PDA

View Full Version : Crede in 2006

kevin57
02-21-2006, 07:53 AM
The Tribune today poses the question of whether Joe Crede can continue the offensive punch he showed in the 2005 post-season. Do you predict that Joe's offensive numbers in 2006 will resemble more his regular season numbers of 2005, or will they look more like his 2005 post-season numbers?

chisoxmike
02-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Joe being Joe.

I think his glove has improved greatly over the years but I think he will continue to be a .250 hitter.

spiffie
02-21-2006, 09:40 AM
His swing looked different. I remember after some game in August where Joe had his usual 0-4 night with 4 pop-ups to the left side of the infield Melton was on the radio talking about how long and loopy Joe's swing was. After the hand injury the swing looked tighter, more compact. If he keeps that adjustment in 2006 and doesn't fall into old habits I could see a 280/25/90 year from Joe.

scottjanssens
02-21-2006, 09:47 AM
I think his glove has improved greatly over the years

That opinion is supported by the propeller heads' numbers, so obviously you are wrong.

batmanZoSo
02-21-2006, 09:47 AM
I voted in the spirit of optimism, but I think for the most part Joe is Joe and I'm fine with that. He was arguably the MVP in October, but he's not an MVP type player. So he's not going to "continue" what he did so to speak. But he must have gained a lot of confidence and I'm sure he can carry some of that over and improve his stats a little bit. But as long as he's captain clutch and brings that glove, he's fine with me. Some players are allowed to bat .250, he's one of them.

Ol' No. 2
02-21-2006, 09:50 AM
I'll vote somewhere in between. He's not going to hit all year like he did from Sept on. But I think he learned something that will translate into an improvement. I put the over/under at around .270.

DaleJRFan
02-21-2006, 09:54 AM
He can hit 250/20/80 again for all I care. That's fine out of the 7-9 area of the lineup. Its his glove that counts. Thats probably why he is still playing here and Willie Harris isn't.

BUT, I do think the monkey is off of his back now. He said that wheile he was on the DL, he spent a lot of time shortening his swing and level out the swing plane. So his swing is "fixed" he knows what he has to do now. He has seen the results. I guess all we can do is hope that it continues, because like others said, he could revert to his softball swing any day now.

miker
02-21-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm going to split the difference: not as hot as post-season, but definitely better that his regular season.

As long that glove stays hot, I'll be happy.

soxfanatlanta
02-21-2006, 10:32 AM
As long as his back holds out, and his defense remains the same, I'll be happy with either scenario.

kittle42
02-21-2006, 10:32 AM
It all depends on how many of his hits don't count in the shoota method.

lostletters
02-22-2006, 01:22 AM
Is there an inbetween option?

Hitmen77
02-22-2006, 08:33 AM
Seems to me that Crede's historic pattern is to hit poorly early in the season and then get hot in late August and September. I hope he finds a little more early-season consistency in 2006 and then totally catches fire again for our run through the playoffs in '06.

NonetheLoaiza
02-22-2006, 08:48 AM
I put Joe being Joe, only because of the question about his back, and he has yet to prove he can hit over the course of a full season. We saw a glimpse of the kind of player that Joe is/can be in the postseason, and I hope that he uses that as motivation and is able to continue to have a hot 2006. I guess I would put him to breakout this season, so to speak, but I wouldn't want to jinx it.

HomeFish
02-22-2006, 09:12 AM
Joe Crede has inherent flaws as an offensive player. .220 - .250 is the only realistic expectation for him over an entire season.

downstairs
02-22-2006, 09:14 AM
The post season was 12 games.

He will be his average self, which isn't that bad...

voodoochile
02-22-2006, 09:15 AM
Joe Crede has inherent flaws as an offensive player. .220 - .250 is the only realistic expectation for him over an entire season.

Probably more like .240-.270 with 20+ HR but it's not a surprise to me that you selected the low end of the spectrum for a guy with a career .255 average...

voodoochile
02-22-2006, 09:16 AM
I edited the poll and voted. I'm standing out there on a limb all by myself...:D:

Frater Perdurabo
02-22-2006, 09:31 AM
I voted for the third option. Playing so well on the World's Biggest Stage ought to increase his confidence at the plate and his success with the shorter swing finally will convince him to keep the swing short and compact.

I don't look for him to become a .300 hitter over the course of a season, and I still expect him to have some bad stretches (like any other player), but the lows won't be so low, and he will have some longer hot streaks.

If he stays healthy, I'd guess .265/30/90. If the Sox do well this year and his defense stays the same, I also expect he will get some serious Gold Glove consideration. Often times individual awards are based in part on the performance of the year before, and often the Gold Glove votes are swayed by offensive performances. Crede probably deserved the GG last year, but his higher profile (starting 3B for the World Champs) and, hopefully, improved regular season hitting should get him some GG votes.

ManagerMark
02-22-2006, 10:30 AM
:supernana: I think Joe had 2 good spurts last year toward the end. One came before he got hit by pitch on the finger. I was worried that when he came back he would have lost the momentum, after all, sometimes Joe can look lost at the plate and he did in stretches last summer. His first couple of days back didn't look real good as I remember, but then he kicked it into gear and regained his momentum. This leads me to believe that Joe has found something and he found it when it counted. I voted that Joe will be better than the past but not as hot all year as he was in the post season. I think batting .275 with 20 to 25 home runs is in the bag and he could do more. If Iguichi hits .300 with power in the lower end, that is going to help the other guys too.

voodoochile
02-22-2006, 10:45 AM
I voted for the third option. Playing so well on the World's Biggest Stage ought to increase his confidence at the plate and his success with the shorter swing finally will convince him to keep the swing short and compact.

I don't look for him to become a .300 hitter over the course of a season, and I still expect him to have some bad stretches (like any other player), but the lows won't be so low, and he will have some longer hot streaks.

If he stays healthy, I'd guess .265/30/90. If the Sox do well this year and his defense stays the same, I also expect he will get some serious Gold Glove consideration. Often times individual awards are based in part on the performance of the year before, and often the Gold Glove votes are swayed by offensive performances. Crede probably deserved the GG last year, but his higher profile (starting 3B for the World Champs) and, hopefully, improved regular season hitting should get him some GG votes.

Since I added that third option, only one person has voted for the other two. It was 52-50-(unavailable) WS level now it is 53-50-10.

Deuce
02-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Joe is Joe. I hope he turns out to be more than the average Joe this year, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

ode to veeck
02-22-2006, 12:04 PM
depends on what we consider including "counting" in his batting stats

allkenz
02-22-2006, 12:28 PM
If Iguchi and AJ are hitting in front of him, it wouldn't surprise me if Joe has close to 80 RBI

kevin57
02-22-2006, 03:27 PM
I edited the poll and voted. I'm standing out there on a limb all by myself...:D:

I'm glad you added the third option. I was trying to cover it--sort of--by using the terminology "significantly better." Of course, the question is, what is significant. For some, Joe going to .285 would be a significant improvement. For others, his BA would have to average close to .300.

maurice
02-22-2006, 03:27 PM

What, no graph this time?!?

SoLongFrank
02-22-2006, 03:31 PM
I expect some improvement. Probably finish w a .265-.270 avg. Not a breakout year. I don't think his back will hold out the whole season so he's bound to slump before it lands him on the bench. I do think when he returns to everyday status he will have a typical Sept & stellar post season.

He seems to be like Rowand when it comes to plate discipline. A little time off clears his head & puts him back on the right track. Don't know why that is though.

gobears1987
02-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Joe being Joe.

I think his glove has improved greatly over the years but I think he will continue to be a .250 hitter.agreed

WikdChiSoxFan
02-22-2006, 08:51 PM
All right, his stats may be better...

but there's now way he can match his post-season production...

otherwise, he'd be in the Justice League