PDA

View Full Version : Sox on TV in Central IN

Greg1983
02-24-2006, 10:49 AM
I'm not sure how many Sox fans have this problem, but if *anyone* can advise me I'd really appreciate it.

I live in Indianapolis (aka Nap-Town, aka Hell-Hole) and can only see the Sox when they're on WGN or ESPN. Even the local Fox affiliate often doesn't carry the Saturday afternoon games. This isn't much of a baseball town, and to the extent that it is, it's a Reds/Cubs town.

Comcast is the local cable provider, but CSN is not available here. Ditto WCIU.

I'd really like to subscribe to MLBTV over the Internet, but we're in the blackout area for Chicago. It's like I'm screwed every way I turn!!!

I'm wondering if this is a problem elsewhere in the Midwest or unique to my little corner of hell. How did I get stuck in this place?!?!? :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

If anyone can advise me as to how I could see more Sox games I would be VERY grateful. I'll get MLB Radio again this year, but with Rooney gone, that is a much less appealing alternative.

Thanks and best wishes to everyone...

Greg1983

Chicken Dinner
02-24-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm not sure how many Sox fans have this problem, but if *anyone* can advise me I'd really appreciate it.

I live in Indianapolis (aka Nap-Town, aka Hell-Hole) and can only see the Sox when they're on WGN or ESPN. Even the local Fox affiliate often doesn't carry the Saturday afternoon games. This isn't much of a baseball town, and to the extent that it is, it's a Reds/Cubs town.

I'd really like to subscribe to MLBTV over the Internet, but we're in the blackout area for Chicago. It's like I'm screwed every way I turn!!!

I'm wondering if this is a problem elsewhere in the Midwest or unique to my little corner of hell. How did I get stuck in this place?!?!? :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

If anyone can advise me as to how I could see more Sox games I would be VERY grateful. I'll get MLB Radio again this year, but with Rooney gone, that is a much less appealing alternative.

Greg1983

If you know someone out of the blackout area, have them buy mlbtv and pay them for it. Then use that password to access the games. I'm pretty sure that they check the billing address on the credit card so you can't just give them a fake address.

HoosierHerb
02-24-2006, 11:18 AM
I watch the games here in Indy with directv, on CSN chicago or WGN. They are not blacked out. So if Directv is an option, look into it. I haven't had to buy any extra packages (except CSN Chicago)

manders_01
02-24-2006, 12:25 PM
I watch the games here in Indy with directv, on CSN chicago or WGN. They are not blacked out. So if Directv is an option, look into it. I haven't had to buy any extra packages (except CSN Chicago)

Dish has an MLB package also, so if that's an option for you, you might check them.

LuvSox
02-24-2006, 12:45 PM
I live in Indianapolis (aka Nap-Town, aka Hell-Hole)

Are you being held hostage?

Greg1983
02-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Are you being held hostage?

:D:

Not exactly. Finances and limited job prospects have me somewhat stuck here, combined with a money-pit of a house that I've not been able to finish and could probably never sell. I did it to myself.

Oh, I miss Chicagoland. I'll get out of here one day, but it will be a while.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions...

Greg1983
02-24-2006, 02:44 PM
If you know someone out of the blackout area, have them buy mlbtv and pay them for it. Then use that password to access the games. I'm pretty sure that they check the billing address on the credit card so you can't just give them a fake address.

Do you know anyone who has actually been successful with this? It sounds like the most appealing alternative, but I'm worried they would do the black out based on IP address rather than a person's own billing address.

