PDA

View Full Version : Rules Clarification

Meixner007
02-23-2006, 04:40 PM
I've always wondered this and never could get a straight answer.

Let's say the first baseman dives and stops a grounder. He then scrambles to the bag and touches the base with his mitt, while holding the ball in his non-mitt hand. Is it still a force?

I want Mags back
02-23-2006, 04:48 PM

Let's say the first baseman dives and stops a grounder. He then scrambles to the bag and touches the base with his mitt, while holding the ball in his non-mitt hand. Is it still a force?

On a force play, if you get full control of the ball, and then make any form of contact with the bag, it is a force out. You dont have to touch the base with the ball, only the runner do you have to tag with the ball.

WSox8404
02-23-2006, 04:49 PM

Its an out. If it wasn't then you could argue everyone would be safe when you simply step on the bag unless you have the ball in your shoe.

downstairs
02-23-2006, 04:49 PM
It's no different than touching it with your foot and holding it in your mitt... or holding it in your hat... or holding someone else's mitt, with the ball...

As long as you have the ball somewhere and are somehow touching the bag, it is a force...

I want Mags back
02-23-2006, 05:01 PM
It's no different than touching it with your foot and holding it in your mitt... or holding it in your hat... or holding someone else's mitt, with the ball...

As long as you have the ball somewhere and are somehow touching the bag, it is a force...

actually, you cant use your hat to catch or hold the ball. I remember 2 years ago i went to this umpiring clinic and it was the only question i missed on the exam, was what happens if you catch it in your hat

batmanZoSo
02-23-2006, 05:03 PM

It would be silly if it wasn't, when the likewise non-mitt foot can create a forceout. Why should only one extremity have the privelege?

PennStater98r
02-23-2006, 07:02 PM
However, what if you have control of the ball, but you do not have control of yourself. For example, you catch the ball on one hop and then you stumble on the way to first base - fall over and roll over the top of first base on your way there? I mean - do you also have to be in control?

MarySwiss
02-23-2006, 07:33 PM
However, what if you have control of the ball, but you do not have control of yourself. For example, you catch the ball on one hop and then you stumble on the way to first base - fall over and roll over the top of first base on your way there? I mean - do you also have to be in control?

Well, unless you are a complete idiot, you're not going to admit you stumbled and fell; you're going to claim that you were DIVING toward first base to make sure you made the play. :cool:

Seriously, what difference would it make why you touched the bag? The point is, you touched it. So, as long as your clumsy ass got there ahead of the runner, he would be out. :smile:

Meixner007
02-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Well, unless you are a complete idiot, you're not going to admit you stumbled and fell; you're going to claim that you were DIVING toward first base to make sure you made the play. :cool:

Seriously, what difference would it make why you touched the bag? The point is, you touched it. So, as long as your clumsy ass got there ahead of the runner, he would be out. :smile:

The reason I ask is because many years ago, in little league, i did the same thing and the runner was called safe. I figured if you forced someone it had to be with the ball or with your foot. Never got an explination from the ump but hey, i was probably 10 and he was probably 15

DumpJerry
02-23-2006, 08:37 PM
I called Hunter the Ump. He told me the runner is safe unless the runner is wearing the unform of the Chicago White Sox. Then the play is considered a duoble play with two outs being recorded.

Froemming confirmed that is correct and gave Hunter props for getting it right.

chisoxfanatic
02-23-2006, 09:06 PM
I called Hunter the Ump. He told me the runner is safe unless the runner is wearing the unform of the Chicago White Sox. Then the play is considered a duoble play with two outs being recorded.

Froemming confirmed that is correct and gave Hunter props for getting it right.

I guess we'll have to have Mr. Wendlestedt call Opening Night's game so that Konerko and crew can shove that World Series trophy up his rear end!!!

DumpJerry
02-23-2006, 09:51 PM
I guess we'll have to have Mr. Wendlestedt call Opening Night's game so that Konerko and crew can shove that World Series trophy up his rear end!!!
No need. I sent him the MLB and Comcast DVD's for Christmas.......He's not in them because he did not get those game$$ to work.

chisoxfanatic
02-23-2006, 10:14 PM
No need. I sent him the MLB and Comcast DVD's for Christmas.......He's not in them because he did not get those game$$ to work.

I heard some Houston fans sent him a letter bitching that they weren't featured on the World Series DVD enough and to "give us hell" this season. Waaaaaaahhh...You didn't WIN the World Series! WE did!

bigfoot
02-23-2006, 10:21 PM
I heard some Houston fans sent him a letter bitching that they weren't featured on the World Series DVD enough and to "give us hell" this season. Waaaaaaahhh...You didn't WIN the World Series! WE did!

When will that Barbara Bush quit complaining about the lack of a "spot-shadow" highlighting her presence behind homeplate in the Juice Box?:tongue: