PDA

View Full Version : Touching the Trophy

kingpin_rcs
02-22-2006, 09:16 PM
This may seem like a weird thread but here it goes...

Living on the west coast, I have not had the opportunity to see the world series trophy up close. On the video of the "Sox Pride" premere that I saw on MLB.com they showed serveral people getting their pictures taken with the trophy (as many, mnay others have done). One thing I noticed was that nobody ever touched the trophy. For those who have been to see the trophy, is there somebody there that says you are not allowed to touch it?

I don't know. Mabey I don't know what I'm talking about but I think I would be very tempted to touch the trophy. It reminds me of what captian Picard said about tactile contact in "Star Trek:First Contact"

JohnBasedowYoda
02-22-2006, 09:25 PM
A general rule with trophies you can touch it all you want provided it touches you first.

leens01
02-22-2006, 09:26 PM
When I saw it, there were local policemen there as well as the people who took it to the different spots. I think I was told about five times not to touch it and to move quickly. It was all very friendly, but touching was out of the question.

WikdChiSoxFan
02-22-2006, 09:43 PM
When I saw it, there were local policemen there as well as the people who took it to the different spots. I think I was told about five times not to touch it and to move quickly. It was all very friendly, but touching was out of the question.

That's funny, I think I had similar experience at a strip club.

Sox35th
02-23-2006, 12:40 AM
That's funny, I think I had similar experience at a strip club.

Me too!! :o:

mike squires
02-23-2006, 12:44 AM
There is a sign at the entry saying they want to keep it nice so people for generations to come can enjoy the trophy. That being said, while getting our picture taken my 2 year old daughter reached out and touched it as my wife held her. We will always be able to tell her, she touched it!!

Scottiehaswheels
02-23-2006, 01:07 AM
There is a sign at the entry saying they want to keep it nice so people for generations to come can enjoy the trophy. That being said, while getting our picture taken my 2 year old daughter reached out and touched it as my wife held her. We will always be able to tell her, she touched it!!

The optimist in me says by the time she's old enough to care it won't be that big a deal anymore... after our 7th or 8th trophy in a row and all... :D:

Hangar18
02-23-2006, 09:00 AM
You cant touch it.

skottyj242
02-23-2006, 11:34 AM
I held it, and got a picture kissing it in city hall.

ewokpelts
02-23-2006, 11:36 AM
You cant touch it.if security's light, you can...oh yes, you can.....

alohafri
02-23-2006, 11:43 AM
You cant touch it.

I had my picture taken with it at the Sox-Bulls Acadamy and discreetly touched it. I don't think anyone noticed, but I did. :D:

Sell Jerry Sell!
02-23-2006, 11:44 AM
my friend go married in the stadium club in November and him and his bride were able to take pictures with the trophy and they both were able to touch it, as a matter of fact they both kissed it

mike squires
02-23-2006, 11:58 AM
I mean, really, what are the gonna do if you do touch it. Carry you out in handcuffs? Of course I wouldn't just out of respect but if you wanted to touch it you could.

Mendoza Line
02-23-2006, 12:02 PM
You cant touch it.

STOP!!! Hammertime :bandance:

rookieroy
02-23-2006, 12:23 PM
I touched it and security wasn't too thrilled with me!

Quick story. My wife and I had a work holiday party on one of the ships at Navy Pier on December 6th. Got there early around 4:00pm and knew the trophy would be there. They just set it up and NOBODY was around except for a security guard and us. I walked up to the side of the table the trophy was on, leaned over the rope, put my arms around it and my wife took a picture. I walked to the other side and did the same. The security guard came up to me, grabbed me by the arm and said I shouldn't have touched it. He's right because what would have happened if the damn table was unsturdy and the trophy fell off or something? :o: Didn't think of that stuff...I was just thrilled to be with it. Anyway, you'd think I would have developed the film by now. I will this weekend and will try to post the pictures here if I can. I hope the picture turns out!.

skottyj242
02-23-2006, 12:27 PM
If I knew how to work a scanner I would put my picture up too.

