PDA

View Full Version : TV schedule

Scottiehaswheels
02-22-2006, 05:45 AM
Does anyone know when the full regular season TV schedule is set to be released? If I remember correctly its normally the 2nd week of spring training right?

Kogs35
02-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Does anyone know when the full regular season TV schedule is set to be released? If I remember correctly its normally the 2nd week of spring training right?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/downloads/WhiteSox_Broadcast_Schedule_2006.pdf

bludupree
02-22-2006, 01:15 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/downloads/WhiteSox_Broadcast_Schedule_2006.pdf

I'm getting kinda sick of this "No TV" stuff that happens in Minnesota in September every year. There is a possibility that the game could be a very important one and we won't be able to see it. Something needs to be worked out with the networks cause it is total crap. Guess I'll just have to drive up there to see it.

Cat Thief
02-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Guess I'll just have to drive up there to see it.

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe it will be the clincher!

downstairs
02-22-2006, 01:42 PM
What the heck is with the NO TV day in September?

I've forgotten why they do that?

SouthSide_HitMen
02-22-2006, 01:43 PM
60 games will be on Free TV - over half on Wednesday & Saturday (and only 2 on Monday and zero on Thursday - good for fans of The Office).

:(:
2 - Monday
0 - Thursday

:o:

7 - Sunday
8 - Tuesday & Friday

:supernana:

16 - Wednesday
19 - Saturday

Total = 60 + Postseason!!!

Mickster
02-22-2006, 01:51 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Maybe it will be the clincher!

I hope it doesn't take them to 9/30 to clinch. :cool:

Cat Thief
02-22-2006, 02:11 PM
I hope it doesn't take them to 9/30 to clinch. :cool:

Me neither but if it does I will be happy.

anewman35
02-22-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm getting kinda sick of this "No TV" stuff that happens in Minnesota in September every year. There is a possibility that the game could be a very important one and we won't be able to see it. Something needs to be worked out with the networks cause it is total crap. Guess I'll just have to drive up there to see it.

People threw a big fit over this last year, and it ended up not mattering. A lot of teams don't have anywhere near 162 games broadcast, so we probably shouldn't complain.

Etownsox13
02-22-2006, 02:12 PM
What the heck is with the NO TV day in September?

I've forgotten why they do that?

I think that the reason for no t.v is because of the 11:10 start time. (which I believe is that early to accomidate a University of Minnesota football game in the evening

Kogs35
02-22-2006, 02:20 PM
(which I believe is that early to accomidate a University of Minnesota football game in the evening

you are correct

Stoky44
02-22-2006, 03:04 PM
I think that the reason for no t.v is because of the 11:10 start time. (which I believe is that early to accomidate a University of Minnesota football game in the evening

But what does it matter that the game starts at 11:10? Can MLB not televise games that early or something. All the sox press release said was: September 30 game at Minnesota as the only exception due to Major League Baseball blackout regulations. What are the black out regulations? Can somebody tell me?

mrfourni
02-22-2006, 03:07 PM
I may be wrong, but i think FOX has exclusive rights to broadcast baseball on Saturday afternoons

Is there any chance that either of the CUBS/SOX games get moved to ESPN Sunday night?

Iwritecode
02-22-2006, 03:09 PM
32 games I won't be able to see because they'll be on WCIU or CSN+ :whiner:

3 times they are back-to-back nights. :angry:

NoNeckEra
02-22-2006, 03:15 PM
I may be wrong, but i think FOX has exclusive rights to broadcast baseball on Saturday afternoons

Is there any chance that either of the CUBS/SOX games get moved to ESPN Sunday night?

This is correct. And the problem is, they can't start the game at 12:15 when Fox wants to, because they have to clear the field by 3pm to prep it for football. So the game time is in no man's land - Too early for Fox, but during their exclusivity time frame, which ends early afternoon.

ChiSoxGirl
02-22-2006, 03:44 PM
32 games I won't be able to see because they'll be on WCIU or CSN+ :whiner:

3 times they are back-to-back nights. :angry:

You think that's bad... I'm out 102 games because I don't have cable! :angry: Looks like more trips to the ballpark are in order for me; either that or trips to watering holes like Puffers to watch the games.

Kogs35
02-22-2006, 03:45 PM
This is correct. And the problem is, they can't start the game at 12:15 when Fox wants to, because they have to clear the field by 3pm to prep it for football. So the game time is in no man's land - Too early for Fox, but during their exclusivity time frame, which ends early afternoon.

actually there was a twins-rangers game once that was picked up by fox back a few years ago that was to start at 11. but once the rangers flapped they went for a whitesox-indians game instead.

Iwritecode
02-22-2006, 04:20 PM
You think that's bad... I'm out 102 games because I don't have cable! :angry: Looks like more trips to the ballpark are in order for me; either that or trips to watering holes like Puffers to watch the games.

Sounds like it would be cheaper to get cable...

jdm2662
02-22-2006, 04:52 PM
If the Twins fork the money for their own stadium, they won't have this issue. As long they keep using a publically financed stadium, the state can do what they want with it. I didn't get Sportsvision until it became part of basic cable in 1986. I'd take missing one game over 80 any day of the week...

chisoxfanatic
02-22-2006, 05:35 PM

My abode is always open to you unless I'm either at the game or out of town, Jen! I have cable TV with the ability to get 161 of the games. We should start a female Sox fan club or something!!!

gbergman
02-22-2006, 05:45 PM
we got a bunch of complainers here. i only get to see the white sox on ESPN, FOX, occasional WGN and FSNW when they play the halos, and sometimes mariners

downstairs
02-22-2006, 07:08 PM

Now I see.

Well, if my prediction that they'll go 162-0 this year comes true... betcha someone picks that up...

:cool:

Scottiehaswheels
02-22-2006, 11:49 PM
In regards to the WCIU games.... What are they gonna do when UPN and WCIU merge later this year? Isn't WCIU the local offshoot of the WB network? Will the new channel broadcast the Sox games and if so will those also be nationally broadcast?

SouthSide_HitMen
02-23-2006, 12:01 AM
In regards to the WCIU games.... What are they gonna do when UPN and WCIU merge later this year? Isn't WCIU the local offshoot of the WB network? Will the new channel broadcast the Sox games and if so will those also be nationally broadcast?

UPN (Channel 50) and WGN (Channel 9) will merge. WCIU (Channel 26) and METV (Channel 23) are owned by Weigel Communications (independent) and the new CW or CRAP or whatever they are calling it does not affect WCIU or their White Sox coverage.

Scottiehaswheels
02-23-2006, 12:04 AM
UPN (Channel 50) and WGN (Channel 9) will merge. WCIU (Channel 26) and METV (Channel 23) are owned by Weigel Communications (independent) and the new CW or CRAP or whatever they are calling it does not affect WCIU or their White Sox coverage.

Awesome thanks... wondered if that would help all these people that don't get WCIU... sorry folks

GoSox2K3
02-23-2006, 09:32 PM
we got a bunch of complainers here. i only get to see the white sox on ESPN, FOX, occasional WGN and FSNW when they play the halos, and sometimes mariners

Seriously!

It's 2006. If you don't want to pay for basic cable/satellite, then don't expect to get alot of major league games. Heck, even the Tribune's own team is getting only 70 or so games on WGN.

Personally, I'd be much happier if they just dumped all the WCIU games and moved them to Comcast SportsNet. The WCIU games have crappy picture quality and I feel that those games are "buried" on WCIU where no one put the die hard fans will find them.

GoSox2K3
02-23-2006, 09:34 PM

To clarify, the national networks UPN and the WB are merging with programming to be shown on WGN in Chicago. WGN-TV 9 and WPWR-TV 50 will continue to exist as separate entities.

SouthSide_HitMen
02-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Seriously!

It's 2006. If you don't want to pay for basic cable/satellite, then don't expect to get alot of major league games. Heck, even the Tribune's own team is getting only 70 or so games on WGN.

Personally, I'd be much happier if they just dumped all the WCIU games and moved them to Comcast SportsNet. The WCIU games have crappy picture quality and I feel that those games are "buried" on WCIU where no one put the die hard fans will find them.

The only bitching I see here are people who only get to watch 161 games (woe is me) and the people who can't get WCIU on High Definition (double woe).

I am grateful to watch the 60 games telecast on free TV and said so in my post above.

I also pay for MLB.TV and would pay extra for White Sox TV telecasts if they offered it.

I won't purchase cable because you cannot choose channels and there are several corporations I refuse to give my money to (and I pay Bud Selig with clinched teeth).

So here is the violin for your WCIU reception. :violin:

If you are old enough to remember the last time the White Sox abandoned free TV you will recall how a 50 / 50 town became a 66 cubs / 34 White Sox town in a generation. Becareful what you wish for.

GoSox2K3
02-23-2006, 09:58 PM
The only bitching I see here are people who only get to watch 161 games (woe is me) and the people who can't get WCIU on High Definition (double woe).

I am grateful to watch the 60 games telecast on free TV and said so in my post above.

I also pay for MLB.TV and would pay extra for White Sox TV telecasts if they offered it.

I won't purchase cable because you cannot choose channels:violin: and there are several corporations I refuse to give my money:violin: to (and I pay Bud Selig with clinched teeth):violin:.

So here is the violin for your WCIU reception.

If you are old enough to remember the last time the White Sox abandoned free TV you will recall how a 50 / 50 town became a 66 cubs / 34 White Sox town in a generation. Becareful what you wish for.

