PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip

JimmyJoe
02-19-2006, 08:46 PM
My friends and I would like to put together a couple of road trips to Sox games this year. None of us have done this before and are excited to do this as the reigning World Champs! Please let me know if anyone knows any good tips (hotels, which towns are better, where to sit in different parks). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

whitesoxwilkes
02-19-2006, 09:18 PM
My friends and I would like to put together a couple of road trips to Sox games this year. None of us have done this before and are excited to do this as the reigning World Champs! Please let me know if anyone knows any good tips (hotels, which towns are better, where to sit in different parks). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cleveland's a bargain. Not that bad a drive and you can stay in a four-star hotel downtown (there's exactly 2, I stay at the Reniassance) for about $110 a night. Pretty mich any seat at the Jake in the lower bowl is a good one...and you can sit behind the plate for 25 bucks.

If you head up to the Twin Cities, try and get a seat as close to the Sox bullpen as possible. Pretty good view of the field from down there and the rows aren't as wide as they are closer to the infield.

dcb56
02-19-2006, 09:44 PM
An awesome idea for road trips this year is Toronto. The Sox are making two trips up there, which makes the purchase of one of the Jays' ten game flex packs (they start at $76 for upper tank seats plus you can get a free upgrade to the next price level) more than reasonable even if you let the other four tickets go unused. The real kicker with this deal is as a flex plan holder, you get the option to buy Jays post season tickets before the general public. I'm still up in the air on whether or not I will do this, though, mainly becuase I've already spent a lot of money on the Sox this year.

Road trips I have planned so far this year:
I'll be headed to Minnesota for the series in May. I'll be driving out to Ames, IA to visit a friend I haven't seen in three years and then head up to Minny for the Saturday and Sunday games.

In September I'm driving out to Boston to see the beloved Pale Hose take on the Carmines for both the Monday and Tuesday games. Will be crashing with a friend who recently moved there, and will stop by Cooperstown for an afternoon on the way back.

Chisox003
02-19-2006, 09:52 PM
I'm headed to Cinci this summer

Leaving June 15, going to Friday and Saturday's games

Boozing and baseball for 3 days straight in a city I've never been to

Can't wait

I went to Cleveland last year, but my opinion is worthless since we planned the trip so terribly and stayed in a ****ty motel. Spend the $, take your time, and it'll be fun.

Mots09
02-19-2006, 10:29 PM
I have been to Minny mutltiple times to see the Sox play. Additionally I was lucky enough to play at the dome after they re-did the turf.

I would advise if you are going to Minny to get some seats that are general admission in the outfield. Get there early and you get a seat and a hot dog and soda for 25.00. I was second row left center field.

Me and some buddies are heading down to KC the first weekend of April for that series and we are staying in Independence. Hotels around Kaufmann are brutal from what I have heard.

kane0730
02-20-2006, 10:45 AM
I'm heading down to Tampa Bay for the 3 games in May. Has anyone done this trip before? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

delben91
02-20-2006, 10:51 AM
I'd love to go to the games during the Pittsburgh trip, but it's looking like I'll be out in Arizona on business then, so I'm holding off in hopes that the business trip will get moved.

I go to the series at Camden Yards every year. I love sitting out in left field by the bullpens, I think this gives you one of the best views of the field. Though, in Camden Yards, there are few, if any bad seats.

Anyone have any recommendations for hotels in Baltimore? Every prior year I've lived in MD or DE and just commuted back and forth after the games, but this year I'll be staying in the city.

Cat Thief
02-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Has anyone here ever stayed at the Hilton across the street from the Jake?

whitesoxwilkes
02-20-2006, 11:05 AM
I'm heading down to Tampa Bay for the 3 games in May. Has anyone done this trip before? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Yeah, but I've always stayed at my Dad's so I can't give any hotel recommendations.

Make sure you check out Ferg's (http://www.fergsonline.com/html/location.html) just a quick walk from the Trop. Our own Dave Wills frequents it, so it's gotta be good!

McCuddy
02-20-2006, 01:02 PM
I'd love to go to the games during the Pittsburgh trip, but it's looking like I'll be out in Arizona on business then, so I'm holding off in hopes that the business trip will get moved.

I looked at Pittsburgh as well, but didn't see anything about single games on the website. Looks like they're trying to sell as many packages as possible to cash in on the All-Star game being there this year.

Scottiehaswheels
02-20-2006, 03:02 PM
KC is nice and cheap... you can get seats right by the Sox dugout for $27 each.... Minny is about the same.... I've been doing road trips for about 3 years now I guess.... This year I have all the Toronto games, Pittsburgh serues, Cincy series, all three Minny series, Oakland series, and 2 Boston games... If you have season tix check the media guide for where the Sox stay in the different cities if you're so inclined.... I usually try to stay near the ballpark.. KC is a lil difficult because its so far outside of the city but they do have 2-3 hotels nearby that are within walking distance... Quite a few of the ballparks in the AL are right in the downtown area though so not to far to walk from your hotel to the park.... Average price will prolly run ya 100-150 a night for a decent place

WSDaytonOH
02-20-2006, 03:59 PM

Thanks.

I'll be there as well. I'll drive up from Ft. Myers Beach and probably scalp the day of. :gulp:

WikdChiSoxFan
02-20-2006, 04:17 PM
A group of three did the road trip to cleveland last year right after the all-star break...we had a blast and it's probably the best first trip... The field is nice. This city not so great.... We went to Shooter's both nights... Saw Frank Thomas and Jermaine Dye catchin a cab in the parking lot... (Dye was limping and holding his leg from the spider bites) But we stayed out of dowtown cause it was cheaper.

This year we want to hit up Pitt and Cinci, we'd like to a West Coast trip in the future... I hear Seattle is cool. I wish we played Philly this year.

Bump34
02-21-2006, 10:04 AM

Thanks.

The team stays at the Vinoy Renaissance ... and believe it or not its one of the best road hotels in the game... there are also several other hotels in the downtown St. Pete area... Ferg's is a great place to go after games... It has become my Jimbo's of St. Pete...

Southwest... Ted and American Airlines fly into Tampa... USA3000 flies into St. Pete...

If anyone has any ?'s about a trip to Tampa Bay I will try and answer them...

I don't think you will have to scalp tix... but tix did go on sale on Saturday... they are available at devilrays.com

skottyj242
02-21-2006, 10:23 AM
I'm doing Cincy.

ChiSoxGirl
02-21-2006, 10:35 AM
If all goes as planned, I'm going to Pittsburgh with chisoxmike, IronFisk, DumpJerry, chisoxfanatic, and a cast of others. This will be my first Sox roadtrip, so I'm very excited!

Doobie148
02-21-2006, 01:31 PM
I just booked our hotel and bought tickets for the Sox in Toronto over Memorial Day. Can't wait!

maurice
02-21-2006, 05:08 PM
I posted this before, but here are some potentially drivable Sox-related road trips for 2006:
April - Sox @ Detroit; Charlotte @ Toledo, Columbus & Buffalo
May - Sox @ Cleveland (twice), Minnesota & Toronto; Charlotte @ Louisville & Indy
June - Sox @ Cincy & Pittsburgh; Charlotte @ Columbus & Toledo; Birmingham @ West Tenn; Kannapolis @ WV
July - Sox @ Detroit; Kannapolis @ Lexington, KY & Lake County, OH
August - Sox @ Toronto, Minny & Detroit; Charlotte @ Louisville & Indy
September - Sox @ Cleveland & Minny

Some of these synch up nicely in terms of dates and geography -- for example:
- the April games in Detroit, Toledo & Columbus
- the late-April games in Buffalo & the early-May games in Cleveland
- the June games in Pittsburgh, Columbus, Toledo & WV
- every Indy / Louisville series

Mots09
02-21-2006, 05:43 PM
ScottyHasWheels

where are some good bars to hit before or after the game that is resonably close to the stadium in KC? I know there is a hotel bar at the Drury any other suggestions?

Scottiehaswheels
02-21-2006, 11:01 PM
ScottyHasWheels

where are some good bars to hit before or after the game that is resonably close to the stadium in KC? I know there is a hotel bar at the Drury any other suggestions?

Well... I ran into some of the players at a bar by their hotel... I just happened to go there with a friend of mine from the KC area after the game... Its called The Saloon or something like that... I know.. real original... Nice place though I guess... I just usually go wherever my friend thinks is gonna be fun... I don't really keep tabs on the names of places... Sorry I can't be more help

MrRoboto83
02-21-2006, 11:56 PM
I just booked our hotel and bought tickets for the Sox in Toronto over Memorial Day. Can't wait!

I plan on going to these series as well. See you there!

Anyone know where the Sox stay in Toronto??

areilly
02-22-2006, 08:26 AM
Click here for a great time in Cincy (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1040668&postcount=16).

(Mods: Sorry for the cross-post, I read the Reds thread first.)

champagne030
02-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Well... I ran into some of the players at a bar by their hotel... I just happened to go there with a friend of mine from the KC area after the game... Its called The Saloon or something like that... I know.. real original... Nice place though I guess... I just usually go wherever my friend thinks is gonna be fun... I don't really keep tabs on the names of places... Sorry I can't be more help

It's called the granfalloon........

http://www.thegranfalloon.com/default_plaza.htm

......have been seeing the Sox players there for years.

skottyj242
02-22-2006, 09:38 AM
My boss took me to a Reds game in Cincy in 2003 and we went to a Dave and Busters type place after the game and had a really good time. It was a little southwest of the stadium.

Mots09
02-22-2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

IlliniSox
02-22-2006, 03:12 PM
I was wondering why hotels for Baltimore in July were so scarce and expensive, there's a couple huge conventions in town that weekend, including the Firefighters convention. Be prepared to spend more than a usual weekend; yet I see plenty of quality seats left for the games.

rookie
02-22-2006, 10:36 PM
I was all set to go visit my friend in DC this summer to catch the Sox at Camden. Turns out she's actually coming home that weekend so now she's dragging me to the Nationals/Cubs game the weekend before.:angry:

Fake Chet Lemon
02-23-2006, 01:05 PM
great idea

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63909

ChiSoxGirl
02-24-2006, 11:52 AM
FYI, airfare to Pittsburgh is VERY cheap. I checked this morning, and leaving the morning of Tuesday, June 27 and returning the night of June 29 has a roundtrip price of $97 and change on Southwest!

For those of us living closer to O'Hare, USAir has roundtrip airfare- flying on the same dates and times- for $128 and change! :bandance:

chisoxfanatic
02-24-2006, 03:18 PM
If all goes as planned, I'm going to Pittsburgh with chisoxmike, IronFisk, DumpJerry, chisoxfanatic, and a cast of others. This will be my first Sox roadtrip, so I'm very excited!

I might be in Toronto then visiting my hunnie, so I can't promise anything. It's just something I threw out there. We'll see...

SOXintheBURGH
02-24-2006, 04:26 PM
FYI, airfare to Pittsburgh is VERY cheap. I checked this morning, and leaving the morning of Tuesday, June 27 and returning the night of June 29 has a roundtrip price of $97 and change on Southwest!

For those of us living closer to O'Hare, USAir has roundtrip airfare- flying on the same dates and times- for $128 and change! :bandance:

Single game tix go on sale next Saturday, FYI. My new job is about a block from PNC, so I got that going for me.