PDA

View Full Version : Marte and Rowand on life after the Sox

WhiteSoxFan84
02-20-2006, 02:33 AM
Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060219rowboldnamesbaseball,1,5926238.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines)

Mod Edit: You quoted 2/3 of the article. Read the fair use guidelines at the start top of this forum on your three-day vacation.

KRS1
02-20-2006, 04:05 AM
If Phillie could get Wolf and Floyd to actually be the pitchers they are supposed to be their rotation would be half-way decent(notice I said half way). Their line-up is already solid, and everything they do this season will live and die on the shoulders of those two. Madson isnt terrible, and if Brito continues to imrove(although he's probably best as a reliver, with the velocity he gains out of the pen), they could be solid bottom of the rotation contributors. The biggest if for them obviously though will be Hamels continued development, along with that of Gio and Haigwood. Again a lot of "IF'S", but the young guys I just talked about have a good chance of making it to the bigs sooner rather than later and would make a formitable 2-3-4(3-4-5, if Wolf anf Floyd arrive in town) in a couple years, if not next. Their rotation has future promise without a doubt, but until the coaching gets these guys to play to their potential, it's gonna be a hard on guys like Rowand who want to win now.

Mohoney
02-20-2006, 04:36 AM
I honestly see the Phillies winning the NL Wild Card this season, edging out the Cubs.

As for the Pirates, I think they will be better record-wise than 2005, but I'm still assuming a 5th place finish for them. They haven't done nearly enough to contend.

TheOldRoman
02-20-2006, 10:53 AM
I honestly see the Phillies winning the NL Wild Card this season, edging out the Cubs.

As for the Pirates, I think they will be better record-wise than 2005, but I'm still assuming a 5th place finish for them. They haven't done nearly enough to contend.
Are you kidding? I see the Reds edging out the Cubs for fourth place. I think the Wild Card will come down to the Astros, Brewers and Mets/Braves. Maybe the Phillies can change something with their new GM (and manager?), but the last few years they were just like the 2003 Sox - loads and loads of talent, but they just imploded.
As for the Pirates, I am optomistic about them. They have a good amount of young talent, but they need the right leadership. I think McClendon was a good manager, and he got the shaft because cheap ownership didn't want to bring in free agents. I think the Pirates will be in the playoffs within the next 5 years.

DumpJerry
02-20-2006, 11:27 AM
They left out the following quote from Marte:

"One nice thing about being in Pittsburgh is the fact that I don't have 7,000 members of Whitesoxinteractive.com looking over my shoulder reminding me of how I did at Fenway in the ALDS."

SOXintheBURGH
02-20-2006, 11:35 AM
They left out the following quote from Marte:

"One nice thing about being in Pittsburgh is the fact that I don't have 7,000 members of Whitesoxinteractive.com looking over my shoulder reminding me of how I did at Fenway in the ALDS."

I'll be reminding him at every Bucs game I attend this season.

TDog
02-20-2006, 11:36 AM
I honestly see the Phillies winning the NL Wild Card this season, edging out the Cubs....

Edging out? Don't you have to finish in second place to win the wild card? When is the last time the Cubs finished in second?

Even in Alaska, I hear wild card hype about the Cubs every spring, except in the years when people expect the Cubs to win 110 games.

Baby Fisk
02-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Best of luck to Rowand. He could become a legend in Philly.

itsnotrequired
02-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Edging out? Don't you have to finish in second place to win the wild card? When is the last time the Cubs finished in second?

Even in Alaska, I hear wild card hype about the Cubs every spring, except in the years when people expect the Cubs to win 110 games.

The Cubs have finished 1st or 2nd in the Division only 4 times in the last 32 years. As a contrast, the Sox have finished 1st or 2nd in the Division 14 times in that same timeframe.

MsSoxVixen22
02-20-2006, 11:50 AM

I feel the same way. I'll always love Rowand and I'll greatly miss him. I will give him a standing ovation when Crash comes back to the Cell.

SOXintheBURGH
02-20-2006, 11:52 AM
I feel the same way. I'll always Rowand and I'll greatly miss him. I will give him a standing ovation when Crash comes back to the Cell.

I have a lot of old roomates and friends currently living in Phillthy I plan on visiting, and already have made plans to attend some home games to cheer on Rowand.

Baby Fisk
02-20-2006, 11:53 AM
I feel the same way. I'll always Rowand and I'll greatly miss him. I will give him a standing ovation when Crash comes back to the Cell.Philly plays in Toronto this year and I will loudly express my appreciation to Crash. :cool:

thepaulbowski
02-21-2006, 01:50 PM

Until the fans turn on him during his first slump. Philly fans lack an ounce of patience for anybody.

Baby Fisk
02-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Until the fans turn on him during his first slump. Philly fans lack an ounce of patience for anybody.
Why are Philly fans like that? Is that really Dark Cloud City, USA?

SOXintheBURGH
02-21-2006, 02:09 PM

They haven't won a championship in any sport since the 1981 76ers. The Eagles choke every year in the last 5 then got in a horrible mess with Terrible Owens, the Flyers choke in the playoffs every season, and the Phils always find a way to lose (Joe Carter). Their NBA team is a one man show. Not to mention the HUGE inferiority complex they have on a city level being so near New York, the world's capitol, and DC, the nation's capitol.

Dark Cloud City, USA indeed.

Baby Fisk
02-21-2006, 03:11 PM
They haven't won a championship in any sport since the 1981 76ers. The Eagles choke every year in the last 5 then got in a horrible mess with Terrible Owens, the Flyers choke in the playoffs every season, and the Phils always find a way to lose (Joe Carter). Their NBA team is a one man show. Not to mention the HUGE inferiority complex they have on a city level being so near New York, the world's capitol, and DC, the nation's capitol.

What's the problem with Philly teams? Lousy ownership?

wolcott10
02-21-2006, 03:45 PM

I thought it was the 1983 76ers that last won a championship in Philadelphia.

Tekijawa
02-21-2006, 03:47 PM
NL Wild Card will come out of NL East...

Cubs shouldn't even be brought into the Arguement... They are not good!

Tannerfan
02-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Philly fans cheered when Michael Irvin was hurt so bad he had to be taken off the field on a stretcher. They are also famous for once booing Santa Claus. I have three friends from there, and all say Philadelphia fans are much worse than their reputation.

kevin57
02-21-2006, 09:10 PM
I can vouch for how tough Philadelphia fans are. Spent 4 years at Villanova University, and they are brutal on all their athletes and teams. I can't say why, except if you had to live in a city as dumpy as that place, you'd be in a foul mood most of the time, too.

soxinem1
02-21-2006, 11:19 PM

I sure hope so, those fans can be rough on players too. But especially against the cubs, I hope he nails them like he did a couple years ago and how CLee does with teh Brewers.