PDA

View Full Version : Sun-Times Article: Buehrle still telling it like it is

ChiSoxGirl
02-23-2006, 08:21 AM
'To be honest with you, I personally don't think Cleveland is going to be as good as they were last year. They got rid of a couple of key guys with [pitcher Kevin] Millwood, and I think [outfielder] Coco Crisp was a huge loss for them. They're not the same team they were last year.''

And Buehrle is the first to insist that neither are the Sox. His point, however, is the Sox might just be better.
The article in its entirety. (http://www.chicagosuntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-sox23.html)

You tell 'em Buehrls! :bandance:

fuzzy_patters
02-23-2006, 08:30 AM
What is the point in saying this stuff? It reminds me of Ray Durham running his mouth off about the Twins a few years back. Does he really want to put a bigger target on their backs?

SOecks
02-23-2006, 08:47 AM
What is the point in saying this stuff? It reminds me of Ray Durham running his mouth off about the Twins a few years back. Does he really want to put a bigger target on their backs?

It doesn't bother me because what he's saying is true, and pretty obvious to most people. Also, they have a huge target on their backs already. I'm sure this won't affect anything for the worse.

MERPER
02-23-2006, 09:35 AM
The beauty about being Champions is that you can say whatever you want.... as long as they speak the truth, I don't care.... Buehrle is 100% correct.... Millwood kept the tribe in games with us, although we eventually won them and Crisp is a bona-fide White Sox killer....

BNLSox
02-23-2006, 09:36 AM
Big difference between Ray talking trash and Mark approaching the conversation from as objective a point as possible. Truth is Cleveland did make some moves that make them a lot better in the long run but will hurt them in '06 (most likely). Losing a guy like Milwood is akin to us losing Mark or Freddie. You need that stopper, you need that workhorse.

MisterB
02-23-2006, 10:16 AM

They're defending World Series champs, the target doesn't get any bigger. And when Durham was talking, the Sox hadn't won ****.

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2006, 10:18 AM
It ain't braggin' if you can do it.

Jerko
02-23-2006, 10:28 AM
They're defending World Series champs, the target doesn't get any bigger. And when Durham was talking, the Sox hadn't won ****.

True. I agree with MB. IMO the Indians did nothing to improve and may actually have taken a step back. We'll see.

CashMan
02-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Picking up the 3B prospect good long term, Losing one of the lowest SP ERAs in the league, your set-up man and Crisp big step back short term.

ChiSoxGirl
02-23-2006, 10:35 AM

As far as I'm concerned, after what The Big Four did in the ALCS, any of them- including Buehrls- can say whatever they want! They've proven they can and DO come through when it's needed!

The Indians defined the word "choke" the last week of the season and no one from that team has the right to chirp about how they're going to win the division, etc.

ArkanSox
02-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Mark,
Personally, I hope you're right, but I have a feeling the Indians are going to be a very tough out this year. Manager Eric Wedge is the real deal, and if he can reattain the chemistry of last year's team despite the personnel losses, I think they make another run at us. Sure, it's tempting to think that they'll regress since they lost Milwood and Crisp, but in the field they're still a young, talented team with a lot of upside.

P.S. Congrats on being our Opening Day starter once again. GO SOX!!!

TheOldRoman
02-23-2006, 10:43 AM
While I agree with Buehrle 100%, I wish he would have said some crap like "they are a great team and we will be lucky to outlast them again." Sometimes humoring people like that says more than actually coming out and saying what you really mean.

RichFitztightly
02-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Wow, 2 days in a row, first, Chad Bentz and now Buehrle. Tailgunner Joe is really mowing them down now!!!

Lip Man 1
02-23-2006, 11:35 AM
I simply don't think losing Millwood and Elarton and replacing them with Byrd and Johnson is an upgrade pitching-wise.

We'll see but I can certainly understand the thinking that Cleveland's pitching isn't as good this season.

Then throw in the losses of Howry and Rhodes in the bullpen.

Lip

santo=dorf
02-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Who cares now? We're on top.

Buehrle should also mention they haven't filled Howry's spot unless you're counting Danny Graves or Steve Karsay. :kneeslap:

hold2dibber
02-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Who cares now? We're on top.

Buehrle should also mention they haven't filled Howry's spot unless you're counting Danny Graves or Steve Karsay.

I think they got Mota in the Crisp deal. When healthy, he's very good.

batmanZoSo
02-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Buehrle is 100% right and his wording is such that he's not pulling any punches in my opinion.

This is the best team in the division--again--and one of the top 5 teams in baseball without question before a single game is played. The division is ours until we flop, and for that matter no one in any other division truly scares me either. Of course the Sox didn't scare anyone in February last year, but regardless..

This is not a big deal to me. Buehrle's said much worse things than this in the past. :cool:

santo=dorf
02-23-2006, 12:31 PM
I think they got Mota in the Crisp deal. When healthy, he's very good.
Actually, he hasn't been good since leaving LA. He failed his intial physical in the trade, and Cleveland gave up Riske as part of that deal.

They still haven't replace Howry, and they traded Rhodes as well.

TomBradley72
02-23-2006, 12:34 PM
I like the fact that we're mixing it up a little bit with the good teams in the AL...when Minn, Cleveland, Boston, Anaheim and New York come to The Cell...there will be a real "rivalry" feel to the games this year. Along with a little bit of the "edge" that Detroit (the Maggs thing, Monroe shooting off his mouth), Texas (the Showalter stuff with Ozzie) and Oakland (Frank going to the A's) bring to the mix...it should be alot of fun. Just a few years ago...it seemed like there were no real WSox rivalries in the AL other than possibly Minnesota....I like it.

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Actually, he hasn't been good since leaving LA. He failed his intial physical in the trade, and Cleveland gave up Riske as part of that deal.

They still haven't replace Howry, and they traded Rhodes as well.I still don't get what Shapiro was trying to do here. He gave up two relievers to get one back, and Mota isn't as good as the ones he gave up. He replaced Crisp with Michaels, which I don't see as an upgrade. And he replaced Bard with Shoppich, not an upgrade. All this to get Andy Marte? Am I missing something?

Fake Chet Lemon
02-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Shut-up MB and do your talking between the white lines, which I'm confident you'll do anyway. Why is this necessary?

KW just told OG that he wants an organization that not only wins, but wins with class. Talking down your opponents in the newspapers probably isn't what KW meant. I'll side with KW's philosophy.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-23-2006, 01:02 PM
It doesn't bother me because what he's saying is true,

Just because it's true doesn't make saying it right or even necessary.

chisoxmike
02-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Why does Mark have to start this? It's one thing if you are responding to something Cleveland is saying, why start ****? We've seen that this team hasn't been able to back **** up in the past. Yeah, I know, they're coming off a World Series win AND ON PAPER they are the best team in the divison, if not AL.

But shut the **** up and play the season and let that do your talking.

Remember preseason 2005 Torri Hunter saying "We're not afraid of the White Sox anymore." Well, we kicked their asses all up and down the street last year.

Buehrle in 2004 ran his mouth off against the Twins and watched them celebrate their 3rd divison title on his mound. I personally don't think the Indians got better but **** happens in baseball.

JohnBasedowYoda
02-23-2006, 02:44 PM

I agree. We have the stones to back all this up.

soxinem1
02-23-2006, 03:46 PM
Why does Mark have to start this? It's one thing if you are responding to something Cleveland is saying, why start ****? We've seen that this team hasn't been able to back **** up in the past. Yeah, I know, they're coming off a World Series win AND ON PAPER they are the best team in the divison, if not AL.

Remember preseason 2005 Torri Hunter saying "We're not afraid of the White Sox anymore." Well, we kicked their asses all up and down the street last year.

Buehrle in 2004 ran his mouth off against the Twins and watched them celebrate their 3rd divison title on his mound. I personally don't think the Indians got better but **** happens in baseball.

Yeah, but you know what? It's better than him talking that 'going to St. Louis as a FA' crap, remember?

batmanZoSo
02-23-2006, 03:51 PM

I don't see why it should bother you as a fan. You're not on the line because of this. He obviously feels he and the Sox "have the stones" to back it up, as JBY so succinctly put it. That's the way I look at it. And again, it's relatively mild as trash-talking goes. If you call it that. :dunno:

kevin57
02-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Do you suppose this is MB's way of "firing up the troops" for an '06 run? After all, the motivation last year was that the Sox were not getting respect. Well, that line this year won't cut it. Maybe he's telling his teammates that this year they're all going to be gunning for us, so let's not play defensive in the light of that; let's go on the offensive right out of the gate.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Our guys are using "Freedom of Speech" way too much. If we keep this up, in a year or two, we'll become the most hated team in baseball because of statements like this. You can't be "knocking" other teams, players, etc., even if it's the truth, and not expect to get knocked back and to be hated.

SOecks
02-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Our guys are using "Freedom of Speech" way too much. If we keep this up, in a year or two, we'll become the most hated team in baseball because of statements like this. You can't be "knocking" other teams, players, etc., even if it's the truth, and not expect to get knocked back and to be hated.

Eh, so many in the media and across the nation have been indifferent to the Sox all these years, it doesn't bother me if they all hate us. As long as we keep winning. Hate...indifference, neither bothers me. Just win.

mrs. hendu
02-23-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm not too crazy about these comments, even though I agree with Mark. I just think that being the underdog and not expecting too much is more huh fun. 2005 was awesome and unforgettable, but I don't see a point in getting cocky.

SoxSpeed22
02-23-2006, 07:14 PM
If you're gonna talk, you **** better bring it.
I think Buehrle can bring it.

ShoelessJoeS
02-23-2006, 07:18 PM
The article in its entirety. (http://www.chicagosuntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-sox23.html)

You tell 'em Buehrls! :bandance:
Buehrle's the man. Anyone else love how members of the White Sox organization just tell it like it is?