseys.....
Gene

Hoffdaddydmb
02-26-2006, 01:12 PM
If perfection was a baseball jersey it would be our beloved pinstripe sox jersey. Expecially now that we won the World Series we need to keep them. Everytime from now till our dying day we'll see those black pinstripes and think of the '05 Sox. What could be sweeter than that?

scottyl
02-26-2006, 01:12 PM

Correct. DON'T CHANGE THE UNIFORMS. Stop talking about changing the uniforms, lest some marketing lackey starts to think he/she has a great idea and throws it all away. Once you win a championship in a uniform you should keep it unless there is a DARN good reason to do so.

chisoxfanatic
02-26-2006, 02:40 PM
What could be sweeter than that?

Having an equally impressive '06 season! :D:

Bucky F. Dent
02-26-2006, 03:13 PM
I pray that they are done changing uniforms for a long long time. We've got a hideous history of frequent and HORRIBLE changes. Lets stick with what we got....if they do anything (and I'm a little leary about suggesting this because it just gets the momentum going) they should on occassion wear the white uni's with red pinstripes like they had in the early seventies. Those are the uniforms I first saw the team play in, and I would not mind seeing them appear on occassion, and they pretty much stick to the style of the current uniforms.

chisoxfanatic
02-26-2006, 03:58 PM
I pray that they are done changing uniforms for a long long time. We've got a hideous history of frequent and HORRIBLE changes. Lets stick with what we got....if they do anything (and I'm a little leary about suggesting this because it just gets the momentum going) they should on occassion wear the white uni's with red pinstripes like they had in the early seventies. Those are the uniforms I first saw the team play in, and I would not mind seeing them appear on occassion, and they pretty much stick to the style of the current uniforms.

They should play in their throwback uniforms with shorts every Sunday! :redneck

IronFisk
02-26-2006, 04:12 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Violinski/thread-delivers.jpg

chisoxmike
02-26-2006, 04:15 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Violinski/thread-delivers.jpg

:rolling:

Hendu
02-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Now that the Sox are a much more stable franchise than in the 70's and 80's, and are re-gaining brand recognition after the World Series, it would be a huge mistake to even think about changing the uniform design.

mrs. hendu
02-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Why change the best uniforms in baseball?

I love this post. :D: And I agree with it. :gulp:

TommyJohn
02-26-2006, 08:05 PM
When I was young in the late '70's and '80's I looked at the awful uniforms
they paraded around in those years, the late '70's Mary Frances Veeck
duds, the early '80's bumper stickers, the late '80's scripts and felt a
nostalgic longing for the pinstripes with the old English SOX logo down
the jersey. "Why can't they go back to those? They were the best
uniforms they ever had!" First I wanted the red pinstripes, but developed
a better liking for the ones in the 50s and 60s. Now, they have gone back
that design, but not exactly the same colors. I am happy. I want them to
keep the uniforms for as long as they play baseball.

I do admit I have one "guilty pleasure" unifrom- the 1969-70 duds worn by
the 68-94 and 56-106 duds. I have a replica jersey of it. Still, it is a mere
relic of the past that should remain there. Not to mention the fact that
they were a ripoff of the Red Sox and Tiger designs. I mean, the Red Sox
win the pennant in 1967, the Tigers in 1968. In 1969 the White Sox trot
out with the same uniform style. Coincidence? But I still like it. Go figure.

alohafri
02-26-2006, 08:59 PM
i donīt know, the late 70īs jerseys (Lamar Johnson, Mike Squires era) with the collars and then the shorts should be reinstitued, lol

I'd love to see them break out the early 70's red pinstripes on occasion. But for a permanent uniform, the current ones are perfect!

Bobbo35
02-27-2006, 07:01 AM
I don't want to see any change in the uniforms, unless it's to bring back the ones from the 1950s. Best uniforms ever, in my opinion.

Ya, the uniforms I think are the best in the league. They design and color scheme go so well together. I say no change at all.

