PDA

View Full Version : Rate yourself as a Sox fan (before last season)

SOecks
02-20-2006, 12:49 AM
I'm wondering if we can honestly and objectively rate how big of a Sox fan we think we were before last season and also how we are now on a scale of 1-10. Please be honest and tell us why. Hell, I don't care if you were a Cubs fan in 2003 and now live and die with the White Sox. Just tell us how you got to where you are. Here's mine.

Beginning of 2005 season: 8 out of 10. I watched and/or listened to every innning of every game. I also read and listened to anything possible about the Sox on radio and print. I don't have all of Sox history memorized and can't afford season tickets so only gave myself an 8.

Beginning of 2006 season: 9 out of 10. Same dedication starting this year and I've spent much more time finding info on our farm system and the more intricate details of this team. I also spend every day on this site to find and discuss Sox/MLB information.

So, how would you rate yourself?

lumpyspun
02-20-2006, 12:56 AM
Late 80's: 8 of 10. As a kid in the suburbs of Chicago I grew up idolizing all the players.

Early 90's: 4 of 10. Just moved out of Chicago, quit playing baseball, and pretty much lost all interest in baseball all together after the strike.

Late 90's: 6 of 10: Lived in NY and hated the yankee/red sox scene...began getting back into baseball and of course the Sox.

2004-2005: 8 of 10: Living "out on my own" and have a job. Allows me to order the MLB package and mlb.tv and catch just about every pitch the last two years.

I guess I've come full circle!

fusillirob1983
02-20-2006, 12:59 AM
I go to as many games as I can afford, read just about anything I can that's about the Sox, spend time on this message board when I have other stuff to do, started my own club dedicated to the Sox on campus at the end of the 2004 season.

Going into 2005: 10/10
Now: 10/10

IlliniSox4Life
02-20-2006, 01:11 AM
Now, I would say about a 9. Before this year I would say probably 7-8/10. Around 2002 I would say probably around a 5 or 6. Growing up and being able to go to games on my own has really helped. My parents are Sox fans, but when you have 3 siblings, your dad can't really afford to be taking the family to games a lot, that's 6 tickets a trip. Plus, not having cable t.v. for most of my younger years also didn't help. Once I was able to drive and go on my own with friends, get a part time job and have a little money to pay for myself, my interest peaked as going to the park became one of my friends and my favorite things to do.

Evidence that I am currently a 9: Spring training has barely started, it's past midnight, I have school tomorrow and homework that's not finished. Yet I am posting on a White Sox message board.

mike squires
02-20-2006, 01:13 AM
I don't think it's a secret, cuae I've mentioned it a few times; but something happened to me during the post season. Although I was happy and thrilled after the Boston series it wasn't as "exciting" as I thought it would be. Back in the late 90's, i drove to the library every day to check out the Chicago papers reports of spring training and such. I honestly belive that becoming a dad has helped me keep things in perspective. I can't explain it. I'm still a huge fan and I list the sox as my #1 hobby. I guess I just don't invest as much time into it than the last few years.

Ron Karkovice
02-20-2006, 01:15 AM
I go to as many games as I can afford, read just about anything I can that's about the Sox, spend time on this message board when I have other stuff to do, started my own club dedicated to the Sox on campus at the end of the 2004 season.

Going into 2005: 10/10
Now: 10/10

Are you talking about White Sox Nation?? If so, I cant wait to go to the game in April. And you're in my geography class I think.

90s on: 9/10. Insane amount of White sox stuff in bedroom/ rest of the house. I have over 600 Frank Thomas baseball cards (they used to be worth a lot). Last but not least, I love talking about the "good ol" players including Chris Snopek, Brian Simmons, and Mike Deveraux :)

RadioheadRocks
02-20-2006, 01:24 AM
Grew up in Bridgeport, been going to White Sox games since age 5. Always a Huge Sox fan and faithful baseball fan until the 1994 strike, soured on baseball for a few years after that but gradually came back, although it never really diminished my feelings for the White Sox (time heals old wounds, I guess). I'd say by 2000 I was back in full force. That's about it, Readers' Digest version.

fusillirob1983
02-20-2006, 01:41 AM
Are you talking about White Sox Nation?? If so, I cant wait to go to the game in April. And you're in my geography class I think.

That's my twin brother, actually. I hear the professor likes to talk about Malawi.

Are you one of the guys I drove to the U.S. Cellular store for the trophy thing? If not, I drove a couple other guys from Taft or Van Doren to the trophy thing.

SouthSideHitman
02-20-2006, 01:47 AM
Grew up in Bridgeport, been going to White Sox games since age 5. Always a Huge Sox fan and faithful baseball fan until the 1994 strike, soured on baseball for a few years after that but gradually came back, although it never really diminished my feelings for the White Sox (time heals old wounds, I guess). I'd say by 2000 I was back in full force. That's about it, Readers' Digest version.

Wow, that's almost mine to a T. My family lived in Hyde Park and split season tickets until 1994, then we all kinda backed off for a while. White Flag really hurt and I came back slowly until by mid 2000 I was in full form. Ever since then I've been pretty hardcore, I usually am able to get about 120 games a year and I always keep up with them, even if I have to miss the games. I remember sitting in a steamy car in Louisville in '03 to catch the end of an extra-inning win in KC that completed a then-crucial sweep.

It's funny, because I'm probably about as committed as I can be without losing any semblance of a life and bank account for seven months, the 2005 sesason was really incredible. I was fully up to date, so I didn't reallyk become a bigger fan, just a much more fulfilled one (although I admit that I did pretty much spend all my money in those weeks of the ALCS and World Series on Sox stuff).

