PDA

View Full Version : Chad Bentz

Wsoxmike59
02-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Joe Cowley of the Daily Southtown had a great piece written about left handed pitcher Chad Bentz vying for a spot on the Sox roster. I was surprised to find out that the reliever was born without a right hand. Good luck Chad, I'm rooting for you Big Guy!

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/211sd1.htm

Chad Bentz never has looked for sympathy.

He's not hoping for special treatment or a free pass.

The way the left-handed reliever sees it, the only thing he wants is a fair chance.

He has come to the right place.

Bentz is one of eight lefties the White Sox have brought to spring training to compete for a spot in the bullpen. Unlike the other seven, however, Bentz stands out whether he wants to or not.
Like former major league pitcher Jim Abbott, Bentz was born with a birth defect that requires him to pitch and field with the same hand.

soxfanatlanta
02-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Great article. You can't help but root for the guy.

ManagerMark
02-22-2006, 12:12 PM
This thread kind of ties in with my thread "overload of pitching?" because there are so many stories with the different pitchers vying for one of one or two spots left that it will be a shame to see a guy like Chad come in and seemingly win a spot only to be edged out by a guy a little younger and more promising. This scenario could repeat several times with this year's crop of hopefulls.

santo=dorf
02-22-2006, 12:38 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060220/capt.ead3f310616e47919f04465fd1a83846.white_sox_sp ring_training_baseball_azca102.jpghttp://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060220/capt.c4e8cafd88da47fdbe45d41ad315be74.white_sox_sp ring_training_baseball_azca105.jpg

KRS1
02-22-2006, 02:57 PM
When I first saw Chad late last week, I though he would be tipping his pitches because he cant bury the ball in his mitt like most pitchers, but after watching him throw I was pleasantly surprised it isn't true. He hides the ball better than any lefty or right at camp, and has a deceptive motion on all his pitches. Coop seems to be working a lot on his breaking stuff, trying to get it tighter and less spinny. Also, Chad looks like he is improving his accuracy by day, and is really starting to impress me with his location on his fastball(his breakers, not so much).

thomas35forever
02-23-2006, 12:11 AM
I really hope Bentz makes the roster. It would be nice to see another Jim Abbot on the team and besides, we need another lefty in the bullpen. I'd like to hear about how he overcame his birth defect.

TDog
02-23-2006, 01:58 AM
Chad calls his deformed right hand his "birthmark." If it wasn't for his hand, he would be unique as someone who played his high school baseball in Alaska. Sports columnists in Juneau apparently have been writing about him since he hit a home run in Little League in 1993. If he makes the Sox, the local paper will treat the Sox like the local team.

He's a good man, and I wish him luck.

Scottiehaswheels
02-23-2006, 02:39 AM
Sports columnists in Juneau apparently have been writing about him since he hit a home run in Little League in 1993. If he makes the Sox, the local paper will treat the Sox like the local team.

If he makes the team, have your columnists bring down some of those Eskimo parka's for the April games. :smile: