PDA

View Full Version : ST 2006 : new faces, & Ozzie sounds off

SoLongFrank
02-21-2006, 02:50 PM
To the question of whether he could imagine Bonds playing for the White Sox someday: We're fine with what we have now. He then let out a big laugh.

Kidding aside, I'm glad I'm not Barry Bonds. He might be one of the most talented players to ever play the game but he is clearly a disaster in personal relationships. Why is he late for ST? Custody battle with his ex-wife over their teenage son. Barry's disharmony with the media is simply an extension of his real life.

He has been under a microscope since he broke the single season HR record. This year with the Babe's lifetime record in sight what media sports source won't be following Bonds every swing? I think most of us forget that he will be turning 42 this year. To be playing at that age is a marvel in itself. To be contender for MVP at that age is unthinkable. If you were a fan of Fisk he let us know how much work & how much pain is involved to play in your 40's. So I can sympathize with Barry's comments in the USA Today. As for his comments to MLB.com, he's obviously feeling much better with the new knee brace. So much so that he can see another 3 years. It's probably wishful thinking on Barry's part because I don't think he has the mental attitude to extend his career as a DH.

Ozzie thanked A-Rod for accepting his apology. I feel he dodged a bullet. A-Rod choose to go after MLB & the union for the whole affair. First he said, no but after Selig & Gene Ozra made a 2 hour conference call he became convinced he needed to do this for MLB. Then it was a question of what team he would play for. His mother argued on behalf of the Dominican & his wife on behalf of the USA. His wife won. When I read about this it sounded like A-Rod was going to accept whatever decision came out of that debate.

As I sat there & read about it I did feel sympathy for A-Rod. The fact remains that had he performed as well as Crede did in Sept & Oct he might be wearing the ring right now. Crede was instrumental in igniting the White Sox in late Sept with a crucial win over CLE. Crede took that charge in the post season where he came up big in games 2 & 5. If Crede's bat is silent then we're not World Champion's today. As for 2006 something tells me his bond to this team (espec AJ) is stronger than ever. A solid, consistent year could land this Boras client a multi-year deal. That would be a statement of mega proportions that the White Sox have joined the Big 6 as perennial contenders.

Lastly, a lot of new faces:
Competing for Marte's open spot: Ml'ers Bentz, Armando Almanza, Javier Lopez, Arnie Munoz, & Rusty Tucker. ml'ers Paulino Reynoso, Stephen Randolph, & Corwin Malone. Bentz remains you of the 1-handed Abbot.

Other pitchers: Lance Broadway (#1st rd pick 2005), Tim Redding (former RH SP), Sean Tracey, Ray Liotta, Charles Haeger (knuckleballer)

Outfielders: Darren Blakely (29, SH career-mler: 25 HR 2004, 89 RBI 2005)
, Ben Grieve (former AL ROY), Joe Borchard, Jerry Owens, Ryan Sweeney, & Brian Anderson.

southsidepolish
02-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Barry Bonds is the worst thing that could happen to baseball. Runner ups-Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire.

IlliniSox4Life
02-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Barry Bonds is the worst thing that could happen to baseball. Runner ups-Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire.
I'm sure MLB is upset with the increased attention and revenue the Sosa-McGwire home run race brought them. :rolleyes:

SoLongFrank
02-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Still you have to admit he's good for the White Sox. Love him or Hate him he's going to atttract a media circus of attention this year. That will take some of the spotlight off of our team & allow them to play a little looser.

I don't think he's the worst thing to happen to baseball but he certainly blew a great opportunity to be one of the best things. Just imagine if Bonds had the personality of say Michael Jordon. Baseball would be on top of the world right now.

I'll always have a soft spot for Barry because I marvel at his talent. I did when he was with the Pirates. Look at that team now then imagine them winning 3 div championships. That's how much of an impact player Barry was when he was younger. I love his swing. I feel bad about saying that but it's true.

chaerulez
02-22-2006, 03:42 PM
Still you have to admit he's good for the White Sox. Love him or Hate him he's going to atttract a media circus of attention this year. That will take some of the spotlight off of our team & allow them to play a little looser.

I don't think he's the worst thing to happen to baseball but he certainly blew a great opportunity to be one of the best things. Just imagine if Bonds had the personality of say Michael Jordon. Baseball would be on top of the world right now.

I'll always have a soft spot for Barry because I marvel at his talent. I did when he was with the Pirates. Look at that team now then imagine them winning 3 div championships. That's how much of an impact player Barry was when he was younger. I love his swing. I feel bad about saying that but it's true.

What? You really think the media attention that Bonds would bring to the Sox or any team for that matter is POSITIVE? Do you also think that Bonds would be a good clubhouse guy? I don't care if Barry Bonds is nice or a jackass, what I do care is that he is a cheater and a fraud. Good for the White Sox, what a load of crap, go say that kind of bs to a Cubs fan at least the idiot portion of their fanbase still holds love for Sosa.

bludupree
02-22-2006, 03:46 PM
What? You really think the media attention that Bonds would bring to the Sox or any team for that matter is POSITIVE? Do you also think that Bonds would be a good clubhouse guy? I don't care if Barry Bonds is nice or a jackass, what I do care is that he is a cheater and a fraud. Good for the White Sox, what a load of crap, go say that kind of bs to a Cubs fan at least the idiot portion of their fanbase still holds love for Sosa.

I'm pretty sure he is saying it is good for the Sox because the media attention will be on Bonds and not on the White Sox. He isn't saying bonds should be on our team.

chaerulez
02-22-2006, 03:48 PM
I'm pretty sure he is saying it is good for the Sox because the media attention will be on Bonds and not on the White Sox. He isn't saying bonds should be on our team.

Alright, I read the comment wrong, however the best thing Barry Bonds can do for baseball is he goes away and doesn't come back to the game ever.