Thanks
Greg1983

Soxfest
02-24-2006, 03:47 PM
I live 90 miles south of Chicago my cable main office is Louisville KY I am the northern most city they service all cities around me get CSN and wciu , they will not get CSN or wciu and have no intention of adding it, and like you I am in blackout area for mlb.com and my WGN is Superstation not the local WGN to live 90 miles away is most frustarting of all.:angry:

my5thbench
02-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Greg, that's odd...my daughter went to Ball State & is still in Muncie, she gets WGN & CSN Chicago there, I'm not sure who her cable carrier is though,

you can forget CIU, not available up here either

illini81887
02-24-2006, 04:03 PM
Do you know anyone who has actually been successful with this? It sounds like the most appealing alternative, but I'm worried they would do the black out based on IP address rather than a person's own billing address.

Thanks
Greg1983
Yea they did that to me when I was in canton,ohio 2004. At my dad's friend house and whitesox-indians game was blacked out on mlb.tv

Greg1983
02-25-2006, 11:21 AM

Thanks, HoosierHerb. That's where I'll begin, I guess.

Can you add just a single channel to a DirecTV base package? If I'm understanding your note correctly, that's what you've done, but I can't see an option like that on their web site.

Greg

HoosierHerb
02-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Thanks, HoosierHerb. That's where I'll begin, I guess.

Can you add just a single channel to a DirecTV base package? If I'm understanding your note correctly, that's what you've done, but I can't see an option like that on their web site.

Greg

Greg,

Sorry to be unclear, I had to add the package of sports channels that includes CSN Chicago, you get a bunch of other regional CSN's and stuff. I think its called the sports package. I get that with HBO and under the promo I signed up under it is a total of $12 per month extra ($11 for first package, each addt'l add on is $1). So I think my total directv bill is like $80. I think that is about the going rate for cable around here. I was expecting the Sox games to be blacked out when I first signed up, but they're not. So the only games I miss are the CLTV games--not that big of a deal. WIth CSN you also get pre- and post- game coverage. Not only the sox, but if you're a bears fan it comes in handy as well.

Herb

CPditka
02-25-2006, 03:42 PM

Greg1983
I go to Purdue. We are lucky becuase we get CSN and CSN+ on insights cable network. Although we dont get WCIU, but no one does outside of the local 8 chicago counties. Your best option is directv and buy the baseball package. Other than that you gotta go with mlb.tv. Yes i know MLB.tv blackouts out all of indiana for cubs/sox games but I know how to get around them and could provide you with directions on how to get around the blackouts. Hit me a Private Message if interested.

kravdog
02-25-2006, 04:02 PM

Thanks
Greg1983

Greg, I also live in this great chity... yes, this will work. I split a MLB.tv account with a red sox fan friend of mine lastyear. He lives in FL and payed w/ his card. Once in a while you will be blacked out, but i would estimate that i was able to watch over 90% of the games last season...the way to go if direct tv isnt an option.

jdieter
02-26-2006, 10:39 AM
I've got Direct TV also. You can get the sports package without getting HBO or any of the movie channels. I got the system at Walmart for $50. Their web page will have all the pricing and the White Sox web page has the broadcast schedule.
Also I just ordered some tickets, had to go to August before I could get 4 lower levels together, row 18 in the Bleachers. How many rows are there in the bleacher section?

tick53
02-26-2006, 12:16 PM
You're right Greg. I've spent a lot of time in Indy and it's not a big baseball
town. Their support for the Colts is'nt the greatest either. Indy does have some good qualities though. Good Luck...Go Sox !!

Scottiehaswheels
04-06-2006, 08:48 AM
My gf (she's awesome) ordered me a sports package via Comcast so I can watch the games when I go down to spend the weekend or whatnot... Please someone tell me that home Sox games aren't blacked out if she bought the package.... PLEASE!!!!! She didn't know about the whole potential blackout thing so she didn't ask... Anyone from Indy with Comcast and the MLB package, does it work for you?

INSox56
04-06-2006, 11:18 AM

False, I asked about this last year. They don't do it by billing address, they track your IP and see where you are. I called them when I tried that and it didn't work. :wink:

INSox56
04-06-2006, 11:20 AM
I go to Purdue. We are lucky becuase we get CSN and CSN+ on insights cable network. Although we dont get WCIU, but no one does outside of the local 8 chicago counties. Your best option is directv and buy the baseball package. Other than that you gotta go with mlb.tv. Yes i know MLB.tv blackouts out all of indiana for cubs/sox games but I know how to get around them and could provide you with directions on how to get around the blackouts. Hit me a Private Message if interested.

