PDA

View Full Version : A statue for Sammy????

henchmanUK
02-21-2006, 08:28 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol21.html

I am astounded by this.

Wsoxmike59
02-21-2006, 08:39 AM
http://www.dario2004.com/img/discobolos.jpg

As long as it crumbles in front of your eyes and a recording tells you that steroids "doesn't build great athletes.....it destroys them!"

kittle42
02-21-2006, 08:47 AM
When was the last time Slezak wrote anything worth printing?

chuckn98229
02-21-2006, 08:50 AM
A sip of kubbie kool-aid can make even the most heinous acts seem benign. However, I think they should go even further in honoring Sammy. Since Sammy displays all the wonderful attributes that make a 'cub' a 'cub', (cheating, drugging, lying, wife-beating, inflated ego, obnoxious self-promotion, etc.) I propose that Sammy Sosa now be known as Mr. Cub. After all, Ernie Banks was from another time (pre-Tribune). A time when an afternoon at the Urinal meant listening to sparse groups of old ladies and brownie troops chant 'we want a hit'. The tribsters can put the phrase 'let's play two' up somewhere in the Urinal to honor Ernie (ala Jack Brickhouse).

kevin57
02-21-2006, 08:59 AM
I too am skeptical of the accuracy of anything Slezak writes, but if this does happen, it would be another example of how Sox fans and Cub fans differ. Imagine the odds of the Sox erecting a statue for Mags in USCF. I didn't think you could. :wink: Now, I know one can argue that Sosa and Ordonez are apples and oranges in some respects, but in terms of the endearment both enjoyed at one time and the sourness of their respective departures, I think are very much alike.

kittle42
02-21-2006, 09:43 AM
I too am skeptical of the accuracy of anything Slezak writes, but if this does happen, it would be another example of how Sox fans and Cub fans differ. Imagine the odds of the Sox erecting a statue for Mags in USCF. I didn't think you could. :wink: Now, I know one can argue that Sosa and Ordonez are apples and oranges in some respects, but in terms of the endearment both enjoyed at one time and the sourness of their respective departures, I think are very much alike.

You're stretching here. Sosa was one of the best players in Cubs history. Ordonez, while solid and well-liked until his departure, would be quite far down the line of Sox players worthy of post-Sox-career recognition.

Hangar18
02-21-2006, 09:50 AM

Carol Slezak, the great writer of such award winning pieces as .....

* Lets give Kerry Wood a Nickname
* How big are The Messiahs calves anyway?
* World Series 2004, lets skip to October and compare Cubs/Yankees Rotations

This is nothing more than a Fluff/Propoganda piece, simply meant to get the cubs-build-another-statue ball rolling

Hangar18
02-21-2006, 09:52 AM

As long as the Statue is made of Cork, I have no problem with it

chisoxfan64
02-21-2006, 10:09 AM
I`m sure it will be a simulated statue.

itsnotrequired
02-21-2006, 10:12 AM
A statue for Sammy? Whirrr...

Ol' No. 2
02-21-2006, 10:52 AM
Vintage Carol Sleeze-ak. If you ever need evidence that the Cubune is a shill for the team, you need look no further.

cheeses_h_rice
02-21-2006, 10:53 AM
I have the perfect model for this statue:
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/67955/2/istockphoto_67955_deflated_red_balloon.jpg

Jerko
02-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Carol Slezak, the great writer of such award winning pieces as .....

* Lets give Kerry Wood a Nickname
* How big are The Messiahs calves anyway?
* World Series 2004, lets skip to October and compare Cubs/Yankees Rotations

This is nothing more than a Fluff/Propoganda piece, simply meant to get the cubs-build-another-statue ball rolling

Don't forget her greatest article ever....

* If you sit on a seat at the Cell after it rains, your ass will get wet.

rocky biddle
02-21-2006, 10:57 AM
When sam left in a huff all the Trib entities attacked, obviously trying to sway the opinion of the sheep against him. Now comes the pro-sam campaign. I bet in the next few months the world's greatest newspaper will feature quite a few sam tributes aimed at swaying cubdumb back into his good graces. Just wait- in the coming days we'll all be reminded how sam saved baseball.

Lip Man 1
02-21-2006, 10:58 AM
No.2:

Doesn't Slezak write for the Sun-Times???

Lip

spawn
02-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Yes she does...that's a Sun-Times article that is linked in the first post.

TomBradley72
02-21-2006, 11:37 AM

Wasn't she also the author of the classic: "The White Sox won the pennant...but looking out my window in Wrigleyville...no one is celebrating...so I guess no one cares" article?

chisoxfan64
02-21-2006, 12:00 PM

The next time she does will be the first.

TommyJohn
02-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Wasn't she also the author of the classic: "The White Sox won the pennant...but looking out my window in Wrigleyville...no one is celebrating...so I guess no one cares" article?

Yes, for which she was conferred the Pauline Kael Award for dumbest
statement made by a supposedly intelligent person.

DumpJerry
02-21-2006, 12:13 PM
A statue would be real nice.
In front of the BALCO headquarters.