Love how you twisted that around to make it sound like I was complaining. Save the violins for yourself, jerk, it looks like you need at least 3.

Chicken Dinner
02-23-2006, 10:52 PM
A true fan would pay for cable or satelite or whatever it takes to watch the games.

chisoxfanatic
02-23-2006, 11:08 PM
A true fan would pay for cable or satelite or whatever it takes to watch the games.

You can't say that! There is one fan I know of here who I consider a good friend who does not have cable, and I wouldn't say she's any less of a fan as you or me. As long as you find some means to follow the game, you're a true fan in my book.

jehosaphat
02-23-2006, 11:29 PM

Sorry, but that is a stupid comment. Just in case you weren'ttrying to be funny, think about the guy in the public aid nursing home who has followed the Sox his whole life (I've heard Medicare won't pay for cable to watch Sox games - what is the nation coming to!) Point being, one cannot judge another's level of passion by whether or not they have cable.

Has anyone ever tried watching a game on the internet? Last year MLB enabled one to subscribe to the whole season - watch any game at any time on your computer. Because the radio frequency on AM 100 was bad where I live, I subscribed to the radio broadcast and it was sort of cool. Brought back memories as a kid searching the AM dial for games from places far away - on a clear night I could get the Braves, the Cardinals, and some other teams. Anyway, if anyone has viewed a game through the computer, how is it?

ClaudelSleptHere
02-23-2006, 11:53 PM
[quote=jehosaphat] Point being, one cannot judge another's level of passion by whether or not they have cable.

...or by the number of games they attend, or by the number of games they listen to on the radio, or by how much they spend on apparel, or by the number of posts on WSI (well, okay, maybe by the number of posts).

HotelWhiteSox
02-24-2006, 12:38 AM
Sorry, but that is a stupid comment. Just in case you weren'ttrying to be funny, think about the guy in the public aid nursing home who has followed the Sox his whole life (I've heard Medicare won't pay for cable to watch Sox games - what is the nation coming to!) Point being, one cannot judge another's level of passion by whether or not they have cable.

Has anyone ever tried watching a game on the internet? Last year MLB enabled one to subscribe to the whole season - watch any game at any time on your computer. Because the radio frequency on AM 100 was bad where I live, I subscribed to the radio broadcast and it was sort of cool. Brought back memories as a kid searching the AM dial for games from places far away - on a clear night I could get the Braves, the Cardinals, and some other teams. Anyway, if anyone has viewed a game through the computer, how is it?

Do you have a high speed connection? Well worth the money if you do. MLB.TV is great. Last year, I was able to get the 'No TV' early game against Minnesota.

SouthSide_HitMen
02-24-2006, 12:51 AM
It's 2006. If you don't want to pay for basic cable/satellite, then don't expect to get alot (sic) of major league games. Heck, even the Tribune's own team is getting only 70 or so games on WGN.

Personally, I'd be much happier if they just dumped all the WCIU games and moved them to Comcast SportsNet. The WCIU games have crappy picture quality and I feel that those games are "buried" on WCIU where no one put (sic) the die hard fans will find them.

Come again? You are the one bitching at people to not expect "alot" of major league games. I am happy they are televising 60 (and inserted banana dancer to show my happiness). One person was upset about the 60 games on TV and she is making other arrangements so I don't see who you were addressing your first point to.

As far as your second point, I guess I am one of the few diehards who is able to type 26 on my remote.

The White Sox should attempt to broadcast as many over the air games as possible if they want to continue to grow their fan base. One only needs to look at what happened to the shift in popularity in Chicago during the 1980s - 1990s after the White Sox shifted telecasts to Sportsvision with a few WFLD broadcasts. You can also look at the Chicago Blackhawks for an example of what happens to a once great franchise after taking their games off of television for over 30 seasons.

Chisoxfanatic and ClaudeSleptHere are correct - many people cannot afford cable, do not have access to cable, live out of the area or choose not to purchase cable.

As far as jehosaphat's question about the quality of MLB.TV broadcasts, I have broadband (a step below DSL) and the games are OK (though they come over in a lower quality than WCIU broadcast so for some it may be unbearable). You want to check to see whether you are blacked out before purchasing the plan. If you live in the Chicago area you will be blacked out. You can enter your zip code on the mlb.tv website and they will disclose which teams broadcasts are blacked out. You are able to watch achieved games if your game was blacked out (about an hour or two after the game is over and you can watch the entire season's achieves whenever you want (and the prior year's achieves as well) until the following season. Games on Saturday Afternoon (until 6 pm EDT) and Sunday evening are blacked out nationwide - even if they were not broadcast on Fox / ESPN.

MLB.radio broadcasts every single game - home / away / alt. language with no blackouts and has been $14.95 the past few years (or free with a trial subscription to Sports Illustrated). I've subscribed for this since they began offering it a few years ago - it is a great deal.