PDA

View Full Version : Rowand still stunned but moving on

SoLongFrank
02-22-2006, 05:02 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060221rogers,1,237091.column?coll=cs-home-utility
"I know Kenny and his passion for winning. He felt he was put in a situation where he could better the team, and I understand that."

I think Rowand knows the simplicity of this trade. The White Sox are deep in the ml's in OFers. Amongst our starters (Pods, Rowand, Dye) the Phillies wanted Rowand the most. We needed more production from the DH position & no matter how you argue it it's more likely Thome will have many more AB's over the next 3 yrs than Thomas.

The only thing that bother's me still about this trade is was it really neccesary? Was Thome really the deciding factor in Konerko signing or would he have signed if say Kenny had inked Rondell White (MIN new DH) to a deal?

Of course I'm assuming that if Kenny had been upfront with Thomas on these 2 options Thomas would have accomodated the team salary wise so that the cost of himself & White was in range with what the White Sox would be paying Thome.

Pods, Uribe, (White+Thomas), Konerko, Dye, Iguchi, Rowand, AJ, Crede
vs
Pods, Uribe, Thome, Konerko, Dye, Iguchi, AJ, Crede, Anderson

I guess it comes down to how much you believe in Anderson.

Ol' No. 2
02-22-2006, 05:04 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060221rogers,1,237091.column?coll=cs-home-utility
"I know Kenny and his passion for winning. He felt he was put in a situation where he could better the team, and I understand that."

I think Rowand knows the simplicity of this trade. The White Sox are deep in the ml's in OFers. Amongst our starters (Pods, Rowand, Dye) the Phillies wanted Rowand the most. We needed more production from the DH position & no matter how you argue it it's more likely Thome will have many more AB's over the next 3 yrs than Thomas.

The only thing that bother's me still about this trade is was it really neccesary? Was Thome really the deciding factor in Konerko signing or would he have signed if say Kenny had inked Rondell White (MIN new DH) to a deal?

Of course I'm assuming that if Kenny had been upfront with Thomas on these 2 options Thomas would have accomodated the team salary wise so that the cost of himself & White was in range with what the White Sox would be paying Thome.

Pods, Uribe, (White+Thomas), Konerko, Dye, Iguchi, Rowand, AJ, Crede
vs
Pods, Uribe, Thome, Konerko, Dye, Iguchi, AJ, Crede, Anderson

I guess it comes down to how much you believe in Anderson.Ron "DL" White? :thud:

MUsoxfan
02-22-2006, 05:21 PM
I don't think Rowand has worn a Sox uniform for the last time

SOXPHILE
02-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Ron "DL" White? :thud:

:rolling:

No, really, he's not serious about Rondell White...is he ?:?:

ondafarm
02-22-2006, 05:27 PM
The White Sox did win last year, often on the slimmest of margins. I know a horde of statisticans who are decrying the White Sox's luck last year. I think good management and team dedication and having one heck of a solid starting pitching rotation, go a long ways towards bringing you luck.

Adding Thome, a bona fide left-handed power hitter, and resigning Konerko give the White Sox a solid 3-4 punch with the lefty-righty thing going to boot. (And no, I'm not answering those few idiots here who think Konerko will hit third.) Boston won the pennant two years ago and competed very respectably last year with this type of line-up and a mediocre pitching staff. With a solid pitching staff, better defense and a powerful line-up, the White Sox should be the favorites to repeat this year.

As to Rowand being traded. The Sox minors have several good outfield prospects moving up and Ozzie has seen Anderson play defense. It is a gamble that the kid's occasional struggles will iron out but the Sox aren't hopeless if they don't and they have the luxury of not putting any pressure on him this year.

Rowand's trade value was as high as it was going to get. His defense won't improve any more and his offense seems to have topped out. He's a good player, but replaceable. Thome is a solid offensive upgrade and may have star caliber years left in him.

I like Rowand, but I love this deal and can't say I'm at all surprised by it.

oeo
02-22-2006, 05:40 PM
The only thing that bother's me still about this trade is was it really neccesary?

Yes, we needed left-handed power, and we got that in Thome. We DO have Brian Anderson, don't forget about him. I think a lot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised with his performance.

SoLongFrank
02-22-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm well aware of his history on the DL. He's very breakable when he fields a position. But for what I know he's never suffered a serious injury requiring major surgery & he always seems to get healthy for the opening of the season.

I think the risk of his landing on the DL drops considerably when you are using him solely as a DH. Minny's obviously thinking the same thing.

I have no problem with Thome. I've always marveled his talent even when he was with CLE. Any time he was up at USCF I was on pins & needles. I can't even imagine what it will be like rooting for him now. But I just wish we could have kept Rowand. Ok so Philly didn't want Dye or Pods so much. But what if we had offered one of our high OF prospects with Dye? Maybe not.

I've just not seen enough of Anderson to believe he can do the things in the field that Rowand did consistently. I'm a little worried that this change could bite us on the inning ending plays Rowand was famous for.

Of course thinking back on it I imagine I said the same thing when we traded Cameron. The White Sox have a midas touch when it comes to picking OFers. Who's to say Anderson isn't another star in the making?

You can clearly tell I'm conflicted over the loss of Rowand.

MUsoxfan
02-22-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm well aware of his history on the DL. He's very breakable when he fields a position. But for what I know he's never suffered a serious injury requiring major surgery & he always seems to get healthy for the opening of the season.

Just in time to get hurt again for the All-Star break

ssirish317
02-22-2006, 06:05 PM
The shocking trade from the White Sox to the Philadelphia Phillies, consummated only one month after Rowand had helped deliver a World Series victory to a city that hadn't won one since 1918,

Wrong color Sox, Phil.

Ol' No. 2
02-22-2006, 06:06 PM
:rolling:

No, really, he's not serious about Rondell White...is he ?:?:Why get Jim Thome when we could have gotten Rondell White and kept Aaron Rowand?:rolleyes:

SBSoxFan
02-22-2006, 06:25 PM
We needed more production from the DH position & no matter how you argue it it's more likely Thome will have many more AB's over the next 3 yrs than Thomas.
I'd say it's extremely likely. It has to be easier for a guy who weighs 270 to return from back and shoulder problems than from two broken bones in his foot. Also, Thome will play some first base. I don't think Frank will for fear of him getting hurt. If he does play the field, Frank would be a major defensive liability at this point.

ode to veeck
02-22-2006, 07:45 PM
we miss you too A-Rone

caulfield12
02-22-2006, 08:44 PM

I think the risk of his landing on the DL drops considerably when you are using him solely as a DH. Minny's obviously thinking the same thing.

I have no problem with Thome. I've always marveled his talent even when he was with CLE. Any time he was up at USCF I was on pins & needles. I can't even imagine what it will be like rooting for him now. But I just wish we could have kept Rowand. Ok so Philly didn't want Dye or Pods so much. But what if we had offered one of our high OF prospects with Dye? Maybe not.

I've just not seen enough of Anderson to believe he can do the things in the field that Rowand did consistently. I'm a little worried that this change could bite us on the inning ending plays Rowand was famous for.

Of course thinking back on it I imagine I said the same thing when we traded Cameron. The White Sox have a midas touch when it comes to picking OFers. Who's to say Anderson isn't another star in the making?

You can clearly tell I'm conflicted over the loss of Rowand.

I think this trade all along was about Rowand or Anderson, and the Sox decided to keep Anderson over Rowand. Maybe I am wrong, but the White Sox must have looked at Anderson as Rowand´s equal defensively....second, as a player with more home run and extra base potential (yes, Rowand had tons of doubles in 2004)....and, finally, a much cheaper player for the Sox to hold onto, because Rowand will be making a lot of money in 2007 and 2008, and the White Sox would prefer the cheaper Anderson and using that surplus on pitching.

Dye would have made no sense for the Phillies, unless they were giving up Abreu´s salary back in return. They already have Burrell...they needed a CF, and I highly doubt they considered Pods the CF they needed (defensively). Then again, they had a forever aging Kenny Lofton out there for much of last season.

Deebs14
02-22-2006, 09:09 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if he's under the same impression.

ChiSoxGirl
02-22-2006, 10:50 PM
we miss you too A-Rone

I read this article this morning and felt my eyes well with tears just a little bit. The very last paragraph is what got to me:

He didn't put them away until after the greatest celebration of all. This winter he packed the sweatbands (still unwashed), his World Series jersey and bat into a storage box as his own personal treasure. It was time to close that chapter, like it or not.

He misses the organization and the players so much that you can't help but feel for the guy!

Domeshot17
02-23-2006, 02:04 AM
You have got to be kidding with Rondell White and Frank

With Thome you have a real shot at 280 400 obp 40 home runs and 120 rbis.
(BTW I agree Thome hits 3rd because he is a beast in terms of OBP and OPS)

With Rondell White and Thomas, you have 2 guys who are going to be on the DL during the year, and then you pray they dont get hurt at the same time and their 15 day trips alternate. Moreover, white+thomas for a year probably wont equal Thome. Anderson was choosen over Aaron because Aaron had peaked. You knew you were going to get about 270 16 70 out of Aaron and great D. With Anderson (the sox best defensive prospect according to baseball america) you have a kid who has the potential to have Aarons D with 280 25 90+ in 2 years.

Plus if he pulls a borchard and Owens and Sweeney get a shot. Kenny was faced with a very tough call, keep the team together and have a tough time repeating, or put the pedal to the floor, cut ties with the weaker of the core, and have a greater chance to repeat.

I promise if the sox repeat, you will feel much better then you would if they kept Aaron and Frank and got Rondell ( im still laughing about the thought) and missed the playoffs.

My thoughts on Rondell can be summed up on this. Few years ago, he was suppose to be the cubs missing link. Anyone who is brought in as the cubs missing link will have no place on a white sox roster.

TheOldRoman
02-23-2006, 03:14 AM
Why get Jim Thome when we could have gotten Rondell White and kept Aaron Rowand?:rolleyes:
And why sign Rondell White when Kenny could just stack several million dollars into a pile and set in on fire?

Scottiehaswheels
02-23-2006, 03:21 AM
And why sign Rondell White when Kenny could just stack several million dollars into a pile and set in on fire?

HAHAHA thats a bonfire I wouldn't mind going to....

LongLiveFisk
02-23-2006, 10:41 AM

That's what I was thinking too, and I hope we're right. I really like Aaron. :D:

ondafarm
02-23-2006, 11:33 AM
HAHAHA thats a bonfire I wouldn't mind going to....

Only if I bring a fire extinguisher !!!