PDA

View Full Version : USA Today: How Well Do You Know Ozzie?

SoLongFrank
02-24-2006, 02:56 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/whitesox/2006-02-23-guillen-cover_x.htm
One of the best columns I've read in a long time. Hiring Ozzie was the best decision this organization has ever made. He is quickly becoming the face of Major League Baseball & lifting the White Sox up to that pedastool with him.

At the end of this season if they ask which manager was written about more than any other it's going to be Ozzie. If the team is winning like it's expected to do Ozzie will get more national coverage than any player. Not just on this team but in the entire league. The nation loves his candor & the fact he is quick to apologize when he does step out of bounds only makes them love him more.

Even if you think he's an SOB at times how can you not want to hug the guy when you read about him visiting Urbina 4 times? Then to hear about
his relationship with A-Rod. Priceless.

It may still be a cub town but Ozzie is rapidly changing that. Do you think the White Sox will have a hard time luring free agents in the future? They'll be beating the door down to get a chance to play for the great & powerful Oz.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/arvia/x24-ard1.htm
Guillen's style:unflinching honesty, a stand-up's timing and understanding.
He's been in the trenches of major league play.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-nws-soxtix24.html
What Guillen does is he puts the White Sox in the minds of everyday people everyday. The fact that he made the White Sox World Champions while doing that has skyrocketed the appeal of the franchise.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/moore/260717_moore24.html
A major leaguer takes a legal steroid designed for horses? It's true!

Lastly, how well do you know Barry Bonds?
http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=34056
That was a pretty nice thing to do for guys who are now 20 yrs younger than him.

Baby Fisk
02-24-2006, 03:02 PM
I love Ozzie, but at the risk of being Homefishy, keep this in mind: if the Sox crash and burn in 2006, Ozzie will be branded as a distraction, a loose cannon, a troublemaker, flash in the pan, etc etc. There was a parody of that when the Sox went into their brief skid last August/September.

"Pedastool"? Mercy... :cool:

SOXPHILE
02-24-2006, 03:40 PM
I love Ozzie, but at the risk of being Homefishy, keep this in mind: if the Sox crash and burn in 2006, Ozzie will be branded as a distraction, a loose cannon, a troublemaker, flash in the pan, etc etc. There was a parody of that when the Sox went into their brief skid last August/September.

You are correct. Look at some past examples: When the Bulls were winning 6 Championships in 8 years, Phil Jackson was looked at as some zen-genius. But, now that he's not in Chicago anymore, many people look at him as an odd, odd, arrogant man, who has always been blessed with having some of the best ever NBA talent on his rosters. Also, when the Bears were good in the 80's, winning the Super Bowl in the 1985-86 season, and making numerous playoff appearances in other years, Ditka was a god in Chicago. Now, he's a cartoon character of himself. He was canned after 2 bad seasons in New Orleans, and while he still has a strange, cult status among some here, he's also openly mocked by others. As always, winning solves almost anything.

caulfield12
02-24-2006, 03:47 PM

Yeah, a little of the same comments in terms of Manuel and Torborg, although they didnt have the same amount of success as those names mentioned...that they were good with young players, but that they didn´t have it (whatever that is) to get the Sox to the next level.

Manuel was Manager of the Year in 2000 and many saw no warning signs of what was still yet to come. I really cannot believe, looking back in retrospect, that we ALMOST hired Cito Gaston instead of OG, wow, that would have had disaster written all over it.

The Racehorse
02-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Guillen's heaven is sitting in his boat on blue water with a Scotch in hand, and his version of hell is "listening to sports-talk radio" in Chicago.

While I don't listen to Chicago sports-talk radio, this cracks me up. :D:

McCuddy
02-24-2006, 04:52 PM
I had read the quote as hell is... "listening to morning radio in Chicago."

As a radio guy - I thought that was truly priceless!

itsnotrequired
02-24-2006, 11:22 PM
I was in New Mexico on business this morning and opened my door to find the smae ol' USA Today tat you get at many hotels. This edition actually had something worth reading! My breakfast was for more enjoyable reading about the Sox than thinking of the crappy project I am working on...

TheVulture
02-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Hiring Ozzie was the best decision this organization has ever made.

Wrong! :talktothehand:

Hiring Ozzie was the best decision KW ever made. Hiring KW was the best decision the organization ever made.

The Critic
02-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Ozzie and Kenny have a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeal long grace period from me now.
They helped give me what I never really thought I'd see.

Nellie_Fox
02-26-2006, 03:43 AM
pedastool ***???:rolleyes:

gobears1987
02-26-2006, 10:58 AM
You are correct. Look at some past examples: When the Bulls were winning 6 Championships in 8 years, Phil Jackson was looked at as some zen-genius. But, now that he's not in Chicago anymore, many people look at him as an odd, odd, arrogant man, who has always been blessed with having some of the best ever NBA talent on his rosters. Also, when the Bears were good in the 80's, winning the Super Bowl in the 1985-86 season, and making numerous playoff appearances in other years, Ditka was a god in Chicago. Now, he's a cartoon character of himself. He was canned after 2 bad seasons in New Orleans, and while he still has a strange, cult status among some here, he's also openly mocked by others. As always, winning solves almost anything.Ditka was a God in the city. The reason the Bears didn't repeat is that the ******* McCaskey broke up that team. Not to mention that the reason 1986 fell through was that McMahon was injured in that cheap shot. If McMahon hadn't been traded because he didn't kiss McCaskey's ass, the Bears could've had a dynasty.

Beer Can Chicken
02-26-2006, 11:02 AM

Totally. The media builds someone up only to tear them down.

tlebar318
02-26-2006, 05:46 PM
***???:rolleyes:

A pedastool is a stool with pedals right?:D:

TornLabrum
02-26-2006, 05:54 PM
A pedastool is a stool with pedals right?:D:
"Ped" refers to the feet, right? So a pedastool is simply a footstool.

SOXSINCE'70
02-26-2006, 06:03 PM
While I don't listen to Chicago sports-talk radio. :D:

Neither do I.Thank God for Sirius!!Once you've listened to
satellite radio,commercial laden boring radio will pale by comparison.

Rooney4Prez56
02-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Wrong! :talktothehand:

Hiring Ozzie was the best decision KW ever made. Hiring KW was the best decision the organization ever made.

Well said.