PDA

View Full Version : We Have Created a Monster!

Jenks4Pres
02-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Although I may be alone on these fears and I anticipate a huge backlash for these comments, I think Ozzie has too big of an ego nowadays.

The guy blows off the president and then takes cheap shots at players and managers!?Who does he think he is???

I know 99% of White Sox fans think Ozzie walks on water, and I can't blame those who do. (HE WON A WORLD SERIES!) However, I am worried that his ego has gotten too big and this could have a negative effect on my White Sox.

I will forever love the Ozzie of 2005, the post WS2005 Ozzie could be a nightmare to deal with.

Anyone else concerned or should I just relax and go take another piss on Wrigley Field?

Chip Z'nuff
02-17-2006, 04:34 PM
No Worries! Ozzie has been taking cheap shots at players and managers his whole career.

chaerulez
02-17-2006, 04:36 PM
He didn't feel like breaking his vacation plans to go to the White House. Big deal. And do you think his opinion of A-Rod is his alone and that no one else within MLB feels that way.

Pureone
He was the same during the season.

For some strange reason we didn't complain... maybe because instead of focusing on what Ozzie is talking about we were focusing on the White Sox stomping their way through the post-season!

Just a thought.:smile:

Crede_Fan
Ozzie is the same as he was when he played SS. He hasn't changed.

Daver
02-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Ozzie is the same as he was when he played SS. He hasn't changed.

Yep.

He's still an idiot.

Martinigirl
02-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Ozzie is Ozzie. He is missing the filter that prevents most from saying exactly what they think the moment they think it. Sometimes this is refreshing, sometimes it is cringe worthy.

And going back to the White House thing, he explained it again today, it wasn't a political statement and he didn't 'blow it off'. He chose to spend time with his family. Let it go............

Corlose 15
02-17-2006, 04:46 PM
First of all he didn't blow off the president, he accepted an invite twice and when they scheduled it during his previously scheduled family vacation he declined. Not to mention president Bush excused him from the visit.

Secondly, I think what he said about A-rod and Garciapara about the WBC was funny. I think its a joke that you can play for a country because you mother's step sister's aunt's cousin took a semester abroad there.

One thing I am a bit worried about though is Ozzie falling into a trap. He needs to be careful because if there's anything the media likes more than building up a hero, its tearing one down.

I_Liked_Manuel
02-17-2006, 05:21 PM
I know 99% of White Sox fans think Ozzie walks on water,

that's because he can

nasox
02-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Who cares? Ozzie is Ozzie, and he would be a sellout if he stopped acting like Ozzie. And "we" didn't create anything.

:dtroll: :rolleyes:

tick53
02-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Ozzie is Ozzie. My only concern is how much will the organization take it.

oeo
02-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Although I may be alone on these fears and I anticipate a huge backlash for these comments, I think Ozzie has too big of an ego nowadays.

The guy blows off the president and then takes cheap shots at players and managers!?Who does he think he is???

I know 99% of White Sox fans think Ozzie walks on water, and I can't blame those who do. (HE WON A WORLD SERIES!) However, I am worried that his ego has gotten too big and this could have a negative effect on my White Sox.

I will forever love the Ozzie of 2005, the post WS2005 Ozzie could be a nightmare to deal with.

Anyone else concerned or should I just relax and go take another piss on Wrigley Field?

He blew off the President? He said that he wanted his wife and sons to come with. They were not given the privilege to do so and he said he would not go unless his family could accompany him.

Chisox003
02-17-2006, 05:30 PM
that's because he can
No no, you're thinking of KW with the walking on water

Ozzie can only fly

:redneck

I honestly don't care what backlash he himself gets, as long as the spotlight's off the team

I like the "us against the world" mentality anyway

Dan Mega
02-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Michael Jordan blew off the President on more than one occasion. How come no huge story was made about that?

Also, despite taking cheap shots at players, he is still behind them if they give it their all every game. He gets pissed if a player gets lazy or stupid (Marte).

JohnBasedowYoda
02-17-2006, 05:42 PM
He gets pissed if a player gets lazy or stupid (Marte).

And then he plays them every chance he gets(Marte).

pdimas
02-17-2006, 05:45 PM

There you go lemming go with what the media is feeding you. Have you even seen how much Ozzie has been traveling and what he has been up to since we won? Let the man take his vacation. WHO CARES.

This just reminds me of all of the threads tearing the hiring of Ozzie to shreds. Poking fun at his accent his exciteability etc. At the the time I felt he was exactly what we needed and I still do. The thing is with Ozzie people know what they are getting there are no surprises there. People appreciate that I mean they may not agree all of the time with him but they appreciate it. Its like office politics. Sometimes someone will be very nice to you in person but deep inside they can secretly have it in for you. With Ozzie there is no fear of that. Ozzie isn't scared to hurt someone's feelings. I mean cmon they are all big boys. I really dont understand this culture of coddling and *****footing around. I like someone to get right to the heart of the matter. That is how things get resolved the fastest. He is the spark that we needed and still need.

pdimas
02-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Michael Jordan blew off the President on more than one occasion. How come no huge story was made about that?

Also, despite taking cheap shots at players, he is still behind them if they give it their all every game. He gets pissed if a player gets lazy or stupid (Marte).

Its cheap if they hear it from a second hand source. Everything Ozzie says about his players on camera is something he has told them to their face first. In this day and age people who do things like that are rare. Just ask anyone who has ever worked for the government. Nothing ever gets done because people are too scared to bring up a problem they may have.

spiffie
02-17-2006, 05:50 PM
If only we'd hired Cito Gaston we'd be prepping for a three-peat right now.

A. Cavatica
02-17-2006, 05:57 PM
I support Ozzie 100% on "blowing off" the President and on calling out A-Rod.

First of all, Ozzie won a World Series. The President sucked as Texas Rangers owner.

And everything he said about A-Rod and Nomar is true.

34 Inch Stick
02-18-2006, 12:01 PM
I saw a homeless man walking down the street today. He said whatever came to his mind and told it exactly as he saw it....no one seemed to love him.

Palehose13
02-18-2006, 12:06 PM
I saw a homeless man walking down the street today. He said whatever came to his mind and told it exactly as he saw it....no one seemed to love him.

That homeless man didn't bring the White Sox a world series championship. :D:

soxinem1
02-18-2006, 12:15 PM

All of these comments he makes are only treated as they are until:

1. The team stops winning
2. A player(s) pop(s) off in the press in response

I've always had a worry about Guillen's trap when things get rough. While I feel optimistic about this coming season, it only takes a few egotistical wisecracks to blow this thing up.

There's nothing wrong with the guy 'speaking his mind', but there is nothing wrong with knowing when to clam up too.

One of the silliest characterizations is a guy who knows when to shut up or say 'no comment' being labeled a 'sell out'.

Now he's apologizing to A-Rod for commenting on something he had no business saying anything about to begin with. Why did Oz even take the bait or waste the time commenting on who the guy plays for since they are neither from the same country nor members of the same organization?

The White House trip is done. 2005 is done. And the WBC is something he is personally taking no part of, so he should concentrate on preparing his team for a title defense, and keeping the White Sox, and himself, focused on the upcoming season.

Leave the circuses in NY and BOS and get down to business, right?

gaelhound
02-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Yep.

He's still an idiot.
But he's our idiot:D: !

BackNBlack
02-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Ozzie is Ozzie. My only concern is how much will the organization take it.

I agree, I think they will have a clash somewhere down the line because of his perspective on things. Does this remind anyone of Da Coach?

gehrtsox7
02-18-2006, 06:10 PM
I agree with you, he was acting like an ass on "Real Sports" with Bryant Gumbel. Alot of people back up people that like to "Speak their minds" and act out of emotion, but in the long run its what separates great players and legends. People like Terrel Owens and Michael Irvin will always be 2nd to
Jerry Rice. And Allen Iverson will never be Michael Jordan. Its not too late for Ozzie, but we've all seen the way these stories end, Right now, he obviously feels invincible. Alot of successfull people fall for this trap.

IlliniSox4Life
02-18-2006, 06:38 PM
I agree with you, he was acting like an ass on "Real Sports" with Bryant Gumbel. Alot of people back up people that like to "Speak their minds" and act out of emotion, but in the long run its what separates great players and legends. People like Terrel Owens and Michael Irvin will always be 2nd to
Jerry Rice. And Allen Iverson will never be Michael Jordan. Its not too late for Ozzie, but we've all seen the way these stories end, Right now, he obviously feels invincible. Alot of successfull people fall for this trap.

Ok, your examples aren't fair. Jerry Rice and Michael Jordan are the best players ever in their respective position/game. T.O and Irvin are second to Jerry Rice because their skills are. Iverson is not as good a player as Jordan. Not only are Rice and Jordan's skills better, they both won, and won a lot. There's plenty of old baseball players who weren't saints but not many people remember that about them.

Look at Ditka. He ran his mouth all over this town but is still more loved than any other Chicago sports icon besides Jordan. Why? Because he coached the Bears to a super bowl. Ozzie will forever have his place in this town, and nobody will care what reporters have to say.

