PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds Not Having Any Fun Anymore

kevin57
02-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Barry Bonds has said that he will not play baseball beyond this season. Assuming he means what he says, do you predict he will break Hank Aaron's HR record (He needs 48)?

itsnotrequired
02-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Actually, he has "clarified" his statements from yesterday and may not retire after the 2006 season.

"If I can play [in 2007], I'm going to play; if I can't I won't," Bonds told MLB.com in a telephone interview Sunday. "If my knee holds up, I'll keep on going. I'm playing psychological games with myself right now. I don't want to set myself up for disappointment if things don't work out this season. So I go back and forth. Back and forth every day. These are the things that are going through my mind. This is what I'm struggling with."
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060219&content_id=1315857&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

That being said, I believe he will break the record over the next two seasons, assuming he stays healthy.

TornLabrum
02-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Actually, he has "clarified" his statements from yesterday and may not retire after the 2006 season.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060219&content_id=1315857&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

That being said, I believe he will break the record over the next two seasons, assuming he stays healthy.

I think that all depends on whether he's substituted HGH for the clear and the cream.

SOXintheBURGH
02-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Last year of his contract in San Francisco, if he's within 10 of Aaron he will sign on to DH somewhere to break it.

Stoky44
02-20-2006, 11:39 AM
I don't want him to even break Ruth's record, BUT I think he will. He needs only something like 48 HR's. I believe out of his 12 or so hits last year he had 5 HRs. THe guy can still hit the ball far, and we all know why. Plus, the idiot told mlb.com he might play for another 5 or 10 years if his knee feels up to the task.

itsnotrequired
02-20-2006, 11:46 AM
I think that all depends on whether he's substituted HGH for the clear and the cream.

The guy can still mash the ball, juiced or otherwise.

Sammy Sosa, he is not...

SOXintheBURGH
02-20-2006, 11:48 AM
We all need to give the guy a break, I mean, look what his son is going through. And its all your fault, and the media's fault.

TornLabrum
02-20-2006, 11:49 AM
The guy can still mash the ball, juiced or otherwise.

Sammy Sosa, he is not...

True. Sosa is about six years younger, isn't he?

itsnotrequired
02-20-2006, 11:51 AM
True. Sosa is about six years younger, isn't he?

About 4 years younger.

TornLabrum
02-20-2006, 11:55 AM
About 4 years younger.

Even the best hitters seem to deteriorate when they're about 42 years old or so. It will be interesting to see what happens with Bonds since he turns 42 this summer. Sosa sure fell apart fast, and for no apparent reason.

itsnotrequired
02-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Even the best hitters seem to deteriorate when they're about 42 years old or so. It will be interesting to see what happens with Bonds since he turns 42 this summer. Sosa sure fell apart fast, and for no apparent reason.

Agreed, it will be interesting to see what happens. Sosa was playing above his abilities over the last few seasons (I wonder why?) but Bonds is more or less playing the same as he always has been. His speed is obviously not what it once was but he still hits for average and maintains a great OBP. He seems to draw a lot of walks.

I'm still blown away by those walk totals from 2004. He was intentionally walked 120 times but had 112 walks that were not. Abreu had the next most walks and had damn near only half of what Bonds had. Unreal...

PaleHoseGeorge
02-20-2006, 12:05 PM
"Sosa" is what you get when you take a very ordinary swing-from-the-heels hitter and put him on steroids.

"Bonds" is what you get when you take a future hall of famer and put him on steroids.

These are two very different ballplayers. If everyone was on the juice, the accomplishments of Barry Bonds wouldn't look all that impressive. In fact that's what Barry thinks should happen and that's what is truly scary about this. He could care less that teenagers should safeguard their health and not emulate the destructive behavior his giant ego drives him to.

Bonds will never acknowledge that his accomplishments are fake. Not everyone juices! Not everyone should juice! Nobody should be allowed to juice with impunity! Now it's up to MLB to set things straight... fat chance. The Cubune staff spent most of yesterday's edition rationalizing why Sosa ought to go into the hall...

Bonds says it's none of our business. Bonds wants the rest of us to just butt out. That's what makes Bonds the grade-A jerk he is.

NSSoxFan
02-20-2006, 05:41 PM
The Cubune staff spent most of yesterday's edition rationalizing why Sosa ought to go into the hall...

While their lil' baby CLTV runs the following on their 'ticker':

Chicago: Man who attacked coach at White Sox game jailed

:rolleyes:

Clembasbal
02-20-2006, 07:13 PM
My guess...he retires at the end of the year after breaking Aaron's record. And he breaks it after staying on (or going back on...your opinion) HGH. HE claims he has accomplished everything and that it is no longer fun. And he doesn't get tested and is given immunity because it is his final year and he is a great baseball guy and is on a fairwell tour.

