PDA

View Full Version : Thome to bat 3rd

Jjav829
02-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Buried in a Daily Herald article about Buehrle starting Opening Day is this nugget.

Ozzie Guillen briefly watched Thome hit Saturday. “The one thing I liked is he tried to hit the ball to left (opposite) field,’’ Guillen said. “When you see a guy who is going to be your third hitter, you don’t want him to yank everything. He’s a professional hitter.’’

Not a suprising decision in the least bit, but it's the first confirmation of the move that we've heard from Ozzie.

Link (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=157840)

delben91
02-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Buried in a Daily Herald article about Buehrle starting Opening Day is this nugget.

Not a suprising decision in the least bit, but it's the first confirmation of the move that we've heard from Ozzie.

Link (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=157840)

This only makes sense. A guy with Thome's OBP potential should be in the 3 spot to increase the number of times you get to the middle of the order hitters with men on base.

Realist
02-19-2006, 09:22 AM
So based on the hints we've been getting, the line up might look something like this?

Podsednik
Uribe
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Iguchi
Crede
Pierzynski
Anderson

SectionBNole
02-19-2006, 09:23 AM
Thats a pretty solid lineup!

Jjav829
02-19-2006, 09:28 AM
So based on the hints we've been getting, the line up might look something like this?

Podsednik
Uribe
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Iguchi
Crede
Pierzynski
Anderson

I would guess that it would be something like...

Podsednik
Uribe
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Iguchi
Pierzynski
Anderson
Crede

That is assuming that Ozzie sticks with this plan to bat Uribe second and Iguchi down in the order, something that isn't a done deal yet.

Crede_Fan
02-19-2006, 09:29 AM

Podsednik
Uribe
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Iguchi
Crede
Pierzynski
Anderson

I see AJ higher than 8th. Need to unblock all those right handers.

itsnotrequired
02-19-2006, 09:34 AM

Agreed.

SOXandILLINI
02-19-2006, 09:36 AM
i really think batting uribe 2nd is a very big mistake. he swings at way too many bad pitches and doesnt move the ball around the field the way a 2nd place hitter should. overall i think tadahito did a great job in the 2 hole. i guess the thinking is they can get moe offense from him in the 6 hole, i don't like it without a better option at the 2,

RedPinStripes
02-19-2006, 09:36 AM
I still like Iguchi in the 2 spot.

itsnotrequired
02-19-2006, 09:37 AM
i really think batting uribe 2nd is a very big mistake. he swings at way too many bad pitches and doesnt move the ball around the field the way a 2nd place hitter should. overall i think tadahito did a great job in the 2 hole. i guess the thinking is they can get moe offense from him in the 6 hole, i don't like it without a better option at the 2,

We'll have to see how it plays out in Spring Training. If Uribe can maintain some discipline, it should work out great.

Realist
02-19-2006, 09:38 AM

That's what I would think too, but I seem to remember Ozzie saying he wanted to move Crede up in the order. I think he also said something about having Iguchi bat 6th. Didn't Ozzie say that Anderson would bat 9th? Maybe I'm imagining some of this stuff.

jabrch
02-19-2006, 09:43 AM
I am looking for Crede to break out HUGE. I'd like to see him hitting 6th.

Pods
Uribe
Thome
PK
Dye
Crede
AJ
Iguchi
Anderson/Mackowiak/Owens

Realist
02-19-2006, 09:45 AM

After Frank hooked Uribe up with Walt Hriniak last year, Uribe's plate discipline approved in leaps and bounds. I believe Uribe actually lead the Sox in BBs in either all the playoffs or the World Series. Not too shabby.

If he can continue improving in his discipline, I have no problem with Uribe batting 2nd.

Edit: Uribe lead the Sox in BBs in the World Series with 3.

SOXSINCE'70
02-19-2006, 09:49 AM

Carl Everett would tell me that i'm an uneducated idiot,
but to me,it would make more sense to bat Thome 4th
in between Konerko and Dye.I would then put AJ in the 6 hole.
He'll have many more opportunities to knock in runs this year.
Hell,he became the first Sox catcher since Carlton Fisk to hit
18 HR's and knock in 50+ runs last year.

Flight #24
02-19-2006, 10:18 AM

IIRC, the thinking is that batting 2d forces Uribe to focus more on bat control, contact, strike zone management, and that they think he's got the talent to do that all well. We'll see. He does have solid bat control, so if his late-season zone management continues or improves, it could be a solid move.

boiler up
02-19-2006, 10:32 AM
where is our speed? just in pods?

caulfield12
02-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Actually, AJ had only 56 RBI´s last season. He had 77 the previous season in SF. Thought you might have been counting the playoffs too, but nowhere close to the 70´s.

I think Uribe hit much better in 2004 (remember Lew Ford and Uribe were hitting close to .400 for much of the first half?) when he was in the 2 spot, I don´t have an exact breakdown of the difference.

Everything I have read suggests Crede hitting 9th, which doesn´t make as much sense to me as Anderson in this spot due to his speed, and the fact you want to get more at-bats for Crede than Anderson, based on the last 6 weeks of the season and then the playoffs.

Maybe Ozzie thinks with Tad, AJ and Anderson getting on that it would give Crede more RBI opportunities, but I am not sure I agree with that strategy.

caulfield12
02-19-2006, 10:38 AM
where is our speed? just in pods?

Pods, Uribe, Anderson, Ozuna, Iguchi (although not running much from 6 or 7 hole....but who knows, maybe he will steal more with the bottom of the order coming up and Tad on 1st?)

Jerry Owens possibly, or Borchard, have decent speed.

No doubt AJ, Crede, Konerko and Thome are among the slowest quartet in any MLB line-up

Corlose 15
02-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Ozzie has said that one of the reasons why he'd like to put Iguchi lower in the order, besides for more RBI, is to give him the freedom to run more.

slavko
02-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Pods, Uribe, Anderson, Ozuna, Iguchi (although not running much from 6 or 7 hole....but who knows, maybe he will steal more with the bottom of the order coming up and Tad on 1st?)

Jerry Owens possibly, or Borchard, have decent speed.

No doubt AJ, Crede, Konerko and Thome are among the slowest quartet in any MLB line-up

Thome is going to amaze you with his speed getting to 1st base. You're looking at his body type and making an assumption. Plus much of his power is to left-center, so I'm not shocked at that part either.

jabrch
02-19-2006, 11:50 AM
After Frank hooked Uribe up with Walt Hriniak last year, Uribe's plate discipline approved in leaps and bounds. I believe Uribe actually lead the Sox in BBs in either all the playoffs or the World Series. Not too shabby.

If he can continue improving in his discipline, I have no problem with Uribe batting 2nd.

Edit: Uribe lead the Sox in BBs in the World Series with 3.

Well, I'm convinced.

I'm convinced that there are still a world full of people who don't understand, misuse and abuse statistics when it is convenient for them.

A sample size of 4 games is not nearly enough to draw ANY conclusion about Uribe's discipline, positive or negative.

FedEx227
02-19-2006, 12:09 PM
You're looking at his body type and making an assumption.

Not really, we've seen the man play for years and I don't think anyone will say hes got 'decent' speed to any base including 1st.

TomBradley72
02-19-2006, 12:21 PM
IIRC, the thinking is that batting 2d forces Uribe to focus more on bat control, contact, strike zone management, and that they think he's got the talent to do that all well. We'll see. He does have solid bat control, so if his late-season zone management continues or improves, it could be a solid move.

and with Thome/Konerko/Dye behind him and Pods on base...he'll see a ton of fastballs...could be a very interesting move...

California Sox
02-19-2006, 12:35 PM
and with Thome/Konerko/Dye behind him and Pods on base...he'll see a ton of fastballs...could be a very interesting move...

That's the fascinating part of this. Ozzie is moving Iguchi down so he'll have the opportunity to swing for the fences more, but with Pods on base and Thome looming, whoever hits second is in the joy spot. Remember how much damage Durham did in that spot? At times Uribe and/or Iguchi is going to have to swing away rather than taking pitches for Pods to steal. Just to keep the other guy honest. If someone wants to throw a 1-0 fastball right down the middle of the plate, every once in a while you've got to make them pay.

NoNeckEra
02-19-2006, 12:39 PM
That's the fascinating part of this. Ozzie is moving Iguchi down so he'll have the opportunity to swing for the fences more, but with Pods on base and Thome looming, whoever hits second is in the joy spot. Remember how much damage Durham did in that spot? At times Uribe and/or Iguchi is going to have to swing away rather than taking pitches for Pods to steal. Just to keep the other guy honest. If someone wants to throw a 1-0 fastball right down the middle of the plate, every once in a while you've got to make them pay.
Here's hoping that with Uribe batting second, he never sees another outside curveball in the dirt. But the dude can sure hit the express.

tick53
02-19-2006, 12:45 PM
These are all nice problems to have. It's gonna be another great season!:smile:

downstairs
02-19-2006, 01:10 PM

No way... I think he's supposed to hit for a lot more power... we may see a break-out season from gooch in terms of homers, RBI, etc...

PaleHoseGeorge
02-19-2006, 01:34 PM

I completely agree. Uribe showed me nothing last year to suggest he could handle the #2 spot. He is out of control at the plate.

Yes, Iguchi has some pop in his bat and he would definitely make a nice #7 hitter. However I would want a #2 hitter better than Uribe to take Iguchi's spot between Podsednik and the meat of the line up.

itsnotrequired
02-19-2006, 01:37 PM
I completely agree. Uribe showed me nothing last year to suggest he could handle the #2 spot. He is out of control at the plate.

Yes, Iguchi has some pop in his bat and he would definitely make a nice #7 hitter. However I would want a #2 hitter better than Uribe to take Iguchi's spot between Podsednik and the meat of the line up.

We really need to see how it works out in Spring Training. If it is a straight-up disaster, no way Uribe bats #2.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-19-2006, 01:39 PM
We'll have to see how it plays out in Spring Training. If Uribe can maintain some discipline, it should work out great.
I guess I'm a little slow on the uptake. The last I heard Uribe was set to play for the Dominican Republic in the WBC, but there's no mention of him in this article:
http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/teams/index.jsp?sid=t805

I was wondering how he was going to work on hitting in the two-hole if he was playing in that travesty - er, I mean tournament (sorry Bud).

itsnotrequired
02-19-2006, 01:41 PM
I guess I'm a little slow on the uptake. The last I heard Uribe was set to play for the Dominican Republic in the WBC, but there's no mention of him in this article:
http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/teams/index.jsp?sid=t805

I was wondering how he was going to work on hitting in the two-hole if he was playing in that travesty - er, I mean tournament (sorry Bud).

He's still listed on the DR roster

http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/rosters/index.jsp?sid=t805

Who knows what the hell is going on...

PaleHoseGeorge
02-19-2006, 01:44 PM
We really need to see how it works out in Spring Training. If it is a straight-up disaster, no way Uribe bats #2.

I'm afraid spring training simply isn't the place to determine whether Uribe can handle his bat with any sort of control batting #2. It will require real games to make that call.

I remember Ozzie talking about moving Iguchi to #7 early this winter (when the roster was still up in the air), but not recently. If the Sox had acquired Miguel Tejada, then by all means, "YES!" Move Iguchi down in the order.

Juan Uribe is no Miguel Tejada.

itsnotrequired
02-19-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm afraid spring training simply isn't the place to determine whether Uribe can handle his bat with any sort of control batting #2. It will require real games to make that call.

I remember Ozzie talking about moving Iguchi to #7 early this winter (when the roster was still up in the air), but not recently. If the Sox had acquired Miguel Tejada, then by all means, "YES!" Move Iguchi down in the order.

No doubt that "real" games will be necessary to determine his true effectiveness in the 2 hole. Last I heard, Ozzie was going to try it out in Spring Training and if things looked good there, he would start the season in the #2 spot. If it isn't working out at the start of the season or even working in Spring Training, then other options must be explored.

Mickster
02-19-2006, 01:51 PM
I honestly believe that if Uribe takes the mindset batting 2 that his job is to advance the runner by bunting, hitting behind the runner, etc. instead of swinging wildly like he does from the bottom of the order, he'll at least be serviceable.

longshot7
02-19-2006, 01:59 PM

I agree as well, that's why I'm predicting at some point this season Jerry Owens will replace Anderson in CF, allowing him to bat 2nd. If his OBP and average are as good as they look, he'll be perfect in the 2 hole.

Daver
02-19-2006, 02:13 PM
I agree as well, that's why I'm predicting at some point this season Jerry Owens will replace Anderson in CF, allowing him to bat 2nd. If his OBP and average are as good as they look, he'll be perfect in the 2 hole.

Jerry Owens is in no way, shape, or form, a ceneter fielder.

TornLabrum
02-19-2006, 02:20 PM

To prevent anybody's panties from getting in a bunch here, let me quote exactly what Ozzie said at SoxFest about Uribe batting second: "We'll see what happens during spring training. If it works out, he'll bat second. If not, Iguchi will bat second."

itsnotrequired
02-19-2006, 02:37 PM
To prevent anybody's panties from getting in a bunch here, let me quote exactly what Ozzie said at SoxFest about Uribe batting second: "We'll see what happens during spring training. If it works out, he'll bat second. If not, Iguchi will bat second."

Too late! My panties are bunched!

:D:

IlliniSox4Life
02-19-2006, 03:03 PM
IMO, as long as the lineup is average, we're contenders again, so that's all it needs be. Best staff in baseball + average lineup = playoffs.

However, this lineup has the power to do some damage. I wouldn't be surprised to hit 200+ homers again, and if Pods stays healthy and Uribe comes close to his production in 2004, this should be a great lineup.

Realist
02-19-2006, 06:28 PM
Well, I'm convinced.

I'm convinced that there are still a world full of people who don't understand, misuse and abuse statistics when it is convenient for them.

A sample size of 4 games is not nearly enough to draw ANY conclusion about Uribe's discipline, positive or negative.

Umm...I used the 4 games as an example to back up my previous statement that Uribe had altered his approach at the plate after he worked with Walt Hriniak.

The adjustments were made earlier in the season. It was not just the 4 games. Check out his August and September stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?playerId=4657) too. Maybe it was just a strange coincidence that Uribe's batting stance changed and his discipline and numbers greatly improved after he met with Hriniak. Maybe he'll go back to being the Uribe he was earlier in the season.

However, something drastically changed for the better for Uribe once he changed his approach at the plate, and it changed a hell of a lot earlier than just those last 4 games of 2005. I find it hard to believe you didn't notice.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-19-2006, 06:49 PM
I can't believe Uribe is batting 2nd. This is pretty.... bad. I hope I am wrong. Or hopefully K-dub makes a deal before ST. Contreras for Abreu? :smile:

Bobbo35
02-19-2006, 06:56 PM

I as well like iguchi in the two spot for the simple fact that he was so effective last year in getting pods over. He has a year under his belt in the majors and should only get better. They will make the best decision though.

Brian26
02-19-2006, 06:56 PM
I can't believe Uribe is batting 2nd. This is pretty.... bad. I hope I am wrong. Or hopefully K-dub makes a deal before ST. Contreras for Abreu? :smile:

Relax- Ozzie said at Soxfest that Uribe batting 2nd is not set in stone. He's going to see what happens during spring training, and then he'll make his final decision.

Contreras for Abreu in pink? I rather keep the pitching and take my chances with Dye in RF.

Brian26
02-19-2006, 06:59 PM
The adjustments were made earlier in the season. It was not just the 4 games. Check out his August and September stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?playerId=4657) too. Maybe it was just a strange coincidence that Uribe's batting stance changed and his discipline and numbers greatly improved after he met with Hriniak. Maybe he'll go back to being the Uribe he was earlier in the season.

However, something drastically changed for the better for Uribe once he changed his approach at the plate, and it changed a hell of a lot earlier than just those last 4 games of 2005. I find it hard to believe you didn't notice.

If you go back and watch Uribe's stance and his approach at the plate during the World Series, he was all over the place.

delben91
02-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Here's a wild idea. Let's let Uribe actually get to camp and maybe participate in a spring training game before we write off the whole notion.

Maybe it won't work, fine, Iguchi goes back in the 2 spot. This is a win-win. If Uribe can handle it, Tadahito is that much more dangerous in the 6 or 7 spot in the lineup. If Uribe can't, we let him play steller defense, and Iguchi slides back in the 2 hole.

FedEx227
02-19-2006, 09:56 PM
Contreras for Abreu in pink? I rather keep the pitching and take my chances with Dye in RF.

Exactly, lets not become the Yankees here and think the only way to repeat championships is by adding a bunch of big names... this is a TEAM.

About the 2-hole I guess we'll see how it goes. If Uribe adapts to it that would be fantastic, but I just don't see the reasoning that Iguchi could be a much better power hitter, etc... isn't it more about whats best for the team, outside of what potential Iguchi has?

1951Campbell
02-19-2006, 10:04 PM

Podsednik
Uribe
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Iguchi
Crede
Pierzynski
Anderson

I like this.

NardiWasHere
02-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Exactly, lets not become the Yankees here and think the only way to repeat championships is by adding a bunch of big names... this is a TEAM.

About the 2-hole I guess we'll see how it goes. If Uribe adapts to it that would be fantastic, but I just don't see the reasoning that Iguchi could be a much better power hitter, etc... isn't it more about whats best for the team, outside of what potential Iguchi has?

Just because a team adds a player of Abreu's quality, does not make them the Yankees. In fact, it was take 20-some rings to do that. I don't understand the resistence some people have to getting star players. Its not like Abreu is known as a prima donna or anything. His addition to the club would not make it any less of a team. Can someone please explain this school of thought to me? Babe Ruth? Too much name recognition! I want a team of hardworking unknowns!

You are right, adding big names is not the only way to repeat. But rejecting the thought of adding MVP-capable players just because they are "stars" isn't a way at all.

BTW, Thome at 3 is the right move in my opinion.

Corlose 15
02-19-2006, 11:33 PM

Provided Uribe can handle the two spot, Iguchi driving in runs would be whats best for the team. It makes the lineup better. Geez, it seems like we've been debating this for months. C'mon opening day!!!:cool:

FedEx227
02-19-2006, 11:44 PM
^ I hear ya, I'm even desperate to see some damn Split Squad ST games.

Babe Ruth? Too much name recognition! I want a team of hardworking unknowns!

While I may be leader of Viva La Resistance, recent history tells us that teams of hardworking 'unknowns' so to say have been the most successful.

2002-Present: Atlanta Braves
2002- Angels
2003- Marlins
2005- White Sox

While teams with a collection of well-known, great talent have seemed to falter.

Mohoney
02-20-2006, 03:54 AM
I was thinking about the lineup the other day, and I would have really liked to see Thome hitting cleanup, protected by Dye and Paulie.

The lineup I envisioned...

Pods
Iguchi
Dye
Thome
PK
AJ
Uribe
Crede
Anderson

With AJ hitting 6th, we can go R-L-R-L with 4 really solid bats. Plus, I can't bring myself to bat Uribe 2nd when we have Iguchi around. A 7-8-9 of Uribe, Crede, and Anderson seems like the best course of action to me because of the reduced offensive pressure on these guys. If these guys give us very good gloves at premium defensive positions and prove to be pesky, tough outs at the bottom of the order, I'll take that any day.

On days that Mackowiak plays, he can also hit in a #2, #6, or #7 spot, so there are still a good amount of options whether he's playing 3B, 2B, or OF.

jdieter
02-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Juan had 283 p.a.'s with the Rockies in 02 with a .650ops. In 04 with the Sox he had 289 appearances at #2 with a .846ops. So it's not such a great stretch to put him behind Podsednik. He'll see allot more heaters than off-speed junk, and from what I've seen he's an excellent bunter. I also agree with some of the previous comments that Walker has helped his patience at the plate.
I'd rather see Thome behind Konerko in the 5 spot. Thome has a pretty high KO ratio and I'd like him farther down the line-up. Here's my preference;

Podsednik
Uribe
Dye
Konerko
Thome
Iguchi
Pierzynski
Crede
Anderson

Flight #24
02-20-2006, 09:26 AM
I honestly believe that if Uribe takes the mindset batting 2 that his job is to advance the runner by bunting, hitting behind the runner, etc. instead of swinging wildly like he does from the bottom of the order, he'll at least be serviceable.

That is what Ozzie's trying to do. Uribe has not shown that he has the ability to be an effective #2, but he has shown improvement in the 2d half of 05 in #2 skills (patience, bat control, etc.). If he's put in a position where his primary offensive role is to do those things, it becomes a focus issue for him.

IMO if you have a slight downgrade for the team at #2, but improve Uribe's performance dramatically and move Iguchi to the #6, you effectively improve the bottom of the order significantly in exchange for a slight downgrade at #2. It remains to be seen if it will work, but much like Ozzie's ST'05 "Rowand might play LF" comment, it'll all depend on what they see in workouts, etc when Juan's supposedly approaching things like he'll need to as a #2.

Ol' No. 2
02-20-2006, 09:34 AM

Juan Uribe is no Miguel Tejada.It's a long season. Even if they start the season with Uribe hitting second, if it doesn't work out it will be apparent pretty quickly. Most teams are still shaking out their lineup in April.

ondafarm
02-20-2006, 10:05 AM
At risk of being called a popinjay, here are a few thoughts on the batting order.

First, Ozzie will certainly juggle the lineup a bit because of his giving guys days off. Expect one versus lefties and one versus righties.

Second, Ozzie is very tenative about Uribe in the number two hole. Your number two guy needs to be a solid contact hitter, have a modicum of power and better than average speed. But the position is also draining because you must spend time studying the pitchers and knowing what you can do with which pitch. Can Uribe be highly focussed enough to do both the high study SS and #2 roles? Time will tell. He's earned a chance to try. In the meantime, Iguchi will be available and probably working to reduce his strikeouts.

Third, Dye will not be hitting third right now. He always starts dead cold and no one with an ounce of brains would bat him third until the weather has warmed up.

Fourth, Thome was brought in to bat third. That gives the Sox a L-R-L-R stroke at the top of the order, the most important place. AJ may hit sixth or seventh against righties and Widger may hit eight against lefties.

Fifth, Anderson will be getting some protection this year so look for him to bat ninth mostly and be rested against tough righties.

TheOldRoman
02-20-2006, 10:08 AM

I agree with that, but Tejada is not a 2 hitter, either. If we got Tejada, he would have batted third, which still leaves Iguchi in the 2 spot.

I am very optomistic about Uribe in the 2 hole, but as everyone has said, we shall see. No harm in trying it out.

TornLabrum
02-20-2006, 10:11 AM
It's a long season. Even if they start the season with Uribe hitting second, if it doesn't work out it will be apparent pretty quickly. Most teams are still shaking out their lineup in April.

Except for teams managed by Jerry Manuel who are still doing that in July.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Except for teams managed by Jerry Manuel who are still doing that in July.

You beat me to it. Jerry was still figuring out ways to get his 25th man into games well into September... and by then he had 40 to work with.
:o:

I wonder what revolutionary ideas Jerry has as first base coach?
:wink:

:jerry
"Don't lead off. They're expecting you to do that. Just wait here. At the crack of the bat, run back to first and wait for my sign. We might want to pinch run for you, so be ready."

Hangar18
02-20-2006, 10:49 AM
I was thinking about the lineup the other day, and I would have really liked to see Thome hitting cleanup, protected by Dye and Paulie.

The lineup I envisioned...

Pods
Iguchi
Dye
Thome
PK
AJ
Uribe
Crede
Anderson

No way to DYE hitting 3rd. He played some of his worst baseball in that spot. I like him farther down the lineup, he seems more relaxed down there

TaylorStSox
02-20-2006, 10:54 AM

I predict that you still won't know what you're talking about.

Hangar18
02-20-2006, 11:43 AM
I predict that you still won't know what you're talking about.

Longshot and a couple of other wsi'ers did predict ...............that Owens has a chance to be the surprise player of the year.

TaylorStSox
02-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Longshot and a couple of other wsi'ers did predict ...............that Owens has a chance to be the surprise player of the year.

You can predict that stuff all you want. Everyone that's actually seen him play says, A. He's a work in progress. B. He's not a CF. C. He needs to really work on his baserunning to be an effective SB threat in the majors.

Hell, even Razor Shines said he was "shocked" Owens was able to hit at the AA level. I'm in Owens corner. However, it's unfair to put expectations so high for a guy that's clearly not ready for the majors.