PDA

View Full Version : Felix Hernandez

whitesoxfan1986
02-17-2006, 11:59 PM
When did the M's sign this guy out of Venezuela? How old was he? Why wasn't everyone after him? This guy has filthy stuff. And to think he is only 19 years old. Geez. Heck, I am 19 and this guy is my age and pitching in the majors. If he was an American he would still be in the minors because of draft restrictions, and would have been in the 2004 draft. Why do they let teams sign players out of other countries whenever they want to? Why don't they have an 18 year old age limit on signing players out of foreign countries? If you have any answers to my bevy of questions please answer them.

ChiSoxRowand
02-18-2006, 12:03 AM
When did the M's sign this guy out of Venezuela? How old was he? Why wasn't everyone after him? This guy has filthy stuff. And to think he is only 19 years old. Geez. Heck, I am 19 and this guy is my age and pitching in the majors. If he was an American he would still be in the minors because of draft restrictions, and would have been in the 2004 draft. Why do they let teams sign players out of other countries whenever they want to? Why don't they have an 18 year old age limit on signing players out of foreign countries? If you have any answers to my bevy of questions please answer them.

You bring up a great question. I think the M's signed him when he was 16, and he started pitching in the U.S. when he was 17. Teams can sign a player when they turn 16. When do most players start playing in the U.S?

goofymsfan
02-18-2006, 05:43 AM

They signed him as a non-drafted free agent in July 4, 2002 with the help of Mariniers scouts Bob Engle, Pedro Avila and Emilio Carrasquel. So he was indeed 16 when the M's signed him. Part of the reason the he signed with the M's was because Freddy was with the M's at the time.

Corlose 15
02-18-2006, 10:59 PM
IIRC, the Sox signed Magglio when he was 16 as well so the M's aren't the only team to do it.

StockdaleForVeep
02-19-2006, 12:49 AM
Regardless, i will wait for a full season and for continued sucess before givin this guy a thumbs up or down

bear in mind he was 4-4 in 12 games

goofymsfan
02-19-2006, 01:20 AM
Regardless, i will wait for a full season and for continued sucess before givin this guy a thumbs up or down

Having seen him pitch in both the minors (at Tacoma) and in the Majors, the kid does have good stuff. The problem for him happens when he doesn't control his emotions. When he doesn't get the calls he thinks he should have gotten, the tends to throw the ball rather than pitch. I think having Chavey (the M's new pitching coach) around will help quite a bit as they have kind of a father/son relationship going. What could become an issue is the new Japanese catcher the M's have signed.

It's going to be one interesting year for the M's :(::?:

Craig Grebeck
02-19-2006, 01:41 AM

Bear in mind how useless wins are in pitching. He had a very good ERA.

SOXSINCE'70
02-19-2006, 01:44 AM
IIRC, the Sox signed Magglio when he was 16 as well so the M's aren't the only team to do it.

I think you're right,but IIRC,"Gagglio" was a Houston Astro.
They let go of him and the Sox picked him up.When he made his
major league debut in Sept.of 1997,it was only because Ozzie
was pestering Ron Scheuler so much he had no choice but to
make him a late season call up.

SOXSINCE'70
02-19-2006, 01:49 AM
It's going to be one interesting year for the M's :(::?:

Wait till you get a load of this guy:

:everett:

"I told you,shut yo' mouth".

goofymsfan
02-19-2006, 10:39 AM
Wait till you get a load of this guy:

:everett:

"I told you,shut yo' mouth".

I know many Sox fans liked him and what he did for the team last year. I am very apprehensive about having him on the team. I still remember the incident that happened between him and Jamie Moyer a few years ago. Now they are on the same team. EEP!:o: People keep saying he has mellowed out in recent years. I'm going to try to give him the benefit of the doubt, but it's gonna be tough. For me, he ranks right up there with A-rod on players I don't like.

Brian26
02-19-2006, 11:31 AM
I know many Sox fans liked him and what he did for the team last year. I am very apprehensive about having him on the team. I still remember the incident that happened between him and Jamie Moyer a few years ago. Now they are on the same team. EEP!:o: People keep saying he has mellowed out in recent years. I'm going to try to give him the benefit of the doubt, but it's gonna be tough. For me, he ranks right up there with A-rod on players I don't like.

All Everett did was get timely hits all season, including those two clutch triples during the Detroit series when we clinched it.

I don't recall the Moyer incident. What happened?

goofymsfan
02-19-2006, 12:49 PM
All Everett did was get timely hits all season, including those two clutch triples during the Detroit series when we clinched it.

I don't recall the Moyer incident. What happened?

It was from a few years ago. Carl decided it appropriate to make an obscene jester after hitting a homerun off of Moyer among other things.

santo=dorf
02-19-2006, 02:45 PM

Statements like theses give BP more ammo to look down at Sox fans and the casual baseball fans who disagree with their methods.

I'm not trying to defend BP here, but look at his other numbers.
He played on a crappy team (he had a better winning % than the team,) a WHIP of 1.00, 3.12 GB/AO, 8.22 K/9, and a 2.67 ERA. Before you use the Safeco excuse, he had a road ERA of 2.37.

But why would anyone give this kid a thumbs up with a .500 record???
:rolleyes:

NonetheLoaiza
02-19-2006, 03:17 PM
I think you're right,but IIRC,"Gagglio" was a Houston Astro.
They let go of him and the Sox picked him up.When he made his
major league debut in Sept.of 1997,it was only because Ozzie
was pestering Ron Scheuler so much he had no choice but to
make him a late season call up.

I'm pretty sure that the Sox were the first to sign him...sometime around 1991 I think.

California Sox
02-19-2006, 06:02 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Sox were the first to sign him...sometime around 1991 I think.

You are correct. Mags was at the Astros academy along with the great crop they had then (Hidalgo, Abreu, etc.) but they chose not to sign him. When you look at him next to a guy like Hidalgo, you can understand why.

soxinem1
02-19-2006, 07:57 PM

I agree, as I cautioned with Brandon McCarthy, these young guys need some seasoning before we give the Cy Young Awards and HOF plaques. We don't need to make a 'flash in the pan' or 'exposed over a full season list' do we?

SouthSide_HitMen
02-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Part of the reason the he signed with the M's was because Freddy was with the M's at the time.

Hopefully Ozzie has some more neices, cousins, etc. that he can hook King Felix up with.