Bobbo35
02-27-2006, 07:03 AM
The only thing I did not like about those were the caps with the cursive C on it.

Hangar18
02-27-2006, 07:59 AM
Why does this keep coming up? NO SOX arent changing uniforms.
That said, the only thing id like to see is the home uniform going to 3 color scheme black numbers with gray and white trim, instead of just gray trim

IotaNet
02-27-2006, 08:55 AM
that's WHY you have alternate jerseys, as well as the occasional throwback or special event(1/2 way to st. pats') jerseys.....
Gene+1

Don't change.

Baby Fisk
02-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Personally, I'm hoping that the Sox are done changing uniforms forever, and that many of the travesties they have worn (the mid-eighties softball uni with the propeller-beanie cap in particular) become faint, distant memories.
Agreed. Nothing lasts forever, but the current uniforms can stay awhile. The Sox have decades' worth of wild uniforms that can be pulled out for fun on throwback days and that's fine, but there's no need to change the current unies.

34 Inch Stick
02-27-2006, 09:19 AM
The current uniform is a classic look that has been sported by some team for over 100 years.

I would not mind tinkering with a different look on Sundays but the current unis should be mainstays.

MeteorsSox4367
02-27-2006, 09:20 AM
The current uniforms are excellent. Although I believe it was 3 years ago when the Sox wore the 1951(?) road grays against Cleveland. They just had "Chicago" on the chest in basic black block letters. Damn, they were sweet.

As for once-a-year throwbacks, I wouldn't mind seeing the red pinstripes from the 70s. Those were the first uniforms I really remember as a youngin'.

As for caps, I see the Brewers are bringing back the old "MB" logo for Sunday games. Those are sharp.

my5thbench
02-27-2006, 09:21 AM
the current uni is the best in the game...the logo should never change nor should classic gray om the road & pinstripes at home...returning to the color scheme of the '50's would beacceptable but the look must never change.

how often do the Yankees change their uniforms & theirs are also classic?

we be jake
02-27-2006, 09:27 AM
The traditional look we have now is classic and timeless. I didn't like the red years much, but I always like to see the throwback game uni's.

Sox-on-TV44
02-27-2006, 09:41 AM
First of all,I love the Uniforms we got now.

But for those who want variety from the Sox uni's,here's a thought.

Have a classic "Throwback Sunday" during Sox sunday home games.Thus spotlighting different Sox uniforms over the years and decades (yes,even the late '70's "CHICAGO" jerseys!).

But whatever they do,they shouldn't change a thing.

Procol Harum
02-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Let's not tempt sartorial fate, people! Having to live w/ those mid-80s striped uniforms day-in and day-out would soon have you longing for the pinstripes! No changes necessary--the current uniforms are the bee's knees. The occassional throwback game is more than enough to satisfy our collective novelty jones.

LongLiveFisk
02-27-2006, 10:23 AM
how often do the Yankees change their uniforms & theirs are also classic?

This is my feeling...they've kept the classic "NY" logo on their jerseys for a long, long time and although you may tweak certain things (e.g. road logo--cursive letters or block letters), you do NOT change the logo itself.

VenturaSoxFan23
02-27-2006, 10:48 AM
These uniforms are much like the touring trophy, don't touch!

miker
02-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Can't change them -- I just received a World Series-patched home pinstripes for my birthday!:D:

ramblermgr9599
02-27-2006, 01:53 PM
I would just change the road uniforms. I liked the 59' road unis. Block lettering on the roads.

Stroker Ace
02-27-2006, 01:55 PM
The current uni's are great. Why fix what's not broken?

