PDA

View Full Version : Something just occurred to me

thomas35forever
02-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Rookie of the Year was on ABC Family yesterday and I was just wondering about something. After the kid throws the ball from the bleachers to home plate, why would those fans be mad at him? I'd be more amazed than mad. They were probably just mad that they were upstaged by a 12-year-old times 10.

SOXintheBURGH
02-19-2006, 04:11 PM
That movie was so adorable though, just like my Cubbies!

:crossdresser

IlliniSox4Life
02-19-2006, 04:15 PM
I caught part of it on TV too. Mainly because my friend told me that the kid in it (who is later in American Pie) is his cousin, and I haven't seen it in a long time, so thought I'd watch a bit. Anyway, the movie in itself doesn't really make sense, and there's more things illogical about it than those guys getting mad. For example, a 12 year old in the majors. Or the Cubs winning the World Series. To answer your question though, I think it was just because they were upstaged and drunk bleacher bums.

By the way, did you find it ironic that in the movie when that big Mets guy is up to bat and Henry falls and his arm goes back to normal he hits his second to last pitch out of the park but it goes foul? Everyone is waving it to the left, it goes foul, and they are happy. Just reminded me of the Bartman ordeal, and how everyone wished it stayed in the field of play. Same side of the park.

VA_GoGoSox
02-19-2006, 04:40 PM
I thought the movie was very realistic...the cubs had a pitcher that got injured.:D:

thomas35forever
02-19-2006, 04:42 PM
By the way, did you find it ironic that in the movie when that big Mets guy is up to bat and Henry falls and his arm goes back to normal he hits his second to last pitch out of the park but it goes foul? Everyone is waving it to the left, it goes foul, and they are happy. Just reminded me of the Bartman ordeal, and how everyone wished it stayed in the field of play. Same side of the park.

Speaking of the big Mets guy, if that guy really existed, I'm almost 100% sure he'd be testifying before Congress about the steroid scandal. I mean, come on. His muscles were huge and he was grinding the bat with his hands.

A fun fact for those who haven't seen the movie: it features a cameo by a young (and skinnier) Barry Bonds, during which he strikes out.

Max Power
02-19-2006, 05:21 PM
They shot the outside school scenes at my middle school. We thought that was like totally awesome back in the day.

I like how the bleachers were nearly empty for the game they went to.

Scottiehaswheels
02-19-2006, 05:44 PM
I was at the game in I think it was '93 or '94 when they filmed some background scenes at Comiskey... My cousin won a couple hundred dollar gift cert to Nike Town or something like that... pretty cool

Clembasbal
02-19-2006, 05:45 PM
By the way, did you find it ironic that in the movie when that big Mets guy is up to bat and Henry falls and his arm goes back to normal he hits his second to last pitch out of the park but it goes foul?

If you look really closely, as slow down the flim...you will see the Mets dude hit the ball foul...then they go to a close up of the ball being hit and going foul. The best part about this entire scene is that right when they cut to the close up of the ball...at the bottom of the screen you will see a hand throwing the ball into the air. It is really quick, you need to pause it quickly and locate the hand at the bottom of the screen throwing the ball up. Really funny that nobody cut that out of the film.

itsnotrequired
02-19-2006, 05:49 PM
If you look really closely, as slow down the flim...you will see the Mets dude hit the ball foul...then they go to a close up of the ball being hit and going foul. The best part about this entire scene is that right when they cut to the close up of the ball...at the bottom of the screen you will see a hand throwing the ball into the air. It is really quick, you need to pause it quickly and locate the hand at the bottom of the screen throwing the ball up. Really funny that nobody cut that out of the film.

That movie is factually inaccurate!:rolleyes:

http://www.moviemistakes.com/film1097

SoxFan76
02-19-2006, 05:49 PM
I was at the game in I think it was '93 or '94 when they filmed some background scenes at Comiskey... My cousin won a couple hundred dollar gift cert to Nike Town or something like that... pretty cool

When they play the Dodgers you can clearly see they're playing at Comiskey. I was watching it with a lady friend yesterday...she's a Cub fan. Not much I could do...haha

4th Gen. Sox Fan
02-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Speaking of the big Mets guy, if that guy really existed, I'm almost 100% sure he'd be testifying before Congress about the steroid scandal. I mean, come on. His muscles were huge and he was grinding the bat with his hands.

A fun fact for those who haven't seen the movie: it features a cameo by a young (and skinnier) Barry Bonds, during which he strikes out.

He was Ogre in "Revenge of the Nerds I & II"

Deebs14
02-19-2006, 06:31 PM

That's hallarious. I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for that the next time I watch that movie.

Damn I wish that ball would've been fair.:cool:

MarySwiss
02-19-2006, 06:54 PM
I for one cannot believe that we are discussing this ludicrous piece-of-Disney **** at all.

BTW, this is the frst time I'm testing the language filter. So, if **** comes out as ****, NOT MY FAULT!

pearso66
02-19-2006, 06:58 PM
When they play the Dodgers you can clearly see they're playing at Comiskey. I was watching it with a lady friend yesterday...she's a Cub fan. Not much I could do...haha

I noticed that the last time I watched it too. They were supposed to be in LA, but you could clearly see it was Comiskey

TheDarkGundam
02-19-2006, 07:11 PM
IIRC, Roger Ebert gave it a "thumbs up".
Some Sox fan he is. :rolleyes:

JohnBasedowYoda
02-19-2006, 07:25 PM

http://www.moviemistakes.com/film1097

Wow cool website find. I'm reading the entry on Commando right now...

doublem23
02-19-2006, 08:55 PM
What I still find hard to believe is that the Cubs win the World Series despite the fact that their two best pitchers get completely ****ed up in that game against the Mets. What a load of ****.

fusillirob1983
02-19-2006, 09:38 PM
What I still find hard to believe is that the Cubs win the World Series despite the fact that their two best pitchers get completely ****ed up in that game against the Mets. What a load of ****.

I thought the same thing yesterday.

EDIT:

Also, I'm looking at that movie mistakes page. One of the mistakes says they are playing in the playoffs to see who goes to the World Series. It's actually to see who wins the division. The movie has the mistake of John Candy saying the winner goes to the World Series, and the website has the mistake of saying they're already in the playoffs.

gobears1987
02-19-2006, 10:40 PM

http://www.moviemistakes.com/film1097Yeah last time I watched that movie I was yelling "balk."

ewokpelts
02-19-2006, 11:23 PM
I for one cannot believe that we are discussing this ludicrous piece-of-Disney **** at all.

BTW, this is the frst time I'm testing the language filter. So, if **** comes out as ****, NOT MY FAULT!
It's Worse...IT'S FROM FOX.....

thomas35forever
02-20-2006, 12:09 AM
It's Worse...IT'S FROM FOX.....

Quoter: [on phone; synthetic voice] For automated stock prices,
please state the company name.
Homer: Animotion.
Quoter: Animotion: Up one and one-half.
Homer: Yahoo!
Quoter: Yahoo: Up six and a quarter.
Homer: Huh? What is this crap?
Quoter: Fox Broadcasting: Down eight. [Homer smiles]

FedEx227
02-20-2006, 12:38 AM
Also, I'm looking at that movie mistakes page. One of the mistakes says they are playing in the playoffs to see who goes to the World Series. It's actually to see who wins the division. The movie has the mistake of John Candy saying the winner goes to the World Series, and the website has the mistake of saying they're already in the playoffs.

Yeah a friend and me, with way too much damn time on our hands this summer, actually looked deep into the confusion of the playoffs/world series/division title thing.
The manager says something to Chet to the effect of "No, I'm saving you for the playoffs" (in the final game)
then Candy says "This is for a trip to the Wooooooorld Series... I've always wanted to say it like that, I mean I say it a lot but never like Wooooooooooorld Ser- AND we're on the Air"

So yeah... we then proceed to find out who was in charge of baseball facts for the movie and laughed at his existence for hours (or 3 minutes).

I love that movie though, maybe I'm a bad Sox fan, but its always great to laugh at Chet Stedman's sweet grunting after every pitch. "EIIIYAH"

Hangar18
02-20-2006, 10:35 AM
I was at Wrigley for this "game", there was a nite game and after it was over, a whole bunch of people in various NL uniforms came out and started practicing. Some movie guy came out and asked the crowd to please stay so they could film, but there werent too many people there by the time the game had ended!!!!!!!!! SO they crowded people into sections where the camera would be so it wouldnt look empty. Im in the 1st row by the flubs dugout, and I remember a couple of movie types coming up to me and asking me to remove my SOX hat. I said Why, they said they didnt want my hat showing up on film ........... I tried to argue with them, but finally relented.
What a dumb movie. I saw the kid in front of us with his uniform. I remember saying "HeyKid, the Cubs will never go to the WS hahahahaha"
he just smiled in agreement. In scenes where hes winding up, he never had a ball in his hand, they edited the ball in later. They forced everyone to cheer loudly, and yes for some of the "homerun" sequences, they had a guy point at the bleachers, and everyone was supposed to act like they caught a ball. I also remember them telling everyone to be completely quiet.........til the ball got into the bleachers. What a silly fictitious movie

itsnotrequired
02-20-2006, 11:00 AM
What a silly fictitious movie

As opposed to other realistic baseball movies such as "Angels in the Outfield".

:tongue:

SOXintheBURGH
02-20-2006, 11:40 AM
As opposed to other realistic baseball movies such as "Angels in the Outfield".

:tongue:

Ghosts often play pickup games in my back yard in Pennsylvania too. But since most of them are Sox players, we let it slide. I don't let Ty Cobb in though. We tell him to stick it.

TornLabrum
02-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Ghosts often play pickup games in my back yard in Pennsylvania too. But since most of them are Sox players, we let it slide. I don't let Ty Cobb in though. We tell him to stick it.

I remember you telling the story once about one of those players asking, "Is this hell?" and you replied, "No, it's Pennsylvania."

SOXintheBURGH
02-20-2006, 11:55 AM
I remember you telling the story once about one of those players asking, "Is this hell?" and you replied, "No, it's Pennsylvania."

About 40 miles down the road in Dunbar County you will find Hell.

thomas35forever
02-20-2006, 10:10 PM
I remember a couple of movie types coming up to me and asking me to remove my SOX hat. I said Why, they said they didnt want my hat showing up on film ........... I tried to argue with them, but finally relented.

Why would they do that when there's a shot of a Sox shirt and a Bulls championship shirt in the movie.