Chisox003
02-20-2006, 01:54 AM
Grew up (still live) in Mt. Greenwood, been living, breathing, eating, drinking, (watching) White Sox and baseball since day 1

10/10

11/10 after the whole World Champion thing :cool:

(No seriously, I might have a problem)

Ron Karkovice
02-20-2006, 01:59 AM
That's my twin brother, actually. I hear the professor likes to talk about Malawi.

Are you one of the guys I drove to the U.S. Cellular store for the trophy thing? If not, I drove a couple other guys from Taft or Van Doren to the trophy thing.

That's right, I forgot you have a twin.

No, I didnt make the trophy thing because I was home for the weekend. It would have made a better picture of the other one I have framed right now: A picture of me next to Durham at a Sox fest:o: .

SouthSide_HitMen
02-20-2006, 02:02 AM
8 of 10: 1975 - 1976 (5 and 6 years old - just getting started)

10 of 10: 1977 - 1980 (SouthSide Hit Men kick ass)

8 of 10: 1981 - 1982 (Sunshine Boys take games off of TV offset by Fisk signing)

10 of 10: 1983 - 1985 (Best season until this one).

7 of 10: 1986 - 1990 (Reinsdorf extortion scheme works, turned off by the whole process and closing of Comiskey Park. Made my way out many times to catch some final games at "The Baseball Palace of the World")

3 of 10: 1990 - 1998 (Went to new park twice (never giving Reinsdorf a nickle) during this period. 1994 made things worse.

7 of 10: 1999 - 2003 (Started going to games and anger at Reinsdorf subsided somewhat).

8 of 10: 2003 - 2004 (Went to the park frequently, interest during the entire two season was held nearly at the level of when I was a kid).

10 of 10: 2005 - current (Probably went to too many games, followed the team too closely - Greatest season ever. Plan on following the team very close again).

dagame2005
02-20-2006, 02:27 AM
I figure I rate pretty high. The only reason I don't have season tickets is because I play semi-pro myself. Although I must admit, even I had doubts late in the season! Thank god it worked out!

BV2005
02-20-2006, 02:28 AM
I have always been a big Sox fan and I have honestly always liked them as much as I do now. so I would go with a 9 out of 10

SoxFan76
02-20-2006, 02:44 AM
1985-1990'ish, too young to really know much about baseball. My dad took me to 1 game at Old Comiskey when I was 2 or 3 and I cried the whole time. So that was 88-89.

Rating: I'll give myself a 5 just because while I was young, I always knew who my team was.

early to mid 90's, started collecting baseball cards. I'd keep the Sox cards seperate and see how many Sox players I could get. Whenever I got a Frank Thomas card I about freaked out and thought I was a millionaire.

Rating: 6, I was older and knew what was going on, and while I was still a big fan I didn't watch or go to many games. Money was still sort of an issue for our family at this point though. We lived comfortably, but baseball games weren't in the budget.

mid 90's-end of the 2000 season. A little older, a little wiser. I really started to appreciate how freaking good Frank Thomas was and the Cubs were starting to really get on my nerves. I still didn't watch a ton of games though.

Rating: 7

End of the 2000 season-present, 10/10. It's just out of control now. And yes, you bet your behind that I jumped that Sox bandwagon! haha...I was always a fan but during the 2000 season I was watching the news and I realized the Sox had the best record in baseball at the time. Yeah, some fan I am. They proceed to get swept in 3 games by the Mariners, but by then I was hooked. THe next 2-3 seasons kinda sucked, but 04 had it's moments and of course then there's 05. I'm on WSI all day, every day. I continuously watch playoff clips and regular season clips. I watch the 2 DVDs all the time.

Sorry for the sloppy post. I'm pretty tired and feeling kind of lazy.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-20-2006, 03:12 AM
Probably a 6/10. I'm 17 and have been a lifelong fan, but I really got into the Sox on a day to day basis back in 2000. My dad was always a huge fan so he'd take me a ton of games as a child and I became hooked. Unfortunately, my dad passed away in 2004 and it just hasn't been the same. I've had to move farther away and haven't been able to attend as many games as I used to. My dad and I could talk about the Sox for hours and watching the Sox vs Twins was actually the last thing we did together. The World Series run was great, but it's hard for me to truly appreciate it. I'm still here on the forums on a daily basis, and you can usually see me in the chat during the games. I just wouldn't call myself as huge as a fan as when my dad was back alive. I was able to attend a pathetic one game last year, and will most likely get to even less this year.

Xx i am error xX
02-20-2006, 03:44 AM
This is the 2nd season I've really been able to follow a baseball team fully... I've always loved the Sox and Frank Thomas, but really following a team is tough when you can't watch every game or close to it.

I grew up in the Baltimore area and all I could watch there were some O's games (and of course the stupid Braves.) I was always a fan of the sport and would go check out a few O's games every summer, but I wasn't really familiar with all the players or anything like that. Right before I moved away to school we had WGN added to our cable which reminded me how much I loved the Sox. My roommate that I moved in with is a very big sports fan and got me in to fantasy sports, and we also got the Extra Innings package so we could follow all of our players. I watched a lot of Pirates games that season because Craig Wilson was (and still is) one of my favorite players, but I watched a few Sox games as well, but did not like a lot of the players they had that season (Jose Valentin, etc.) and I was still getting acquainted with all the rules and stuff. So I would say I was about a 7 or 8 out of 10.

That offseason was really the first time I ever followed offseason transactions, etc. and I loved all the moves the Sox made. Picking up Iguchi, getting Podsednik, it was all really exciting for me to follow. I watched every Sox game I possibly could, and around some time during the middle of the season I just felt it all click. It was around June when I caught "Sox fever." There are just so many cool things this team had to offer... Ozzie Guillen. Frank Thomas. Hawk Harrelson. During the 6 week span or so when Frank was back is was like a dream come true every time Podsednik, Iguchi and Thomas were slated to bat next. And now I live and breathe the Sox. I can't get enough of this team. I'd say I'm a 10/10 at this point.

Wow, it's really late and it seems like I may have gone off on a rambling fest. Hope my post makes sense!

kevin57
02-20-2006, 07:24 AM
10/10 from childhood to the present day.

My first memories of the Sox are going with my dad, brother, cousin, and uncle to a Sox-Yankee twilight double-header when I was around the 3rd or 4th grade. I fell asleep during the second game, and IIRC the Sox lost both games :angry: , but I recall feeling a bond being established between my heart and the team even at that moment. I can always remember having the radio to my ear as I went to bed at night listening to Bob Elston broadcast the games from CA. My first Sox 'heartbreak' was the '67 team that blew it in the last week of the season. :whiner:

I say all that because as I reached adulthood the amount of time I could give to going to games, devouring stats, etc. diminished. I too went through a period of disenchantment with baseball in general after the '94 strike, but my love of the White Sox never diminished (I also never went through an anti-Reinsdorf phase.).

This season I definitely did more active engagement with the team (joining WSI was one indicator of that), but from start to now my loyalty has been 100% White Sox.

Cat Thief
02-20-2006, 08:53 AM
I am very embarrassed to admit it, but I was more of a Cub fan until I was about 10. The old cliche about watching games on WGN after school comes into play here. So I guess my allegiance began about 1978. But thank God they passed out free tickets at school for getting perfect attendance and being on the honor roll. That is how I started going to Sox games. So,

1978-1982 I would rate myself at about a 6. I would watch as many games as possible, hang out in the bleachers with Harry and get the drunks to buy us beer. I remember being on this This Week In Baseball. They showed me in the shower at the park. Big thing for a kid my age.
Sneaking into the upper deck when it was closed was big fun back then.

1983-1993 I would rate myself a 4. After the 83 debacle my interest went way down. I remember sitting behind home plate crying after they lost to Baltimore. But, getting tickets to the playoffs back then was a blast. Then I started high school and some college. These were my party years and nothing really mattered besides getting drunk an fried. What was the final on opening day 1991. 16-0?

1993-1996 I would rate myself a 7. 1993 was alot of fun .Strike in 94 was disappointing but it never kept me away. I missed baseball terribly.

1996-2005 I would rate myself a 9.I met my wife who just happened to live on 31st and Princeton. A hop, skip and a jump away from the park. We went to the games all the time and still do. I plunged into season tickets last year with my boss even though they didn't provide us with Series tickets. I also purchased a 27 game game plan. My way of saying thanks to the Sox and also guaranteeing they I won't miss out on any of the fun. I will never forget the playoffs and World Series as long as I live. Bridgeport was alive last year. My wife's parents live just East of Halsted and everytime during the offseason when we go down there I can picture the streets filled with people like they were that night. My wife and I were very lucky to attend the series, It's a long story. Lets just say that Brooks is the man. I do not rate myself a 10 because I do not attend Sox Fest and I have never been to spring training.

That is my story and I am sorry for being a Cub fan for 10 years of my life.

DrCrawdad
02-20-2006, 09:01 AM
1970's: 9, I clipped Sox related articles out of the Daily News, stayed home to watch opening day when it was a road game. Ditched church services so I could stay home and watch the Sox games the night of Disco Demolition.

1980's: 7, I was still quite rapid up until '85 when my attention began wane a bit.

1990-1996: 3, Because of a number of factors my Soxfandom hit a low. I didn't attend a game in the new park until 1994.

1997-Present: 9, even though my attention had in previous years waned, I still listened to Sox games on the radio when I could and read about the team in the newspapers. Around '97 I began to follow the Sox more closely. This became easier when I finally got cable tv and no longer worked 2nd and 3rd shifts. By '00 I was an over the top Sox addict. I joined WSI in '01.

I now need a 12 step program...

Hangar18
02-20-2006, 09:20 AM
On a scale of 1-10, I would have to rate myself a 26.

34 Inch Stick
02-20-2006, 09:37 AM
10/10- I went to a Thursday afternoon get away game during the Jerry Manuel era.

TornLabrum
02-20-2006, 09:37 AM
On a scale of 1-10, I would have to rate myself a 26.

They said "Sox fan," not "flubsessive-compulsive"! :redneck

Hangar18
02-20-2006, 09:42 AM
I can honestly say Ive been paying attention to this organization a great deal. However, there were a couple of seasons that I just blocked them out entirely. 1987/1988, 1995. What little I remember of 1995, is we let alot of good ($$$) players go, replaced them with very bad players, got off to a bad start (not surprisingly), and got swept by the Indians very early on. Thome crushed a ball to dead center that flew over the fence and hit a picnic table, sending shards of wood everywhere. The place went bananas and I decided at that moment, there was nothing else worth watching of that team that season ......... and I went on with the rest of my summer. :angry:

Hangar18
02-20-2006, 09:45 AM
I am very embarrassed to admit it, but I was more of a Cub fan until I was about 10.

That is my story and I am sorry for being a Cub fan for 10 years of my life.

It takes a man to admit hes made a mistake. Good for you on repeating your mistakes :D:

HChappasJr
02-20-2006, 09:48 AM
I don't think you should be rated on how big of a Sox fan you are by how much Sox "stuff" you have or even how many games you go to. Anybody can buy "stuff" or go to games. It's the feeling you get inside when they win or lose. For me, when they win a game, it makes my day. I'm happy and smiling and in a great mood all day long after a win. After a loss, it ruins my day. I'm cranky, I'm short-tempered, I avoid any sports highlight show because I don't even want to be reminded that they lost. I've been this way for my whole life. I was mad in '79 when they had to forfeit game 2 of the double-header vs. Detroit because of Disco Demolition. Every game, every inning, every pitch affects me. I am, was, and always will be 10 out of 10.

kevin57
02-20-2006, 10:09 AM
I don't think you should be rated on how big of a Sox fan you are by how much Sox "stuff" you have or even how many games you go to. Anybody can buy "stuff" or go to games. It's the feeling you get inside when they win or lose. For me, when they win a game, it makes my day. I'm happy and smiling and in a great mood all day long after a win. After a loss, it ruins my day. I'm cranky, I'm short-tempered, I avoid any sports highlight show because I don't even want to be reminded that they lost. I've been this way for my whole life. I was mad in '79 when they had to forfeit game 2 of the double-header vs. Detroit because of Disco Demolition. Every game, every inning, every pitch affects me. I am, was, and always will be 10 out of 10.

I would agree that that ranks you among a "fan's fan," but I hope you have a patient/understanding spouse/partner.

LongLiveFisk
02-20-2006, 10:12 AM
In terms of loyalty and fandom I'd always rank myself a 10. I always watched (or at least listened to, when watching wasn't possible) every game I could, and I was wearing Sox stuff back when it wasn't "cool" (1989, for example). Always a diehard and never cared what anyone else thought.

Chicago
02-20-2006, 10:18 AM
In terms of loyalty and fandom I'd always rank myself a 10. I always watched (or at least listened to, when watching wasn't possible) every game I could, and I was wearing Sox stuff back when it wasn't "cool" (1989, for example). Always a diehard and never cared what anyone else thought.

x2 :cheers:

HChappasJr
02-20-2006, 12:51 PM
I would agree that that ranks you among a "fan's fan," but I hope you have a patient/understanding spouse/partner.

Nope. Not married. Maybe that's why I can afford to get into it so much. Hmmm...

I want Mags back
02-20-2006, 01:03 PM
1989-1992 Im 3 years old and younger, dont what the hellsis going. My baby picture show that my crazy mom dressed me in Flubs ****. I have since either wrote all over those or thrown them in fire place

1993 I realize what is happening, we win the division, i fall in love with Frank Thomas, for a 3-4 yr old, 10-10 thats how i became a sox fan

now im sixteen, i go to id 6-10 games a year, it would be more if i was the parent with money, it will be many more when i get older.

Sad
02-20-2006, 01:17 PM
I grew up listening to as many games on radio and whatever I could watch on TV
(yes, including the Cubs... :duck:)

I moved to SW MI in '86 and have attended 10-30 games every season since... before that when I was in HS and tech school (and lived closer) I hit about 5 or 6 games a year (due to cash constraints) except for the year following the strike :mad: when I was really down on baseball in general...

otherwise as far as fandom & following the team, I'd say a 9.5 :dunno:

BeefyD
02-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Die hard since 1977 (6 years old). Father took me to MANY games.... he's a die-hard as well, so it made me a fan at birth, I guess....
Partial season ticket holder for the last 6 years (share a season with friends), Ozzie plan holder currently, been going to a minimum of 10 games a year since HS (late 80's). Must wait until children are older to purchase a bigger plan.

tick53
02-20-2006, 01:56 PM
To rate myself as a Sox fan before 2005.
*Loyal :smile:
*Long Suffering :(:
*Optimistic :sunshine:
*Game Addicted :mg:
*Player Scrutnizer :help:
*Management Basher :tsk:
*Worrier (that the team might move ) :praying:
*Cub Hater :angry:

CHICAGO WHITE SOX FAN!!!!!!!!:bandance:

adidas773
02-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Early 90's i would have to rate myself a 5/10 because my oldest brother was a huge fan of Fisk and eventually got me into the Sox.
Mid 90's i would have to say 3/10 no reason just didn't care.
Around 2001-2004 have to say 7/10.
2005-present 9/10 much more knowledgeable of the game and was really excited about the changes they made.

manders_01
02-20-2006, 05:25 PM
I would say I've always been a diehard fan - rate myself 9/10 throughout my life.

Where my rating would vary is how much I actually watch or listen to the games, keep up with players, etc. I've been 3/10 up until about 2 years ago, then I hopped to a 8/10.

RealFan
02-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Since 1983, when I attended my first game (twi-night doubleheader against the Twins, I caught the end of game one with Hoyt on the mound and Rudy Law made a nice running catch at the wall late in the game), I have been a 10/10 diehard White Sox fan.

soxfan43
02-20-2006, 07:20 PM
before 9/10, now 9.5/10. I've always been a giant sox fan, but prior to 2005, I had spent most of my summers either at college or up in Wisconsin working, so i was only able to catch a handful of games. Last summer was first full summer in chicago in probably 7 years, so I made it to about 25 games not including playoffs and caught the rest on tv or radio. I don't give myself a full 10 because I don't know much history about the sox prior to about 1990 (when I was old enough to really follow the game).

THEBIGHURT35
02-20-2006, 08:54 PM
I have been a sox fan all my life of 22 years. I go to as amny games as I can, I try to listen or watch as many as possible. I would have season tickets if I could afford them

I will probably give myself an 9/10.

MikeW
02-20-2006, 09:05 PM
I don't mean to sound boastful but I would have to rate myself a 10. The only thing that most of you have on me is that I never lived in Chicago. Stuck with them through thick and thin since 1961(mostly thin)in Yankee country. It was quite joyous in October when people who have known me through the years called and congratulated me saying how loyal I was to have stayed with the Sox all these years. My allegiance has never wavered and even believing that the Sox were going to win every year, even in 1970 and 1976! I figured 2nd place in 1989. (whoops). I envy all of you who live near Sox Park who can just hop on the CTA or drive and go to the games whenever you want.

chisoxfanatic
02-20-2006, 09:18 PM
In order to be a Sox fan, you must adhere to the White Sox Army virtues:

:churrosarmy:

I'd say 10/10! :D:

zach074
02-20-2006, 09:23 PM
I would say 2003-2004 6 out of 10
but then i found WSI 2004-2005 9 out of 10.Thanks wsi. :smile:

eastchicagosoxfan
02-20-2006, 09:49 PM
I don't think it's a secret, cuae I've mentioned it a few times; but something happened to me during the post season. Although I was happy and thrilled after the Boston series it wasn't as "exciting" as I thought it would be. Back in the late 90's, i drove to the library every day to check out the Chicago papers reports of spring training and such. I honestly belive that becoming a dad has helped me keep things in perspective. I can't explain it. I'm still a huge fan and I list the sox as my #1 hobby. I guess I just don't invest as much time into it than the last few years.

I agree, with Mike Squires. Last year was amazing. Unbelievable highs, winning series after series, heriocs, it was all there. I consider myself a bigger Sox fan, than Bear fan, because the Sox are a more exclusive club, yet I still remember how I felt in 1986, after the Super Bowl, yet I don't recall the day after game four. I was overjoyed, but it was more personal. If I had to rate myself, now it's a six of ten, maybe seven. Twenty years ago, at 18, it was ten of ten.

MUsoxfan
02-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Before 2001: 3

After: 8 (only reason I'm not a 10 is because I don't have season tix)

johnnyg83
02-20-2006, 09:52 PM
Most handsome.

thomas35forever
02-20-2006, 09:52 PM
I started following the team about midway through the '96 season when I was 7. Since I was obsessed with the Bulls winning during that time, I was probably a 6 between 1996-99. I was a 7 between 2000-02. At the start of the 2003-05 seasons, I was an 8. This season, I'm definitely a 10 for obvious reasons. GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bandance:

Save McCuddy's
02-20-2006, 11:02 PM
I can honestly say Ive been paying attention to this organization a great deal. However, there were a couple of seasons that I just blocked them out entirely. 1987/1988, 1995. What little I remember of 1995, is we let alot of good ($$$) players go, replaced them with very bad players, got off to a bad start (not surprisingly), and got swept by the Indians very early on. Thome crushed a ball to dead center that flew over the fence and hit a picnic table, sending shards of wood everywhere. The place went bananas and I decided at that moment, there was nothing else worth watching of that team that season ......... and I went on with the rest of my summer. :angry:

'95 was tough. I remember taking friends from out of town to a Sox/Cleveland Saturday night fireworks affair around midseason. This was the period when the Jake was such a tough ticket that Tribe fans travelled here to scarf up cheap seats to catch their team. I recall Jimbo telling me that he was running ads in Cleveland newspapers to draw their crowd to his tavern during when they were in town. At any rate, they must have been 15 to 20 thousand strong at the game I'm referring to. We surrendered a 1 run lead in the top of the 8th when they pushed 2 across. Our bonehead production department played YMCA in the 1/2 inning while we had to watch thousands of Indian fans dance in our ball park. Humiliating experience.

I must disagree with you on '88. This was a historically bad ball club but a brilliant opportunity for 18 year olds to get into ballgames cheaply and drink beer like union laborers on lunch. My knucklehead buddies and I routinely got in for 5 bucks or less and sat on the third base line with our beers on the sox dugout heckling Jose Segura, John Pawlowski and a host of other semi pros. We joked that Fregosi never sat far from Fisk for fear he'd forget that he was in a major league dugout. One night we got to the park late, must have been the bottom of the second and we caught Johnny Morris out front trying to hail a cab. There's not a soul anywhere on the street and we started bustin' Johnny's chops about how they were so lousy that a local newscaster couldn't even stick around for one run through the line-up. Seasons like that one gave me the blood the guts and the laughs that I've needed to be a sox fan since my first game in '75.

voodoochile
02-20-2006, 11:44 PM
Marry me...:wink:

I cannot say it better than LLF did. In terms of loyalty and faith, I am a 10.

no, I didn't go to every game possible. no, I haven't lived and died with the team when it sucked.

yes, I held '97 against JR and yes, I only held season ticketes in 2001. Heck, I even considered myself mostly a flubbie fan until 1979 when I quit them cold turkey and started rooting exclusively for the Sox...

Yes, I went on strike in 1995, greedy bastards.. whose money are you arguing about?!?!??!

I joined the Internet chat community in 2000 and followed west here from the old troll forums. Now I am a big shot at WSI and I love it, but it makes me no more or less of a fan than anyone with a few posts on these forums.

I guess I'm about an 8. I am not so diehard that I have to watch every game or go crazy, but I definitely have a blast chatting with Sox fans and carrying on every chance I get.

GO SOX! Repeat or die trying. I'm with you win or lose...

soxstarter
02-21-2006, 12:01 AM
I started following the team in 2002. Patriotic feeling was high in the post 9/11 atmosphere and I felt so honored to get a spot singing the National Anthem at the April 18th game against Cleveland. It was my first White Sox game and was also a special, cause I got to treat a very good friend (lifelong Sox fan) to prime seats for his 40th birthday.

Ever since then I have followed them on t.v. and caught a few games while visiting till I moved up here in July this past summer. Now I feel so lucky that I was able to go to several games this season and see our team win at the U.C. We haven't been here long, but my girls and I claim the team as ours. If we are not at the game we are watching them on the tube. So....yeah, I would say a 10!

gosox3072
02-21-2006, 02:20 AM
10/10 Before WS
10/10 Now
(maybe 9/10 b/c the girl im seeing is a Cub fan:(: )

Only team in baseball i care about is the sox!!!....If i had the money id have season tickets, but im a poor college student. Everyone in my frat are Cub fans so I think of myself as an awesome sox fan b/c i have to go through all that cub crap!

+ i went to a game in april, and skipped class to watch opening day on TV:D:

pudge
02-21-2006, 02:28 AM
Fascinating thread...

The original poster marked himself an 8/10 because he didn't know Sox history and couldn't pay for season tickets (I don't think not having money should count, so I'd make him a 9.) In that case, I'm a 10 from the moment I became a Sox fan until now. I know plenty about team history and I've been shelling out money for the MLB TV package since friggin '98. As a kid, I even lived and died on every game when they sucked (see 1989).

But now, after winning the Series, I thought I would be satisfied and cool down my fandom. I figured I'd drop to an 8 or 7. But I gotta say, I don't know if that's gonna happen. I think as long as the Sox are contenders, I won't be able to stop being a 10. But if they fade for a few years, that could be the first time I will tune out. Then again, maybe not....

gaelhound
02-21-2006, 03:45 AM
My earliest memory of the White Sox was sitting on the floor of our apartment at 35th and Marshfield and "watching" (trust me)Minoso on the radio. My Dad had to hoist me up to use the "Future White Sox Players" trough in the mens room. When I batted I was Pete Ward, When I fielded I was Ken Berry. I carried a sign that read "Stop 'EM Short Little Looie" on Luis Aparicio Day. I actually knew that Hungarian guy that climbed on the back stop screen to get a ball for his kid ,(1967ish?). I was true when they lost over 100 games, I rose during the Tanner years, I've booed Tony La Russa's kids in the Father Son Game because he left Burns in too long in 1983. I told this to Tony while Drinking Cuba Libres in the Bar at the Adams Mark Hotel in Kansas City! I had a Resident Director in my College dorm sit me down for a little heart to heart after seeing me sit outside the dorm with my radio for hours in the cold. I was catching the Sox on'BBM out in Cedar Rapids Iowa. The RD thought this was peculiar. While travelling I had to get a Sox Score, I could listen to the game through horrendous static. I have done Sox missionary work in Iowa, North Suburban Chicago, and now in Wisconsin. When the game is on, I always insist the bar try to get the Sox on the big screen. I have always answered and have taught others to answer "Hell yeah, I'm a Sox Fan!". Thru trades, strikes, futility, I have never ever quit my team,EVER! I could list my bonifides forever, I was cheering for Kittle to launch one off the big cat in baseballs earliest (you could look it up) No Hitter! Put this on a scale? The Sox have been my summer for my whole life. I am devoted and I always will be in love with South Side Baseball. The Championship spilled a little over tthe rim, but my cup has always been full!

gaelhound
02-21-2006, 03:56 AM
10/10- I went to a Thursday afternoon get away game during the Jerry Manuel era.
And Stayed for the Whole game!
You Turn it up to eleven!

The Dude
02-21-2006, 10:21 AM
Early 90s, 5 of 10
Mid 90s 7-10
late 90s 7-10
2000 9-10
2001-present 10-10

After our 2000 season, i started making the switch from football to baseball as my favorite sport and havent looked back since. This season has been a dream come true.

jdm2662
02-21-2006, 10:58 AM
1985-1989: 6/10. This was my pre-high school days. Growing up in the heart of the Ditka era, Michael Jordan era, and the Blackhawks still making the conference finals, and the White Sox flat out brutual, the Sox were on the low end of the priorty list. Both my mom's and dad's family are Sox fans, but my dad wasn't a huge baseball fan. He also didn't hate the Cubs (Ron Santo was his favorite player growing up). He did, however, hated Cub fans...

1990-1994: 9/10. The 1990 caught every one's attention. Rarely missed a game, and knew all the player's stats. Was probably most into them during this era. This was also during most of my high school days where I was into sports the most.

1995-1998: 0/10. I boycotted baseball during this time after the strike. Baseball didn't exist during this time for me (and no, sorry Sammy and Mark didn't "save" baseball for me).

1999: 3/10. The Sox started playing young players, and it caught my attention. I started watching games again, but only causual basis. What really caught my attention was the love the Cubs got, eventhough by June, the Sox would have a better record than them. This was the first I caught the undivided love between the teams per say. I didn't notice it in the early 90s, and quite honostly didn't even care.

2000-2002: 7/10. Started to watch on a regular basis. Broke my boycott and attended several games a year.

2003-present: 8/10. I would say I started getting more into them around this time. Baseball is still not my favorite sport, but I've gotten more interested in it. Back in 2000, The Sox only mattered, and I didn't care about anyone else.

alohafri
02-21-2006, 11:07 AM
I jumped on the bandwagon during Game Four of the World Series...9th inning to be exact.

IggyD
02-21-2006, 11:17 AM
How can I rate myself?

Having been raised in "Canaryville & Back of the Yards". I've been Sox fan all my life. Yes I had disappointments, but always supported my Sox. My Mom always called them her boys. She installed in me the love for this team. Dad loved the Cubs......boo...

Going to games at the old park, seeing fireworks from my back porch are the earliest memories I have of them....

I am also a Star Trek fan, but not loopy about it. Actually any Sci-Fi stuff.

So if I have to put a number on being a Sox fan berfore and after this season.

Before - 10 + waiting...........
Now - 10 + World Champion White Sox Fan who cannot get enough of my team.:bandance:

McCuddy
02-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Thought-provoking subject.

I'd rate myself pretty high on the scale - have been to at least one game every year since 1980 (although I have to double-check '99.) and still have the scorecards neatly packed away in the basement. Made openers every year from 85-89, cutting class when necessary. First season tickets in '92. (And, I will have them again someday - it was easier in the pre-married-with-house days...)

Got to see some great games... was there the night before they won it in '83, but got the right night in '93. Braved the 1992 home opener in 30 degree temperatures to see Greg Hibbard throw a one-hit shutout... one more hit than I saw Jack Morris allow in '84. But, even when I haven't been there - it's been important to me to know what happened.

For me, the strike didn't curtail my love for the game. Oh, I disliked the players and the owners - but for me, the game itself was bigger than that.

I guess I'd be an 8 - I reserve the 10s for the fans who get out there every day. But, I'm working on it...

miker
02-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Wow, that's dedication!

sullythered
02-21-2006, 11:28 AM
I'm 26, so my memories only go as far back as the late 80's. But I wait for anything Sox on TV, I read every article that I can find, and I watch or listen to an average of about 155 or so games a year. (all that I can). I also pick up a baseball video game (would have been MVP Baseball until EA lost the exclusive) and play a full season (at least) every year. I cannot afford to go to a ton of games, but I do get to about 10-15 per season. This year I got the Ozzie Plan, and will probably supliment that w/ a few more. I think I'd rank myself around a 9, only because my attendance could be a little better.

ondafarm
02-21-2006, 11:43 AM
I was visited by my favorite White Sox player on the day I was born. When I had a tryout for my Japanese team at Chavez Ravine, my parents wouldn't come because it was the home park of the last team to beat the White Sox in the World Series. When the Dragons organization signed me to a minor league contract my parents said to the GM, "It's nice that you signed our son, but we always wanted him to be a White Sox." Can you imagine how well that got translated? When I was in high school the White Sox didn't even have a scout assigned to the greater Chicago area.

anti-cub
02-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Born in 1971 in the Beverly neighborhood.
70's 5 of 10, too young to watch all games, didn't hate the Cubs either, but that's cause they were a normal organization at that time and didn't have the Cubune promoting The Wrigley Experience instead of baseball.

80's, 8 of10, Minnie came to our local park and I got my baseball signed by him. In 1984 I was a big Van Halen fan and was so ticked off when the Cubs picked up Jump as their song. I don't remember not hating them until they used that song, but I'm sure I was just starting to wise up at that time. At 10 years old I went to the first sox game that I can remember and still have the ticket stub for it (My lucky charm). Fisk hit a grand slam against Milwaukee too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the '81' opening game still hold the record for highest attendance for a Chicago home opener?

90's, 7 of 10, very angry seeing the Baseball Palace of the World torn down and very resentful toward Reinsdorf. Still spent alot of time going to games, though I think after the strike there was more heckling to our players than opposing players.

00's 9 of 10, continued since 96 going to every opening day (this year may end the tradition though). Moved to southloop at Roosevelt and was one L stop from the stadium. Moved a bit south to 18th and now bike to day games, stop at Ricobene's (my halfway point) to grab a beer and then to the stadium. Looking forward to continuing that tradition this year. Go Sox.

billnahorodny
02-21-2006, 12:41 PM
My Story seems to be pretty similar to other people in this thread.

Late 70's growing up in Bridgeport: 10/10. Went to as many games as possible. I think anly as a little kid can you achieve a 10/10.

Early 80's Winning Ugly: 8/10: My family had moved to the suburbs so it dropped a bit...but still very strong.

Mid-late 80's: 6/10: I was in HS and we had some bad teams but never went over to the dark side and still went to games whenever I had the chance.

Early 90's: 8/10: College and good teams but went to school in Iowa so surrounded by Cub fans.

Mid to late 90's: 4/10: Work, grad school, strike, WFT make it hard to think about baseball at all...but still never considered supporting any other team

1999-2002: 4/10: I lived and worked in Europe and hardly thought about baseball but still strongly identified with the Sox when Europeans would ask about the participants in the HR race going on at the time.

2002-onward: 9/10: Coming back to the US after having been abroad for a long time, I really didn't like anything about being back here. Interestingly, for the first time in years, I found myself watching and looking forward to watching Sox games...I guess there was just something familiar and comfortable about it. Now I have season tickets and watch (or tape) every inning.

Rooney4Prez56
02-21-2006, 01:11 PM
before '05 - 8/10

I watched about 80-90% of games on TV, and I wore my Sox jersey to school on Opening Day, yelling "THE SOX WILL WIN THE WORLD SERIES THIS YEAR!", which they actually did last year.

now - 10/10

I will watch EVERY game this season, as well as looking into Sox farm system and wearing my jersey any chance I get. I will wear a Sox cap before wearing any other cap during the season, and I will frequently post on this site.

HebrewHammer
02-21-2006, 01:45 PM
10/10

I bought a 27 game package before last year. I enjoy basketball and soccer, but the Sox are really the only team I follow with any passion.

SoLongFrank
02-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Is there a scale?

9/10: listened/watched every inning of ev game?
8/10: listened/watched some innings of ev game?
7/10: listened/watched most games?
6/10: listened/watched more than 1/2 the games?
5/10: " at least 1/2 of the games?
4/10: * less than 1/2 of the games?
3/10: " less than 10 games a month?
2/10: * every game of the post season?
1/10: " every game of the world series?
0/10: you either don't like baseball or you're a N side fanatic

Honestly, I don't think I'm deserving of more than a 7. I know there were games I missed.

soccermomsox
02-21-2006, 03:15 PM
I have been born and raised a sox fan. There was no other team in chicago as far as my family was concerned. To be honest, as a kid, I would have to say 2/10. I was a girl, in dance and thought baseball was boring as anything, but I always knew I was a sox fan. They used to give tickets for kids with perfect attendance/honor roll and my dad always took me. In high school and beyond, probably 5/10. I was lucky enough to have an aunt with season tickets so I was able to go to a lot of games but still didn't know all that much about baseball.

Since '00 when my oldest son was born - 7/10. It's really weird, but having a child made me pay more attention. I wanted to pass on my love of the sox to him and I could only do that if i knew what the heck was going on! It helps that he loves all things sports and is very interested. I give myself a 7 because I don't know much about sox past and can't retain old players names/stats, etc.

As a family, we have really enjoyed going to soxfest the last few years and we try to get to as many games as possible each year, but the game is on the tv every time they play. We go to opening day every year (except this year. our opening day is going to be April 4). You can make or break my day by whether or not the sox win. I may not know everyone's stats, every team they played for before they got here, but the sox will always be my team, regardless of who is on it, who owns it, or where they play!

IggyD
02-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Is there a scale?

9/10: listened/watched every inning of ev game?
8/10: listened/watched some innings of ev game?
7/10: listened/watched most games?
6/10: listened/watched more than 1/2 the games?
5/10: " at least 1/2 of the games?
4/10: * less than 1/2 of the games?
3/10: " less than 10 games a month?
2/10: * every game of the post season?
1/10: " every game of the world series?
0/10: you either don't like baseball or you're a N side fanatic

Honestly, I don't think I'm deserving of more than a 7. I know there were games I missed.
Wow...according your scale...people better not have a life or even have to go to the bathroom or have any other responsibilities that would last longer than a full inning to be a "10" on the fan scale. I'd hate to be judged by you....too strict:cool:

SoLongFrank
02-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Wow...according your scale...people better not have a life or even have to go to the bathroom or have any other responsibilities that would last longer than a full inning to be a "10" on the fan scale. I'd hate to be judged by you....too strict:cool:

Those were my sentiments as well. I developed the scale from earlier posts. I think it's a tough scale. I was thinking we should get a point credit if we root against the N Siders.

Sxy Mofo
02-21-2006, 05:20 PM
compared to most of you guys... 3 out of 10. Compared to most sox fans 9 out of 10.

Because... and i know this is sacreligious here, i'm a slightly bigger bears and notre dame football fan than a sox fan. And when i say slightly, i mean slightly.

however, this isn't as bad as it seems, as I'm a huge football fan (will watch any random game, college or pro, but especially my teams), and not a big general baseball fan.

i would say i'm the same now as i ever was, as I'm not the type to let championships (or lackthereof) affect my view of one of my teams.

TomBradley72
02-21-2006, 06:46 PM
10/10 in the 70's, 80's, 90's and now. I can't believe how much I have always put into the White Sox...I've watched meaningless September baseball ahead of college/NFL football, I bought a partial season ticket package for the 1987 season (!), I sat through an entire DH on the last day of the season, in the rain, against Minnesota (Fisk hit a HR to end the season in a walk off if I remember correctly) in the early 90's. I 've listened to games that could barely be heard on AM radio all around the midwest...I've sat in my car and listened because that gave the best reception.

10/10 1972-present.

ChiSoxGirl
02-21-2006, 11:16 PM
In the late 80s/early 90s, I'd rate myself as 4/10. I was between 10-13 years old at this time and with my dad not really being a competitive sports fan in general, I was lucky if I made it to one game each season, if that. Days after we buried my grandpa (who started me on the Sox) in June 1990, I started walking around the house with headphones on, listening to the games for him. I don't remember watching many games during this time- mainly because I didn't have cable- and I credit much of my current baseball knowledge to the radio.

In the mid-late 90s, as my age started to rise, so did my passion for the Sox, and I was probably around 7/10. I began driving down to the ballpark myself, either meeting people down there or just going to games alone, which allowed me to throw myself into baseball more.

From 2000 onward, it's like a monster was created because the passion I felt for the team only intensified with each passing season, and I became 10/10. Not only was I a Sox fan, but my overall love for the game of baseball seemingly grew right along with my love for the Sox. My desire to see other ballparks rose, as did my anxiousness to get to more games each season. I now attend between 15-25 games a season and I don't see that subsiding.