PDA

View Full Version : The Big Break

South Side
02-20-2006, 05:37 PM
I just saw on the news that the Sox taped an episode of The Big Break, a show on the Golf Channel. They didn't say when it will air though. Keep an eye out.

soxfan43
02-20-2006, 06:17 PM
did they say which players?

CHISOXFAN13
02-20-2006, 06:26 PM
did they say which players?

I heard Ryan Baker just say A.J., Pods, Crede, Ozzie and Harold are among those who participated.

DaleJRFan
02-20-2006, 06:47 PM
From Scott Reifert’s blog….

Golf News
The White Sox and Diamondbacks take part in our annual charity golf tournament at Tucson National Golf Course tomorrow in advance of next week's PGA Tucson Open. Fourteen White Sox players and coaches volunteered their time to take part and help raise funds for the Tucson Conquistadores, a local group. The annual tourney is a blast, as you play with a PGA professional, use a caddie and walk the same course the pros do.
Monday, four Sox players and four coaches are going to match golf skills as The All-Star Big Break comes to town. AJ Pierzynski, Scott Podsednik, Jermaine Dye and Jon Garland take on Ozzie, Tim Raines, Harold Baines and Greg Walker in a number of skill challenges.

TDog
02-20-2006, 11:08 PM
I know nothing about golf except that Harold Baines has a new set of custom-made clubs.

Professor
02-21-2006, 07:53 AM
Story about this on mlb.com: link (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060220&content_id=1317119&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb).

DaleJRFan
02-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Here's another link from SouthSideSox:
http://southsidesox.com/story/2006/2/21/21620/8313

SOXintheBURGH
02-21-2006, 11:32 AM
I saw the Red Cubs do the same thing last off season, it was actually pretty funny. Whales was first cut I think.

DaleJRFan
02-21-2006, 01:00 PM
the Packers episode was pretty funny. Brett Favre could go to the Senior Tour Q School if he wanted. He's got game.

SOX LA Mikey
02-22-2006, 03:13 AM
Back in LA tonight after a 4 day Phoenix-Tucson-Phoenix weekend,
I went to Both of these golf events, primarily to get autographs
on World Series stuff. I read about the Big Break on the Trib website
and I was about the only "fan" there. There were some ex-Chicagoans
who lived at the golf course, but not much of an audience except the film crew and Reifert, Daryl Boston, 'The Demon' ...and me
It was players, Garland, Dye, Pods & AJ vs. coaches, Ozzie, Baines,
Rock Raines and KW subbing for Walker. The only good golfer among the
coaches was Raines so they got SMOKED, swept in all events. (This means
the Sox players have only lost one game since late September)

I missed the glass breaking, but the highlight of the show will probably be the pitching (wedge) competition, KW leading off, hits his first shot right into the hole. from (appx.) 50 yards out. but the rules were that the other team could throw out the best shot, so it didn't even count. Bummer Kenny, but it was a nice shot anyway.

All the competitors had their own carts and the events were spread out.
The Highlight for me was when I started walking to the next hole and Ozzie
pulls up and offers me a ride in his cart. For a guy known for talking a lot,
it seemed odd that I was the one trying to start conversation. still it was
very cool of him to give me a lift, even if he didn't say much.
I had a great time and got some cool stuff signed by the 05 WS heroes.