PDA

View Full Version : Updated New Era BP Cap??

fincher
02-20-2006, 11:56 PM
2006 New Era BP Cap...Seems like there is a new model with a different material. Any news on where this can be found? I've checked everywhere.

The color scheme is the same but the material is different along with the a slightly different MLB logo on the back. My current one is getting ratty plus I need a new since I have Pods and Paulie's sigs on the bill.

Thanks, in advance.

Brian26
02-21-2006, 12:04 AM
2006 New Era BP Cap...Seems like there is a new model with a different material. Any news on where this can be found? I've checked everywhere.

The color scheme is the same but the material is different along with the a slightly different MLB logo on the back. My current one is getting ratty plus I need a new since I have Pods and Paulie's sigs on the bill.

Thanks, in advance.

I bought a new one a month ago at Sportmart when they were having one of their big sales. You're correct...the hats are slightly different. The material seems to be the same, in fact, but the difference is in the elastic band around the inside of the hat. On the old hats, when you put the hat, the elastic band would look a little puffy around the perimeter of your head. On the new hats, it's more of a tighter, form fit. The other difference is that the raised SOX logo on the new hats is slightly larger. It's almost hard to notice unless you sit both hats next to each other. The new hat is a better design though.

Hangar18
02-21-2006, 09:40 AM
I bought a new one a month ago at Sportmart when they were having one of their big sales. You're correct...the hats are slightly different. The material seems to be the same, in fact, but the difference is in the elastic band around the inside of the hat. On the old hats, when you put the hat, the elastic band would look a little puffy around the perimeter of your head. On the new hats, it's more of a tighter, form fit. The other difference is that the raised SOX logo on the new hats is slightly larger. It's almost hard to notice unless you sit both hats next to each other. The new hat is a better design though.

Too bad you couldnt get a picture up, id like to see it.

fincher
02-21-2006, 09:49 AM
I'll have to check out Sportmart or Grandstand. Thanks a bunch.

batmanZoSo
02-21-2006, 10:51 AM

That's good news. I couldn't stand that puffiness, so I wouldn't buy one. The elastic ones looked like crap to me. But at the same time, I don't like wearing the hot wool caps that shrink. These are the main reasons I don't own a hat. Maybe I've found the answer.

fincher
02-22-2006, 01:42 PM
I checked out two Sports Authority (former SportMart) stores. Nada. I even called Granstand and they do not have them. Oh well. I am sure they will surface soon.

What SportMart had them?

fincher
02-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Here's an update. I called New Era today. The new hats are not supposed to be in retail outlets until June. It is still called the 3930 but the hat has, in addition to an updated sweat band, more wool content though it is still breathable.

June? That's crazy.

Brian26
02-22-2006, 09:33 PM
I checked out two Sports Authority (former SportMart) stores. Nada. I even called Granstand and they do not have them. Oh well. I am sure they will surface soon.

What SportMart had them?

Ontario and LaSalle.

fincher
02-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks. I will check it out next time I'm downtown.

fincher
02-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Brian, is it a 3930 model? Think its still available? Were there a lot in stock last month? Sorry for all the q's but just wondering since the store probably would know if I called.

I am thinking I will make a trip tomorrow. Its not that far since I work in Norwood Park/Edison Park.

Thank you, again.

Brian26
02-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Brian, is it a 3930 model? Think its still available? Were there a lot in stock last month? Sorry for all the q's but just wondering since the store probably would know if I called.

Tons in stock.

Brian26
02-22-2006, 11:07 PM
Too bad you couldnt get a picture up, id like to see it.

Henry- This pic really doesn't explain it very well. The old hat is on the left, the new hat is on the right. You might be able to tell that the new hat is a little more form-fitted. I'd show you a pic of the inside of the old hat, but you don't want to see the sweat stains :D:

fincher
02-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Brian, thanks for showing the pictures. The hat is the previous version of the 3930, the model used from 2003-2005. There is a newer model, which you described quite well, but does not match the pictures.

Here is a link to the pictures of the hat from a photo gallery at Chicago Sports. Hopefully, this better describes things.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-2006soxspringphotos,1,61468.photogallery?coll=cs-ctsports

The hat does have an improved band and does use the same or similar material but its shaped more like the 5950 game cap.

Red Barchetta
02-24-2006, 07:07 PM
So to be clear, the BP hat on the SOX website (MBL/Shop) is last year's version correct? Are the new hats fitted or do they have the elastic small/medium or medium/large bands?

fincher
02-24-2006, 09:38 PM
So to be clear, the BP hat on the SOX website (MBL/Shop) is last year's version correct? Are the new hats fitted or do they have the elastic small/medium or medium/large bands?

It is my understanding it will be available in Medium-Large and Large-Extra Large. Today's Sun-Times has a picture of Paulie and you can see the fit is similar to the game hats (5950 model)...similar but not the same. Supposedly, there is some stretch to them otherwise the sizing would be exact.

So, the ones on the MLB site are the models used the past three seasons. Pretty sure.

