PDA

View Full Version : Baines' last year as coach?

salty99
02-21-2006, 09:23 AM
I apologize if this has been reported already. But it is being speculated that this will be Baines' last year as coach with the White Sox. He wants to spend more time with his family. None of the coaches are getting extensions until the season is over. Saw this in the Sun-Times.

tebman
02-21-2006, 09:34 AM
I read that too. Though I'm not surprised, I'll miss him when he's gone -- to me he's one of the White Sox's iconic figures. I always thought that he was one of the best pure hitters in the game, but his quiet and low-key manner kept him in the shadows.

Smooth swing, smart player, and good outfielder until his knees let him down. Maybe HOF numbers, but I'd be surprised if he were elected since he was never a self-promoter.

He'll coach first base it says, so he'll have to talk to somebody. :D:

The Wall
02-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Did Joe nasek totally retire from baseball? I thought he would come back this year or sometime last year.

BainesHOF
02-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Nossek was a Reinsdorf clubhouse spy.

SOXintheBURGH
02-21-2006, 11:44 AM
If you travel to his hometown in Maryland he's a legend. I always loved Harold since I was a little boy.

Banix12
02-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Nossek has totally retired.

I wouldn't be shocked if Baines just left to spend time with the family. I never thought he was too interested in staying in coaching for long anyway. I remember it took him awhile to take on the full time coaching position. Before the bench coach thing wasn't he just like a special batting instructor?

mike squires
02-21-2006, 03:02 PM
I think Baines will always be affiliated with the sox making special appearences (Sox Fest, spring Training etc.) much like Minnie Minnoso.

Mots09
02-21-2006, 03:33 PM
I thought Baines was gone after last year b/c i remember him making some statements.

Madvora
02-21-2006, 03:38 PM
I thought Baines was gone after last year b/c i remember him making some statements. You're probably referring to the times that he had to manage while Ozzie was kicked out or taking time off for his kids graduation or something. Baines said he had absolutely no desire to ever manage again.

TheGipper
02-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Is Tim Raines gone from this coaching staff must have missed it if he was. I hope Baines doesn't take 1st away from his if Tim is still on board. Loved the idea of one of the best base stealers in MLB history coaching first and giving our guys another set of eyes on when it's good to steal and when it isn't.

HotelWhiteSox
02-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Is Tim Raines gone from this coaching staff must have missed it if he was. I hope Baines doesn't take 1st away from his if Tim is still on board. Loved the idea of one of the best base stealers in MLB history coaching first and giving our guys another set of eyes on when it's good to steal and when it isn't.

I'm sure I read it here, but yeah, Ozzie wants Raines as bench coach, and Harold is moving to 1st

soxfan43
02-21-2006, 08:55 PM
My guess is Robin Ventura might make his way onto this coaching staff.

Banix12
02-21-2006, 09:24 PM
My guess is Robin Ventura might make his way onto this coaching staff.
Certainly the sox would like to have him on the staff but it remains to be seen if Robin wants to take a coaching job yet. I'm pretty sure they have asked him to come on board before but he so far hasn't been interested citing his desire to spend time with his family.

soxinem1
02-21-2006, 09:57 PM
As much as I worship Harold, I still find it puzzling that he is being switched with Raines. Raines was a base stealer, knows how to read pitchers, and also can yell loudly. Reminds me of the days when Dave Nelson was at first, even though Raines was by far the superior player.

I'd bump Cora before Raines. Is there something we are not picking up here?

I think so, remember, Raines has lupus, and there is no cure. So maybe he has some health issues they don't want to broadcast to the world.

Daver
02-21-2006, 10:19 PM
As much as I worship Harold, I still find it puzzling that he is being switched with Raines. Raines was a base stealer, knows how to read pitchers, and also can yell loudly. Reminds me of the days when Dave Nelson was at first, even though Raines was by far the superior player.

I'd bump Cora before Raines. Is there something we are not picking up here?

I think so, remember, Raines has lupus, and there is no cure. So maybe he has some health issues they don't want to broadcast to the world.

I would tend to believe that Harold does want out, and Ozzie's first choice as bench coach is Tim. Harold is not the type to quit after winning it all, as it would raise questions on a broad spectrum, he would choose to go out quietly.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-22-2006, 12:06 AM
Agree 100%. I love Harold too, but I never really understood what he brought to the game as a coach. You have to actually communicate with players in order to coach them, don't you? I have a feeling that's why Raines is being moved to the bench coach - because he can share insights with players in the dugout rather than every once in a while when a guy gets on first base.

That said, I still don't like the idea of Harold taking over at first. I just watched WS Game 2 (after hearing of this decision), and noticed Raines was warning baserunners about Pettite's pickoff move. Rock knew when the throw was coming over every time. Does Harold possess the same instincts/know-how about stealing bases? Ozzie must know what he's doing...

white sox bill
02-22-2006, 06:37 AM
I'll always remember Bainsey when Jerry was manager....one of our pitchers was getting rocked to the tune of like 6 runs in one inning...the camera panned over to where Jerry and Nardi were seated in dugout, they both had that "deer in the headlights" glazed look and then further down the bench was Harold, looking like he was sleeping and didn't want to be woke up. I thought to myself: "Fine group of coaches we have here!" LOL!