I just graduated last year (GO BOILERS!!!!!!!!!!) and purdue DOES carry WCIU...or at least did last year. It was funny, there was a channel specifically designated for Sox games. It was a blue screen with text that reads (Next broadcast "whatever sox game on whatever date"), and when the game came on, the channel went to the game. I don't remember what channel it was, but it wasn't easy to find.

fuzzy_patters
04-06-2006, 11:25 AM
I just moved from the Indy area last summer. White Sox games are not blacked out in Indianapolis because it is considered both the Chicago and Cincy area. All you have to do is get a dish with a regional sports channel package. I used DirecTV. This not only gave me all of the White Sox and Cubs games that were broadcast on CSC, but it also gave me all the Reds games that were broadcast on FSOhio. I hope this helps.

Frankly Missing
04-06-2006, 11:41 AM
My gf (she's awesome) ordered me a sports package via Comcast so I can watch the games when I go down to spend the weekend or whatnot... Please someone tell me that home Sox games aren't blacked out if she bought the package.... PLEASE!!!!! She didn't know about the whole potential blackout thing so she didn't ask... Anyone from Indy with Comcast and the MLB package, does it work for you?

I have MLB Extra Innings though Comcast, and Brighthouse in the past.

The only time that is impacted by blackout is Saturday DAY games. If the Sox have a Sat. day game, WGN usually carries it.

I am in Florida, and most cable companies carry WGN for the snowbirds.

The rest of the days you pretty much get every game every where through Extra Innings.

Scottiehaswheels
04-06-2006, 11:41 AM
I just moved from the Indy area last summer. White Sox games are not blacked out in Indianapolis because it is considered both the Chicago and Cincy area. All you have to do is get a dish with a regional sports channel package. I used DirecTV. This not only gave me all of the White Sox and Cubs games that were broadcast on CSC, but it also gave me all the Reds games that were broadcast on FSOhio. I hope this helps.
Somewhat... Unfortunately she has Comcast due to living in an apartment that doesn't allow dishes.... Looks like home games are blacked out with what she bought but not away games... I figure she'll come up here on home weekends anyways so its not too bad...

Taliesinrk
04-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Greg, that's odd...my daughter went to Ball State & is still in Muncie, she gets WGN & CSN Chicago there, I'm not sure who her cable carrier is though,

you can forget CIU, not available up here either

Alright, Greg.. here's the deal. I live in Ft. Wayne and go to school in Richmond, IN. Therefore I know both worlds. In Ft. Wayne (I'm guessing is similar, if not the same as Muncie) the provider is comcast and we get CSN... plus we have the added incentive of not being within the blackout region. This is awesome..

In Richmond, life sucks. We're in the blackout region and our cable provider (Insight Communications) gives us great 'ol FSN Midwest ---> WASTE OF CHANNEL. Therefore I'm hosed. I believe that you could go dish (but you're still in the blackout area so you could still be blacked out right?) but you'd be better off doing the mlbtv with another person's address... Unfortunately I don't know if they can go by your IP address; it seems as though a few on here have done it successfully though.. Good Luck

Taliesinrk
04-06-2006, 12:23 PM

While this maybe true, White Sox games in Richmond have been blacked out several times on ESPN within the past two years... very frustrating.

PaleHosed
04-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Another option that I have considered... DirecTV and Dish determine your locals by where you tell them you live. I just moved to west michigan and I plan on telling DirecTV that I am living in NW Indiana with my parents. I'll pay by automatic payments from my debit card and my parents get some extra mail once a month when the bill comes in and I get my same TV I had in Chicago -- including WCIU.