PDA

View Full Version : Mens Senior Baseball League

itsnotrequired
02-19-2006, 01:11 PM
I downloaded the February 17 MLB Radio Daily podcast to hear about the Sox recent visit to the White House. The first half of the show was dedicated to talking about the Mets and then they made the segue into the White House segment. Problem was, they must have cued up the wrong interview because it most definitely NOT about the Sox visiting the White House. Another media rip! Where's Hangar?:wink:

Anyway, instead they had the head of the Mens Senior Baseball League (MSBL) on to talk about the organization. I had never heard of it before. It is a competitive league for older dudes that want to keep playing hardball. They have divisions for those aged 28+, 38+, 48+, 58+ and even a 65+ age bracket! They have their own "World Series" and everything.

Has anyone seen any of the games? Any WSIers involved in a team, currently or in the past? Seems like a pretty awesome organization.

http://www.msblnational.com/

Brian26
02-24-2006, 09:21 PM
They have divisions for those aged 28+, 38+, 48+, 58+ and even a 65+ age bracket! They have their own "World Series" and everything.

Somewhere, someday, I guarantee there's going to be a 65 yrs + powerhouse team full of Dominicans who are really only 45 years old.

Palehose Pete
02-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Someone should tell Julio Franco about this right away!!

NoNeckEra
02-24-2006, 10:04 PM
I downloaded the February 17 MLB Radio Daily podcast to hear about the Sox recent visit to the White House. The first half of the show was dedicated to talking about the Mets and then they made the segue into the White House segment. Problem was, they must have cued up the wrong interview because it most definitely NOT about the Sox visiting the White House. Another media rip! Where's Hangar?:wink:

Anyway, instead they had the head of the Mens Senior Baseball League (MSBL) on to talk about the organization. I had never heard of it before. It is a competitive league for older dudes that want to keep playing hardball. They have divisions for those aged 28+, 38+, 48+, 58+ and even a 65+ age bracket! They have their own "World Series" and everything.

Has anyone seen any of the games? Any WSIers involved in a team, currently or in the past? Seems like a pretty awesome organization.

http://www.msblnational.com/
Yes, I'm in the 38+ league and we play games in the western suburbs. I'm 51 and about average age on the team. Some of these guys haven't missed a year of organized ball since high school, and others, like me, either gave it up for a while and decided to get back into it, or never played hardball since little league, found out about this league by accident, and got into it that way(me). Once you get back on the field, it's awesome.

In fact, I think ex-sox Don Pall(The Pope) is in the league, along with former major leaguer, Bill(Soup) Campbell. As you can imagine, the talent level is all over the place, but everyone has fun and the overall play is probably at high school sophmore level(in my league).

Some guys are in multiple leagues, and even travel to Arizone and Fla for tournaments.

Palehose Pete
02-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Oh man, this is wild stuff. This looks like fun. I had no idea a league like this was out there. How do you get on teams?

Palehose Pete
02-24-2006, 10:25 PM
I should have added to my last post that I did actually follow the link given but couldn't find anything about how to join other than by contacting people. I guess I'm worried that they're looking for athletes, which I'm not. I'm in shape, just not baseball shape. Anyway, thanks for the info on the league and the link.

RadioheadRocks
02-27-2006, 02:10 AM
Sounds like a good organization. I'll admit though that the first thing I thought about when I heard "Senior Baseball League" was the Senior Professional Baseball Association from 1990. This seemed like a pretty cool idea for former Major Leaguers to continue their playing careers, but even back then I pretty much knew it wouldn't last long. Somewhere in my memorabilia boxes I have a souvenir cup from the Ft. Myers Sun Sox that was sent to me by a Sox fan in Florida that I used to trade memorabilia with (unfortunately we've lost touch quite a few years ago).

Linky: http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Senior_Professional_Baseball_Association

SOXintheBURGH
02-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Is Danny Almonte eligible yet?