SOXPHILE
02-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Ahhhh, Carol ! Continuing to give hope to those who write for junior high newspapers everywhere. If you can make it big, they all can ! In the last 2 years, I have learned so much valuable insight from you.

-people talk on cell phones at Cub games.

-wet seats at U.S. Cellular will give you a wet butt

-your dog will poop on the floor if you leave him home alone all day

-The White Sox won the Series, but NOBODY IN CHICAGO CARES ! (Well, actually, I think what she meant to say is nobody in her Wrigleyville condo did, and with her windows shut, she couldn't hear too much noise outside in the 2-3 block area around Wrigley Field)

-There was no need to play the '04 season, since the Cubs & Yankees were going to the Series anyway. They should have just played it in June !

Now, they're going to build a statue of Sammy. Carol, let me take a wild guess here. You were one of the throngs of idiots who cheered madly and ignorantly for this phony all the way up to 2004. You ignored and annoyingly brushed off those things all us "bitter Sox fans" told you about steroids, and wife beating. You gave him a standing ovation the night after he was caught with a corked bat. You basically just sat happily at Wrigley, your crisp, clean, bright blue Cub hat perched jauntily on you head, soaking up the "atmosphere", and thanked God you weren't a Sox fan. Now, lo and behold ! You realize he "probably" took steroids, and using a corked bat is cheating ! Now, you're torn. You're not sure you like him anymore. No, wait, the Cubs should, and probably will build a statue for him. And you'll be there cheering and supporting it if they do.

1951Campbell
02-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Yes, for which she was conferred the Pauline Kael Award for dumbest
statement made by a supposedly intelligent person.

Pauline Kael...good reference!

ChiSoxGirl
02-21-2006, 12:21 PM

:roflmao: :bandance:

:hawk
You can put it on the board... YES!

eriqjaffe
02-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Will the statue be placed at the clubhouse exit?

russ99
02-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Will the statue be placed at the clubhouse exit?

Along with the now-sacred pieces of his shattered boombox?

Ol' No. 2
02-21-2006, 01:05 PM
No.2:

Doesn't Slezak write for the Sun-Times???

LipI guess she does. She's just such a Cubs shill that it sounds like she writes for the Trib.

slavko
02-21-2006, 01:17 PM

As long as it crumbles in front of your eyes and a recording tells you that steroids "doesn't build great athletes.....it destroys them!"

The statue could display the fact that certain body parts are shrunken by steroid use.

LuvSox
02-21-2006, 01:37 PM
Sosa Statue under construction already:

Flight #24
02-21-2006, 02:05 PM
It's obvious, isn't it?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/Peelboy/discobolos_2.jpg

Dick Allen
02-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Ms. Einstein also included some ignorant remarks about Indiana basketball as part of her column, which I've already e-mailed her about to try and educate her. Lord knows someone should.

Jerko
02-21-2006, 02:35 PM
Too bad the Times doesn't have mods that could "ban" her during baseball season. She needs a good 6 month long time-out.

soxinem1
02-21-2006, 02:43 PM

Nope, build it at 1060 West Addison. I will stop by and pay tribute to Sammy and the cubs by leaving it a gift. The gift will match the smell of The Urinal, if you catch my drift!

I used to leave these gifts from the time I was a kid until the late 80's, I'll be glad to make a return visit for that!!

Layla
02-21-2006, 04:08 PM
A sip of kubbie kool-aid can make even the most heinous acts seem benign. However, I think they should go even further in honoring Sammy. Since Sammy displays all the wonderful attributes that make a 'cub' a 'cub', (cheating, drugging, lying, wife-beating, inflated ego, obnoxious self-promotion, etc.) I propose that Sammy Sosa now be known as Mr. Cub. After all, Ernie Banks was from another time (pre-Tribune). A time when an afternoon at the Urinal meant listening to sparse groups of old ladies and brownie troops chant 'we want a hit'. The tribsters can put the phrase 'let's play two' up somewhere in the Urinal to honor Ernie (ala Jack Brickhouse).

I know all about the cheating, drugging, lying, inflated ego, obnoxious self-promotion stuff.

But can anyone please tell me about the wife beating? I never heard about that, but have seen it mentioned quite a bit.

Thanks.

santo=dorf
02-21-2006, 04:10 PM
I know all about the cheating, drugging, lying, inflated ego, obnoxious self-promotion stuff.

But can anyone please tell me about the wife beating? I never heard about that, but have seen it mentioned quite a bit.

Thanks.
It was back in his stint with the White Sox and it was not with his current wife.
From the Chicago Tribune, 2/28/91
"`I didn`t hit anybody with a bottle,`` he said. ``I swear to God.`` Sosa reported to camp on time Wednesday, along with just about everyone else.

Sosa, of course, had been mired in legal matters back home in the Dominican. His ex-wife (or his estranged wife, depending on the venue), according to reports, has accused him in the Dominican of hitting her with a rum bottle, plus other indignities. ``I didn`t do anything,`` said Sosa. ``So nothing has to bother me.``

``He`s here to play baseball,`` said manager Jeff Torborg. ``That other stuff will be taken care of.``

So while attorneys from both sides try to work out the inevitable settlement, Sosa is in camp, trying to work out his own problems:

- Strikeouts, for one. There were 150 of them last season, which put him in Cecil Fielder Land."

