PDA

View Full Version : Ruh-roh Raggy, trouble in Cubdumb again?

Flight #24
02-20-2006, 03:05 PM
Take it FWIW, but from BP's latest "Under the Knife":
You can't have spring training anymore without pitcher problems or at least rumors of said problems. Those usually start with the Cubs, and this year is no different. Reliable sources--the same ones that tipped us early to Mark Prior (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/pecota/priorma01.php)'s Achilles problem--now tell us that Prior is having shoulder problems. The Cubs deny this and point to Prior's work on the mound. Prior was doing towel drills on Saturday, but this is the same type of work he was doing last year when there was a problem. According to our best sources in Mesa, Prior looks "weak and sick." Until he throws, we just won't know, though I'd like to believe Larry Rothschild.

I know he was supposedly sick and in the ER, but given the tendenciesof the Flubs medical releases, I'd read that to mean the airline lost his right arm on the flight down to AZ.

TaylorStSox
02-20-2006, 03:10 PM
I hope it's not true. He's never really caught a break. I'm really interested to see what he can do in an injury free season.

Hangar18
02-20-2006, 03:13 PM
I hope it's not true. He's never really caught a break. I'm really interested to see what he can do in an injury free season.

This is what happens when you put on that uniform .......... Nobody told him to be a Cub

whitesoxwin
02-20-2006, 03:15 PM
This is what happens when you put on that uniform .......... Nobody told him to be a Cub

That's a big 10-4 good buddy!
Hello Houston, there is trouble in Cubdom.

TaylorStSox
02-20-2006, 03:16 PM
Nobody told him to be a Cub

It never ends with you, does it?

SOXPHILE
02-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Take it FWIW, but from BP's latest "Under the Knife":

I know he was supposedly sick and in the ER, but given the tendenciesof the Flubs medical releases, I'd read that to mean the airline lost his right arm on the flight down to AZ.

I read about that the other day too, that he had to go to the emergency room back in December for some mysterious illness. In the same vein of how we interpret medical releases from the Cubs, I guess I should take that to mean he was exploring the Congo and contracted malaria, yellow fever, and had his elbow partially torn off by an alligator. He will be expected to start throwing from a mound again in June of 2007.

cheeses_h_rice
02-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Unbelievable.

Only on the North Side, I guess...

DumpJerry
02-20-2006, 03:34 PM
In late breaking news, Prior downed Wood in a simulated game 5-2. Prior gave up only 4 hits and two walks in 7 innings while Wood struggled early with his control in the first three innings where he gave up 8 hits around 2-3 KOs per inning before settling down to strike out 20 batters before it was all over.

In other news, upon hearing about the results of the above simulated game, Ronnie Woo Woo made reservations in October at the Wrigley Sheraton for a big party.

SOecks
02-20-2006, 03:35 PM
That sucks. Even though he's on the Cubs, I do enjoy watching him pitch especially when he's on his game. It's too bad because he has so much potential. Good luck to him.

SOecks
02-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Also, if you want to hear more on this, turn on the Score. Boers & Bernstein are talking about it now and I'm sure will be talking about it the rest of the day. I just caught the tail end of their interview with the guy who broke this.

SOXPHILE
02-20-2006, 03:37 PM
In other news, upon hearing about the results of the above simulated game, Ronnie Woo Woo made reservations in October at the Wrigley Sheraton for a big party.

Did he use his simulated cash money, or his simulated credit card to make those reservations ?

SOecks
02-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Did he use his simulated cash money, or his simulated credit card to make those reservations ?

He bartered using the simulated bridge and crown work in his mouth.

Whitesox029
02-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I am too, but I can wait until he's wearing a different uniform. As long as he wears cubbie blue, I couldn't care less that he's hurt.

Nellie_Fox
02-20-2006, 04:14 PM
I hope it's not true. He's never really caught a break. I'm really interested to see what he can do in an injury free season.:whiner:

TaylorStSox
02-20-2006, 04:18 PM
:whiner:

Sorry. [insert generic, tired, lame antiCub statement here]

Tekijawa
02-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Looks like they have a Closer for their simulated games too!

Jason Simontacchi is experiencing more discomfort in his shoulder and will be examined by Dr. James Andrews on Monday.
Not a good sign as he attempts a comeback from Oct. 2004 surgery. Simontacchi isn't expected to have a spot on the Cubs on Opening Day, but if healthy, he could resurface as a middle reliever later on. Feb. 19 - 6:47 pm et

MarySwiss
02-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Looks like they have a Closer for their simulated games too!

Jason Simontacchi is experiencing more discomfort in his shoulder and will be examined by Dr. James Andrews on Monday.
Not a good sign as he attempts a comeback from Oct. 2004 surgery. Simontacchi isn't expected to have a spot on the Cubs on Opening Day, but if healthy, he could resurface as a middle reliever later on. Feb. 19 - 6:47 pm et

What I want to know is, will the Cuubs also be using any of their "potential" players in the 2006 simulated games? You know, like Cedeno--the potential Jeter. Or Pierre--the potential Podsednik. Maybe they should just tear down Wrigley and pretend they have a stadium. :tongue:

TaylorStSox
02-20-2006, 04:53 PM
What I want to know is, will the Cuubs also be using any of their "potential" players in the 2006 simulated games? You know, like Cedeno--the potential Jeter. Or Pierre--the potential Podsednik. Maybe they should just tear down Wrigley and pretend they have a stadium. :tongue:

Pierre's the "potential" Podsednik? Wow. I love Scott as much as the next guy, but his career best BA. is only .009 higher than Pierre's career AVERAGE.

Ol' No. 2
02-20-2006, 04:55 PM
What I want to know is, will the Cuubs also be using any of their "potential" players in the 2006 simulated games? You know, like Cedeno--the potential Jeter. Or Pierre--the potential Podsednik. Maybe they should just tear down Wrigley and pretend they have a stadium. :tongue: Check out the poll (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/) on the Cubune website.

Will Juan Pierre have the same effect on the Cubs that Scott Podsednik had on the Sox?

As of now:

Yes: 58%
No: 35%
Podsednik had no effect: 7% (Must be the BP crowd.:o:)

MarySwiss
02-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Pierre's the "potential" Podsednik? Wow. I love Scott as much as the next guy, but his career best BA. is only .009 higher than Pierre's career AVERAGE.

Yes, but the "potential" part has to do with getting on base and stealing. From what I'm reading and hearing, that's supposed to do for the Cubs what Scottie did for the Sox last year. Thing is, let's wait and see if whoever bats in the 2-hole for the Cubs does what Iguchi did in that spot. Or even comes close.

TaylorStSox
02-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Yes, but the "potential" part has to do with getting on base and stealing. From what I'm reading and hearing, that's supposed to do for the Cubs what Scottie did for the Sox last year. Thing is, let's wait and see if whoever bats in the 2-hole for the Cubs does what Iguchi did in that spot. Or even comes close.

Pierre's just a better all around player than Pods. I do agree though. The 2 hitter's the key. I don't even know who that would be for the Cubs, but I doubt it'll be anybody as good as Iguchi.

MarySwiss
02-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Check out the poll (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/) on the Cubune website.

Will Juan Pierre have the same effect on the Cubs that Scott Podsednik had on the Sox?

As of now:

Duh, well yeah! That's why the Sox only have a 93% chance of winning the 2005 World Series!

ChiSoxLifer
02-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Check out the poll (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/) on the Cubune website.

As of now:

If it means leading the cubs to the World Series, then it's 100 % no.

Palehose Pete
02-20-2006, 05:30 PM
If the rumors are true and Prior might spend more time on the DL this season, then the Sox are lucky that Tejada for Prior and Prior for Contreras+prospects trade between the Cubs, Orioles and Sox didn't pan out. Whew.

By the way, good baseball is good baseball and I thought that when Prior was healthy, he had electric stuff and was fun to watch. Best of luck to him.

kittle42
02-20-2006, 05:45 PM
By the way, good baseball is good baseball and I thought that when Prior was healthy, he had electric stuff and was fun to watch. Best of luck to him.

He's pretty awesome.

Hangar18
02-20-2006, 06:09 PM
It never ends with you, does it?

What never ends with me? Stating the truth that he didnt have to be a Cub? I repeat .......He didnt have to be a Cub. He chose to be a Cub. stop defending the Messiah, he wont save you or the cubs

SoxSpeed22
02-20-2006, 06:17 PM
The wheels completely flew off for him ever since game 6. Superstitious people would think different, but we all know there's no such thing as curses.:redneck

MarySwiss
02-20-2006, 06:20 PM

Agreed. It's sad when someone with his kind of talent is plagued by injury. Kind of reminds me in a way of Gale Sayers; a beautiful runner, but just too damn fragile.

The Critic
02-20-2006, 06:24 PM
What never ends with me? Stating the truth that he didnt have to be a Cub? I repeat .......He didnt have to be a Cub. He chose to be a Cub. stop defending the Messiah, he wont save you or the cubs

Well, he was drafted by the Cubs, so that did limit his options quite a bit.

As for Pierre, he will have a similar effect on the field as Podsednik. Distracting the pitcher, stealing bases, causing the hitters behind him to see more fastballs. He WILL do that. As for the implied effect ( see 10/26/05 ), I seriously doubt that, but in baseball you never really know. That's why they play the games.

TomBradley72
02-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Agreed. It's sad when someone with his kind of talent is plagued by injury. Kind of reminds me in a way of Gale Sayers; a beautiful runner, but just too damn fragile.

Mark Prior in the same sentence as Gale Sayers? Blasphemy! :cool:

Now if we want to discuss the tragedies of Carlos May's thumb, Pete Ward's back, Britt Burns leg problems, Jason Bere's arm injury....I'm right there with ya.:gulp:

Ol' No. 2
02-20-2006, 06:33 PM

As for Pierre, he will have a similar effect on the field as Podsednik. Distracting the pitcher, stealing bases, causing the hitters behind him to see more fastballs. He WILL do that. As for the implied effect ( see 10/26/05 ), I seriously doubt that, but in baseball you never really know. That's why they play the games.I don't think Pierre will be as effective mainly because they don't have the right hitters behind him. How many times did you see the Sox score a run in the first inning without the benefit of a hit? Walk, stolen base, sac bunt, sac fly. The Cubs aren't built to execute like that.

MarySwiss
02-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Mark Prior in the same sentence as Gale Sayers? Blasphemy! :cool:

Well, it wasn't in the same sentence---exactly. :tongue:

SBSoxFan
02-20-2006, 06:54 PM

I thought Minnesota had the top pick that year, but Prior said he wouldn't sign with them so Minnesota drafted Mauer instead, and the Cubs pick Prior # 2. I'm glad Prior's not in Mn!

The Critic
02-20-2006, 06:57 PM
I thought Minnesota had the top pick that year, but Prior said he wouldn't sign with them so Minnesota drafted Mauer instead, and the Cubs pick Prior # 2. I'm glad Prior's not in Mn!
It wasn't that Prior wouldn't sign with the Twins, it was the fact that Mauer is a hometown boy and would sign for less of a bonus than Prior would have.

LongLiveFisk
02-20-2006, 06:57 PM
If the rumors are true and Prior might spend more time on the DL this season, then the Sox are lucky that Tejada for Prior and Prior for Contreras+prospects trade between the Cubs, Orioles and Sox didn't pan out.

Yeah but for all we know this trade idea might never have come up at all if the Cubs had any confidence in Prior's ability to stay off the DL. Maybe Baltimore turned it down, understanding the risk factor.

The Critic
02-20-2006, 06:59 PM
I don't think Pierre will be as effective mainly because they don't have the right hitters behind him. How many times did you see the Sox score a run in the first inning without the benefit of a hit? Walk, stolen base, sac bunt, sac fly. The Cubs aren't built to execute like that.
If they stick Walker at #2, he's a pretty good fastball hitter, plus being lefty he'll be able to pull the ball to the right side to advance Pierre. Not sure how well he bunts, I'm guessing not too well. I agree that the Cub offense isn't built to manufacture runs, but I think Pierre's going to be a huge benefit for them.

Hangar18
02-20-2006, 07:04 PM

Sort of. Minnesota had the #1 pick, and wouldve drafted The Messiah had he not immediately stated he wanted $10,000,000 dollars. The Twinks of course were quietly getting ready to be folded, so why throw away all that money? That was more the thinking. The Cubs got very "lucky" (if you want to call it that) he fell to them.

Hangar18
02-20-2006, 07:09 PM
......... but I think Pierre's going to be a huge benefit for them.

It was an absolute STEAL they were able to get a top lead-off/stolen-base guy like Juan Pierre for nothing (same thing I said when they got Ramirez and same thing I said when they got Lee). They are very lucky that baseball has teams in very bad shape, otherwise they dont acquire those players.

TaylorStSox
02-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Sort of. Minnesota had the #1 pick, and wouldve drafted The Messiah had he not immediately stated he wanted $10,000,000 dollars. The Twinks of course were quietly getting ready to be folded, so why throw away all that money? That was more the thinking. The Cubs got very "lucky" (if you want to call it that) he fell to them.

That's pure speculation. Come with some evidence that says the Twins would have definitely drafted Prior. Maybe they drafted the homegrown kid who's probably the best catching prospect of the last 20 years because he was the best choice for them. A catcher of Mauer's ability is one thing that's more rare than an ace SP. You'll never admit it though. It doesn't go along with your obsession with everything Clark and Addison. Just go ahead and get season tickets already. It's so obvious that you're a closet fan.

SOXSINCE'70
02-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Jason Bere's arm injury....

