PDA

View Full Version : Dusty Baker -- Wants Cubs To Be First Team To Win A Championship?

infohawk
02-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Alright, I'm watching Comcast Sportsnight and I just heard an interview with Dusty Baker where he said that the team's goal remains to "win a championship and be the first team to do so."

Now, my first reaction was to just about jump out of my chair and yell, "Hello, the Chicago White Sox just won the World Series you idiot," but I guess it's possible when he said "team" he is clumsily trying to say that he wants the 2006 team to be the first Cub team to win a championship in a long-time. I don't know.

I have to wonder if force of habit made him "forget" that a Chicago team has already won recently. Anyway, anyone else hear this segment?

JohnBasedowYoda
02-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Alright, I'm watching Comcast Sportsnight and I just heard an interview with Dusty Baker where he said that the team's goal remains to "win a championship and be the first team to do so."

Now, my first reaction was to just about jump out of my chair and yell, "Hello, the Chicago White Sox just won the World Series you idiot," but I guess it's possible when he said "team" he is clumsily trying to say that he wants the 2006 team to be the first Cub team to win a championship in a long-time. I don't know.

I have to wonder if force of habit made him "forget" that a Chicago team has already won recently. Anyway, anyone else hear this segment?

It was on but I was ignoring it. Dusty Baker is a 'Nozzle and that's all there is to it.

thomas35forever
02-21-2006, 10:59 PM
Mike North said this morning that Dusty sounds like someone who wants to go home when he's interviewed and that Ozzie brings excitement to interviews.

veeter
02-22-2006, 07:08 AM
I heard it and was puzzled at first. But he HAD to be talking about a cubbie championship. Although, someone needs to tell the historian that they have already won one. Albeit a thousand years ago.

Hangar18
02-22-2006, 08:33 AM
Is he really this Dumb?

Dusty: I want the Cubs to win a Championship, and be the first
Comcast: Dusty, you realize the White Sox just won right?
Dusty: Yeah dude, but our management says SOX dont count
Comcast: Ok, but the Cubs won a Championship in 1908, so you wouldnt be the first if you won.
Dusty: ........(brief silence) I want the Cubs to win a Championship

EDIT: oops 1908

voodoochile
02-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Is he really this Dumb?

Dusty: I want the Cubs to win a Championship, and be the first
Comcast: Dusty, you realize the White Sox just won right?
Dusty: Yeah dude, but our management says SOX dont count
Comcast: Ok, but the Cubs won a Championship in 1906, so you wouldnt be the first if you won.
Dusty: ........(brief silence) I want the Cubs to win a Championship

Hangar... the flubbies didn't win the 1906 championship and I think you know that...:o:

soxinem1
02-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Hangar... the flubbies didn't win the 1906 championship and I think you know that...:o:

Well, only partially true any way. They did win a pennant.

But hey, they didn't have Steve Garvey, Matt Williams, Miguel Cabrera, and Ivan Rodriguez to pace in the playoffs back then either!

Hangar18
02-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Well, only partially true any way. They did win a pennant.

But hey, they didn't have Steve Garvey, Matt Williams, Miguel Cabrera, and Ivan Rodriguez to pace in the playoffs back then either!

Steve Garvey drinks free at any bar I own ......:cool:

skottyj242
02-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Maybe he meant the first team he has coached to win a World Series?

Tekijawa
02-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Maybe he meant the first team this year to do it? Beacause everyone knows how hard it is to win a championship after some one else has done it... All along Dusty's been shooting for the Second shot at a World Series in November. I think it's good that he's realized that he's been shooting for the wrong one... Baby Steps people, Baby Steps, eventually he'll learn that the Manager actually is supposed to think during the game!

longshot7
02-22-2006, 12:47 PM
well, I guess it's better than being the second team this year to win a championship.

TDog
02-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Steve Garvey drinks free at any bar I own ......:cool:

I don't believe alcohol is Mr. Garvey's vice. Still ...

Game 4 in the 1984 NLCS was incredible. It was THE definitive Cubs game until Game 6 in the 2003 NLCS. Even the next day, the Cubs blew a late lead, giving value to my 1984 World Series tickets for Game 1 in San Diego.

It was the first "championship of any kind since 1945," and Leon Durham shrugged and said, "We'll be back next year." There would be other kinds of championships, a couple of divisions and wild cards, one wild card which Steve Stone announced the Cubs were defending at the beginning of one optimistic season.

Cubs fans believe that if the Sox, who they all believe aren't very good and showed it by collapsing at the end of 2005, can win the World Series, any team can. It's not about baseball. It's about this year being their turn.

Hangar18
02-22-2006, 12:55 PM
It's not about baseball. It's about this year being their turn.

....its their sense of entitlement that stuns me year after year.
Lets be honest, they are the ONLY pro sports fanbase to boldly declare "this is our year" year after year, decade after decade. Dumbest Fans in Sports

Hangar18
02-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Wait .............. I think I knew what Johnny B Baker meant ...........
he wants to be the 1st team from Lakeview to win a Championship
(bowling leagues dont count)