PDA

View Full Version : Overweight pitcher cut immediately as pitchers & catchers report

SouthSide_HitMen
02-20-2006, 05:03 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060218&content_id=1314653&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

In a matter of minutes on Saturday, Josh Hancock went from being a Reds pitcher to a cautionary tale.

Manager Jerry Narron's message to his players has been to be ready to work. He drove that point home by making an example out of Hancock. The right-hander was released by the club just before pitchers and catchers set foot on the field for their first Spring Training workout.
Narron said that Hancock, a non-roster player, reported to camp 17 pounds overweight......

Hancock was 1-0 with a 1.93 ERA in 11 relief appearances last season, but he spent most of the year on the disabled list with a strained right groin.

JUribe1989
02-20-2006, 05:09 PM
If there was ever a Reds pitcher that had an ERA under 4 last year, it shouldn't matter if he weighed 500 pounds. That's pretty rare in Cincinatti.

Nice work Jerry!

SOX ADDICT '73
02-20-2006, 07:12 PM
If there was ever a Reds pitcher that had an ERA under 4 last year, it shouldn't matter if he weighed 500 pounds. That's pretty rare in Cincinatti.

Nice work Jerry!
I guess they prefer pitchers who weigh 193 with an ERA of 4.00 instead of the other way around. Thank God Ozzie doesn't agree...
:jenks:
"Amen to that!"

RichFitztightly
02-20-2006, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't mind if the Sox invited him to camp. You can never have too many bullpen candidates and I'm sure he's really motivated to prove himself now.

jamokes
02-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Josh was at one time a highly touted young pitcher.....I guess if you want to make a point, do it quick.

Tekk
02-21-2006, 02:34 AM
There has to be more to this story.

veeter
02-21-2006, 11:35 AM
I like the move though. Look out cubs the Reds mean business.

SOXintheBURGH
02-21-2006, 11:36 AM
I like the move though. Look out cubs the Reds mean business.

In the battle for 5th place?

lostletters
02-22-2006, 01:46 AM
KW would be wise to send an invite to this guy. It is another low risk, and potentially high reward invite. Jenks was in a similiar circumstance before he joined the White Sox. Talented pitcher, had an injury, abandoned by his previous team (the angels), and considered to be out of shape. We need more bullpen talent, and he certainly seems more talented then most of the other invites. Plus I don't think weight is as big a deal to the White Sox. I also know this pitcher has been a big guy (a bit overweight) throughout his career. Plus he may offer some security. I imagine Kenny was on his cell phone the minute he heard this went down, calling this pitchers agent.