PDA

View Full Version : Just another car salesman

duke of dorwood
01-10-2002, 09:10 AM
A prominent member of Congress and two Minnesota Congressional representatives called for the resignation of baseball Commissioner Bud Selig on Wednesday, while Selig for the first time offered his explanation of a 1995 loan from Twins owner Carl Pohlad.

Michigan Congressman John Conyers Jr., the ranking Democratic member of the House Judiciary Committee, said Selig should resign because he is in "apparent violation of the rules of Major League Baseball" and has failed to act in the best interests of the game. Conyers sent a letter to Selig in the wake of reports that Selig, as owner of the Milwaukee Brewers, accepted a $3 million loan from a company affiliated with Twins owner Carl Pohlad.

Selig responded with a letter to Conyers calling conflict of interest charges "preposterous," saying the possibility of such a loan had been previously discussed by baseball owners.

Two Minnesota members of Congress, Rep. Betty McCollum and Rep. Bill Luther, supported Conyers' stance, while several major league owners defended Selig.

Conyers and Selig made their letters public. Conyers wrote: "Your job as Commissioner is to do what is in the best interest of baseball. As I review the interests of baseball's fans and the local communities ... it is clear to me that it is in the best interest of baseball for you to tender your resignation."

voodoochile
01-10-2002, 10:44 AM
The owners are in deep doo-doo if they think they can keep lying to congress, breaking federal laws and ignoring their own by-laws. If this keeps up there is going to be an official investigation by congress deep into the relationships by the owners. My guess is shortly thereafter the anti-trust exemption will be revoked. Stupid is as stupid does...

Maybe in this case it would be better to say:

"Arrogant is as arrogant does."

foulkesfan11
01-10-2002, 05:52 PM
So, is this really the last year for the Twins?

Hello Sir.

:keith

Daver
01-10-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
So, is this really the last year for the Twins?

I'd be willing to put money on the Twins playing next year.

But then again what the hell do I know?