WSox597
02-21-2006, 05:27 PM
As long as the Statue is made of Cork, I have no problem with it

Beat me to the punch. Although, a statue made of cork would be kinda light. Maybe it should just have cork on the inside, like those bats. :D:

gobears1987
02-21-2006, 05:43 PM
I hate Sammy Sosa as much as the next Sox fan, but I can see why they'd want a statue. IMO, he doesn't deserve one because of the roids and cork, but for a decade he was the Cubs. He (and beer) were the reasons people went to the games.

SoLongFrank
02-21-2006, 06:03 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/danoneill/story/B09BDC8C8312005686257119003811AF?OpenDocument
The only player in major league history to have 3 60 HR seasons.
His 469 HR's from 1993-2003 are the best ever in a 10 yr period.

Career avg's:
AB/HR: Thomas = 15.527, Sosa = 14.287, MMac = 10.612
AB/2B: Thomas = 15.562, Sosa = 23.665, MMac = 24.552
AB/H: Thomas = 3.257, Sosa = 3.646, MMac = 3.805
AB/BB: Thomas = 4.745, Sosa = 9.387, MMac = 4.698

If Thomas is a border-line case then Sosa is out. Given that no one player
should be eligible for the HOF with less than 5000 AB's if you can't produce numbers close to Thomas' you don't deserve to be in it.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/columnists/rick_hurd/13916442.htm

AB/HR: Ruth = 11.763, Bonds = 12.910, Aaron = 16.376
AB/2B: Ruth = 16.599, Bonds = 16.206, Aaron = 19.814
AB/H: Ruth = 2.923, Bonds = 3.333, Aaron = 3.279
AB/BB: Ruth = 4.073, Bonds = 3.955, Aaron = 8.819

Aaron had over 4000 more AB's than Sosa & nearly twice as many as MMac. In his last 2000 AB's he had only 62 2B. It's obvious his legs were leaving him. Subtracting those 2000 AB's & Aaron's AB/2B = 18.441.

It would appear that AB/2B is the strongest evidence to separate those who benefited greatly from the juice & those who did not.

Palmeiro AB/2B = 17.901. I don't think he did. I think he'll be a victim from testing positive though.

Canseco AB/2B = 20.756. Here's a guy with speed enough to steal 40 SB's, yet couldn't produce a below 20 avg here. His HR are clearly a product of the juice.

slavko
02-21-2006, 10:35 PM
The tribsters can put the phrase 'let's play two' up somewhere in the Urinal to honor Ernie (ala Jack Brickhouse).

You may not realize it, but they've already "honored" Ernie in a similar lukewarm manner as Jack. "Welcome to The Friendly Confines of Wrigley Field" painted on top of the visitors' dugout is vintage Ernie. So management probably thinks its off the hook and can start planning for the Sammy statue.

Whitesox029
02-21-2006, 10:47 PM
With a bit of luck, by the time Cubs fans are ready for a Sosa statue there will be no Wrigley Field left to build it in front of.

DSpivack
02-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Funny how "Cork" and "Kerry" is a Sox bar. :D:

SoLongFrank
02-22-2006, 03:53 PM
I personally think Slezak is exagerating here. By the time Sosa's HOF status comes into play Derrick Lee might make Sosa all but forgotten in Wrigleyville.

No one can say the Cubune doesn't have the money to field a contender every year. So the odds are they'll have another run at it before that time.

With Sosa they got w/in 1 game of the WS. Though ShamME didn't have a lot to do with that. If they can get to the WS with D Lee Sosa will be long forgotten. Personally I'd rather they honor him somewhere outside the park where you won't be reminded of him on TV.

Dan Mega
02-22-2006, 06:15 PM
I think my favorite part of that article is when she said "bad memories fade with time, they always do". Oh really? Then why does she bring up the 2003 NLCS every other article?

Oh wait, thats a good memory for us!

Nellie_Fox
02-23-2006, 12:55 AM
http://www.hrplaques.com/Bodybuilding___Weightlifting_A/H___R_Trophies_Bodybuilding_St/Bodybuilding_Statues_1/HR2221BBsgb.jpg

jehosaphat
02-23-2006, 06:04 PM
[quote=chuckn98229]A time when an afternoon at the Urinal meant listening to sparse groups of old ladies and brownie troops chant 'we want a hit'. /quote]

Now lets be fair. There were also a handful of nuns in the crowd as well.

thepaulbowski
02-23-2006, 06:31 PM
I'm not sure which is worse the statue talk or her defending IU coach Mike Davis. :o:

Foulke You
02-25-2006, 04:00 PM

Another Slezak gem was when she viewed adult men who wear baseball jerseys to be immature and weird.:?: I guess you can just call me immature then cuz I wear my Sox jersey to every game. We're called BASEBALL FANS Carol. You don't dress up in your golf shirt and dress slacks to go to a ballgame! Does anyone else think Slezak would be better fit to write for the "SUNDAY FLUFF" section of the Sun-Times? She seems to have her finger FAR from the heartbeat of Chicago sports fans.