LongLiveFisk
02-20-2006, 07:53 PM
While I don't want him to break Aaron's record, if he must, I hope he does it this year so he can get the hell out of baseball already. Otherwise it's a given he will hang around for as long as it takes.

soxfanatlanta
02-20-2006, 08:02 PM
"Bonds" is what you get when you take a future hall of famer and put him on steroids.

Agreed. Barroid still has the best had-eye coordination in the bigs, and I'm sure he spent the off season switching form the cream to HGH. It's not tested, and the man is driven to do anything to be the best home run hitter- in his mind. As far as I'm concerned, the man should put a big asterisk on his jersey, for the inhuman transformation he went in the 90's.

Luckily, it's not for me to decide.

SouthSide_HitMen
02-20-2006, 08:07 PM
My guess...he retires at the end of the year after breaking Aaron's record. And he breaks it after staying on (or going back on...your opinion) HGH. HE claims he has accomplished everything and that it is no longer fun. And he doesn't get tested and is given immunity because it is his final year and he is a great baseball guy and is on a fairwell tour.

I would give anyone 2-1 odds he will never break Aaron's record. He has said repeatedly he will leave baseball before breaking Aaron's record who he respects too much to surpass. He only wants to beat Ruth and then leave baseball.

gobears1987
02-20-2006, 08:58 PM
I hope Bonds has a career ending injury before he breaks Ruth's mark. That SOB doesn't deserve to be in the books. He is a juicer and a racist.

Brian26
02-20-2006, 09:21 PM

They key thing to watch is bat speed. It seems like once a guy's bat speed is lost, he can never get it bat, and a lot of times it can happen overnight. Look at Baines. He had productive years in '98, '99, and partially through 2000. And then, poof, it was gone. It was painful to watch Harold at the end of 2000 and really painful watching him in 2001. He just didn't have a chance in 2001, and I hated the way Manual kept sending him out there. The same thing has happened to Sosa. It will be interesting to see what happens with Bonds. If he's maintained the bat speed over the long layoff of 2005, he'll be ok.

Brian26
02-20-2006, 09:24 PM
I hope Bonds has a career ending injury before he breaks Ruth's mark. That SOB doesn't deserve to be in the books. He is a juicer and a racist.

A little harsh. I'd derive more pleasure from seeing him try to break the record and fail then not getting the chance because of an injury.

gobears1987
02-20-2006, 10:05 PM
A little harsh. I'd derive more pleasure from seeing him try to break the record and fail then not getting the chance because of an injury.That would be preferable. I don't care. I just don't want that dumb son of a bitch to reach either mark. He doesn't deserve it. The fact that MLB hasn't taken HRs away from him after the Balco scandal just pisses me off. He shouldn't even be in the game. I want Bonds to get hurt if that is the only thing that will stop him. Not to mention the fact he is a racist bastard.

SOXPHILE
02-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Go away Barry, you sociopath. And please, DO let the door hit you on the arse, and a couple of times on that GIGANTIC head of yours, on the way out.

Deebs14
02-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Go away Barry, you sociopath. And please, DO let the door hit you on the arse, and a couple of times on that GIGANTIC head of yours, on the way out.

I don't know what's bigger...this *******'s head or his freakin ego!

Clembasbal
02-21-2006, 09:25 AM
I don't know what's bigger...this *******'s head or his freakin ego!

The best part about it is that his head has actually grown after the age of 32, and by a large margin...I mean whose head grows that late in life...hgh?

soxinem1
02-21-2006, 11:11 PM
I don't want him to even break Ruth's record, BUT I think he will. He needs only something like 48 HR's. I believe out of his 12 or so hits last year he had 5 HRs. THe guy can still hit the ball far, and we all know why. Plus, the idiot told mlb.com he might play for another 5 or 10 years if his knee feels up to the task.

Well, let's hear it for another nice long trip to the DL then.... or a positive test!!

If (when) he gets close to the Babe, we should show Barry this sign:

Babe 8398 AB 714 HR

Bonds 9140 AB 708 HR

WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG, BARRY?

SOXintheBURGH
02-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Well, let's hear it for another nice long trip to the DL then.... or a positive test!!

If (when) he gets close to the Babe, we should show Barry this sign:

Babe 8398 AB 714 HR

Bonds 9140 AB 708 HR

WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG, BARRY?

The only enhancements the Babe needed were Scotch and loose women!

VenturaSoxFan23
02-22-2006, 11:26 AM
The only enhancements the Babe needed were Scotch and loose women!

...plus 15 hot dogs and 3 Cuban cigars.

PennStater98r
02-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Barry's not having fun any more?!?!?

That makes me sad. Boo-hoo.

ode to veeck
02-22-2006, 07:46 PM
:whocares: