PDA

View Full Version : Awwww....Magglio's sad he missed the WS

Flight #24
02-20-2006, 10:54 AM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060220/SPORTS02/602200387/1050/SPORTS

"I was feeling sad I wasn't there," he said.
In their first year without Ordonez, the White Sox swept Houston for their first world title in 88 years.
Ordonez, the White Sox's former cleanup hitter, joined the Tigers as a free agent before last season. The Tigers finished 28 games behind the first-place White Sox in the American League Central.
"It's hard to see your teammates win the World Series," Ordonez said. "You spent your whole career there and left one year early. I didn't know they were going to win the World Series."

No, you didn't know they'd win. You only knew the Tigers wouldn't. And that you didn't really care as long as you got maximum $$$.

TornLabrum
02-20-2006, 10:58 AM
I feel so sorry for Maggs. If only he'd known the Sox were going to win the Wolrd Series, he might have signed with the Sox and not said anything bad about Ozzie.

And as my late dad used to say, "And if the dog hadn't stopped to ****, he'd have caught a rabbit."

Professor
02-20-2006, 11:02 AM
One reason the Sox won was BECAUSE you weren't on the team, Maggs. They had a healthy right fielder and extra money to use for other players. Nitwit.

likeawarlord
02-20-2006, 11:02 AM
No, you didn't know they'd win. You only knew the Tigers wouldn't. And that you didn't really care as long as you got maximum $$$.

can't be said any better than that.

Baby Fisk
02-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Enjoy Detroit.

hsnterprize
02-20-2006, 11:06 AM
I hate to say it, but the Sox getting rid of Magglio was the best thing they could've done. Jermaine Dye would've never come here if Maggs was still here...where would he have played?

If Magglio is upset about missing the World Series last year, methinks he should've been a little more tactful and such in negotiating his contract. That's what happens when you jump ship too early. At least he got his money, and that's all that matter anyway...right? :borass: "Hey...it's all about the money!!! Who cares if you really win something, right?"

DumpJerry
02-20-2006, 11:14 AM
:violin:

Poor Maggs. You know what? If you were with the Sox last year, you still would have missed the WS because with all the $$$ we would have paid you, there would have been no AJ, Iguchi, Dye, etc......

Hangar18
02-20-2006, 11:23 AM
If Magglio is upset about missing the World Series last year, methinks he should've been a little more tactful and such in negotiating his contract. That's what happens when you jump ship too early. At least he got his money, and that's all that matter anyway...right?

well said

miker
02-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Enjoy Detroit.
Wow, that's cruel...

Palehose Pete
02-20-2006, 11:29 AM
What moroon. What a gull-a-bull. What a nin-com-poop. I did not retire my Maggs jersey last year even after all the trash-talking that occurred after he signed with the Tigers, but now I am putting up the jersey until further notice. Now he gets it, I guess. Too bad for him it's a season too late. I still remember that story about Dye getting a larger offer from another team even before he signed with the Sox, but he turned it down because he said that he had given his word to Kenny that he's play for the Sox. I think that, all in all, what goes around comes around. Dye is the WS MVP and has a ring and Maggs just has his money and an empty feeling.

ondafarm
02-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Maggs may have money to burn but Dye has a WS ring and a WSMVP trophy.

Who should be happier?

Hangar18
02-20-2006, 11:38 AM
I did not retire my Maggs jersey last year even after all the trash-talking that occurred after he signed with the Tigers, but now I am putting up the jersey until further notice.

I still remember that story about Dye getting a larger offer from another team even before he signed with the Sox, but he turned it down because he said that he had given his word to Kenny that he's play for the Sox. I think that, all in all, what goes around comes around.......... and Maggs just has his money and an empty feeling.

Thats what makes me sad about the whole affair. Maggs was my favorite player for a little while. The guy could straight-up, flat out hit. During that cub series at The Urinal, he put on a clinic and everyone knew his name after that series (though he still got little press here in this town). For him to have let $$$$$$$ get in the way ................