TDog
02-18-2006, 06:55 PM
First of all, Guillen had a better year in 2005 than the president did.

The president should have called Ozzie to congratulate him in the Houston clubhouse last October instead of blowing Ozzie off.

Steelrod
02-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Ozzie is Ozzie, and will always be Ozzie.
I like what he has done, but like less what he says, but at least he is honest and says what he thinks. To be told off by Darth Vador is at minimum the pot calling the kettle black! I personally can't wait for the NY series.
Baseball in the south side is going to be fun for a long time to come!
Go White Sox, Go Ozzie.

RadioheadRocks
02-18-2006, 07:35 PM
First of all, Guillen had a better year in 2005 than the president did.

The president should have called Ozzie to congratulate him in the Houston clubhouse last October instead of blowing Ozzie off.

Hey I'm not the only one who thought about this and wondered why there was no congratulatory call from the President after the Sox won Game #4.

StockdaleForVeep
02-18-2006, 07:44 PM

Christ shut up with this whole presidential thing, Ozzie did not blow off the president, it isnt mandated that he MUST VISIT the president, he was invited and he declined for family reasons. He met the president when he won with the marlins, and president wished him luck as manager of the whitesox

He speaks what is the truth, a manager is only as good as his players, when he says this he puts himself down too, admitting he is not good, he has good players.

StockdaleForVeep
02-18-2006, 07:47 PM
All of these comments he makes are only treated as they are until:

1. The team stops winning
2. A player(s) pop(s) off in the press in response

Exactly, the media and most people here laughed and enjoyed ozzie's character durin the season, then we hit that horrid slump and rats began jumpin ship and dark clouds forming saying ozzie is a bad manager and crap. I had bandwagons and i hate most uninformed fans

soxwon
02-18-2006, 08:02 PM
oz is fine sox are even better.
dont sweat it-its all a plan.

FarWestChicago
02-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Look at Ditka. He ran his mouth all over this town but is still more loved than any other Chicago sports icon besides Jordan.Umm, I think you forgot about Walter. :?:

RedFoxSoxFan
02-19-2006, 12:17 AM
Who cares? Ozzie is Ozzie, and he would be a sellout if he stopped acting like Ozzie. And "we" didn't create anything.

:dtroll: :rolleyes:
seriously. We are whitesox fans. we are world champions:cool: [still get the chills.] If ESPN, the yankee/redsox (bandwagon)jumpers, and anyone else wants to keep pointing to the ozzie thing instead of the skills and talents on this team, well...... im prepared to roll with the whole "under the radar" mantra again.

Edit: hey my 100th post, and it only took me a shade under 3 years. Go me.

IggyD
02-19-2006, 12:24 AM
Yep.

He's still an idiot.

Wow..that is harsh toward a WSC manager.

I heard Bill Brasky taught him everything he knows.

SOXSINCE'70
02-19-2006, 12:25 AM
I know 99% of White Sox fans think Ozzie walks on water

No,you've got it all wrong.To borrow from the old KW/Chuck Norris post,
Ozzie Guillen does not walk on water;the water must ask Ozzie's permission
to walk across it in the first place.:D: :D:

No,seriously,relax.Ozzie Guillen will give opinions about anything
you ask him.If you didn't realise this when he was appointed Field
Manager after the 2003 WS,then shame on you.Check out his career
with the White Sox.The guy was (and still is) a motormouth.He never
shuts up.To some Sox fans (like myself),this endears him to us.
Do you remember the days of "Sleepy" Gene Lamont or,God Forbid,
Jerry Manuel?? Manuel seemed like a nice guy,someone you'd want
to have a drink or dinner with and talk baseball.That doesn't make
a good Field Manager.The same goes for Lamont.Nice guy,but there
are times when a team needs a swift kick in the ass to get started.
Rest assured,Ozzie Guillen is one man who can issue that swift kick.

TDog
02-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Umm, I think you forgot about Walter. :?:

I thought I was the only person who kept a Walter "No-Neck" Williams baseball card at the computer.

SOXandILLINI
02-19-2006, 09:46 AM
like it or not, ozzie is an idiot. even by his own words, managers are not very important, although i believe there are alot of exceptions to that rule, earl weaver comes to mind immediately. he is a loose cannon that within 2 years will embarrass the organization enough to get himself fired. he did next to no managing during the playoffs and ws, and thats fine, keep out of the way. but to suggest ozzie is some kind of managerial genius is blatantly absurd. if you like him thats certainly your peroggative. i personally find him to be a clown. and for all of you that love him so much cuz ozzie is ozzie, remember he said screw the fans when he played here.

Martinigirl
02-19-2006, 10:14 AM
like it or not, ozzie is an idiot. even by his own words, managers are not very important, although i believe there are alot of exceptions to that rule, earl weaver comes to mind immediately. he is a loose cannon that within 2 years will embarrass the organization enough to get himself fired. he did next to no managing during the playoffs and ws, and thats fine, keep out of the way. but to suggest ozzie is some kind of managerial genius is blatantly absurd. if you like him thats certainly your peroggative. i personally find him to be a clown. and for all of you that love him so much cuz ozzie is ozzie, remember he said screw the fans when he played here.

If Ozzie did nothing, how do you explain we won a World Series with him, and with Jerry Manuel we were awful? Ozzie is the one that asked KW to get more speed, Ozzie is the one that didn't mess with the minds of our pitchers. Ozzie is the one that lead the team to the World Series.

I am not going to say that Ozzie hasn't put his foot in his mouth in the past, and I sure will do it again in the future, but to say he did NOTHING is insane.

The Racehorse
02-19-2006, 10:23 AM
I find it funny that anyone, media included, would consider Ozzie's big mouth akin to a never-experienced-before baseball phenomenon. It's as if Leo Durocher never existed.

BTW, I posted the above in the Steinbrenner thread. I just think that Ozzie is all hot, harmless air. As long as he has the clubhouse pointed in the right direction [which he does], his mouth is nothing more than colorful window dressing.

soxinem1
02-19-2006, 10:16 PM
I find it funny that anyone, media included, would consider Ozzie's big mouth akin to a never-experienced-before baseball phenomenon. It's as if Leo Durocher never existed.

BTW, I posted the above in the Steinbrenner thread. I just think that Ozzie is all hot, harmless air. As long as he has the clubhouse pointed in the right direction [which he does], his mouth is nothing more than colorful window dressing.

To the contrary, Leo, Billy Martin, Davey Johnson, all good managers who all shared the same trait: they moved around a lot as managers and they had the weakness of saying too much at the wrong time.

Despite what Williams says, if things start to go south and Ozzie is throwing gas on the fire, he'll be following Leo, Davey, and Billy's path too......

The Racehorse
02-20-2006, 09:14 AM
To the contrary, Leo, Billy Martin, Davey Johnson, all good managers who all shared the same trait: they moved around a lot as managers and they had the weakness of saying too much at the wrong time.

Despite what Williams says, if things start to go south and Ozzie is throwing gas on the fire, he'll be following Leo, Davey, and Billy's path too......

That's my point. As long as Ozzie wins and controls the clubhouse, his mouth is harmless. :cool:

You're right about if things go south and Ozzie throwing firebombs... Leo, Billy, Davey, Ozzie, weren't those the names from the little rascals? :redneck

Hangar18
02-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Ozzie has ALWAYS been like this ............ its refreshing and I Always like to hear what he has to say. The problem is, for over 2 decades, the White Sox have been completely IGNORED by the cub-loving media in this town, and now that we are WS Champions, everything he says will now be magnified and the Media will try and make something of it. I had no problem with what he said about A-Rod, obviously King George did, screw Steinbrenner, hes been flapping his gums for years and hes jealous because his precious Yankees didnt win last year, and Chicago is getting a little attention right now and not New York. Whatever Mr. Steinbrenner, why dont you get your payroll up to $300 Million before the season starts ........

SweetnesSox
02-20-2006, 09:45 AM
with all due respect, Kenny Williams came out publicly and said that he was thinking of not attending the visit to the white house because he disagrees with the war in iraq. Ozzie just said he was busy. If Ozzie had said he disagrees with the war, their would have been a frenzy. We'd be hearing from Bush, Chavez (not eric), and every reporter in the country.

The Critic
02-20-2006, 09:47 AM
I thought I was the only person who kept a Walter "No-Neck" Williams baseball card at the computer.
Dude, are you nuts????
He means Walt Dropo.....
:D:

MsSoxVixen22
02-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Ozzie is Ozzie. He is missing the filter that prevents most from saying exactly what they think the moment they think it. Sometimes this is refreshing, sometimes it is cringe worthy.

And going back to the White House thing, he explained it again today, it wasn't a political statement and he didn't 'blow it off'. He chose to spend time with his family. Let it go............

I agree. The thing I love about Ozzie is that he says VERY straight forward, he speaks his mind, doesn't give a **** what other people think and doesn't take **** from anybody. I admire that most and it's rare nowadays to find someone like that. Regarding the White House, give the guy a break! He was with his family! His job requires him to be away from his family for most of the year! Like Martinigirl said, let it go!