JohnBasedowYoda
02-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Tons in stock.

Is it me or does the logo look larger than usual?

Brian26
02-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Brian, thanks for showing the pictures. The hat is the previous version of the 3930, the model used from 2003-2005. There is a newer model, which you described quite well, but does not match the pictures.

Here is a link to the pictures of the hat from a photo gallery at Chicago Sports. Hopefully, this better describes things.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-2006soxspringphotos,1,61468.photogallery?coll=cs-ctsports

The hat does have an improved band and does use the same or similar material but its shaped more like the 5950 game cap.

That hat I show on the right is the new version.

fincher
02-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Brian, have you see the pics from the link I posted? That is the newest model, newer than the one shown on your pics...and sadly its not yet available.

fincher
03-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Just wanted to post an update...

I spoke with a New Era rep. There are several teams 'testing' the updated 3930 cap in Spring Training, the ChiSox being one of them. The hat, if approved by MLB, likely will not be available until after the 2006 season or next season.

Hangar18
03-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Henry- This pic really doesn't explain it very well. The old hat is on the left, the new hat is on the right. You might be able to tell that the new hat is a little more form-fitted. I'd show you a pic of the inside of the old hat, but you don't want to see the sweat stains :D:

Your are totally right, I can see the difference immediately just by looking at them side by side like that. A chief reason I never bought the BP hat was because it never fit right on me, it always looked like it was too small,
and the inside elastic band would puff out, further making it look like the hat didnt fit me. The new one is definitely more form fitting, I like it very much. Sigh ...........time to buy a hat now :cool:

Baby Fisk
03-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Is it me or does the logo look larger than usual?
Yikes, the slow creep towards MLB's Back to the Future day continues... :o:

brucefan34
03-06-2006, 12:55 PM
FYI to all.

Sports Authority in Cal City and Merrillville have a ton of these! Just saw them last Friday (3-3-06).

You're welcome!!!!

fincher
03-06-2006, 12:58 PM
I give up. :(:

There is a new 3930. Its not out for the public and won't be until late this season or next season. The Sox have been wearing the prototype this spring training. Higher crown, has some wool content, better fit and stitching, etc.

Again, I give up. Sorry.

Hangar18
03-06-2006, 01:06 PM
FYI to all.

Sports Authority in Cal City and Merrillville have a ton of these! Just saw them last Friday (3-3-06).

You're welcome!!!!

Fincher, please read the quoted post. The new hat is INDEED AVAILABLE

fincher
03-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Hangar, thanks. I did read the post. Hope (and wish) I'm wrong since I started this whole mess of a thread.

But, the neither of the pics in this thread show the new, updated cap. I even called New Era twice and spoke with two different people who gave me the low-down on the specs, etc. New Era knew exactly what I was referring to and told me the hat is not approved by MLB for sale to the public.

The changes to the hat are subtle but not as subtle as previously mentioned here. I have gone to Grandstand, the SA at LaSalle and Ontario, in Niles, in Deerfield, Dick's. I'm sales and the past few weeks I stop in a store whenever I can since I drive all over the area.

Anyway...

Hangar18
03-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Hangar, thanks. I did read the post. Hope (and wish) I'm wrong since I started this whole mess of a thread.

But, the neither of the pics in this thread show the new, updated cap. I even called New Era twice and spoke with two different people who gave me the low-down on the specs, etc. New Era knew exactly what I was referring to and told me the hat is not approved by MLB for sale to the public.

Anyway...

Those pics posted by Brian26 DO SHOW the differences between the hats,
and they ARE out there. Brian26 in fact owns one of the new hats.
Doesnt do you any good to ask retailers about the new hat .........
Forget what NewEra is telling you, just follow the directions of the people here regarding the new hats.

fincher
03-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Hangar, no disrespect. I understand what everyone is saying but I stand by my claim. The stitching on the bottom of the hat extends all the way around the cap and the crown is higher, among other things. The pics below don't do justice but its the best I can find at the moment.

http://www.mrpdf.com/f/fincher/wsi/Garcia.gifhttp://www.mrpdf.com/f/fincher/wsi/Vasquez.gif
http://www.mrpdf.com/f/fincher/wsi/Vasquez_2.gifhttp://www.mrpdf.com/f/fincher/wsi/Ozzie.gif

Hangar18
03-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Hangar, no disrespect. I understand what everyone is saying but I stand by my claim. The stitching on the bottom of the hat extends all the way around the cap and the crown is higher, among other things. The pics below don't do justice but its the best I can find at the moment.

http://www.mrpdf.com/f/fincher/wsi/Garcia.gifhttp://www.mrpdf.com/f/fincher/wsi/Vasquez.gif
http://www.mrpdf.com/f/fincher/wsi/Vasquez_2.gifhttp://www.mrpdf.com/f/fincher/wsi/Ozzie.gif

Im not argueing with you .....You keep saying the new hat (in your pictures)
ISNT AVAILABLE. Im telling you (and others here) that the New hat is INDEED available at select locations.

Gremlin3
03-06-2006, 02:35 PM
There is a difference. I'm finally able to wear one. The sizing is slightly different than the past version. Before, the small/medium was too small and the med/large was slightly too big. The medium/large fits me perfectly now. I've been waiting forever for that hat to fit me.

I should have taken some flax seed oil to grow my head so it would have fit properly long ago, but I just couldnt justify it.

fincher
03-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Im not argueing with you .....You keep saying the new hat (in your pictures)
ISNT AVAILABLE. Im telling you (and others here) that the New hat is INDEED available at select locations.

I will continue to check other locations. But the big ones, ones mentioned here, do not have it. The Sports Authorities I've been to lately have tons of the previous version. Everyone has the previous version.

Sorry, I am going to side with what New Era has told me until I find one.

fincher
03-06-2006, 02:56 PM
I just talked to the hat buyer at Grandstand. His name is Josh. The hat is not available. It is in testing. The material is slightly different. The hat will not be available for sale this year. Just being tested. All things the New Era rep told me.

This thread is done. Let's get onto more important things like winning a spring training game!!

Thanks again!!!!! :smile:

NSSoxFan
03-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Let's get onto more important things like winning a spring training game!!

Eh.

Hangar18
03-06-2006, 04:29 PM
I just talked to the hat buyer at Grandstand. His name is Josh. The hat is not available. It is in testing. The material is slightly different. The hat will not be available for sale this year. Just being tested. All things the New Era rep told me.

This thread is done. Let's get onto more important things like winning a spring training game!!

I know that guy. Grandstand wont get the hat. certain retailers CAN get the hat. Brian26 was actually able to buy one. Why do you refuse to believe this? He even took pictures of BOTH hats for people to see ........

Baby Fisk
03-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Who says Sox fans aren't passionate? I'm getting edgy just reading this thread.

Brian26
03-06-2006, 05:38 PM
I know that guy. Grandstand wont get the hat. certain retailers CAN get the hat. Brian26 was actually able to buy one. Why do you refuse to believe this? He even took pictures of BOTH hats for people to see ........

I gave up on this guy a long time ago, Henry. I own both versions of the hat. I've tried on both versions of the hat. I have posted a photo of both versions of the hat. Yet, Fincher, who hasn't tried on both versions of the hat and doesn't own both versions of the hat is telling me that my new version isn't the same one as the ones in the photos that were taken halfway across the country, even though it looks exactly the same to me. :D:

Brian26
03-06-2006, 05:40 PM
This all goes out the window, by the way, if there are three versions of the hat right now. I'm 100% certain that I own two different versions of the hat. One was purchased a couple of months ago, and the other is 2 years old.

fincher
03-06-2006, 06:32 PM
This all goes out the window, by the way, if there are three versions of the hat right now. I'm 100% certain that I own two different versions of the hat. One was purchased a couple of months ago, and the other is 2 years old.

Brian, I do not doubt you have two versions of the hat. What I am referring to is the hat being used at spring training. Not trying to cause a ruckus here but that's what has happened.

Yes. There are three versions of the hat: the two you have and the one being used at spring training, which no store has because its not approved.

Obviously, I have not done a very good job of explaining my case. When the hat does come out, you will see what I am talking about.

fincher
03-06-2006, 06:51 PM

Why don't you call him? He will explain better than I can. Why don't you call New Era, too?

There is a NEW version that no one can get. Why can't you believe what I am saying?

pearso66
03-06-2006, 10:42 PM
I saw the new hat at Hat World/Lids. The only problem is they didn't have my size, which is m/l in that hat. I went to a 2nd one, and decided to buy the L/XL if htey didn't have my size in stock again, and they only had s/m. I have them emailing me when my size is in stock.

Unregistered
03-06-2006, 11:28 PM
I saw the new hat at Hat World/Lids. The only problem is they didn't have my size, which is m/l in that hat. I went to a 2nd one, and decided to buy the L/XL if htey didn't have my size in stock again, and they only had s/m. I have them emailing me when my size is in stock.
Careful. Fincher's head is going to explode... :wink:

fincher
03-06-2006, 11:41 PM
Careful. Fincher's head is going to explode... :wink:

Now that was funny! :smile:

soxfanreggie
03-07-2006, 02:21 AM
Looks like a pretty darn sweet hat!

Baby Fisk
03-07-2006, 09:13 AM
http://members.aol.com/dbc00pr/pict3.jpg
"For the love of GOD! LET THE BOY HAVE HIS NEW BP HAT!"

Hangar18
03-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Why don't you call him? He will explain better than I can. Why don't you call New Era, too?

There is a NEW version that no one can get. Why can't you believe what I am saying?

Brian has the OLD version of the BP hat. Brian recently purchased the NEW version of the BP hat. I went yesterday to Sports Authority in Lansing ......
and checked out the NEW hat. Its definitely different and fits different. I bought this NEW hat. I have it in the car now. Its a very cool hat.
This NEW HAT DOES EXIST