PDA

View Full Version : Everett Speaks!

maurice
02-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Always a fun read (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/moore/260529_moore23.html). Here's his latest on Gammons:
Peter Gammons sucks. He hears something and then throws it out there, and some of it is true, so it makes him sound like a genius. But he knows nothing. He knows nothing unless somebody tells him something. That's it. Peter talks because Peter can't write. Have you seen him in the clubhouse? I guarantee the guy's gonna say something about the Seattle Mariners. How can you believe what a guy says who's not here? Ninety-nine percent of things that are written about us are not seen. I take it as it goes. They (writers) never get it right.
:gulp:

Ol' No. 2
02-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Does Peter Gammons even exist? I don't recall him being mentioned in the Bible.:tongue:

The Dude
02-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Always a fun read (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/moore/260529_moore23.html). Here's his latest on Gammons:

:gulp:
Crazy carl, as much as I dont like Gammons....you just sound like a jackass!

Also, I wouldnt say 'someone doesnt know anything unless someone tells him' with your famous and inspiring quotes. Oh thats right, you dont need to be told things because you know everything about life and history because it's in the bible!:redneck

DaleJRFan
02-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Does Peter Gammons even exist? I don't recall him being mentioned in the Bible.:tongue:

That depends on who you ask. If you were to ask someone at ESPN, they would insist he was in the bible.

NoNeckEra
02-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Crazy carl, as much as I dont like Gammons....you just sound like a jackass!

Also, I wouldnt say 'someone doesnt know anything unless someone tells him' with your famous and inspiring quotes. Oh thats right, you dont need to be told things because you know everything about life and history because it's in the bible!:redneck
I'm not a fan of Carl's, on or off the field. And this article proves he's really OUT there. But he did rip Wrigley Field as the worst park in the majors, so he can't be all that bad.

Dan Mega
02-24-2006, 02:18 PM
http://www.dltk-teach.com/books/stoothfairy.gif
"If there is one thing I don't believe in, its Carl Everett"

Chisox003
02-24-2006, 02:23 PM
I'm gonna miss Crazy

Of course there's always a chance he'll be back here come July .... teal?

Ol' No. 2
02-24-2006, 02:25 PM
That depends on who you ask. If you were to ask someone at ESPN, they would insist he was in the bible.Some think he IS the Bible.:rolleyes:

Madvora
02-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Here's another one about Everett. Somebody posted this on the Mariners board.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5350196

goofymsfan
02-24-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm gonna miss Crazy

Of course there's always a chance he'll be back here come July .... teal?

Change it to Pink and you can have him now.

TheOldRoman
02-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Everett understands the difficulties of the game, yet still believes Tiger Woods is not an athlete because golf is a skill, not a sport -- no one is disrupting you and you're not playing against another person.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

flo-B-flo
02-24-2006, 03:40 PM
They're playing match play this week. That is man against man. I don't agree with Carl. But, thank him for his role last season. 99% of fans don't know what they're watching? Maybe c-- fans.

maurice
02-24-2006, 07:22 PM
I think he means that there is no defense in golf.

DickAllen72
02-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Carl is a good man. Plus, he helped us win a World Series.

JohnBasedowYoda
02-24-2006, 07:55 PM

And I've never seen him in real life....hmmmmm.

Thanks Carl for being Carl.

SouthSide_HitMen
02-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Carl is a good man. Plus, he helped us win a World Series.

I concur and agree with most of what he says - more so than Gammons, the Windsock or any other media member covering him.

He played well last year, was a good teammate and I am glad he help win the World Series and will get a ring sometime this season.

I hope he does well this year and is able to play as long as he wants. Same with Frank Thomas, Mags, Lee and everyone else who left over the past few seasons. Even Willie, Timo and the Duke (el Duque).

JB98
02-24-2006, 10:17 PM
I always enjoy reading Carl's comments in the press. You just never know what's going to come out of his mouth. It's refreshing that he doesn't just spew the normal bland garbage.

Count me in the group that likes Carl.

1951Campbell
02-24-2006, 11:10 PM
I always enjoy reading Carl's comments in the press. You just never know what's going to come out of his mouth. It's refreshing that he doesn't just spew the normal bland garbage.

Let's set Carl's theological and political views aside.

Now, here's a guy who:

1. Was a consummate teammate

2. Was always sticking up for folks (remember him yelling at Garner?)

3. Was villified--dirty, mean stuff--by the Boston press after being hailed as a conquering hero for half a season

4. Was, in my opinion, wrongly accused of head-butting an ump

5. Helped the Sox out during more than one tour of duty

6. And...was unguarded and honest enough to make all those classic comments after the World Series.

He is by no means perfect. He was by no means indispensible to the Sox. But he's a gamer and I'll always look upon his time with the Sox fondly. In a way, he was AJ before AJ showed up.

I like Carl too.

TDog
02-27-2006, 05:04 PM
They're playing match play this week. That is man against man. I don't agree with Carl. But, thank him for his role last season. 99% of fans don't know what they're watching? Maybe c-- fans.

Golf isn't a sport. It's an activity.

Realist
02-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Golf isn't a sport. It's an activity.

It's "fetch" without a dog.

Carl Everett, like every member of the 2005 Chicago White Sox, will get a standing ovation from me for their first at bat of the game no matter what team they play for.

Keep flappin' at the jaw, Carl. I love it! This thread makes me miss Carl all the more. :(:

MarySwiss
02-27-2006, 05:45 PM

Sign me up. He was a solid contributor. I wish him well. :cool:

palehozenychicty
02-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Sign me up. He was a solid contributor. I wish him well. :cool:

I concur. Crazy Carl is hilarious.

skottyj242
03-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Carl Everett likes the Flintsones.

Baby Fisk
03-01-2006, 01:04 PM
I hope he writes a book...

Shut Yo' Damn Mouths: I'm Talkin' Now, by Carl Everett. :bandance:

RadioheadRocks
03-02-2006, 12:11 AM
I'm another Carl backer. Gotta love his featured quote on the World Series DVD at the end of Game 4: "Counted out all year... all of them can just shut up now... shut your mouth!!!" :supernana:

areilly
03-02-2006, 11:45 AM

Not only is that my favorite Carl Everett memory, that's one of my favorites in a long list of Sox memories. That slicing motion across his throat and barking at Garner - classic stuff. Kind of summed up last year's team pretty nicely for me.

Hangar18
03-02-2006, 11:55 AM
someone introduced Carl Everett and I, and said "Carl, this guy hates the Media even more than you" ....to which he looked at me and said "Oh Yeah??"

EastCoastSoxFan
03-03-2006, 10:04 AM
It may be too late, but someone should tell Crazy Carl that there are some (few) who believe that the references to "behemoth" and "leviathan" in the book of Job are indirect references to dinosaurs...

Sargeant79
03-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Let's set Carl's theological and political views aside.

Now, here's a guy who:

1. Was a consummate teammate

3. Was villified--dirty, mean stuff--by the Boston press after being hailed as a conquering hero for half a season

4. Was, in my opinion, wrongly accused of head-butting an ump

5. Helped the Sox out during more than one tour of duty

6. And...was unguarded and honest enough to make all those classic comments after the World Series.

He is by no means perfect. He was by no means indispensible to the Sox. But he's a gamer and I'll always look upon his time with the Sox fondly. In a way, he was AJ before AJ showed up.

I like Carl too.

Amen. I'm going to miss Carl as well. His first game back in town is Wednesday May 3rd and I'll be there giving him a standing O when he comes to bat.

jlim
03-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Not only is that my favorite Carl Everett memory, that's one of my favorites in a long list of Sox memories. That slicing motion across his throat and barking at Garner - classic stuff. Kind of summed up last year's team pretty nicely for me.

What happened with Garner and Carl? I missed it.

HomeFish
03-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Carl Everett was nothing but a class act during his time in a White Sox uniform. There might be a lot of Everett haters out there, but not me.

Far worse things have been said about Gammons by posters on this board.

RadioheadRocks
03-05-2006, 05:00 PM
What happened with Garner and Carl? I missed it.

You'll get to see it during Game #3 of the World Series when the DVD box set comes out. Long story short, when Crede came to bat for the second time in the 5th inning (after leading off the inning with a home run), Oswalt drilled Crede with a pitch. The Sox bench naturally was pissed, but Garner opened his big fresh mouth (basically telling the Sox bench to "kwitcherbitchen"), then Carl went ballistic on Garner's ass (verbally, that is!).

Too bad they didn't include it in the highlight DVD, but it'll be there in all its glory on the box set on the 28th!!! :D:

lumpyspun
03-06-2006, 12:19 AM
I went to the Mariners team store today and tried to pick up an Everett jersey t-shirt...but, to my shock they didn't have them made yet! I asked the dude what the deal was and he said that Carl hasn't picked a number yet so they can't make them.
I thought for sure he was going to tell me that they aren't making them b/c Everett is a cancer in the clubhouse and the Mariners don't need a guy like him around.

Infallible
03-06-2006, 05:31 PM
I like Carl, at least he's not a phony.

Jurr
03-07-2006, 07:45 PM
I really don't like Gammons...but all Peter would have to say is "Yo, Carl....let's take a trip to Cooperstown and look at my raisiny turtle face on the wall....maybe one day you'll get there, too....ahhh..probably not."

goon
03-07-2006, 08:04 PM
I really don't like Gammons...but all Peter would have to say is "Yo, Carl....let's take a trip to Cooperstown and look at my raisiny turtle face on the wall....maybe one day you'll get there, too....ahhh..probably not."

at least he actually played professional baseball...i believe that stands for something.

Chisox003
03-07-2006, 08:08 PM
at least he actually played professional baseball...i believe that stands for something.
Goon, that sig is hilarious. :gulp:

BTW, :welcome:

goon
03-07-2006, 08:15 PM
:cheers:

twentywontowin
03-08-2006, 01:04 AM
You'll get to see it during Game #3 of the World Series when the DVD box set comes out. Long story short, when Crede came to bat for the second time in the 5th inning (after leading off the inning with a home run), Oswalt drilled Crede with a pitch. The Sox bench naturally was pissed, but Garner opened his big fresh mouth (basically telling the Sox bench to "kwitcherbitchen"), then Carl went ballistic on Garner's ass (verbally, that is!).

Too bad they didn't include it in the highlight DVD, but it'll be there in all its glory on the box set on the 28th!!! :D:

That is easily one of my favorite White Sox moments of all-time. He showed really how deep this team supported each other. I can't wait to see it again on the DVD.

And on top of it, I still think he has one of the best home run swings in the game. I will honestly miss Carl.

Craig Grebeck
03-08-2006, 10:50 AM

true, but he is on the $20 bill

delben91
03-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Everett speaks again. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060309&content_id=1342595&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

This time chastising KW over breaking up the 2005 squad. I don't want to say ripping, but that conversation in the parking lot mentioned in the article makes you wonder.

NSSoxFan
03-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Everett speaks again. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060309&content_id=1342595&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

This time chastising KW over breaking up the 2005 squad. I don't want to say ripping, but that conversation in the parking lot mentioned in the article makes you wonder.

Meh. I respect Carl for what he did with the White Sox, but I think he forgets who really runs the clubhouse. Chemistry or no chemistry, championships can be won.

itsnotrequired
03-10-2006, 08:18 AM

Covered in the Tribune this morning as well.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0603100211mar10,1,2476556.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

SOXSINCE'70
03-10-2006, 08:30 AM
That depends on who you ask. If you were to ask someone at ESPN, they would insist he was in the bible.

No,they'd insist he wrote the bible. :rolleyes:

Hitmen77
03-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Covered in the Tribune this morning as well.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0603100211mar10,1,2476556.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

I really find it hard to believe that Frank Thomas and Willie Harris were clubhouse leaders like Carl suggests. Those guys weren't even there (injury or minors) for alot of '05.

I also disagree with the notion that the Sox made "massive" changes to their lineup. 7 of 9 position players and 4 of 5 starting pitchers are returning.

itsnotrequired
03-10-2006, 08:48 AM
I also disagree with the notion that the Sox made "massive" changes to their lineup.

Are you crazy? The Sox are on the same level as the Marlins in terms of re-tooling the team!

This is more or less "Everett being Everett". As Kenny even said, there is a reason he traded for him twice. He's a fine player but just didn't fit in with the 2006 team (at least not for $5 million). Time for Everett to let it go...

mccoydp
03-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Oh sure, Carl, the re-tooling is so much more extensive than last year. We all know how the Sox fared last year, right?

Please shut up.

chaerulez
03-10-2006, 09:39 AM
He sounds bitter for being let go. Carl, if you could hit for average and maybe field a little better you'd still be with us. Don't blame KW for your shortcomings as a player.

maurice
03-10-2006, 03:34 PM
KW continues his tendency to get into stupid and irrelevant verbal battles with former players:
After making those comments in response to Everett, however, a heated Williams then confronted Everett in the parking lot after the game. The two talked for several minutes, but it didn't do much to alter Everett's feelings. "Nothing has changed,'' Everett said. "There are no problems. Interpret it how you want to interpret it.''
:rolleyes:
IIRC, he didn't get this involved in the Ordonez fiasco, and Ordonez' comments were far worse and more personal than anything Thomas or Everett said. Just chill out and enjoy your championship ring and new-found lack of payroll restrictions, Kenny. These guys don't play for you any more, and they're entitled to their (irrelevant) opinions.

As for the opinions themselves, Everett said:
You don't have any voices in there to say, "Hey, let's get this going." Thome is a nice guy, but I think early, Thome will be feeling around first.
I hope he's wrong about the lack of leadership, but he's right that it's hard to come into a new organization and immediately be a vocal leader without "feeling around first."