Prior is really beginning to remind me of Jason Bere.
He set the world on fire in 1993 and '94.His elbow problems
started in '95,and he was never the same pitcher again.
I believe elbow guru Dr.James Andrews did the TJ (Tommy John)
procedure on Bere after the 1995 season.:(:

MarySwiss
02-20-2006, 09:37 PM

As for Pierre, he will have a similar effect on the field as Podsednik. Distracting the pitcher, stealing bases, causing the hitters behind him to see more fastballs. He WILL do that. As for the implied effect ( see 10/26/05 ), I seriously doubt that, but in baseball you never really know. That's why they play the games.

I don't think Pierre will be as effective mainly because they don't have the right hitters behind him. How many times did you see the Sox score a run in the first inning without the benefit of a hit? Walk, stolen base, sac bunt, sac fly. The Cubs aren't built to execute like that.

Once again, yup! I am not a big Corey Patterson fan, but I did wonder sometimes how much better he would have been on some other--ANY other--team.
Well, we shall see!

slavko
02-20-2006, 10:43 PM

I'm remembering about the same thing except that the amount he wanted was $12M and the Twins entire payroll at the time was $20M.

Craig Grebeck
02-20-2006, 10:52 PM
Yes, let's wish ill will on a player just because he is a Cub. Hangar, get over the blinding Cub hate and realize that Prior fulfilling his potential will be good for the game.

DumpJerry
02-20-2006, 11:17 PM
Couple of thoughts:
1. I believe the Twins had their hearts set on Mauer. They wanted the next Johnny Bench. After all, a phenomenal catcher will take you to the Promised Land before one of five starters on your squad. They did a world-wide search for the next Bench and they think they found him in their own backyard. In hindsight, I would have picked Mauer over Prior if, at the time of the draft, neither player had any health concerns.

2. Dusty Baker needs to be taken out back and shot in the head. He was sacked in San Fran for overusing his starters. He is doing the same thing here. Look at how Wood and Prior get get "over use" type of injuries each year and Zambrano get his inflamed elbow in August and September each year. The other two starting spots for the Cubs keeps changing, so no one guy has the opportunity to wear out his joints.

Prior needs to tell his agent to get him on the White Sox so Hermy can make him good.....

I_Liked_Manuel
02-20-2006, 11:56 PM
That's pure speculation. Come with some evidence that says the Twins would have definitely drafted Prior. Maybe they drafted the homegrown kid who's probably the best catching prospect of the last 20 years because he was the best choice for them. A catcher of Mauer's ability is one thing that's more rare than an ace SP. You'll never admit it though. It doesn't go along with your obsession with everything Clark and Addison. Just go ahead and get season tickets already. It's so obvious that you're a closet fan.

you're pretty far off base here

doublem23
02-21-2006, 12:18 AM
I'll believe Pierre will have the same impact on the Cubs that Podsednik did when the Cubs field a #2 hitter as good as Tadahito. Until then, no dice.

soxinem1
02-21-2006, 02:50 PM
In late breaking news, Prior downed Wood in a simulated game 5-2. Prior gave up only 4 hits and two walks in 7 innings while Wood struggled early with his control in the first three innings where he gave up 8 hits around 2-3 KOs per inning before settling down to strike out 20 batters before it was all over.

Is that why Ronnie was standing around the Loop begging for money?

Hitmen77
02-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Is there any basis to this rumor?

Regarding the Cubs, all I care about is that they don't make the playoffs. I don't think I need to rely on a Prior injury for that to happen. I don't like the idea of crowing about his injury. What I do think is fair game is the Cub-dumb tendency to always have a "messiah" on their roster.

spiffie
02-21-2006, 05:01 PM
I'll believe Pierre will have the same impact on the Cubs that Podsednik did when the Cubs field a #2 hitter as good as Tadahito. Until then, no dice.
http://www.minnesota-sports.com/images/phf-aade032.gif

You doubt me?

GoSox2K3
02-22-2006, 11:04 AM
From today's Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca221.html

SOXPHILE
02-22-2006, 11:11 AM
From today's Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca221.html

Nice non denial-denial by the Messiah. It will be interesting to see what happens on March 1, when they start their exhibition games. Will he still be throwing towels around from flat ground ? Even though he's a jackass, they are right about Zambrano, although I predict he will miss a start or two before the All Star break, due to "a little arm soreness".

Hangar18
02-22-2006, 11:18 AM
http://www.minnesota-sports.com/images/phf-aade032.gif

You doubt me?

This is a good point, I keep forgetting about Jacque Jones.........
He is going to go OFF in the weaker National League.