PDA

View Full Version : BA top 100

California Sox
02-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Baseball America has released the bottom 50 of its top 100. Anderson is 51, Sweeney 92. Gio is in the 70s. I'd imagine Jenks will be in the first 50 somewhere.

KRS1
02-22-2006, 10:02 PM
Baseball America has released the bottom 50 of its top 100. Anderson is 51, Sweeney 92. Gio is in the 70s. I'd imagine Jenks will be in the first 50 somewhere.
Gotta love the fact they put BA's picture on the front page of BA for this story. Simply fantastic.

Also, here's the quote on him taken from Wilder.

"He can do just about anything he wants to do on the field. You don't find too many guys with all the tools to play any position out there in the outfield."
--White Sox farm director David Wilder

Here's Sweeney's quote.

"I'm confident Sweeney will hit for power. When he does, he'll have three plus tools: hitting for average, hitting for power and arm."
--anonymous scout

I gotta think Sweeney's fielding should have been mentioned as a plus tool also, he looked studly in RF the last two ST's when I saw him. Oh well, 3 outta 5 aint bad either.

California Sox
02-22-2006, 11:52 PM
I gotta think Sweeney's fielding should have been mentioned as a plus tool also, he looked studly in RF the last two ST's when I saw him. Oh well, 3 outta 5 aint bad either.

I think the concern with Sweeney is some funky routes he takes to balls. I've seen him the last two STs as well and he's made some fantastic catches and looked lost out there at times as well. I'd say scouts would probably give him slightly above average speed (that will diminish over time) and average glove.

Randar68
02-23-2006, 11:00 AM
I think the concern with Sweeney is some funky routes he takes to balls. I've seen him the last two STs as well and he's made some fantastic catches and looked lost out there at times as well. I'd say scouts would probably give him slightly above average speed (that will diminish over time) and average glove.

And yet I've seen Sweeney play CF in the minors and he's a much more instinctive and better OF'er in the minors than Aaron Rowand ever was in his minor league career.

He's a better RF'er than Magglio.

KRS1
02-23-2006, 03:22 PM
In this article on BA, they have a best and worst top 10 they have picked so far. Number 8 on the list, yup you guessed it Pablo Ozuna. Here's the quote...........

Worst No. 8: Pablo Ozuna, ss, Marlins (1999). Just as our No. 8 picks haven't been spectacularly good, they haven't been horribly bad, either. Ozuna is the worst, and he too earned his lofty status with a bogus age. The Marlins later discovered that he was 24 rather than 20 when they got him in the Edgar Renteria trade that winter.

Well sounds like he was only on the list because of the age they though he was made him a good bet for upside. He had some huge steal numbers in his minor league career, so that probably boosted him some too, but he never really swiped bags at a succesful rate. Oh well, I'm sure the sting will fade(I know he could care less) for him the second he slips that WS ring on his finger.

KRS1
02-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Here's the quote.

24. BOBBY JENKS, rhp, White Sox "I think he's got the mentality to be an outstanding closer. When you throw the ball 100 miles an hour and then command a wicked breaking ball, I don't think you need much more."
--Birmingham manager Razor Shines

Oh yeah, that guy Chris something or other was named #23, one ahead of Bobby.

23. CHRIS YOUNG, of, Diamondbacks "This guy is getting it quick. Just from spring training till now, it's amazing the adjustments he's made."
--Birmingham manager Razor Shines