PDA

View Full Version : Honoring Minnie

SoxSideIrish
02-22-2006, 10:39 PM
I don't know if it's been posted yet, but I read a great article on SI.com about why Minnie Minoso should be inducted into the HOF. Great stuff, nice to see such a well written tribute. I hope he gets in.

Linky Link McLinkerson (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/alex_belth/02/22/minnie.minoso/index.html)

mccombe_35
02-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Great article. Thank you for the link. Minnie should have been in the HOF long ago.......

TheDarkGundam
02-22-2006, 11:33 PM
Good article!
Let's hope he can get in the Hall. He deserves it.
I found this interesting: Minnie became a member of the Sox on April 30th, 1951. I was born April 30th 1988. Same day, different year. I thought it was kind of interesting.

ode to veeck
02-23-2006, 12:41 AM
there's been many threads on this already, but that's one damn good article on Minnie. Behind O'Neil, who's a likely shoe in in the upcoming vote, Minnie is arguably the next closest among the special nominees and certainly deserves it

lostletters
02-23-2006, 01:14 AM
I am thinking Minnie will get in. He has been the ambassador for the White Sox in good times and bad times. In some ways he is representative of the team itself over the years, under the radar and with no respect from anybody outside of the fans.

I have been noticing though a vast majority of the advocacy articles for the negro league players by the national press, have been for Minnie above every other player, which means people who are not life long sox fans are realizing his importance. So I think he has a very good shot. The fact that he has been such a good will ambassador for baseball and the white sox, is only going to help his case. Plus I think it will cap off "the best year ever" for White Sox fans before the regular season starts. Minnie deserves it. No matter who has been listing players, it seems Minoso always seems to make the list.

Plus only two of the players are alive, and there is a benefit to voting in the two living players, in that they can give an induction speach.

HomeFish
02-23-2006, 02:09 AM
Would he wear a negro league cap or an MLB cap if inducted?

Wsoxmike59
02-23-2006, 07:11 AM
When you look at Minnie's numbers, combined with the years lost due to segregation and racism in baseball, Minoso's career is definitely HOF worthy.

I never got to see Minoso play in his prime, but my father had told me he was really a 5 tool player and the catalyst of the Go-Go Sox offense.

Everyone on the Sox knew their job, Aparicio, Fox and Landis were exceptional at manufacturing runs. Lollar was a great RBI guy. But Minoso could do it all. Hit for average, hit for power, drive in runs and steal bases.

I hope Minnie is voted in to the Hall. He has been overlooked for far too long.

ode to veeck
02-23-2006, 09:28 AM
I don't know if this has been asked before, but with Minnie readily available, has Lip considered or tried to do a WSI interview with him?

we be jake
02-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the link, Irish. Good points made in the article. It will be a travesty if Minnie is not inducted. I saw him play when I was a kid and saw him on the tube as well. He lit up the park, just with his presence like no other ballplayer since. Here's hoping that the voters will do the right thing for a change. I guess we'll never see Nellie get in the hall, but we'd better get Minnie. :cool: we be jake

ewokpelts
02-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Would he wear a negro league cap or an MLB cap if inducted?Most likely a sox hat, since that's the team(in any league) he's spent the most time with......and considering that the sox are the only team to give him a statue, the hall might go with them....

Gene

ewokpelts
02-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the link, Irish. Good points made in the article. It will be a travesty if Minnie is not inducted. I saw him play when I was a kid and saw him on the tube as well. He lit up the park, just with his presence like no other ballplayer since. Here's hoping that the voters will do the right thing for a change. I guess we'll never see Nellie get in the hall, but we'd better get Minnie. :cool: we be jake
Jake,
Nellie DID make the hall. In 1997.

Gene

SoxSideIrish
02-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Jake,
Nellie DID make the hall. In 1997.

GeneThank God someone else picked up on that. I thought I imagined the whole thing...whew! :o:

I really enjoyed that article. It's rare to find an article like this coming out of the major media outlets. I would almost call it unbiased, except that it's extremely biased...towards Minnie!

maurice
02-23-2006, 01:09 PM
I read a great article on SI.com about why Minnie Minoso should be inducted into the HOF.

Unfortunately, you'll never see anything like this from the Chicago media because (1) Minoso played for the Sox and (2) he's not a self-promoting media whore like Santo.

Hitmen77
02-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Unfortunately, you'll never see anything like this from the Chicago media because (1) Minoso played for the Sox and (2) he's not a self-promoting media whore like Santo.

:santo "but I'm a beloved Chicago legend!"

russ99
02-24-2006, 01:15 PM
I really enjoyed that article. It's rare to find an article like this coming out of the major media outlets. I would almost call it unbiased, except that it's extremely biased...towards Minnie!

That was a nice press release from the Sox yesterday on Minnie Minoso and the HOF voting on Sunday and Monday. I'm hoping that Minnie finally makes it into the Hall. Jerry's and Ozzie's quotes were excellent.

ewokpelts
02-24-2006, 03:37 PM
That was a nice press release from the Sox yesterday on Minnie Minoso and the HOF voting on Sunday and Monday. I'm hoping that Minnie finally makes it into the Hall. Jerry's and Ozzie's quotes were excellent.i doubt the ozzie quote.....not what he said...but how coherent it was
Gene

dugwood31
02-24-2006, 11:31 PM
It's about time Minnie's getting his due. If you add on a few seasons that he lost, he's a no doubter for the HOF.

Lip Man 1
02-25-2006, 01:30 PM
As is Billy Pierce.

Lip

tick53
02-25-2006, 01:51 PM
It's too bad that the article did not mention the statue of Minnie. Great
peice though:minnie Caught Buck O'Neil on Trib Live last night, what a guy. 94 years old and sharp as ever. He and Minnie both deserve
the HOF. Thanks Irish!!!