PDA

View Full Version : Vin Scully signs for 3 more years

Fenway
02-22-2006, 08:43 PM
This will be his 57th season with the Dodgers going back to Brooklyn. That is a record almost certain to last forever. I can not think of any broadcaster who has been with the same team for 50 plus years. Ernie Harwell I think was 40 plus with the Tigers.

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060221&content_id=1318134&vkey=news_la&fext=.jsp&c_id=la

Brian26
02-22-2006, 08:52 PM
That is a record almost certain to last forever.

That record will never be broken, most likely because no broadcaster will ever get a chance to do radio or tv play-by-play at such a young age as Scully started at. He must have been in his early 20's when he started with Brooklyn? Who's going to get a lead job coming out of college with an MLB team? It took Willsy years to just get a job with the D-Rays.

Fenway
02-22-2006, 08:56 PM
That record will never be broken, most likely because no broadcaster will ever get a chance to do radio or tv play-by-play at such a young age as Scully started at. He must have been in his early 20's when he started with Brooklyn? Who's going to get a lead job coming out of college with an MLB team? It took Willsy years to just get a job with the D-Rays.

Scully replaced Ernie Harwell in Brooklyn in 1950 :o: (Harwell taking the Giants job)
http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/la/history/broadcasters.jsp

Brian26
02-22-2006, 10:02 PM
Scully replaced Ernie Harwell in Brooklyn in 1950 :o: (Harwell taking the Giants job)
http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/la/history/broadcasters.jsp

Jerry Doggett had a heck of a run too, didn't he? '56 to '87.

34 Inch Stick
02-23-2006, 11:41 AM
I hope I can be thinking three years into my future at the are of 78.

Baby Fisk
02-23-2006, 11:44 AM
Also remarkable is that Scully presently works solo. Does any other current broadcaster work solo?

eriqjaffe
02-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Also remarkable is that Scully presently works solo. Does any other current broadcaster work solo?Not that I can think of. I'd love it if Chris Berman worked solo. Solo that I couldn't hear him.

longshot7
02-23-2006, 12:16 PM
And I think it needs pointing out, Scully is still the best in the business. Listening to him call a game is truly a magical experience - I only wish that he did more than 2 innings on the radio. That's where I think he truly shines.

mike squires
02-23-2006, 12:17 PM
I was hoiping you were going to say he signed for 3 years as World Series announcer for Fox. Now that would be awesome. Can you imagine how even more eventful the Sox series would have been with him behind the mic?

Hitmen77
02-23-2006, 09:04 PM
I was hoiping you were going to say he signed for 3 years as World Series announcer for Fox. Now that would be awesome. Can you imagine how even more eventful the Sox series would have been with him behind the mic?

He already announced 1 Sox world series - in 1959! That's another testament to his longevity in broadcasting.

thomas35forever
02-23-2006, 10:15 PM
If only Rooney could've stuck around for that long. I wonder how he called A.J.'s walk-off homer against his team.

mike squires
02-24-2006, 12:37 AM
If only Rooney could've stuck around for that long. I wonder how he called A.J.'s walk-off homer against his team.

I' guessing his call was more enthusiastic for his home teams loss than Buck's was for the nuetral team (Sox) for the entire series.

I remember hearing Joe McConnell calling a homerun by a BoSox against the Sox in 82. It was hard to tell who he was cheering for.

And say what you want about Chris Berman, at least he showed some enthusiasm for his calls for the Sox during the ALCS.

gobears1987
02-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Has anyone seen the Arli$$ episode when he is trying to get the Dodgers to re-sign their elderly broadcaster. It's obviously Scully, but they didn't use his name. It was a good episode, but it was actually one of the saddest episodes I saw of the show.

Stoky44
02-24-2006, 11:25 AM

Scully is truly great. The only thing is I heard he doesn't like to travel much anymore. He does not go to road games out of the west division. He was not here for AJ's walk off. But I would love for Vin to make an exception and do the WS. That would be awesome. One of the great things about going to Dodger Stadium is bringing a radio and listening to Vin for the first 3 innnings. Other great thing about Dodger Stadium is Nancy there organist, thought she is not as good as our Nancy. But they tend to play a lot of "traditional baseball music" with a lot of organ play. I really like to watch a game at Dodger Stadium. Plus you can get into the park for like $6 in the top seats and parking is only $10, thought getting out of the lot on a sell out is a bitch, takes like an hour. Side note, when they play "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" they play it twice in a row (not at 2 different points in the game), its kind of strange to have it heard twice.

NoNeckEra
02-24-2006, 11:57 AM
I remember hearing Joe McConnell calling a homerun by a BoSox against the Sox in 82. It was hard to tell who he was cheering for.
Many moons ago(I think it was '69) Curt Gowdy, who just died last week at 86, was doing a rare prime time NBC game when the Sox were at Boston.
We were floundering that year(imagine that), and trailing by a few runs in the eighth, when Carlos May(good old #17) hit a grand slam right around the Pesky pole in right and the Sox pulled off the surprise win. Gowdy was the long time red sox announcer, but for this national game, was doing his best to be impartial, until, that is, May's blast. He was really noticeably pissed.
When you're 14 years old(as I was then) and all that matters in your life is the Sox, it's a memory that sticks with you.

Hagan
02-24-2006, 12:22 PM
I am so happy to hear this news! He is my favorite broadcaster.