Realist
02-20-2006, 11:40 AM
What moroon. What a gull-a-bull. What a nin-com-poop. I did not retire my Maggs jersey last year even after all the trash-talking that occurred after he signed with the Tigers, but now I am putting up the jersey until further notice. Now he gets it, I guess. Too bad for him it's a season too late. I still remember that story about Dye getting a larger offer from another team even before he signed with the Sox, but he turned it down because he said that he had given his word to Kenny that he's play for the Sox. I think that, all in all, what goes around comes around. Dye is the WS MVP and has a ring and Maggs just has his money and an empty feeling.

Great post but it's "nin-cow-poop".

http://my.cybersoup.com/go/img/gx/Animals/Cows/cow18_b_150_111.gif

Palehose Pete
02-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Great post but it's "nin-cow-poop".

http://my.cybersoup.com/go/img/gx/Animals/Cows/cow18_b_150_111.gif

Thanks. Great picture!!

Deebs14
02-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Thats what makes me sad about the whole affair. Maggs was my favorite player for a little while. The guy could straight-up, flat out hit. During that cub series at The Urinal, he put on a clinic and everyone knew his name after that series (though he still got little press here in this town). For him to have let $$$$$$$ get in the way ................

Same here. If he wasn't such a greedy SOB, I would have no problem rooting for him to do well (Not while playing against the Sox obviously).

kevingrt
02-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Very interesting article in the Detroit Free Press on Magglio's reaction to his former White Sox winning the World Series. I don't know what to think of it. Think for yourself I guess. And how do we react next year when we see him for the first time in an opposing teams uniform? I don't remember seeing him last year, forgive me if I am wrong.

Here is the link: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060220/SPORTS02/602200387/1050/SPORTS

BeefyD
02-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Yeah, he played the 2nd half for Detroit. However, he even says in the article that he "didn't feel strong" and his numbers proved that.

Put it this way, if Mags was still here, we may not have the trophy. Dye had some clutch hitting for us, and I don't know if a sub-par Mags would've done the job.

wdelaney72
02-20-2006, 12:25 PM
The "pain" he was feeling was self-inflicted. As has been reported multiple times, he turned town a $60 million cash contract, which was on the table after the collision.

I loved Maggs when he was here, but he's long gone, and I could care less what he thinks about the WS victory, cause he had no part of it.

Hangar18
02-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Very interesting article in the Detroit Free Press on Magglio's reaction to his former White Sox winning the World Series. I don't know what to think of it. Think for yourself I guess. And how do we react next year when we see him for the first time in an opposing teams uniform? I don't remember seeing him last year, forgive me if I am wrong.

Here is the link: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060220/SPORTS02/602200387/1050/SPORTS

Feel free to stop by some of the other threads discussing the same subject:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66738

kevingrt
02-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Feel free to delete this then, sorry, to lazy to use search button, lol.

Blob
02-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Wow, that's cruel...

Not really, he chose to be there.

ssirish317
02-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Is the link to the story not working for anyone else????

Deebs14
02-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Is the link to the story not working for anyone else????

Worked fine for me.

Ol' No. 2
02-20-2006, 02:35 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060220/SPORTS02/602200387/1050/SPORTS

No, you didn't know they'd win. You only knew the Tigers wouldn't. And that you didn't really care as long as you got maximum $$$.http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/cga0273l.jpg

depy48
02-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Plus if Maggs stayed we wouldnt have our weekly "move Dye to first base" discussion. Also can Maggs play shortstop in time of dire need?

gobears1987
02-20-2006, 02:53 PM
I remember seeing Maggs play against the Sox in September. I proudly booed his greedy little ass.

Uncle_Patrick
02-20-2006, 02:54 PM
I love Maggs for what he did when he was on the White Sox. However, I think Maggs is just "sad" that he missed out on the spotlight. Even before his injury, I had a feeling that Maggs would not be returning to the White Sox. It seemed to me like he was looking for a team that could provide the bright lights and big-time media attention that the Sox did not have. I just don't buy the Sox-love he seems to claim to have.

TornLabrum
02-20-2006, 02:56 PM
I love Maggs for what he did when he was on the White Sox. However, I think Maggs is just "sad" that he missed out on the spotlight. Even before his injury, I had a feeling that Maggs would not be returning to the White Sox. It seemed to me like he was looking for a team that could provide the bright lights and big-time media attention that the Sox did not have. I just don't buy the Sox-love he seems to claim to have.
And of course that would be Detroit!

Baby Fisk
02-20-2006, 03:03 PM
And of course that would be Detroit!
:rolling:
Move over Big Apple...

HotelWhiteSox
02-20-2006, 03:12 PM
Ozzie wins.

MarySwiss
02-20-2006, 03:52 PM
:violin:

Poor Maggs. You know what? If you were with the Sox last year, you still would have missed the WS because with all the $$$ we would have paid you, there would have been no AJ, Iguchi, Dye, etc......

And that says it all!

ewokpelts
02-21-2006, 12:27 AM
What moroon. What a gull-a-bull. What a nin-com-poop. I did not retire my Maggs jersey last year even after all the trash-talking that occurred after he signed with the Tigers, but now I am putting up the jersey until further notice. Now he gets it, I guess. Too bad for him it's a season too late. I still remember that story about Dye getting a larger offer from another team even before he signed with the Sox, but he turned it down because he said that he had given his word to Kenny that he's play for the Sox. I think that, all in all, what goes around comes around. Dye is the WS MVP and has a ring and Maggs just has his money and an empty feeling.Oh,
And Dye also said he wanted to play on a contender.
Gene

doublem23
02-21-2006, 02:25 AM
I'm sure he can buy a replica ring at the Hall of Fame Gift Shop the first time the Tigers come to town to get swept. :rolleyes:

I still have a Magglio Ordonez bobblehead doll I got at Sox Park, oh, 3-4 years ago (I think it was Cal Ripken's last game in Chicago, as well)... Never sure what to do with it... Maybe there's still some moron in this world willing to pay for it. :dunno:

FP_sox
02-21-2006, 12:11 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060220/SPORTS02/602200387/1050

Quote:

"It's hard to see your teammates win the World Series," Ordonez said. "You spent your whole career there and left one year early. I didn't know they were going to win the World Series."

Too bad for you Maggs!

:tongue:

He gone
02-21-2006, 12:33 PM
This was posted already:?:

Maggs chose the $$$$ over staying with a contender. If he would of stayed we would have had Borchard or Timo playing Rightfield while he was on the DL. No money for Dye or AJ. And more importantly NO WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!!!

manders_01
02-21-2006, 12:41 PM

Hindsight is 20/20!

zach074
02-21-2006, 03:21 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060220/SPORTS02/602200387/1050

Quote:

You mean Magglio isn't physic?

White Sox Randy
02-21-2006, 03:27 PM
As soon as KW said there would be no Maggs deal, I said that this is the best thing that could happen to the Sox - posted it right here.

Now, I didn't think they would go all the way. But, it was obvious that they needed pitching more than they needed him.

Steelrod
02-21-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:

Too bad for you Maggs!

:tongue:
A good teammate and good guy would say, I saw them celebrate and was happy for them!
Besides going for the money, Maggs you continue to show what kind of guy you are! Funny, I don't miss you at all, and no longer care about you, since all you have showed is your greed and jealosy.

A.T. Money
02-21-2006, 04:57 PM
I remember he said the "White Sox don't care about winning."

Enjoy your time in that craphole city. Either way, he's still rich right?

ChiSoxGirl
02-21-2006, 09:53 PM

This is one of those articles that, as a Sox fan, you simply enjoy reading and that brings a little smirk to your face. As far as I'm concerned, it serves that selfish jerk right to have not only missed the playoffs, but to not be a part of our World Championship ballclub. He proved from the moment contract negotiations started with him that it was all about the money and nothing else; winning was secondary. He couldn't have possibly thought he'd be winning in Detroit anytime soon, could he?!

Get real, Maggs! He got what he ultimately wanted- large sums of money, which I'm sure are making him happier than any World Series Championship Parade, Banner-Raising, or Ring Ceremony ever could. I'm glad he wasn't on this team in 2005 because with him there, there's no way the Sox would be Champions.

JohnBasedowYoda
02-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Loved him when he was here, Glad he's gone. He can reflect on all this with his "teammates" when they visit the cell.

IlliniSox4Life
02-22-2006, 12:16 AM
As soon as KW said there would be no Maggs deal, I said that this is the best thing that could happen to the Sox - posted it right here.

Now, I didn't think they would go all the way. But, it was obvious that they needed pitching more than they needed him.

I think the best thing that could happen was winning a World Series.

mccoydp
02-22-2006, 10:31 AM
What moroon. What a gull-a-bull. What a nin-com-poop.
It's nice to know that somebody else quotes Bugs Bunny!

:thumbsup:

LongLiveFisk
02-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Just when I thought I couldn't possibly feel any better about the Sox winning, this comes along.

Oh these are good times! :bandance:

PaleHoseGeorge
02-22-2006, 07:24 PM
A good teammate and good guy would say, I saw them celebrate and was happy for them!
Besides going for the money, Maggs you continue to show what kind of guy you are! Funny, I don't miss you at all, and no longer care about you, since all you have showed is your greed and jealosy.
This is a great point. Clearly Magglio still hasn't bottomed out from his P.R. free fall. I've never seen another ballplayer screw up so much goodwill over such a short period of time. He is in a class all by himself now. Frank Thomas looks like a boy scout compared to this dope.

I can *almost* understand Magglio being frustrated last winter by the Sox refusing to tender him a contract unless given a chance to examine his knee first. His pouting last spring was ridiculous and his "enemy" comment about Ozzie beyond childish. But for this big dope to now come back a full season later and whine even more about having to endure watching his old team succeed is truly beyond the pale.

Anyone who ever thought Magglio Ordonez was a good and decent guy has just been embarrassed beyond redemption by this Class 1 *******. He deserves to be booed and booed mercilessly this spring when the Detroit "they care about winning" Tigers come to town.

Class 1 ******* ----> :maggs

Brian26
02-24-2006, 08:45 PM
What's strange, when you really think about it, is that Magglio mentioned that "his teammates" won the World Series. However, how many players on the 2005 White Sox were really teammates of Mags? Keep in mind, Mags went down with the knee injury around mid June of 2004 and didn't even travel with the team for the 2nd half.

Here's a quick list of the guys that were acquired or joined the team after Mags went down (in no particular order):

Widger
Pierzynski
Iguchi
Blum
Ozuna
Podsednik
Dye
Freddy Garcia
Contreras
El Duque
Jenks
Hermanson
Vizcaino
Anderson
McCarthy

Guys who Mags played less than half a season with (early 2004):
Timo
Uribe
Politte

Guys Mags played a year or more with:
Konerko
Crede
Rowand
Garland
Buehrle
Marte
Frank
Cotts
Willie
Everett

So 18 of the 28 guys on the roster didn't really play with Mags. There was a lot of turnover from the 2003 and 2004 team. I'm not sure I even proved my point, but I don't really associate the 2005 team as former teammates of Mags....those guys would be CLee, Loaiza, Durham, Foulke, Valentin, Sandy Alomar...guys from that era.

henchmanUK
03-01-2006, 07:07 AM
I suggest Maggs isn't booed next time he comes to USCF. He should be pointed at and laughed at.

soxfan13
03-01-2006, 09:46 AM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: