PDA

View Full Version : What the **** is this guys problem?

RallyBowl
02-23-2006, 05:15 PM
First I'm going to say I haven't been here much the last few weeks, and it's good to be back. I always feel lost looking at all the new threads after a long layoff, but I'm ready to get back into the swing of things. This is a bad way to do it, but-

Can someone tell me what the **** is wrong with Joe Cowley?

Listen, I know you can't trust the media and so on and so forth. But when I was living in Central Illinois one of the things I missed was sitting down and reading the Sun-times everyday. So naturally I was looking forward to resuming my daily routine as soon as I moved closer to Chicago. Now, I don't know when this happened, because it seemed not too long ago he was at the Southtown, but this is the guy that is the beat writer for the defending World Champion Chicago White Sox? I can't deal with this. This guy sucks ****ing balls. He's just barely qualified to be a gossip columnist for a ****ty tabloid in Bum****, New Guinea.

Now, I know people will say "just don't read him then". That is impossible for me to do. Because peppered in ever so lightly between answers to loaded questions and answers taken out of context, there is some information there.
But seriously, who else wants to use this guys nuts for a punching bag? Say what you want about the Moron, I read him because in my opinion, he writes a decent column once in a while. You can tell by reading his work that he went to school for journalism. He may be a ***** and a two face and jealous of all the great athletes he has had to watch, but at least he can write.

Joe Cowley is a worthless bastard. Not too long ago I was ignorant to what this guy is all about, but now it is crystal clear. He wants gossip and to start fights and cause conflict, and to me it seems that he wants it so when it happens, he can be in the middle of it. It bothers me that as defending Champions, we are going to be in the national spotlight a little more this year, and those reporters who are looking for info are going to go to the guys who cover the Sox on the daily. They are going to go to Joe ****ing Cowley? This makes me angry. This dude is not even a writer. He's a piece of **** with a pen and a microphone, standing in the middle of all of our favorite players trying to stir the pot.

What, if anything, can be done about this? This douchebag needs to go fly a ****ing kite.

longshot7
02-23-2006, 05:18 PM
which column are you referring to, specifically?

JohnBasedowYoda
02-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Hey don't hold back on us now:cool:

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2006, 05:22 PM
First I'm going to say I haven't been here much the last few weeks, and it's good to be back. I always feel lost looking at all the new threads after a long layoff, but I'm ready to get back into the swing of things. This is a bad way to do it, but-

Listen, I know you can't trust the media and so on and so forth. But when I was living in Central Illinois one of the things I missed was sitting down and reading the Sun-times everyday. So naturally I was looking forward to resuming my daily routine as soon as I moved closer to Chicago. Now, I don't know when this happened, because it seemed not too long ago he was at the Southtown, but this is the guy that is the beat writer for the defending World Champion Chicago White Sox? I can't deal with this. This guy sucks ****ing balls. He's just barely qualified to be a gossip columnist for a ****ty tabloid in Bum****, New Guinea.

Now, I know people will say "just don't read him then". That is impossible for me to do. Because peppered in ever so lightly between answers to loaded questions and answers taken out of context, there is some information there.
But seriously, who else wants to use this guys nuts for a punching bag? Say what you want about the Moron, I read him because in my opinion, he writes a decent column once in a while. You can tell by reading his work that he went to school for journalism. He may be a ***** and a two face and jealous of all the great athletes he has had to watch, but at least he can write.

Joe Cowley is a worthless bastard. Not too long ago I was ignorant to what this guy is all about, but now it is crystal clear. He wants gossip and to start fights and cause conflict, and to me it seems that he wants it so when it happens, he can be in the middle of it. It bothers me that as defending Champions, we are going to be in the national spotlight a little more this year, and those reporters who are looking for info are going to go to the guys who cover the Sox on the daily. They are going to go to Joe ****ing Cowley? This makes me angry. This dude is not even a writer. He's a piece of **** with a pen and a microphone, standing in the middle of all of our favorite players trying to stir the pot.

What, if anything, can be done about this? This douchebag needs to go fly a ****ing kite.Where have you been? Tail-gunner Joe has been at this for ages.

WSox8404
02-23-2006, 06:55 PM

What, if anything, can be done about this? This douchebag needs to go fly a ****ing kite.

Wow. So what you are saying is that you don't like him right? Seriously though it does suck but what are we to do?

FoulTerritory
02-23-2006, 07:00 PM
He was on Carmen and Silvy this morning and basically told them that in his spare time he is addicted to the online video game world of warcraft. I'm picturing him rushing to finish columns so he can get back to fighting virtual goblins.

JohnBasedowYoda
02-23-2006, 07:24 PM
He was on Carmen and Silvy this morning and basically told them that in his spare time he is addicted to the online video game world of warcraft. I'm picturing him rushing to finish columns so he can get back to fighting virtual goblins.

My cousin plays that all the time. If he sits down you can count him playing for at least 5 hours before moving.

TheDarkGundam
02-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Really? That's pretty funny. I can imagine him going around "pwning n00bs at WoW".
Was it Curt Schilling who is the big fan of Everquest? I always thought that was kind of funny too.

SOXintheBURGH
02-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Really? That's pretty funny. I can imagine him going around "pwning n00bs at WoW".
Was it Curt Schilling who is the big fan of Everquest? I always thought that was kind of funny too.

I think you're right.

"lol owned"

"dude ***"

34 Inch Stick
02-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Joe is an infrequent poster on this site. I wouldn't be shocked if he felt the need to PM you and then run away. You may want to respond to his PM but he tends not to return the favor.

Hey, he knows martial arts so watch out.

Lip Man 1
02-24-2006, 12:56 PM
I think Joe has been permanently banned by the mods and PHG after some brutal comments that he posted about this site, the staff and especially PHG's wife. (Why he included her in his diatribe I have no idea...)

As PHG will tell you I've had a run in or two with him as well. It came about after I publicly questioned how he could write articles for the 'official' White Sox yearbook, get paid by the Sox and then claim to be 'objective' in reporting on them. It's a conflict of interest period.

He went completely bonkers basically telling me that I had no right to say anything because I work in Idaho and nobody cares. :rolleyes:

My response was along the lines of that where you work in the media means absolutely nothing. Some folks don't want to work in a 'big' market, some talented folks (not referring to myself by the way...) never get the luck or the opportunity to work in a big market. That doesn't mean what they have to say, if supported by the facts, is meaningless.

Lip

RichFitztightly
02-24-2006, 06:25 PM
I think Joe has been permanently banned by the mods and PHG after some brutal comments that he posted about this site, the staff and especially PHG's wife. (Why he included her in his diatribe I have no idea...)

As PHG will tell you I've had a run in or two with him as well. It came about after I publicly questioned how he could write articles for the 'official' White Sox yearbook, get paid by the Sox and then claim to be 'objective' in reporting on them. It's a conflict of interest period.

He went completely bonkers basically telling me that I had no right to say anything because I work in Idaho and nobody cares. :rolleyes:

My response was along the lines of that where you work in the media means absolutely nothing. Some folks don't want to work in a 'big' market, some talented folks (not referring to myself by the way...) never get the luck or the opportunity to work in a big market. That doesn't mean what they have to say, if supported by the facts, is meaningless.

Lip

You know, this is the first time I've read something about Joe Cowley that really made me mad. I don't know if anybody remembers (or even cares) but I've defended him on numerous occasions. I've read about 95% of his articles in the past... I don't know how many years, and I've never understood why so many people on this site go bonkers over his articles. There has been only one thing I've read in the Southtown that I thought had absolutely no redeeming qualities, and ironically enough, nobody here even mentioned it. Most of the other stuff I think is fine. He writes about things that aren't always rosy, but I've never got the impression anybody, outside of this site, gave it a second thought.

However, this story about Cowley bothers me.

pudge
02-25-2006, 12:19 AM
You can just tell by the way he writes and what he writes about, he's a slimball.

TornLabrum
02-25-2006, 09:27 AM
You can just tell by the way he writes and what he writes about, he's a slimball.

Now there's an oxymoron. Balls by their very nature are fat. :redneck

beckett21
02-25-2006, 12:32 PM

Lip
The post in question (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=361160&postcount=52)

I have no idea if this is really Cowley or not, but this is the post Lip was referring to (which has been censored BTW)--I remember reading the original posting, and it was very nasty and unprofessional, to say the least.

Again I personally don't know if this was Cowley or an imposter, so take it FWIW. It seemed to be believed that this was/is him though.

SOXSINCE'70
02-25-2006, 01:18 PM
he's a slimball.

Don't you mean SLIME ball??:dunno:

Just asking.:D:

DMarte708
02-25-2006, 07:59 PM
I don't recall Cowley's encounter with WSI, but the feelings I have for him as a writer have been rooted a long time ago.

As several have alluded to, his writing often consists of reporting controversial topics. I'ts nothing personal--he realizes his niche is to provide exclusive material; such as conflicts among teammates, managment and contracts, etc.

I don't appreciate his work simply because he's exclusively looking for dirt on the White Sox. If it's not Mariotti, or Slezack, or Couch, or basically everyone working for the Tribune, now it's Cowley as well. You have to believe the Sun-Times hired him for the numerous scoops he's provided. Most of which, coincidentally, looked unfavorably upon our club.

Where is the Cub equivalent of Joe Cowley in the Chicago news media? Someone who dedicates themselves to exposing trouble within the organization.

SOXintheBURGH
02-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Where is the Cub equivalent of Joe Cowley in the Chicago news media? Someone who dedicates themselves to exposing trouble within the organization.

He posts here as Hangar18.

chisoxfan64
02-25-2006, 08:27 PM
He posts here as Hangar18.

I know funny, and that is funny!:rolling: