PDA

View Full Version : What does this season mean?

Rooney4Prez56
02-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Simple question here. The Sox are the best team in the world. We have the hardware. What do we accomplish this season?

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Simple question here. The Sox are the best team in the world. We have the hardware. What do we accomplish this season?That was last year. Right now they're tied for first with everyone else at 0-0.

MarySwiss
02-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Seems pretty simple to me. A lot of teams have been the best team in the world--for ONE year. The real trick is to be the best team in the world every year.

rookieroy
02-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Simple answer......repeat! The only thing I see in our way is health. As long as we stay healthy, it should be another great season.

skottyj242
02-23-2006, 11:28 AM
I thought Paulie said it best at the parade.

Hangar18
02-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Defending a Championship is one of the hardest things to do ............
this would be a HUGE FEATHER in the SOX cap if they set their goal to REPEAT. Only a team like the Yankees, who PAID for their players, would have reason to crow, and the SOX would finally have to be acknowledged and respected for generations to come. It would/should finally exorcise any of the 2ndclassteam demons the SOX saddled themselves with since 1981. End result? the luxury of being able to have a high payroll if they so desired and no more letting your best players leaving your team to jump to predator-like franchises like the Yankees, Braves, Cubs,

Baby Fisk
02-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Why not go for the repeat? Kenny has declared that he wants sustained success for the south side team, not just a one-off.

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2006, 11:32 AM
I want to read this next November:

Joe Sheehan: Well, once again the Sox outperformed their Pythagorean and second order win total, proving that our models are absolutely correct and the Sox are the luckiest team to ever take the field.

Lip Man 1
02-23-2006, 11:33 AM
In my opinion the thing the White Sox should be trying to do is to reestablish themselves as the dominant team in Chicago and to establish themselves as a consistent winning, contending team in the minds of the national media and baseball fans. It used to be that way during the 1950's and through say the mid 60's.

That doesn't necessarily mean they have to win back to back World Series titles. That's extremely hard to do and unrealistic from a goal standpoint.

What is realistic and entirely possible though is to make the playoffs in back to back years for the first time in franchise history.

That is what the Sox can accomplish this year (at a minimum). The next step then would be to make the postseason say in four of six years or seven of ten, something along the lines of the Yankees, Braves or Cardinals.

That's what the plan should be. Make the playoffs on a consistent basis and you'll win a few series trophies.

Lip

White Sox Randy
02-23-2006, 11:35 AM
In my opinion the thing the White Sox should be trying to do is to reestablish themselves as the dominant team in Chicago and to establish themselves as a consistent winning, contending team in the minds of the national media and baseball fans. It used to be that way during the 1950's and through say the mid 60's.

That doesn't necessarily mean they have to win back to back World Series titles. That's extremely hard to do and unrealistic from a goal standpoint.

What is realistic and entirely possible though is to make the playoffs in back to back years for the first time in franchise history.

That is what the Sox can accomplish this year (at a minimum). The next step then would be to make the postseason say in four of six years or seven of ten, something along the lines of the Yankees, Braves or Cardinals.

That's what the plan should be. Make the playoffs on a consistent basis and you'll win a few series trophies.

Lip

BINGO !

downstairs
02-23-2006, 11:42 AM

Lip

Bingo is right.

At the risk of being labeled a FOBB... the playoffs are a crapshoot. Making the playoffs is the realistic goal (and expectation.)

I see no reason we can't expect to make the playoffs for 3-4 years straight. Or more.

skottyj242
02-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Isn't it any teams goal at the start of spring training to win the whole thing? Why would this year be any different?

Iwritecode
02-23-2006, 12:04 PM
This year is obviously the Sox chance to take back the attendance trophy! Duh!

:)

Save McCuddy's
02-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Isn't it any teams goal at the start of spring training to win the whole thing? Why would this year be any different?

I agree with A.J. who claims he's just as hungry this spring to win a championship as he's ever been.

ewokpelts
02-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Think of 2005 as the Stones' "Exile on Main Street"
And think of 2006 as the the TOUR for Exile......
Gene

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Isn't it any teams goal at the start of spring training to win the whole thing? Why would this year be any different?Absolutely. Your goal every year is to win the whole thing. If it's not, you ought to be in another business. Obviously, you're not going to win the WS every year, but that doesn't mean that's not your goal.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Ozzie needs to DEFEND THE HOME-LAND for once too and beat the Cubs in the City-series, while of course also taking home the REAL trophy. That'll work. Jerry Manual was good for one thing (and ONLY this one).

Yes, still a tad Cub obsessed but much less-so than before. I just enjoy their humiliation a little more than I probably should still. Oh well, forgive me.

miker
02-23-2006, 01:13 PM
Although I agree with all of your statements, do you really think winning (a lot!) can really flip the popularity meter towards the White Sox, especially when working against the media, a giant marketing machine and the ignorance that is the general public?

delben91
02-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Ozzie needs to DEFEND THE HOME-LAND for once too and beat the Cubs in the City-series, while of course also taking home the REAL trophy. That'll work. Jerry Manual was good for one thing (and ONLY this one).

Yes, still a tad Cub obsessed but much less-so than before. I just enjoy their humiliation a little more than I probably should still. Oh well, forgive me.

If the Cubs swept the Sox and the Sox still won the World Series, I'd have no issues whatsoever. Forget the Cubs, they're just another team the Sox have to beat in the regular season to make the playoffs.

jdm2662
02-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Although I agree with all of your statements, do you really think winning (a lot!) can really flip the popularity meter towards the White Sox, especially when working against the media, a giant marketing machine and the ignorance that is the general public?

It was pretty equal, at least in my mind, in the early 90s when the Sox put out contending teams every year, had a premiere young player in Thomas, and were featured in such movies like Major League 2 and Little Big League. Some might say the new stadium helped, but you couldn't argue with the results on the field. The Sox took alot of PR hits after the strike, the White Flag Trade, etc. It also didn't help they didn't exactly have the best on field success during that time. You don't recover from those factors overnight...

Personally, Sox fans should not even care about the Cubs, but some people still can't just ignore them and enjoy the Sox success. The best part of being a Sox fan is that it was my team, and I didn't share it with anyone.

skottyj242
02-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Getting a little off topic here but I wonder if when tickets for other teams went on-sale did we become a "prime game?" Or is there a marketing campaign such as come see your only chance to catch the defending World Champs?

santo=dorf
02-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Bingo is right.

At the risk of being labeled a FOBB... the playoffs are a crapshoot. Making the playoffs is the realistic goal (and expectation.)

I see no reason we can't expect to make the playoffs for 3-4 years straight. Or more.
The playoffs are not a "crapshoot."

Generally the successful teams in the playoffs have a 1-3 rotation that is capable winning each game. The problem is when a playoff team's offensive is built around clogging the bases and hoping for the "big hit." You're just not going to get flat performances that allow so many base runners from starting pitchers especially against team who is throwing Schilling-Pedro-Lowe (at the time,) Clemens-Petitte-Oswalt, or Contreras-Buehrle-Garland at you. If you get a base runner you have to do all you can to get that guy in. Not keep wishing the pitchers will issue another walk and the next batter will hit one down the line.

The Sox have that pitching staff, have an offense that can manufacture a run from nothing (see AJ's K in game 2 of the ALCS,) but also have a team that can pop a few out of the ballparks.

I really like our chances for the next couple of seasons.
http://www.angelfire.com/pq/subzer0/images/3peat.jpg

ewokpelts
02-23-2006, 02:19 PM
Getting a little off topic here but I wonder if when tickets for other teams went on-sale did we become a "prime game?" Or is there a marketing campaign such as come see your only chance to catch the defending World Champs?peeattle has lumped our games in their 4 game "playoff packs".
Gene

BNLSox
02-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Defending a Championship is one of the hardest things to do ............
this would be a HUGE FEATHER in the SOX cap if they set their goal to REPEAT. Only a team like the Yankees, who PAID for their players, would have reason to crow, and the SOX would finally have to be acknowledged and respected for generations to come. It would/should finally exorcise any of the 2ndclassteam demons the SOX saddled themselves with since 1981. End result? the luxury of being able to have a high payroll if they so desired and no more letting your best players leaving your team to jump to predator-like franchises like the Yankees, Braves, Cubs,

Hangar, do you really see the Braves and Cubs as predator type franchises. The former I see as a club that completely builds from within and the latter a place where players go to die... But yes I agree with calling the yanks predators and I would add the Mets, Angels, Dodgers, and gasp Tigers to this list of teams that try to buy it away.

Back to the post itself, our goal is without a doubt sustained success. Most people didn't witness our season last year and have no idea how magical the regular season was. Everytime Scotty was up, waiting for Frank to get back, watching Frank's at bats, watching some of the most amazing pitching all year long, watching Crede in the field. This team is still very special and even if they falter they will be amazing to watch!

FP_sox
02-23-2006, 02:36 PM
More World Champion white Sox DVDs would be nice :cool:

ewokpelts
02-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Hangar, do you really see the Braves and Cubs as predator type franchises. The former I see as a club that completely builds from within and the latter a place where players go to die... But yes I agree with calling the yanks predators and I would add the Mets, Angels, Dodgers, and gasp Tigers to this list of teams that try to buy it away.

Back to the post itself, our goal is without a doubt sustained success. Most people didn't witness our season last year and have no idea how magical the regular season was. Everytime Scotty was up, waiting for Frank to get back, watching Frank's at bats, watching some of the most amazing pitching all year long, watching Crede in the field. This team is still very special and even if they falter they will be amazing to watch!when uncle teddy ran the braves, they did spend a lot on free agents, but bobby cox also had a TON of youth to work with(and shuerholz to wheel and deal with)......
Gene

nebraskasox
02-23-2006, 03:26 PM

Lip

This is what I hope 2006 means. In spring of 2001, I took a taxi from an El station to my mother's apt. I was optimistic after the 95 win campaign in 2000 and asked the cabbie what he thought about the Sox in 2001. He said something like "Chicago baseball teams always have a down year after finishing first". As you all know, he was right.

The Sox of the early 90's were consistently good but only made the playoffs once with the strike shortened 94 season. The GO GO Sox were second and third a lot but just one pennant. I'm optimistic this is the year we break the mold and the Sox start to become established as a consistent playoff team.

The 06 Sox are well positioned for another deep run in the playoffs if they can stay healthy. This franchise is on the upswing. The interval between 1st place finishes is decreasing. 40 years (59), to 24 (83), to 10 (93) to 7 (00) to 5 (05). We are seeing a resurgence in baseball on the S Side. I'm hoping the trend continues and the 06 Sox perform to the high expectations we now have for our beloved team. If we can make the playoffs again, let's go for it! As Ozzie said, "ween dees theen."

soxinem1
02-23-2006, 03:39 PM
That was last year. Right now they're tied for first with everyone else at 0-0.

How true. Anything that can happen, will happen. While I think we did far better in fortifying our team than recent reining champions, all it takes is one injury, one fluke, and one off year to bring you down from the top of the rainbow.

But a repeat championship will garner much-deserved respect, if we even care about that. The accomplishment of one is great, but a repeat would definitely start talk of a dynasty.

Cautious optimism, folks, let's all keep the goal in perspective.

WSDaytonOH
02-27-2006, 12:06 AM
As said best by Da Superfans...

...Minimum 8-peat!!!

But where's Ditka?

Half Cocked Jack
02-27-2006, 12:50 AM

I don't really care that much about beating the Cubs, though its certainly fun. This year I think the Cubs fans, and hence the organization are going to have an inferiority complex and go all out. So, I wouldnt be surprised if they won. It would be great to smack them down, though.

mrs. hendu
02-27-2006, 02:02 AM
Our goal is to defend the title, but at the same time the team has to forget about last year and start over as if they were the underdogs again.

I'm excited and scared, I don't want this "we are the champions" feeling to end.

Steelrod
02-27-2006, 06:06 AM
Ya know, I just don't care any more about media and popularity. I just want to enjoy my team, and hopefully get back to the playoffs. We are in a unique position in Chicago, we're winners.
Those that follow the North side and ignore us were and are the real losers in this town. I wish them continued seasons of high expitations and attendance. Dusty will take care of the rest. Go Sox !