MILTMAY5
02-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Actually, no, in this case change is not good. Baseball uniforms are symbolic of the team in more ways than one. In reality, when we root for the Sox or any other team for over the course of many years, we are really rooting for the uniform. Players come and go, but the team name and the uniform should remain constant. The Yankees and Dodgers have a classic look and style that hasn't been tinkered with for the last three generations. The Sox should remain the same. The uniforms (BOTH road and away) are perfect and should not be tinkered with at all. No red highlights, no color changes, nothing. Keep them forever. This is a way we can link our memories of the team together. I find it cool that you can say the this current uniform was worn not only by the 2005 World Series Champs, but also Robin Ventura, Carlton Fisk, Frank Thomas, ...even Jose Canseco...there's something great about establishing tradition and identity, and uniforms have a big part in that.And there are thousands of Sox fans that feel exactly the same way!The only minor change I would like to see is adding the "white sock" patch that is on the road and black jersey sleeve to the home pinstripe jersey as well ( but that's it!!).

vegyrex
02-27-2006, 07:28 PM
The uniforms should never ever in a hundred billion years be changed. :smile:

MarkM2112
02-27-2006, 11:20 PM
And there are thousands of Sox fans that feel exactly the same way!The only minor change I would like to see is adding the "white sock" patch that is on the road and black jersey sleeve to the home pinstripe jersey as well ( but that's it!!).

Bingo! Then they will be perfect! :D:

Going back to the throwback jerseys, I would like to propose that the SOX wear the red pinstriped uniforms on, or as close to May 3rd as possible. Why? well, May 3rd happens to be Polish Constitution Day (A big holiday for Polish Americans here in Chicago. There is even a parade in Downtown Chicago for this occasion), and since the colors of the Polish Flag are White and Red, I think that it would be a perfect tie-in! (Similar to the halfway to St. Patrick's day promotional green uniforms)

MiamiSpartan
02-28-2006, 06:59 AM
Leave the uniforms as is. We finally have a great logo & color scheme. Don't screw with it!

fuzzy_patters
02-28-2006, 08:40 AM
Leave the uniforms as is. We finally have a great logo & color scheme. Don't screw with it!

Uniforms create name recognition. The Sox's uniforms are great, but they are also a symbol that people associate with the White Sox. Changing after 16 years and a Wold Series championship would erode that association. The Sox should stay true to the World Series memory.

Baby Fisk
02-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Almost immediately after winning the World Series twice, the Toronto Blue Jays began ****ing with their uniforms. They have had three different hats and uniform designs in a decade since winning the WS. Go to a Jays message board and you'll see thread after thread of fans HATING each new uniform change and wishing the Jays would go back to their classic, championship uniforms. The lesson here: don't mess with perfection.

http://www.retrothrowbacks.com/images/110_Baseball_-_1993_Joe_Carter_Toronto_Blue_Jays_Home_Jersey.jpg

Railsplitter
02-28-2006, 11:05 AM
This is the only regular uniform style the Sox have had since Comiskey II/ The Cell opened. Any other just doesn't cut with me.

Hangar18
02-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Almost immediately after winning the World Series twice, the Toronto Blue Jays began ****ing with their uniforms. They have had three different hats and uniform designs in a decade since winning the WS. Go to a Jays message board and you'll see thread after thread of fans HATING each new uniform change and wishing the Jays would go back to their classic, championship uniforms. The lesson here: don't mess with perfection.

http://www.retrothrowbacks.com/images/110_Baseball_-_1993_Joe_Carter_Toronto_Blue_Jays_Home_Jersey.jpg

It would be nice if they went back to something with BLUE in their uniforms ...........they are called the BLUE JAYS after all .......

DenverSock
02-28-2006, 11:57 AM

I know that I'm late to the discussion, but I love the present uniforms, expecially the home pinstripes.

:D::D:

NEPA SoxFan24
02-28-2006, 02:13 PM
I looked at the Okkonen guide a few weeks back, and the Sox have an incredible history of uniform changes. The uni now is BY FAR the longest lasting in club history (the 49-70 unis always git tweaked a little, especially the road uniforms (we are to blame for powder blue road uniforms :o: ). I first became a Sox fam with the early 80's unis, and my Einhorn E cap is probably my most precious posession (had it since 88), but the uni's now are too wonderful to change. These are the championship uniforms. All of our memories of 05 are now tied to these uniforms. Now is not the time to change the uniforms.
Should the day come when the uni's are to be changed, the only real change that I see would be bringing back red as a trim color. But that's just my opinion.

Matt

Dolly
02-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Baseball players/coaches/owners are notoriously superstitious. Will they ever change? Probably at some point. But not any time in the near future, especially after winning the World Series with the current ones. Plus, the sale of Sox merchandise dramatically increased when they changed to the current unis.

white sox bill
02-28-2006, 02:31 PM
I can see the marketability of the current unis...Black and Silver are good colors that match well. I read somewhere that green is a bad color for teams (sorry Packer fans, also remember the old Hardford Whalers?)

Anyway, I guess the bottom line for me is I'd have to see the new uni's to make the call. Who knows, maybe we'd like them better than current ones!:smile:

soxfan13
02-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Dont forget the beautiful design of the mid 80's including the 1983 year was the uniform that was designed by a fan and won versus a few other designs in a fan vote!!

russ99
02-28-2006, 03:42 PM
I looked at the Okkonen guide a few weeks back, and the Sox have an incredible history of uniform changes. The uni now is BY FAR the longest lasting in club history (the 49-70 unis always git tweaked a little, especially the road uniforms (we are to blame for powder blue road uniforms :o: ). I first became a Sox fam with the early 80's unis, and my Einhorn E cap is probably my most precious posession (had it since 88), but the uni's now are too wonderful to change. These are the championship uniforms. All of our memories of 05 are now tied to these uniforms. Now is not the time to change the uniforms.
Should the day come when the uni's are to be changed, the only real change that I see would be bringing back red as a trim color. But that's just my opinion.

Matt

I love the Okkanen book! I'm constantly going back to it. I wish they'd come out with a new edition incorporating all the uniforms after 1992? that they now have on the Hall of Fame website.

batmanZoSo
02-28-2006, 04:01 PM
These uniforms are classic, they'll never go out of fashion. And on top of that, we've established a winning tradition to be proud of while wearing them with the World Series. This could be a uniform associated with champions, especially if we end up seeing another Series or two in the coming years.

In general they're great, but I really don't like the sleeveless. It looks good to me on Cincy or Pittsburgh uniforms because they have a history with it. We don't have any that I'm aware of. The black is intimidating and another trend we started, so you keep that as your alternate. I don't think it's good to have too many uniforms.

But the S-O-X logo and the black should always remain.

billcissell
02-28-2006, 04:16 PM
After years of fooling around with styles and colors, the Sox finally got it right when they came out with the current look. It's understated and timeless, a nice reminder of the uniforms worn in the 50s. Look back at some of the uniforms the Sox wore. The pajamas from Veeck in the mid to late 70s - it made the Sox the laughingstock of the league. Those awful, ugly softball jerseys from the early 80s, ugh! Even the uniforms before the currrent style sucked.

I like the throwback idea on Sundays so fans could be reminded of what the uniforms once looked like. But definitely keep the current look, it's a real winner in more ways than one.

ComiskeyBrewer
02-28-2006, 10:43 PM
The Sox won a world championship with this jersey. That is what I will remember when I see it. Why change it? I say keep every reminder they have of this championship with the Sox.

ComiskeyBrewer
02-28-2006, 10:46 PM
I can see the marketability of the current unis...Black and Silver are good colors that match well. I read somewhere that green is a bad color for teams (sorry Packer fans, also remember the old Hardford Whalers?)

Anyway, I guess the bottom line for me is I'd have to see the new uni's to make the call. Who knows, maybe we'd like them better than current ones!:smile:

Outside of the Packers, nobody should wear Green on jerseys. The only reason i think we can get away with it, is because the town is named Green Bay(and the History with that color scheme/design).