PDA

View Full Version : Cub fans bend under pressure

irish rover
01-09-2002, 10:17 AM
Increase in night games almost a go, hard to fight the Cubune machine I quess

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/trib/20020109/lo/neighbors_bending_on_night_cub_games_1.html

duke of dorwood
01-09-2002, 10:22 AM
Tribune Muscle-there's no defense for it

cheeses_h_rice
01-09-2002, 12:06 PM
This can only be a good thing. Trust me, I lived 3 blocks from Wrigley for 2 years, and the more night games they have, the more there's going to be hooliganism from the fans attending the games (public urination, noise), and growing resentment from those who live in the neighborhood. As the Cult of Wrigley grows, the park and its attendant woes may soon be an albatross around the neck of the neighborhood. Wrigleyville will be a zoo 27 times a year -- you got to love it.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-09-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
This can only be a good thing. Trust me, I lived 3 blocks from Wrigley for 2 years, and the more night games they have, the more there's going to be hooliganism from the fans attending the games (public urination, noise), and growing resentment from those who live in the neighborhood. As the Cult of Wrigley grows, the park and its attendant woes may soon be an albatross around the neck of the neighborhood. Wrigleyville will be a zoo 27 times a year -- you got to love it.

Great point, cheeses. The Cubune is squeezing the golden goose by its neck. Sure, they'll make more short-term profits, but the neighborhood is going to suffer. When people stop wanting to live near Wrigley Field (and the value of residential housing around the ballpark begins to sag), the tawdry gentlemen's clubs and frat house bars will completely overrun the last remaining civil residents. Then it's look-out-below for Wrigleyville--just like it was for every other urban neighborhood surrounding a ballpark in the 50's and 60's.

By then, the Cubune will have squeezed the Flubs for everything they're worth, and sell them to somebody who'll immediately want a whole new stadium built somewhere else. Guess who will end up paying for it?

:lynch&mcfail
"The communists have nothing on us when it comes to creating five year plans!"