PDA

View Full Version : Baines to First-Rock to Bench

WS in 05
02-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Does anybody know why HB is moving to be the first base coach and Raines is moving to bench coach? It always seemed to me that baines was more of a chill guy sitting back on the bench and the rock seemed to be jumping around all the time,(running to 1st, trying to beat the throw) and liked being out there and seemed more his style

mjharrison72
02-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Source?
I would be really surprised if this were true.

ilsox7
02-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Source?
I would be really surprised if this were true.
It's actually old news and is true. There is a thread about the article somewhere around here.

EDIT: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66633&highlight=raines+bench+coach

Pretty sure it was in the papers, too.

mjharrison72
02-23-2006, 11:45 AM
It's actually old news and is true. There is a thread about the article somewhere around here.
It's not as if I have been living under a rock or something (no pun intended). Can anyone explain to me why a guy with 34 career steals would be a better first-base coach than a guy with 808 career steals? :?:

ilsox7
02-23-2006, 11:48 AM
It's not as if I have been living under a rock or something (no pun intended). Can anyone explain to me why a guy with 34 career steals would be a better first-base coach than a guy with 808 career steals? :?:

If I remember the article I read about this, Ozzie said that he wanted Raines in the dugout b/c he'd have more opportunity to talk and work with the players there. Having him coach 1st limits the time/method of communication.

ondafarm
02-23-2006, 11:52 AM
I think this move is to:

a) put Baines, who seems to operate on the same frequency as Guillen (lesser amplitude though) available to the beserunner. Things like Rowand tagging up on a double by AJ are errors by the first-base coach and Raines is more intuitive, he assumes the guy is smart enough not to do a dumb play like that. Baines knows what Guillen will try and prepares the runner for the run and hit play a few pitches in advance, which is much harder to defense against.

b) put the more boisterous and more different ideas of Raines in the dugout, where he can give a wider variety of strategies to Guillen.

I don't like it. Raines helps the mediocre basestealers (Dye, Iguchi, Uribe) be a bigger threat. Baines can't.

mjharrison72
02-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Just read the other thread... glad to hear I wasn't the only one questioning the logic.

soxfanatlanta
02-23-2006, 12:01 PM
I don't like it. Raines helps the mediocre basestealers (Dye, Iguchi, Uribe) be a bigger threat. Baines can't.
I agree, he was very valuable trying to recognize the pitchers motion to first. On the other hand, perhaps he want to do something different this year; move on the bigger things. If so, then I tip my hat to Ozzie for giving him a chance. He can always move back there, no?

ondafarm
02-23-2006, 03:13 PM
I agree, he was very valuable trying to recognize the pitchers motion to first. On the other hand, perhaps he want to do something different this year; move on the bigger things. If so, then I tip my hat to Ozzie for giving him a chance. He can always move back there, no?

There's some sort of rule on moving coaches around. I know there's a medical exemption, but something like if the incumbent is healthy you have to get permission of all other teams in your league or something like that. Most teams just name one and stick with him.

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Ozzie is tired of Harold talking his ear off in the dugout.

WSox8404
02-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Ozzie is tired of Harold talking his ear off in the dugout.

Now I know that should have been in teal.....:smile: .

IlliniSox
02-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Rock was on the radio Sunday, he was talking about getting back into managing (he has minor league experience). So it sounded like this was simply a case of the Sox/Ozzie accomidating Rock's aspirations to be #2 on the bench.

I for one will love to see Harold on the field everyday again. But I am also certain we'll miss Raines out there more.