Garland_IS_God
02-23-2006, 12:30 PM
My dad is a Cook County Sheriff and was part of the brigade that brought the trophy from The Cell to Northwestern Hospital. His friend, who is a retired Chicago Police Commander was in a car crash and paralyzed from the waist down, was a patient at Northwestern. He's one of the biggest Sox fans that I know, so they purposely brought the trophy there for him to see. He was able to hold the trophy and get some pictures with it as well. Long story short, my dad and his buddy were lucky cause they were able to hold the trophy.

bludupree
02-23-2006, 12:34 PM
I've touched it , held it, kissed it, and held it over my head like M.B. I can not disclose details but I have pics (which I would show people but not post).

koch44
02-23-2006, 12:38 PM
I mean, really, what are the gonna do if you do touch it. Carry you out in handcuffs?

I'm gonna find out on Saturday!

skottyj242
02-23-2006, 12:56 PM
I've touched it , held it, kissed it, and held it over my head like M.B. I can not disclose details but I have pics (which I would show people but not post).

That's a good point, I think if someone saw my pics people could get in trouble.

bludupree
02-23-2006, 12:59 PM
My dad is a Cook County Sheriff and was part of the brigade that brought the trophy from The Cell to Northwestern Hospital. His friend, who is a retired Chicago Police Commander was in a car crash and paralyzed from the waist down, was a patient at Northwestern. He's one of the biggest Sox fans that I know, so they purposely brought the trophy there for him to see. He was able to hold the trophy and get some pictures with it as well. Long story short, my dad and his buddy were lucky cause they were able to hold the trophy.

Is your dad's friend Joe Murphy? It sounds like it. My dad grew up with him and has been friends with him for years. Did you catch when Hawk said he was praying for him on the air?

sageofthesox
02-24-2006, 11:14 AM
My family went to Springfield for President's Day weekend. On Sunday, the trophy was on display at the local U.S. Cell dealer. There aren't throngs of White Sox fans here in downstate Illinois so we got to spend several minutes with the trophy. As the attendant was taking pictures for us, he asked me to get a little closer to the trophy. We each had individuals taken with the trophy and our reflections within the base of the trophy show up in the photos.

We stayed and talked with the trophy crew for a while and ogled over the trophy.

This all goes to prove that the farther you travel into downstate Illinois, the more hassle-free life becomes.

soxjim
02-24-2006, 10:39 PM
I will be seeing the trophy in DeKalb on March 4th. Will be getting pictures taken with it and my family. Even though I will have a big splint on my hand from surgery that Tuesday. I could care less. The SOX are WS Champions!

soxfanreggie
02-25-2006, 10:15 AM
I have to give the Sox Trophy Crew credit. They handed out free Krispy Kreme donuts and free starbucks coffee. Definitely have to love that.

The trophy did bump into me though...darn trophy...forcing me to touch it! :rolleyes:

koch44
02-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Went to see it today, very different from my experience in Deerfield. In Deerfield there was a line so we were rushed through, today in Macomb I got to take as many photos as I wanted.:smile:

bahn1225
02-25-2006, 11:17 PM
I know it's suppose to be in Galesburg and the Quad Cities soon.
Can anyone tell me where I can find a schedule for the trophy appearences?

ChiSoxGirl
02-25-2006, 11:49 PM
I know it's suppose to be in Galesburg and the Quad Cities soon.
Can anyone tell me where I can find a schedule for the trophy appearences?

This link will help you! (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/trophy_tour.jsp) :smile:

FoulTerritory
02-26-2006, 11:25 AM
I have to give the Sox Trophy Crew credit. They handed out free Krispy Kreme donuts and free starbucks coffee. Definitely have to love that.

The trophy did bump into me though...darn trophy...forcing me to touch it! :rolleyes:

I was at the B/N showing as well, and has a similar experience as you. the base of the trophy smacked right into my fingers.

really enjoyed the Krispy kreams too! But don't forget that the butchers from the adjacent meat shop were giving out meat and cheese samples. never forget the butchers!

Garland_IS_God
02-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Is your dad's friend Joe Murphy? It sounds like it. My dad grew up with him and has been friends with him for years. Did you catch when Hawk said he was praying for him on the air?

Yeah it is Joe Murphy. No I must have missed that game cause I didnt hear that. Thats pretty cool that they did that,

UofCSoxFan
02-26-2006, 02:24 PM

This is similar to when you see the Liberty Bell in Phily. You can take as many pictures by it that you want but there are armed National Park Rangers that don't encourage touching it, basically to preserve it for future generations.

Dan Mega
02-27-2006, 09:04 AM
As Hammer said, you can't touch it.