PDA

View Full Version : Bucky Jacobsen signs with Sox

lumpyspun
02-25-2006, 11:06 AM
I didn't see this reported in any of the Chicago newspapers...but this dude was a star for 15 minutes out here in Seattle...

He was a Mariners folk hero and then a Mariners discard, and now he's a member of the White Sox organization.
Bucky Jacobsen, who made an indelible impact in his brief Seattle tenure, on Friday signed a minor-league contract with Chicago. His agent, Joe Speed, said Jacobsen will report to the White Sox minor-league camp in Tucson, Ariz., on March 6.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002827587_stonenotes25.html

NonetheLoaiza
02-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Bucky Jacobson. Man, he killed with the Mariners, from what I remember. He was like a 27 or 28 year old rookie though, wasn't he?

rookieroy
02-25-2006, 11:43 AM
He was with the Seattle Mariners in the second half of 2004. I only know this because I picked him up in my fantasy league and he helped my numbers quite a bit. Big guy 6' 4", first base and DH. He played pretty well for a long time minor league journeyman. I believe he blew out his knee at the end of 2004 and that was that.

kninchicago
02-25-2006, 11:48 AM
"His girth and outgoing personality make him an instant fan favorite."

Yup, we love 'em chunky.

zmz723
02-25-2006, 11:50 AM
will he be a backup or start in AAA or even AA

OfficerKark
02-25-2006, 12:00 PM
man, you gotta feel sorry for jim thome. thome arrives at spring training expecting to be the everyday starter as a DH, then along comes bucky and changes everything. they gotta find a spot for this guy!

santo=dorf
02-25-2006, 12:04 PM
man, you gotta feel sorry for jim thome. thome arrives at spring training expecting to be the everyday starter as a DH, then along comes bucky and changes everything. they gotta find a spot for this guy!
Please :rolleyes:

Jacobsen will probably compete with Ross Gload. Thome is the DH (and part time first baseman) of this team.

GoSox2K3
02-25-2006, 12:06 PM

:tealpolice:

The Racehorse
02-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Chunky Bucky will be lucky to cracky the line-up on the biggy club anytime soon.

goofymsfan
02-25-2006, 12:24 PM
While I like Bucky and think he's a good guy, I don't see him ever making it back to the Majors. There is no doubt that he can hit a fast ball (or was able to before he lost his timing while he was injuried) but he was almost always fooled on the offspeed pitches. I've watched him both at AAA and in the bigs. Last year was painful to watch him play at Tacoma after coming back from injury. He was lost at the plate and couldn't run at all.

I wish him the best, but most likely he'll either be cut or at best be a minor leaguer.

caulfield12
02-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Please :rolleyes:

Jacobsen will probably compete with Ross Gload. Thome is the DH (and part time first baseman) of this team.

The White Sox have more than enough infielders with Ozuna and Mackowiak.

Mackowiak can obviously play the OF (albeit not great) as well.

That leaves the only question the battle between Borchard, Grieve and Gload for that last OF spot. Jacobsen now becomes another possibility, although the least likely because he cannot play the OF.

Gload still has to prove his arm and shoulder are healthy enough to get the job done.

Owens could figure in with an incredible ST, but I doubt it.

HebrewHammer
02-25-2006, 01:25 PM
:hawk
"Where's he gonna play?"

Only a guy named Bucky has an agent named Joe Speed. This transaction makes my day for the names involved alone.

itsnotrequired
02-25-2006, 01:36 PM
:hawk
"Where's he gonna play?"

Only a guy named Bucky has an agent named Joe Speed. This transaction makes my day for the names involved alone.

No doubt. Makes you wonder if its even a real story.:redneck

tick53
02-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Bucky won't even make a dent :rolling: . Get It? Make a DENT.

The Racehorse
02-25-2006, 02:37 PM
Bucky won't even make a dent :rolling: . Get It? Make a DENT.

:) :thud: :)

soxinem1
02-26-2006, 04:36 PM
While I like Bucky and think he's a good guy, I don't see him ever making it back to the Majors. There is no doubt that he can hit a fast ball (or was able to before he lost his timing while he was injuried) but he was almost always fooled on the offspeed pitches. I've watched him both at AAA and in the bigs. Last year was painful to watch him play at Tacoma after coming back from injury. He was lost at the plate and couldn't run at all.

I wish him the best, but most likely he'll either be cut or at best be a minor leaguer.

I love this guy! He is the ultimate player to root for. He even has a name that sounds like a baseball legend in the mold of Crash Davis.

Then there is this this scenario: Bucky Jacobsen and Bobby Jenks, the B&B Boys. Or the Brunch Brothers!!

And by the way, we had Jose valentin for five years hitting usually clueless against off-speed pitches unless they were hanging (and he was hitting lefty).

In all honesty, I wish the Royals would have picked him up and put him in the line up and leave him there. He might be the next Dave Kingman, with a better personality.

rdivaldi
02-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Jeez. You put this guy, Jenks, Thome, and Rogowski in football uni's, you'd think they were a d'line.