He then backed off a bit and said:
It's a great squad, but it will surprise you who will be the voice in that clubhouse that nobody expected. A.J. [Pierzynski] will be the voice. People won't think about that, but he will be the voice.
I agree that AJ will be a vocal leader. He's involved with both the pitching staff and the position players. He gelled great with both groups last year, loves to talk, and has a year with the team under his belt.
[Konerko] is not vocal....That captain stuff is overrated. I would never pick one guy as a captain. I wouldn't want that pressure on me. I wouldn't want to wear the 'C' on my shoulder. I mean, you see guys are wearing that thing reluctantly. That should stay in hockey.
I agree, and so does Konerko. Ozzie had to twist his arm.
This is an individual game that's played in a team concept. I'm not going to knock them totally. They are going to have some work to do because of the newness. You have [six] new guys. Guys are going to have to learn each other—that's what's spring training is for. Guys won last year, and they should know what it takes.
I agree.
You know, I could say a lot of stuff about all the moves he has made. But why waste the time? I mean, I'm over here [with Seattle]. The only thing I frowned upon was the thing with him and Frank. It was bad for both of them. Neither one of them will come out good on it. A lot of times a GM doesn't see the player's perspective. I see Frank's perspective if I've been there 16 years. If it was me, I would want more than throwing out the first pitch or holding the trophy. I would want more. That's me as a player. On this end, I don't know the gist of all of it. But from looking on the television and hearing the stuff, I'm on Frank's side because I'm a player.
This is pretty much what I've posted. As a fan or GM of the Sox, it's easy to disagree with Thomas, because you don't have his perspective as a player. KW and Sox fans are still aligned with the Sox. Thomas and Everett are not. KW decided to cut both of them loose. Even if the decisions were objectively correct, it's not fair to expect players to react objectively when the situation affects them in extremely subjective ways.
Being me and being honest, I'm going to say no, they can't repeat.
I think that this is worded too strongly but, even as a totally biased Sox fan, I don't believe that the Sox are likely to repeat. That is, I think they have less than a 50% chance of repeating. I see them as the favorites to win the WS, but there are too many variables for me to say that it's probable.
If you look at the last six world championships, it hasn't been the most talented team. It's the team that plays together. So they know each other, they sacrifice themselves for the other player. You separated a lot of that. You can't win games on paper.
I'm not a big proponent of "chemistry," but Everett's opinion is based on his extensive experience as a MLB player and a member of the Sox clubhouse. We should at least respect it, because none of us can remotely match his insight in this area.
Everett insinuated the Sox simply should have fine-tuned the roster instead of making massive changes....
That's a valid opinion. I hope he's wrong.

DickAllen72
03-10-2006, 07:42 PM

I hope he's wrong about the lack of leadership, but he's right that it's hard to come into a new organization and immediately be a vocal leader without "feeling around first."

I agree that AJ will be a vocal leader. He's involved with both the pitching staff and the position players. He gelled great with both groups last year, loves to talk, and has a year with the team under his belt.

I agree.

This is pretty much what I've posted. As a fan or GM of the Sox, it's easy to disagree with Thomas, because you don't have his perspective as a player. KW and Sox fans are still aligned with the Sox. Thomas and Everett are not. KW decided to cut both of them loose. Even if the decisions were objectively correct, it's not fair to expect players to react objectively when the situation affects them in extremely subjective ways.

I think that this is worded too strongly but, even as a totally biased Sox fan, I don't believe that the Sox are likely to repeat. That is, I think they have less than a 50% chance of repeating. I see them as the favorites to win the WS, but there are too many variables for me to say that it's probable.

I'm not a big proponent of "chemistry," but Everett's opinion is based on his extensive experience as a MLB player and a member of the Sox clubhouse. We should at least respect it, because none of us can remotely match his insight in this area.

Great post. Couldn't have said it better. :smile:

Taliesinrk
03-11-2006, 06:28 PM
KW continues his tendency to get into stupid and irrelevant verbal battles with former players:

:rolleyes:
IIRC, he didn't get this involved in the Ordonez fiasco, and Ordonez' comments were far worse and more personal than anything Thomas or Everett said. Just chill out and enjoy your championship ring and new-found lack of payroll restrictions, Kenny. These guys don't play for you any more, and they're entitled to their (irrelevant) opinions.

I agree.

Yes... extremely well put IMHO..

TornLabrum
03-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Yes... extremely well put IMHO..

If Carl Everett speaks at Mariners Camp, and a dinosaur hears him, does he make a sound?

Taliesinrk
03-12-2006, 01:23 AM
If Carl Everett speaks at Mariners Camp, and a dinosaur hears him, does he make a sound?

That is not the question my friend.. The question is if he speaks and a dinosaur hears him, will KW continue to argue with former players?