PDA

View Full Version : No threads on Jerry Owens?

caulfield12
02-22-2006, 05:07 PM
There must have been three different articles today in the newspapers (along with Iguchi stories) about his weak arm and the controversy that was created when he left his Venezuelan League team.

From KWs very direct comments (of two weeks ago), it would seem he has almost no chance to be a CF here, simply because of arm strength. The only way he could POTENTIALLY play would be moving Pods back to CF, and I am not sure we can sacrifice that much power. Sure, if Owens hit .350 for the Sox, it wouldnt matter, but I would expect something closer to .260 or .270, and that just would not justify the move when Anderson in CF and Pods in LF is a much better defensive alignment and gives us 20-25 homer potential in a position (CF) without many natural home run hitters at the MLB level.

kravdog
02-22-2006, 09:17 PM
There must have been three different articles today in the newspapers (along with Iguchi stories) about his weak arm and the controversy that was created when he left his Venezuelan League team.

From KWs very direct comments (of two weeks ago), it would seem he has almost no chance to be a CF here, simply because of arm strength. The only way he could POTENTIALLY play would be moving Pods back to CF, and I am not sure we can sacrifice that much power. Sure, if Owens hit .350 for the Sox, it wouldnt matter, but I would expect something closer to .260 or .270, and that just would not justify the move when Anderson in CF and Pods in LF is a much better defensive alignment and gives us 20-25 homer potential in a position (CF) without many natural home run hitters at the MLB level.

how many years do you think pods has in those legs? what happens in right after this season? there will be corners open soon enough..

lostletters
02-23-2006, 01:47 AM
I see Owens as a bench player more then a regular player. A player with good speed off the bench. Eventually he may become a starter, but I just do not see that happening in the near future.

Domeshot17
02-23-2006, 02:09 AM
Just an Fyi, because some people seem to forget this, pods is only in his 4th year, however he is pretty old for a 4th year player because he broke the majors so late. Owens will be this years McCarthy. Get a good long look, next year split time with Pods, and take over in 2008 with an OF of Owens Anderson and Sweeney with my minor league dark horse Mike Spidale as the 4th of.

White Sox Randy
02-23-2006, 09:02 AM
Owens future is as a 4th outfielder, most likely.

The best that he could hope for would be to become Pods....maybe start in left field but because of his defense and arm, he would have to bat .300 with a .350+ obp and steal 30 bases.

Maybe he could be that in a couple of years when Pods slows down.

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Just an Fyi, because some people seem to forget this, pods is only in his 4th year, however he is pretty old for a 4th year player because he broke the majors so late. Owens will be this years McCarthy. Get a good long look, next year split time with Pods, and take over in 2008 with an OF of Owens Anderson and Sweeney with my minor league dark horse Mike Spidale as the 4th of.Podsednik isn't exactly Julio Franco. He turns 30 next month, so he's got a few good years left in him. The consensus seems to be that Owens needs another year in the minors, but you never know - he might develop faster than expected. He might get a callup during the season in the right circumstances. After that, who knows? Podsednik will be arbitration-eligible after 2006.

34 Inch Stick
02-23-2006, 12:49 PM
Dye becomes a free agent aftert the year. If he has another season similar to last year someone will sign him to a big contract that the Sox will not match. Upon signing last year he stated that he signed for less than other teams were offering. A rebirth of power and a WS MVP will only strengthen his position.

I think KW is projecting Owens in the outfield next year along with Podsednik and Anderson.

maurice
02-23-2006, 01:02 PM
I think KW is projecting Owens in the outfield next year along with Podsednik and Anderson.

:o:
Anderson is the only one with a plus arm and would leave us with a sub-standard CF (either Podsednik or Owens). No thanks.

Don't the Sox have an option on Dye? If so, they can keep him an extra year and see if Sweeney is ready, creating a potential 2008 OF of Owens - Anderson - Sweeney.

longshot7
02-23-2006, 01:27 PM
I aggree KW's comments on Owens don't seem to bode well for his future this year, but I predicted he'd win the ROTY and I'm sticking with that. If he can hit major league pitching somewhere near .300 and walk a good deal, I think he may fit what we'll need in a #2 hitter. Of course, it all depends on what Anderson does in reply - I trust Ozzie that the better player will be in CF, and despite the arm business, I think it will be Jerry.

Ol' No. 2
02-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Dye becomes a free agent aftert the year. If he has another season similar to last year someone will sign him to a big contract that the Sox will not match. Upon signing last year he stated that he signed for less than other teams were offering. A rebirth of power and a WS MVP will only strengthen his position.

I think KW is projecting Owens in the outfield next year along with Podsednik and Anderson.The Sox have a $6M option on Dye for 2007.

White Sox Randy
02-23-2006, 01:54 PM

This will not happen. That would be the weakest outfield in baseball.

caulfield12
02-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Just an Fyi, because some people seem to forget this, pods is only in his 4th year, however he is pretty old for a 4th year player because he broke the majors so late. Owens will be this years McCarthy. Get a good long look, next year split time with Pods, and take over in 2008 with an OF of Owens Anderson and Sweeney with my minor league dark horse Mike Spidale as the 4th of.

First of all, I do not think we will ever see Owens and Sweeney in the same outfield. Just not enough offensive firepower, and that is assuming Sweeney becomes an 18-20 homer type of hitter, like a Ben Grieve when he was ROY.

Unless Owens dramatically rebuilds his arm strength, he will have a hard time being a starting OF, UNLESS he can put up 40-60 steals per season like Pods.