PDA

View Full Version : Banner Ceremony on TV?

thomas35forever
02-20-2006, 10:23 PM
I know ESPN is covering Opening Night and that the Sox are raising their championship banner that night. Are they gonna show the ceremony on TV?

TornLabrum
02-20-2006, 10:25 PM
I know ESPN is covering Opening Night and that the Sox are raising their championship banner that night. Are they gonna show the ceremony on TV?

You would think they would, but since we're not in New York or Boston, it's likely that they'll accidentally schedule a commercial for just then.

chisoxmike
02-20-2006, 10:26 PM
You would think they would, but since we're not in New York or Boston, it's likely that they'll accidentally schedule a commercial for just then.

Kind of like VH1 during Live8 or whatever that thing was over the summer.

Deebs14
02-20-2006, 10:37 PM

Sad but very true.:rolleyes:

SOXPHILE
02-20-2006, 10:56 PM
I'm guessing what they'll probably do is briefly show a quick summary of it right before the game, or as they come back from the first commercial break prior to the first pitch. You'll hear Jon Miller saying to Joe Morgan and the T.V. audience- "There you see, just a few minutes ago, the White Sox raising their 2005 World Championship flag. Chicago waited 88 years for that, Joe. Now, I know that's before even your time. Heh heh heh...". Joe Morgan will follow up with something like "Yeah, Jon. It was really a great moment here for these Chicago fans." Then, it's on to the game. But it will be nothing like they showed last year for when the Red Sox did it, where it was wall to wall coverage. I thought they were going to actually follow the sewing of the flag and the manufacturing of the rings all the way up to and including when they were given to each player, and the flag was run up the pole.

Deebs14
02-20-2006, 11:03 PM
I thought they were going to actually follow the sewing of the flag and the manufacturing of the rings all the way up to and including when they were given to each player, and the flag was run up the pole.

Yeah, with Peter Gammons leading the pack.

Baby Fisk
02-21-2006, 09:45 AM
But it will be nothing like they showed last year for when the Red Sox did it, where it was wall to wall coverage. I thought they were going to actually follow the sewing of the flag and the manufacturing of the rings all the way up to and including when they were given to each player, and the flag was run up the pole.
Damn your sarcasm, sir! The 2004 Boston championship was a touchstone moment in western civilization that we need to be reminded of daily, if not hourly!

allkenz
02-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Maybe Comcast will show the banner raising as part of their Opening Night coverage :smile:

MUScholar21
02-21-2006, 02:12 PM
I am sure that the locals pick up on it. It will probably be something along the lines of the flood of pre-game programs during the playoffs last year, where 2, 5, 7, 9, Fox, and Comcast all at various points had a pregame show. At least one of these guys will take the ball and run with it again.

Hangar18
02-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Will the FLAG RAISING be Televised? I would think so.
lets put it this way ........ CNN, ESPN, CLTV and WGN ALL Televised the blowing up of a stupid baseball .......

That being the Case, CNN, ESPN, CLTV & WGN will all BROADCAST LIVE THE RAISING OF THE SOX CHAMPIONSHIP BANNER

MarySwiss
02-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Okay, I have a really important question. (Seriously!) Do we know FOR A FACT that the opening game will be on ESPN? Everywhere? In its entirety?

Reason I ask, I am planning to pull together an Opening Day Pool Party out here in the tropics for Ariz. WSI folk--and any other WSI'er in the vicinity at the time--at my humble abode.

HotelWhiteSox
02-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Okay, I have a really important question. (Seriously!) Do we know FOR A FACT that the opening game will be on ESPN? Everywhere? In its entirety?

Reason I ask, I am planning to pull together an Opening Day Pool Party out here in the tropics for Ariz. WSI folk--and any other WSI'er in the vicinity at the time--at my humble abode.

Actually ESPN2

thomas35forever
02-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Will the FLAG RAISING be Televised? I would think so.
lets put it this way ........ CNN, ESPN, CLTV and WGN ALL Televised the blowing up of a stupid baseball .......

So did MSNBC. That's what I saw it on. I'm just guessing the Fox News Channel carried it too.

soxinem1
02-21-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm guessing what they'll probably do is briefly show a quick summary of it right before the game, or as they come back from the first commercial break prior to the first pitch. You'll hear Jon Miller saying to Joe Morgan and the T.V. audience- "There you see, just a few minutes ago, the White Sox raising their 2005 World Championship flag. Chicago waited 88 years for that, Joe. Now, I know that's before even your time. Heh heh heh...". Joe Morgan will follow up with something like "Yeah, Jon. It was really a great moment here for these Chicago fans." Then, it's on to the game. But it will be nothing like they showed last year for when the Red Sox did it, where it was wall to wall coverage. I thought they were going to actually follow the sewing of the flag and the manufacturing of the rings all the way up to and including when they were given to each player, and the flag was run up the pole.

The ceremony will be preempted by one of those Geico commercials, with the geco wearing a Sox jersey!

chisoxmike
02-21-2006, 11:08 PM
I am sure that the locals pick up on it. It will probably be something along the lines of the flood of pre-game programs during the playoffs last year, where 2, 5, 7, 9, Fox, and Comcast all at various points had a pregame show. At least one of these guys will take the ball and run with it again.

Local stations can not broadcast it while it is on ESPN. It probably will be shown on the sports casts on the local news, maybe even as a news story before the sports cast. You will only be able to see the banner ceremony on ESPN or at the game. Or you will have to wait until the sports casts.

koch44
02-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Local stations can not broadcast it while it is on ESPN. I probably will be shown on the sports casts on the local news, maybe even as a news story before the sports cast. You will only be able to see the banner ceremony on ESPN or at the game. Or you will have to wait until the sports casts.
From what I read, ESPN only has exclusive rights to the game itself, not stuff that happens before.